We have been doing WDW all wrong!!

neptuneflame

Mouseketeer
Rope drop!!! Just got back from five days at the parks, and wow!!! I know, I know...you all have been telling me for years. We did rope drop once, on our first visit as a couple in 2002 (so long ago it's impossible to imagine!) and we thought "never again". Vacations are supposed to be "relaxing"! Well, goodbye to all that!

This trip, my sister, nephew, and mother joined us. Sister was determined to make it to MK before opening every day. As it was DNephew's first trip, and spring break crowds were expected to be near worst, and I am the designated planner, I went along. And, wowee!!!! We got so much accomplished in those first two hours!

I didn't even think checking boxes would be that important, but it turns out we're raising mini-commandoes over here. Once we hopped off a ride, the five- and three- year old would say, "Which ride are we going to now?" We got everything on our list done by noon, and did FP+ after lunch. Pirates captured my DNephew's imagination, and over the course of the trip, I think he rode it 8 times.

On a personal note, pre-trip my sister spoke often about how this would be the "only" trip till DNephew was older. Once we got back, she texted me with hopes we would return next year and bring the whole family (her DH, our dad and brother, etc). I consider that a successful trip!:cool1:

You are preaching to the choir. We been rope dropping and getting lots done in two hours for many trips. It is the way to go. :thumbsup2

So great to hear that you all had a wonderful trip!

And, :welcome: to the "Rope Drop Squad!"
…………………………………………………….
yellow-smiley-salute_zps488ede4a.gif

Sounds like it turned out great!!! :thumbsup2

My sister is great at getting there before rope drop. We usually miss it by a few minutes no matter how hard we try. Even so, we get a ton done in those first couple of hours. Well worth getting up for! :)

That's so encouraging to hear! Rope drop was absolutely one of the best bits of advice I got from this site before our trip last year as well. Next time, we will be going in March over spring break, and I was worried about how much we would actually be able to accomplish in major crowd times, even arriving at rope drop.

Glad you had a great trip - sounds like you planned an amazing time for the family!

We have had 10 trips since 2002 with the last 8 since 2007 and we have never missed a rope drop. And this is from a woman that likes to sleep until 9 every chance I can but when we are at Disney is the only time I never hit the snooze button on the alarm. I can't wait to get to the parks each morning! We also stay until pretty near closing too. :thumbsup2

Not pictured: Robo

(I'm the one taking the photo.)

Naturally. I, on the other hand, am in the picture...fully camouflaged...master of stealth. Once you realize I'm there, it's already too late. :cool2:

We've been rope dropping since 1979. In those days, everyone made a mad dash for Space Mountain and then Small World. And we wore our pass books with A to E Tickets attached to buttons and belts.

We are commando DLR rope droppers so I'm glad to hear it works just as well at WDW. I call it Prime Time. I would never dream of sleeping in on a Disney vacation- that's what weekends at home are for! ;)

How early before park opening do you soldiers recommend arriving at the gates?

I am very much not a morning person-- even waking up at Disney is painful to me. BUT, I can't deny that the morning we managed rope drop for an EMH at AK was wonderful. It wasn't too hot yet, we were able to walk on the Safari and EE and look at everything without so many people in the way.

Going to try to make rope drop a few times on my next trip, if not morning EMH. As difficult as I find it to wake up early, I know it is absolutely worth it.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Maybe thinking back on this thread will give me that boost of encouragement to rise and shine when the time comes. :)

We tried so hard to be rope drop people, but we can never manage it. One day all three of us adults slept through three alarms! Good for you though, ride one for me :thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm an avid rope dropper but I don't mean to be. I'm so spastic when I'm at WDW that I never set an alarm, I wake up every morning at 6:30 hyper and ready to roll.

I actually tried to sleep in on my last solo and I couldn't make it past 7:15, how do people relax enough to sleep in at WDW?:confused3

We try to make rope drop most mornings but do sleep in a few times too. My trouble is that I like the late nights too and it catches up with me.

One of my best mornings the last time we stayed onsite is when I woke up at 6 and I took an early morning walk from POFQ to PORS. It was so lovely out there!

I prefer to sleep in but my hubby started getting us up last time in time for rope drop. One day we did three parks in one day. This year we are planning all four parks in one day...which is doable as long as you hit rope drop. However, that will be done early in the trip so I have the remainder of vacation to recover...lol!

I know....it's kind of hard to describe how great it is!

We are West Coasters and getting up for RD at 7 am was, to our bodies, actually getting up at 4 am....which was really hard after going to bed the night before so exhausted we thought we were going to die (extremely happy :p)

BUT we did make it to rope drop one day at the MK, and I did rope drop at Epcot by myself one day. And all I can say is this: If you want the magic back just like 20 yrs ago, if you are missing the feeling of having "Walt" in the parks with you, if you are frustrated because the joy seems to be gone, GET THERE AT ROPE DROP!! I can guarantee that you will walk right into the WDW you had thought you'd lost! pixiedust:

I am NOT a morning person what-so-ever. On weekends, I'm a sleep-until-past-noon person.

Until I get to Walt Disney World... Then I'm on DISNEY time!

Early EMH every opportunity I get, RD for everything else! Close down the parks, including evening EMH!

Sometimes I even sneak back to the room for a nap in between... Shh....

OOH-RAH! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter