WDW with a Toddler, or A Tour of WDW Play Areas - May 2012 - *FIN 5/30*

I'm dealing with some internal strife -- something I like to call The Great Stroller Debate. It's a seemingly endless back-and-forth I have with myself over whether to take our stroller or buy a new one (and if we buy a new one, which one to buy).

You see, I'm a bit of a stroller hoarder. We have the Chicco Cortina that we got as part of a travel system before DS was born. The Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat is pretty darn spectacular and the stroller has some awesome features, too, but it ... is ... HUGE. It takes up the entire length of the back of my car (a small SUV), and it doesn't leave room for much else. It stays in our garage and for now I use it to take DS for walks around the neighborhood, but he's close to outgrowing it since it isn't very wide.

About six months ago, I started researching other strollers and kept coming back to Maclarens and the Baby Jogger City Mini. We bought a Maclaren Volo off eBay (I think Maclaren sells discontinued and/or overstocked items there) back over the summer. It's nice enough but doesn't give DS any back support; it's an "umbrella stroller" in the truest sense. So not long after that, we bought a Maclaren Quest -- also off eBay, but from an independent seller. It's perfect for airports, trips to the mall and things like that, but I'm thinking for a full day at a theme park, I want DS to have more of a "travel stroller."

I think I was here on the DIS (most likely) when, a few months ago, I first heard about the Britax B-Agile, which sounds like a refined version of the City Mini. I was leaning toward getting it for our trip (and to replace the Chicco as our around-the-neighborhood stroller) when news broke of the 2012 City Mini.

From what I understand, the 2012 City Mini has the same features as the B-Agile (the kick bar swoops down, giving you easier access to the basket, and the stroller locks automatically when it's closed). It's about $50 more than the B-Agile, but I'm all about supporting original thinking and design -- but I'm also all about saving money where I can. ;)

So, what do you think we should do?

1. Use our Maclaren Quest?
  2. Buy the Britax B-Agile?
  3. Buy the 2012 Baby Jogger City Mini?

If you have experience using any of them at Disney, I would love to hear about it!

I had the same debate with myself before purchasing the Britax B-Agile. But now that we have it and we've used it some I can say it's definitely the single most BEST baby purchase I have made in the last 2 years. I love it, DH loves it, DS loves it. :lovestruc We're actually selling our huge travel system because we love the Britax so much. Anyways, I know you're on my report so you'll see a full use report on there but if/when you decide to buy it, go with Amazon or something like that. I got it for way cheaper on there.

Are we like some bizarre FL twins? haha. The reason I saw this is because you internal stroller struggles!!

We used to have the Chicco Cortina. A few months ago I bought the B-Agile. Here is a copy and paste of my Amazon review!

If only this stroller had come out back in 2010! It didn't exist just yet, so I had registered and received a Chicco Cortina travel system. While I loved the Keyfit 30 car seat, the stroller was another story. As baby got bigger over the course of her first year, the stroller seemed to get heavier and bulkier. I knew I wanted to get an umbrella stroller for the toddler years, but a friend recommended I ditch the Chicco and get a whole new light weight stroller.

I eyed the City Mini, having heard many happy reviews. While the Britax is *very* similar, having read other reviews, it seemed to take the best parts of the City Mini, make it its own, and improve on it. I decided on the B-Agile, and I can say after using it for 2 months, I am a very happy Mommy! The stroller folds and opens with easy. It takes up a small piece of real estate in my Accord's trunk. The handling is awesome, and it strolls just as well in grass as on the sidewalk. When my toddler has made a couple of spills or food stains, a little soap and water lifts the stain with ease on the red fabric. I also love the generous sunshade; it is perfect when out in the Florida sun.

My daughter used to get fussy after spending a lot of time in the Chicco, whereas she seems happy as a clam in the B-Agile. I get lots of compliments when I take this stroller out for a spin. Since it goes up to 55 pounds, this will be the stroller that will take us through the rest of the toddler years!

Months later, I still love our B-Agile. I am so happy we ditched the Cortina, as opposed to keeping it and getting an umbrella stroller. If you google the BA ---look for the video review from baby gizmo.

:wave: Hi! Another May DISer joining in. Planning the trip's almost as much fun as the trip itself, so I enjoy reading about other people's plans.

