Webcast download speed

tomv

Earning My Ears
I'm planning on joining in on the webcast on Thursday, and Disney sent me an e-mail advising I do a system check. Well, I have all the required software, but my download speed checked out at 740 kpbs instead of the "required" 1000 kpbs. Anyone have any experience using a conection with less than 1000 kpbs download speed for the webcast?

I didn't pass, either. I'm at 481 :scared1: I didn't have any issues watching the December one, though.

Time for me to bite the bullet and get wireless internet...that's pretty pathetic for a high-speed connection!

Unfortunately for me it was accurate. Speedtest gave me the same response.

Same for me too. However, I have another PC that I will check. Also will check the speed of my laptop and my netbook. Crazy. I think my main computer was also at 481! My Grandson's PC is much newer, so will try that one. Strangly, my netbook will probably be the fastest....I'll post back.

Sometimes it depends on the time of day or the server you are testing from.
Ours varies from 600-1200 go figure... :confused3

One of the major complaints about the prior webcast was the quality of the video. This speed test makes me wonder if it isn't Disney's subtle way of suggesting "if the video doesn't look great, your connection is to blame."

Most streaming servers will throttle the video quality up or down depending upon the speed of the connection. Slower connection=worse video quality.

Just a guess.

Not sure I entirely buy it, though, because the quality of the last webcast was poor even for a 500+ kbps connection.

Last night when I did the speed test, speedtest.net showed 9.5 mb down which is accurate. The one linked to in the e-mail showed 2.5 mb the first time and then 5.5 mb the second. The funny thing about the second test is the dial was pegged out past the 10+ indicator.

My connection checked in at 19.6 Mb/s download and 3.94 Mb/s upload. And that was through my 802.11 n WiFi network. Ahh, gotta love that FIOS. :)

Yea their speed test is crap... It showed I only do 2.5m down and 6m up... :laughing: On speedtest.net I can do 20m down and 30m up!

I am a DVC member but Disney has not contacted me about the webcast. Do you have to have a certain number of points to qualify we only have 180 at AKL.

I am a DVC member but Disney has not contacted me about the webcast. Do you have to have a certain number of points to qualify we only have 180 at AKL.

You didn't miss much. After 35 minutes of Disney commercials, the incentives are a free cruise based on the number of points you buy or call your guide for $ off incentives.

System requirements will be the least of your issues!!! My system checked out fine but after 43 min I still could not log in oh well at least the Dis let me know that it was nothing good anyway:thumbsup2

My system tested completely fine, but after nearly 20 minutes of waiting, I am still not on the webcast. What a mess.

Nevermind ... my DH forwarded the confirmation email. We are good to go.

bwvBound said:
Would someone mind posting the link for Disney's system/speed check? I've run both tests today from both speedtest.net and IBM/Webdialogs (a webcasting tool I use daily) -- and show completely different results from the two.

Personally, I think asking a user to supply 1000 kbps is an unreasonable expectation??

I'm planning on joining in on the webcast on Thursday, and Disney sent me an e-mail advising I do a system check. Well, I have all the required software, but my download speed checked out at 740 kpbs instead of the "required" 1000 kpbs. Anyone have any experience using a conection with less than 1000 kpbs download speed for the webcast?

how can i view the webcast? what is the sign up sight? thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!