How exciting planning your little one's first visit to Disney. Our kids were 7, 6, and 5 on their first trips--Now they're 18, 16, and 9. They still love going! :goodvibes

As for your stroller struggle---Well, it's been way too long since I've used one, so I'm no help! ;)

Welcome!! Thanks so much for joining in. I agree that planning is half the fun, and I am SO happy to hear your kids still enjoy Disney trips! I am a obviously a huge fan, and I'm hoping at least one of our kids (we only have one so far, but we hope to have more) loves it like I do. You've given me hope, LOL!

Followed you over from my PTR. Your plans sound great so far and your DS so so very cute! I'm not done getting caught up but wanted to mark my place. My DH had never been to WDW before either and I took him for his first time in 2003. He's been a convert ever since. And I have to say that I didn't even know that a PnP mattress existed!!! I've just been putting a quilt down on ours to cushion it more for DS. It worked when we went to Pensacola in August. I'm hoping it works again for Disney. Otherwise I"m going to be wishing I had one of those mattresses :rotfl:

Oh, I'm sure a quilt works just as well. We mainly got the mattress to travel with, but we also kept DS in the PnP next to our bed for the first few months. Since we hope to have more kids down the road, we figured it was a good investment -- the so-called "mattress" that comes with the PnP is too darn hard!

I had the same debate with myself before purchasing the Britax B-Agile. But now that we have it and we've used it some I can say it's definitely the single most BEST baby purchase I have made in the last 2 years. I love it, DH loves it, DS loves it. :lovestruc We're actually selling our huge travel system because we love the Britax so much. Anyways, I know you're on my report so you'll see a full use report on there but if/when you decide to buy it, go with Amazon or something like that. I got it for way cheaper on there.

Yay! Yes, I'm definitely planning to use Amazon. I've been comparing prices, and theirs are definitely the cheapest.

Are we like some bizarre FL twins? haha. The reason I saw this is because you internal stroller struggles!!

We used to have the Chicco Cortina. A few months ago I bought the B-Agile. Here is a copy and paste of my Amazon review!

If only this stroller had come out back in 2010! It didn't exist just yet, so I had registered and received a Chicco Cortina travel system. While I loved the Keyfit 30 car seat, the stroller was another story. As baby got bigger over the course of her first year, the stroller seemed to get heavier and bulkier. I knew I wanted to get an umbrella stroller for the toddler years, but a friend recommended I ditch the Chicco and get a whole new light weight stroller.

I eyed the City Mini, having heard many happy reviews. While the Britax is *very* similar, having read other reviews, it seemed to take the best parts of the City Mini, make it its own, and improve on it. I decided on the B-Agile, and I can say after using it for 2 months, I am a very happy Mommy! The stroller folds and opens with easy. It takes up a small piece of real estate in my Accord's trunk. The handling is awesome, and it strolls just as well in grass as on the sidewalk. When my toddler has made a couple of spills or food stains, a little soap and water lifts the stain with ease on the red fabric. I also love the generous sunshade; it is perfect when out in the Florida sun.

My daughter used to get fussy after spending a lot of time in the Chicco, whereas she seems happy as a clam in the B-Agile. I get lots of compliments when I take this stroller out for a spin. Since it goes up to 55 pounds, this will be the stroller that will take us through the rest of the toddler years!

Months later, I still love our B-Agile. I am so happy we ditched the Cortina, as opposed to keeping it and getting an umbrella stroller. If you google the BA ---look for the video review from baby gizmo.

:laughing: Seriously, it's like we're the same person! Thanks for sharing your review. And funnily enough, Baby Gizmo's is the first video review I watched when I started my research. Hollie really sold it for me.

Sooo I’m thinking about swapping parks between Day 1 and Day 2, going to Animal Kingdom when we arrive Wednesday and saving Epcot for Thursday – mainly because I feel there’s more for us to do at Epcot, and it would be nice to split it into two halves of one day.

Regardless of which park we visit on Day 2 (for now let’s say Animal Kingdom), we will wake up and have breakfast in our room, then either take the bus or drive to the park in time for rope drop. (Does Animal Kingdom do a big opening ceremony like the Magic Kingdom?) DH and I really like Flame Tree Barbecue, so I probably won’t make an ADR for this day – at least not for lunch. And I don’t see us staying in the park all day, or returning after a midday rest. This will be our “easy” day.

Attractions to aim for:

• Kilimanjaro Safaris – For DS’ love of animals.
  • Maharajah Jungle Trek – More animals…
  • Pangani Forest Exploration Trail – …and even more.
  • The Boneyard – DS can spend hours on a playground.
  • Affection Section – Who doesn’t love a petting zoo? We might end up pushing this one down the list since you have to take that ssllloooowwwww train to get there.
  • TriceraTop Spin – Dumbo with dinosaurs!
  • Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade – If we’re still in the park when parade time rolls around, this could be fun chance for DS to see all sorts of characters.
  • DINOSAUR – DH and I might do rider swap for this one, or any others that interest us.
After leaving the park and (hopefully) getting DS a good nap, I’d like to spend the evening in the pool or at the Dig Site – or maybe at Downtown Disney, or even Epcot if we add park hopping to our passes. We will see how we feel. Early night this night, as the next day is … Magic Kingdom Day!!!

we'll be there around the same time

CSR May 2nd to May 12th :)

Think I need to celebrate cinco de mayo at Mexico in Epcot ;-)

Edit to add...I have the Baby Jogger City Mini on my wishlist for when I have a baby, but the B Agile looks even better. It's slightly different over here(UK)in that the b-agile is a 4 wheel stroller. The US version looks great, might have to import myself one ;-)

Your Animal Kingdom plans look great! :thumbsup2

Any interest in seeing some shows? Finding Nemo, or Festival of the Lion King?

Also, I don't know how your DS feels about characters (afraid or not), but there are several characters in Camp Minnie-Mickey. It's over near the FOTLK theater. The characters are dressed in their safari clothes---really cute. :)

we'll be there around the same time

CSR May 2nd to May 12th :)

Think I need to celebrate cinco de mayo at Mexico in Epcot ;-)

Edit to add...I have the Baby Jogger City Mini on my wishlist for when I have a baby, but the B Agile looks even better. It's slightly different over here(UK)in that the b-agile is a 4 wheel stroller. The US version looks great, might have to import myself one ;-)

Hello! Thanks for joining in! So cool to hear you will be at CSR the same time as us. Have you stayed there before? And I agree -- definitely spend some time in Mexico on Cinco de Mayo (or, as I like to call it since my family and friends call me Tee, Cinco de Tee-oh ;)).

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our B-Agile; I can't wait to test it out! There are quite a few people on the boards who are fans of the B-Agile, but a lot of people love the City Mini, too, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Your Animal Kingdom plans look great! :thumbsup2

Any interest in seeing some shows? Finding Nemo, or Festival of the Lion King?

Also, I don't know how your DS feels about characters (afraid or not), but there are several characters in Camp Minnie-Mickey. It's over near the FOTLK theater. The characters are dressed in their safari clothes---really cute. :)

Yes, I would LOVE to see some shows. I'm a huge fan of the Nemo musical, and though we've never seen FotLK, I've heard such great things about it. If we're around one of the theaters near showtime and can get in, I'm all for it.

I don't know how DS will do with characters, either. He did OK with Santa, but that's a little different. We have an ADR for Crystal Palace, but it's on our last day, so I can cancel it if we see that he's scared of them. I have a feeling his first Disney trip will be a learning curve for us all!

Subscribing! I'm another May Dis'er! Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS!

I recently realized the Flower & Garden Festival will be going on while we're there. We've never seen it before (we usually visit at Food & Wine time), but I'm eager to see the topiaries, and I think DS will like them, too.

So now we're planning to go to Animal Kingdom and spend a half-day there for our first day, and spend the day at Epcot (with a midday break) on our second day.

The third day is definitely Magic Kingdom Day. I'll post plans for that one soon...

Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot is so pretty. We were there in March, 2009. Here are three of my favorites:

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

YAY! Welcome, and yes -- geaux Tigers!!

When are you going to be there?

We will be there May 22nd thru May 29th! Can't wait!

MHTeacher - I've always wanted to go during the Flower and Garden Fest. Beautiful pics!

Desiree-Looks like our Disney dates overlap. We're celebrating a graduation too! :)

Elleshoodat--You're welcome! :)

MHTeacher- Awesome! Our babies are growing up!

Came over from my ptr! Your son is adorable! Sounds like you have a great trip planned! We did mods too until we rented dvc points and that comes out to the same price as a mod for us so we are enjoying checking out some new resorts.

Nice choice for a stroller! We are still planning on bringing our city select but that might change as the year goes on. I look forward to leger13's review to the britax though!

As for the f&g festival, I'm jealous! We also always go during f&w or December but I'd love to try out April or may. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Came over from my ptr! Your son is adorable! Sounds like you have a great trip planned! We did mods too until we rented dvc points and that comes out to the same price as a mod for us so we are enjoying checking out some new resorts.

Nice choice for a stroller! We are still planning on bringing our city select but that might change as the year goes on. I look forward to leger13's review to the britax though!

As for the f&g festival, I'm jealous! We also always go during f&w or December but I'd love to try out April or may. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to read Leger13's review, either.

I've never thought about renting points before. Is it a complicated process? How did you find an owner to rent from? I'm going to comb your PTR and see if you've explained it there...

I recently realized the Flower & Garden Festival will be going on while we're there. We've never seen it before (we usually visit at Food & Wine time), but I'm eager to see the topiaries, and I think DS will like them, too.

So now we're planning to go to Animal Kingdom and spend a half-day there for our first day, and spend the day at Epcot (with a midday break) on our second day.

The third day is definitely Magic Kingdom Day. I'll post plans for that one soon...

I LOVE the F&G festival!! Good choice!! I bet your DS will love it. My favorite thing was the sand sculpture and the butterfly area. EPCOT is beautiful normally but it's even more so during the F&G festival IMO

I LOVE the F&G festival!! Good choice!! I bet your DS will love it. My favorite thing was the sand sculpture and the butterfly area. EPCOT is beautiful normally but it's even more so during the F&G festival IMO

You're back?! Yay! (Even though I'm sure you wish you were still there.) I can't wait to read all about it.

Epcot is my second favorite park, and I can't wait to see it even more beautiful than usual. I'm happy to see you agree with my change in plans. :)

[FONT=&quot]It’s been a rough week at Casa de Elleshoodat. DS picked up a nasty virus somewhere, and DH or I have had to stay home with him every day this week. So to pick myself back up and to keep the PTR going, I thought I’d post the trip report I wrote for our last trip to the World – a long weekend April 30-May 2, 2010.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All Disney World trips are special, but this one was especially so for a couple of reasons:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]We were celebrating my birthday on the trip, as I turned the big 3-0 three days after we returned home.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]This was last childless trip to the World. DS was due that October, and while I absolutely cannot WAIT to see the Disney magic through my children’s eyes, I was happy to have one last trip to do what we want when we want. (Of course, this also means I wasn’t able to ride any of the three mountains at Magic Kingdom, but our baby’s well-being was well worth the sacrifice.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The TR is mostly written in the present tense, so if you see something like “I am pregnant,” don’t freak out. ;)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here we go![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A few months before the trip, I made reservations for a room with a king bed at Port Orleans French Quarter … finally! I’d wanted to stay at POFQ forever, but for one reason or another, it hadn’t worked out. Since we’re Florida residents, we saved between 30 and 40 percent on the room. We had one day left on our Play 4 Days passes, which we bought in October 2008. They served us well, getting us into two Food & Wine Festivals, the Animal Kingdom for my birthday last year and the Magic Kingdom this trip. We hadn’t been to the MK in a couple of years, and it’s my favorite of the four (though Epcot runs a close second and, depending on my mood, sometimes comes in first).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The same day I made our resort reservations, I made a dining reservation for lunch at The Plaza. I wanted a sit-down meal for a nice break in our day, but I didn’t want something too heavy. The restaurant’s sandwiches and salads seemed to fit the bill. (I also made a reservation for ‘Ohana, but it was for 9:30 Friday night. As much as I want to eat there, that’s way too late for us to eat dinner, so I canceled it.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Friday, April 30:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We were all packed and ready to go this morning with the intentions of leaving work at 3 and getting on the road. Well, I didn’t end up leaving work ‘til 3:30. Not bad, but not what I’d planned, so my Type-A self was getting anxious.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I drove downtown and picked up Nick, who was leaving his car in his office’s parking garage for the weekend. I ran inside to use the bathroom (what can I say? I’m pregnant) and we hit the road, arriving on property two hours later. I had done online check-in, and when we went to pick up our package the CM asked if we were celebrating anything special. I’m a purist and since we weren’t going to be there on my actual birthday I wasn’t going to say anything, but Nick told her I was turning 30, so she gave me a birthday button – my first one! She also wished me a “happy 21,” which made me even happier – those were the days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I went to the bathroom next to the gift shop (love those old-fashioned toilets), met Nick in the gift shop and we went to our room, No. 1103. It was a first-floor handicapped-accessible room facing the parking lot, which wasn’t a total deal-breaker; there was nice landscaping between the room and the lot, and the location couldn’t be beat for walking back to our room after a long day (we typically drive to the parks).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We moved in, and I took some pictures. I love fleurs de lis, so I had to shoot every one I could find. We lay down for a bit to watch CNN’s coverage of the oil spill – ugh, what a mess BP made.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Between 6 and 6:30, we went for a walk around the resort and had an impromptu photo shoot in front of one of the fountains, then we hopped into our car – after I took a bathroom break in the room, I’m sure – and drove to Buffalo Wild Wings at the Crossroads. We loooove us some spicy food, and the BW3s nearest us is about a half-hour away, so it’s become sort of a tradition to eat there while at Disney World.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We were at the restaurant for a couple of hours. It has the MLB package, so Nick was able to watch most of the Mets-Phillies games. I think that was right around when the Mets started playing well, so he was happy. I had hot boneless wings, Nick had hot wings with a side of wild sauce, and we split some Buffalo chips with cheese. I drank Sprite, and Nick had a mojito and water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When we got back to the resort, we walked to the food court for some sweet treats: a Mickey Mouse head-shaped Rice Krispies treat for Nick and a brownie for me. The brownie was pretty dry, but it was huge and the frosting was yummy, so that made up for it. We sat on a bench between the food court and gift shop and just people-watched for a while, then returned to our room and took showers. I went to sleep between 10 and 10:30, Nick not long after me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Saturday, May 1:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had tossed and turned most of the night. I couldn’t get my temperature right (stupid window units), and I guess I was too excited for what lay ahead of us. I woke up between 6:30 and 7, then at 7 I got up to get dressed and go get breakfast. I got a breakfast platter and a fruit cup for us to split, plus some apple juice for me, figuring Nick would brew and drink coffee in the room. When I went to check out, the CM couldn’t find the breakfast platter on the register, and she almost charged me $2 more for another platter that came with a Mickey-head waffle. Um, no – $6.29 is more than enough for me to spend on some eggs and potatoes, thankyouverymuch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I got back to the room, Nick was up and about, so we ate our breakfast and got ready to go. We were out the door at 8 and had started to drive to the Magic Kingdom when I informed Nick the park didn’t open ‘til 9. He was about to turn around and head back to the resort, but I convinced him to stop for gas, then by the time we parked and took transportation to the gate, it would be nearly 9.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We stopped at the Hess to fill up and were in the parking lot in no time, parking in Pluto. We took the monorail over, went through the bag check and turnstiles, and waited with the masses for the park to open. I hadn’t seen the opening ceremony since I was a child, if at all, and I admit I shed a few tears while watching it. I’ll blame that one on hormones. Yeah, that’s it … hormones.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On our way down Main Street, we stopped at the deserted bakery to get some coffee for Nick (he never did brew any in the room). I got a bottle of water and we continued on our way, stopping at the Partners statue to have a PhotoPass photographer take our picture with our camera. Our first stop was the Haunted Mansion, and we took our time getting to Liberty Square. There was NO ONE over there except the creepy CMs (creepy because they were in character). The CM at the door told Nick he couldn’t bring his coffee in, so he stashed it along the queue and we went on the ride – Nick’s favorite in the Magic Kingdom.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He retrieved his coffee after a great ride (the graveyard scene is my favorite, while he prefers the party scene), and we went into Fantasyland. We ran into one of Nick’s coworkers outside Peter Pan’s Flight, so we stopped and talked to her and her family for a bit. Then we went on it’s a small world. We were the only two people on our boat, and since it’s my mom’s absolute favorite ride, I sent her a couple of photos I took with my phone. Nick had “hidden” his coffee outside again, but someone had picked it up (darn those cleaning CMs for being on top of their game!). We got FastPasses for Peter Pan, then went to see Mickey’s PhilharMagic – a favorite of both of ours. The show was as cute as always, and afterward we went on Snow White’s Scary Adventures. We were in the third row of a vehicle behind a set of parents with two little girls. Both of the girls were carrying cameras, and one of them took pictures of literally every scene – without even looking at the screen to see what she was shooting. If I were a huge Snow White fan, I would’ve been angry about the flash that kept going off, but Nick and I just laughed the whole way through. Thank goodness for digital cameras; I can’t imagine how many rolls of film that girl would’ve gone through 20 years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We walked into Tomorrowland and stopped into Cosmic Ray’s for a bathroom break for me and more coffee for Nick. This time, we sat down for a while in the sweet, sweet air conditioning (it was HOT out!) so he could drink most of it. We looked at the map and plotted our next few attractions, making our way back to Peter Pan’s Flight to use our FastPasses. This is one of my favorites; I just love “flying” through the sky and watching everything going on below. Plus, the music from that film makes me smile.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By now the park was starting to get really crowded, whereas earlier in the day it had been perfect crowd-wise. I don’t know why this was our first time being at a park at rope drop, but I can’t imagine why anyone would not get to the park as soon as it opens. You accomplish so much more that way![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyway, I wanted to see Toontown before it’s torn down to make way for the Fantasyland expansion, so we walked through Minnie’s and Mickey’s houses before backtracking to Fantasyland for FPs for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This isn’t a must-do for me, but Nick thought Peanut would like it … and I think he or she did! What baby doesn’t love Pooh, right? FPs in hand, we found a quiet place in Tomorrowland to make a couple of calls. I chatted with my cousin, who had a gallstone earlier that week but must’ve passed it; she was out shopping with our moms, who are sisters, looking at stuff for the baby. (It’s my parents’ first grandchild, and they are SO excited. I love it.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We took a relaxing ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, then I went to the bathroom again while Nick went into Mickey’s Star Traders. Up until that time, I’d seen the same onesies – few of them gender-neutral – in all of the shops, but I found the cutest onesie there. It’s white with short sleeves, and on the front is a picture of several of the characters on Main Street with the castle in the background. The back says “Magic Kingdom.” I know the rule about buying something you HAVE to have when you see it and I wasn’t taking any chances, so I snatched it up. It was a bit on the pricey side, but hey – it’s our baby’s first Disney onesie.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There were no warnings for pregnant riders back at Pooh, our next stop, but I’d forgotten about the part where you bounce with Tigger. It seemed a bit rough at the time, but I guess the motion is fluid enough that it’s nothing to worry about. Here we are a few weeks later, and Peanut’s heartbeat is as strong as ever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was nearing our reservation time at the Plaza, so we went to check in. Our wait wasn’t too long – maybe 10 minutes – but Nick got a kick out of this: When we checked in, the CM said, “We should be able to seat you shortly. We’re just waiting for other guests to get up and leave.” Um, okayyyy. We were seated at a corner table that gave us a great view of the room. We ordered drinks to start (Diet Coke with lemon for me, water for Nick), then the mayor of Main Street came in. The 100th guest (I guess of the day) was dining at the time, and he made a big production out of giving the family a certificate, having his picture taken with them and giving them a free dessert. Gotta love that Disney magic. For lunch, I had a cup of the tomato bisque soup, and we split a cheeseburger and the turkey sandwich, both with fries. The turkey sandwich was really good, but the burger was just so-so. We were too full for dessert, so we paid our check and left so “other guests” could have our seats. ;) It was our first time dining there, and I was really impressed with the Plaza. The décor was cute, and the food was not too heavy and just right for lunch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After lunch, we went to Adventureland, where we walked through the Swiss Family Treehouse. It was Nick’s first time, and he declared it one of his favorites. We picked up FastPasses for the Jungle Cruise, then rode Pirates of the Caribbean after a 20-minute wait. That was longer than I like to wait for Pirates, but at least we were out of the sun for a while. Our trip on the Jungle Cruise was nice. We had a really lively skipper, and the other passengers weren’t bumps on logs; everyone laughed at his jokes and answered him when he asked questions. After our cruise, we wandered into Frontierland and stopped at an ice-cream cart for a couple of Haagen-Dazs bars. We took them over to the launch of the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island and ate in the shade, then got on the next raft. We “explored” a bit, then took a break in the shaded seating area near Aunt Polly’s. By this time we were both dragging, so we took the raft back to the mainland to hit up a few more attractions before calling it a day.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our next stop was the Hall of Presidents. There was a 15- or 20-minute wait ‘til the next show, but we didn’t care. It was nice and cool in there, and after looking at the historical objects in the cases, we took a seat on the floor. We filed into the theater and enjoyed the show, which we hadn’t seen since the addition of President Obama. We were a really liberal crowd, and everyone cheered for presidents Lincoln, Kennedy and Obama.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We crossed the hub back into Tomorrowland for another of my favorites, the Carousel of Progress. Nick isn’t a huge fan of this one, but he puts up with it for me … ahh, the things we do for love. On our way out of the park, we walked through the Emporium. I saw a few things I wanted, but I had seen them in shops earlier in the day and knew they’d be at the World of Disney when we made it over there. (It was nothing I HAD to have.) We stopped at the statue of Minnie and Roy Disney to wave goodbye to the castle (well, I waved; Nick kind of looked at me like I was nuts), then took the ferry back to the parking lot. We took the tram to Pluto and drove back to the resort, getting “home” about 5:30. We took showers and lay down to rest for a while, with Nick catching a catnap. We walked down to the ferry landing on the Sassagoula River, where we had a loooong wait. And of course we were right in front of That Guy – this super-obnoxious father who was loud and embarrassing. Hell, I was embarrassed for him; I can only imagine how his teenage daughter was feeling. But then again, she may be used to it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We made it onto the second or third ferry, sitting as far as possible from That Guy, and enjoyed the leisurely ride to Downtown Disney. We went first to Paradiso 37, put in our names and were told the wait would be 35 minutes. We figured the other restaurants would have a long wait, too, but decided to check at Bongos anyway. The wait there was about the same and I was craving Paradiso more than I was craving Bongos, so we started walking back over there. We took our time, stopping in D Street – a store I have no use for; walking through it once was enough – and wouldn’t you know it? Our pager went off when we were still a ways away. We hightailed it back to Paradiso and were seated in no time. We ordered and gulped down a couple of waters. After our “run” through DTD, we were parched, plus there’s no air conditioning in Paradiso; it’s entirely open-air. By this time it was close to 9 p.m. and way past our usual dinnertime, so we ordered some chips and salsa to start. They were really good! The chips were fresh and crisp, and the salsa had a really great flavor to it. The menu had changed a bit since our last visit to Paradiso, and we both got something new to us: enchiladas for Nick and tacos for me. Both came with black beans, which we love, and the main dishes were really good, too.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After dinner we went to World of Disney, where we picked up quite a few things and added the “bonus” beach towel at the register. We paid with a Disney Rewards card and got a 10 percent discount, which was nice; I had thought you only get the discount when paying with your actual Disney Visa. We then went to Team Mickey, where Nick found a new Met shirt he didn’t have and picked up a couple of things for his brothers’ birthdays. Then it was time for dessert. As much as we love Ghirardelli, the line was outrageous, so we went to Goofy’s Candy Co. and got a couple of cookies instead. On our way back to the ferry, I noticed Wolfgang Puck Express. I’d wanted to eat there but thought it was clear on the other side of DTD, so we missed it this trip. Our wait for the return ferry wasn’t nearly as long, and we were back in our room by 11, with lights out 15 minutes later. We were pooped.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sunday, May 2:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don’t know how, but I got a solid eight hours of sleep last night. I woke up at 7 but stayed in bed taking naps ‘til 9:30, at which time Nick and I woke up for good. We got dressed, packed and went to the food court for breakfast. Nick had the breakfast platter and a couple of milks, and I had the Western omelet with chocolate milk. Our breakfast was ridiculously expensive, which reinforced what I’ve known all along: When we come to Disney World with our children, we’ll have to bring breakfast foods to have in the room. I’m not about to shell out $40 for a mediocre breakfast for four or five.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had to do some work that afternoon, so we hit the road and were home within a couple of hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All in all, it was a great trip. I tired more easily than I had on previous trips, partly because it was so darn hot and partly because of the whole pregnancy thing. I was upset it was a Grad Nite and I didn’t get to see Wishes, my favorite of the nighttime shows, but there’s always next time. Speaking of which, we’re hoping/tentatively planning to return to the World for the 2011 International Food & Wine Festival. It will be our baby’s first trip, and I’d love for my parents to come along. When I was growing up, we took multigenerational family trips pretty often, and I absolutely love them. Anyway, in October or November 2011, our baby should be about a year old, and we can celebrate Nick’s and my third wedding anniversary, too![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tomorrow we find out whether we’re having a boy or a girl. We’re thrilled either way, of course, and can’t WAIT to bring him or her to the World.[/FONT]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter