WDW with a British accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Do the British generally like WDW more than Disneyland Paris? If so, why?

There is more to do, the weather is better and it's better value for money. I have been at Disneyland Paris for Fireworks night when it has had to be totally cancelled because of the weather. DLP would only be a short break whereas we could spend weeks in Florida.

2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?

I have nothing against the French but the Disney American welcome seems warmer.

3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?

Many of us have learnt some French at school so we can get by but I struggle to follow when the voice-over or show is in French. Needless to say my kids wouldn't have a clue!
4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?

Personally not at all but, as others have said there are hours of travel at either end to consider too.
5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?

The £ to $ exchange rate is good and you can get more for your money in the US
6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?
I have never flown into Sanford so I don't know

I wouldn't say I have an accent but I have had many conversations with charming Americans who love to listen to me talk. I find our similarities and differences facinating and I consider these chats an added bonus to my trip :)

To Shazmart:

Oh, I love it when foreigners come to Florida...though I must say that WDW isn't Florida. I lived for a while in South Florida near Fort Lauderdale and rarely, if ever, heard a British accent, and there are plenty of touristy things to do there and it's actually warmer than Orlando in the winter.

Further, people of other generally colder locales such as Scandinavia enjoy warm weather, too. Why am I not hearing Swedish accents or Swedish, for example, at every turn?

What I find odd is that I hear the British accent more often than any other accent...the disproportion is huge...that's why I asked if there was some reason why the British came here as opposed to Finns, French, Italians, Germans, Hungarians, etc. Of course the fact that the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes is open to residents of the UK but not to residents of Germany, Norway, New Zealand, Japan, etc. peaked my interest. Is it discriminatory? Probably.

Finally, I would think that Disneyland Paris would be more appealing--after all many of the Disney characters came from French fables.

Cendrillon - Cinderella
Blanche Neige et les sept nains - Snow White and the seven dwarfs
La Belle au bois dormant - Sleeping Beauty

I am not from the UK but from Germany,currently living in Norway. I just wanted to add that I visit DLP very often, because for me it`s cheaper and a short journey and I love it there, and I can assure you that there are also many british people, which is great because they are nice people who love Disney. So I think it`s the same with every country: those who can afford it and want to go on a long holiday will rather go to Florida, others will travel to DLP for a short break with Disney magic. And I never had to use a french word at DLP!
As with the other european countries I think Disney is not as present as for exempel in the UK. Scandinavians love to travel to warm places but they will rather pick Spain or Asia, because Disney or parktouring doesn`t mean so much for them... and we have almost no commercials for WDW or DLP whether in Germany nor in Norway so it`s not a number one destination here, but I can assure you if you would travel to Mallorca, Spain you would hear a lot of German! It seems as if every nation has favourite destinations for a relaxing holiday.. and I really enjoy meeting people from around the world!

Oh, and btw Snowwhite is actually a german tale;)

1. Do the British generally like WDW more than Disneyland Paris? If so, why?
Weather's better and the location's more suited to the extended vacation time we Brits get...
2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?
I'm part-Frog so can't really comment - see answer to question 1...
3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?
Not particularly an issue for me - I've had more problems trying to order smaller portions in a US restaurant than I've ever had communicating in France...
4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?
Not in my experience. Eurostar is a very pleasant civilised experience - I'm looking forward to lunch and a glass of champagne when I travel to Paris for Easter. As for flying to the US, I guess it depends on the carrier but I've never experienced anything negative so no problems either way...
5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?
I should say so!
6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?
I fly into MCO - I have no idea about who does/doesn't own Sandford and I don't use any of the UK airports listed either...
And finally, with regard to the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes, this struck me as very interesting:

"Void outside the fifty (50) United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and where prohibited by law."

Hmm, the United Kingdom....

7. Why not include, say, Australia, Italy or Brazil?
8. If a family from New Zealand is in WDW and is chosen at random to win a prize as part of the YOAMD sweepstakes, and it is discovered that the family is not from one of the above countries or locales, is the prize retracted?
Obviously I have no idea why Disney would include/exclude certain countries. An educated guess would be to suggest that as Brits spend an increasing amount of time and money in WDW, we are eligible to reap some of the rewards...

After having spent a least a dozen days at WDW since the purchase of my FL resident AP in December, 2006, I'm having difficulty spending one day in the parks w/o hearing one of many British accents at least 20 times a day...
And when I lived in Paris I had difficulty spending a couple of hours in my neighbourhood without hearing one of many American accents at least 20 times. Now what's that ride called? Oh yes, "It's a Small World After All..."

I love going to WDW - but have never been to Disneyland Paris. I have nothing against the French, I just don't think there is as much to do over there and also the weather has a lot to be desired.

In WDW Florida, there is Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Water Parks, Universal. Paris has none of these. We like to take our vacation in October and I can't see me walking around Paris in shorts in October, or for that matter swimming in a French version of Typhoon Lagoon !!

Also I have only ever flown in Sanford ONCE but most of the time into International. It is much closer.

I think most Brits also don't have a problem with the French language either. After all most of us got taught French at school anyway, so don't have a problem with it.

You must be the only American that doesn't like us coming over. I get on very well with them when I am over there. I find them all so welcoming and friendly. (I don't go on the rollercoaster rides but enjoy sitting watching, and for most of the time usually chat to someone from somewhere in the USA - and find they are so friendly too). ......... I somehow don't think I would get that in Paris !!

wow! what a bigoted and racist report! I'm glad for your sake it wasn't gays or hispanic or blacks you'd attacked.
I'm also glad that Walt Disney was neither bigoted nor racist in his love of other cultures and that he took the time to visit hundreds of different countries. I'm glad too that in your belief that your country is so well off it can afford to ignore the millions of pounds my country spends in it every year.
Also very glad that the hundreds of Americans (yes, some black, some gay and some even hispanic!) that I've met during my four visits to WDw and approx ten visits to other parts of your beautiful country are not as narrow minded as you and will make the effort to chat to me about all types of subjects.

Are you reading a different thread?? I didnt think the OP's post was "bigotted and racist".

trouble is that certain people jump on anything with labels like "racism" and "biggotry" turning an innocent question into some political statement as you seem to have done.

and I think you'll see from the answers from the Brits (the poor ones being "attacked" as you say) including me - that we didnt take offence and certainly didnt see it as racist.

If you did see it as racist - I suggest you are a little narrow minded yourself.

Are you reading a different thread?? I didnt think the OP's post was "bigotted and racist".

trouble is that certain people jump on anything with labels like "racism" and "biggotry" turning an innocent question into some political statement as you seem to have done.

and I think you'll see from the answers from the Brits (the poor ones being "attacked" as you say) including me - that we didnt take offence and certainly didnt see it as racist.

If you did see it as racist - I suggest you are a little narrow minded yourself.

In support of Carolfoy I did think the original post was somewhat less than welcoming.

In support of Carolfoy I did think the original post was somewhat less than welcoming.

certainly wasnt "racist or biggoted".

problem comes when people jump on that bandwagon for no reason. people are all too ready to use those phrases and its not on - very infamatory.

I think I posted somewhere about the sheer food quantities that Americans seem to be able to consume against the British food portions ..... and I CERTAINLY wasnt being racist! merely and observation from a different culture

I mean think of it the other way around...
If there was a British boards about London, for example and someone wrote "why are there so many americans visiting London?" I wouldn't think that was racist!?!!
I don't understand! :confused3
All the OP was trying to do was wonder why Disney has a lot of British vacationers? And they didn't even say anything bad about it!!!
I often wondered the same thing actually, because everywhere you go you hear those lovely accents..

I am not narrow minded, if you replaced every word 'British' with 'Hispanic' Or 'Gay' you'd see exactly what I wa getting at. If you take the rise out of the way someone speaks that's stereotyping, and that is certainly racist.

certainly wasnt "racist or biggoted".

problem comes when people jump on that bandwagon for no reason. people are all too ready to use those phrases and its not on - very infamatory.

I think I posted somewhere about the sheer food quantities that Americans seem to be able to consume against the British food portions ..... and I CERTAINLY wasnt being racist! merely and observation from a different culture

I do not think the OP was racist or biggoted but I think the original post was worded in a way that some could take it as such as proved true.

As I am married to a US citizen I take it aall in my stride.

All the OP was trying to do was wonder why Disney has a lot of British vacationers? And they didn't even say anything bad about it!!!

no, they took the rise out of the way someone was speaking, isn't that racist? and I took the whole thread to mean, 'stay home Brits' apologies to the OP if it wasn't meant that way, but it certainly came across like that,and not just to me!
The OP said they were 'having difficulty;' avoiding the British Accent, thereby inferring they'd choose not to hear it if they could!

If you take the rise out of the way someone speaks that's stereotyping, and that is certainly racist.

dear lord! dont be so sensitive. I live on a truly expatriate island, with many many different nationalities and we all take the rise out of each other mimicking Italian, Brit, Canadian, American, French, German and West Indian accents. Its in no way offensive to each other and a giggle between us.

I speak with a Brit accent (southern), hubby has a Suffolk acent (weird famer type!) and my kids have a West Indian accent .... its all about acceptance and being relaxed.

All my US friends here mimick my accent and the words I use and I troll after them laughing at things they say like "I'm jus fixin' to do something" - as per my best frind from Georgia.

No antagonism was meant from the OP I'm sure - or from me.

dear lord! dont be so sensitive. I live on a truly expatriate island, with many many different nationalities and we all take the rise out of each other mimicking Italian, Brit, Canadian, American, French, German and West Indian accents. Its in no way offensive to each other and a giggle between us.

I speak with a Brit accent (southern), hubby has a Suffolk acent (weird famer type!) and my kids have a West Indian accent .... its all about acceptance and being relaxed.

All my US friends here mimick my accent and the words I use and I troll after them laughing at things they say like "I'm jus fixin' to do something" - as per my best frind from Georgia.

No antagonism was meant from the OP I'm sure - or from me.

You may well say don't be so sensitive but I suspect that Carolfoy feels that the climate here is that it is unacceptable to make jokes about anyones accent, backround etc. normally except English of course. The behaviour you described could result in some action whether at work or in public. It may well be PC gone mad but I suspect that is how may feel here.

Had there been a racist or biggotted statement made I would agree that was unnaceptable - of course.

but there wasnt, and I perceive the response was hypersensitive for sure.

I'm short, blonde, with a Brit accent and a boys name ...... with that combination you can imagine the comments I've had!!;) those that are meant in jest I give it some back! - and those that arent I, I ignore.

nothing here has been said out of place - but has been made to feel that way .... and thats a big problem these days.

After having spent a least a dozen days at WDW since the purchase of my FL resident AP in December, 2006, I'm having difficulty spending one day in the parks w/o hearing one of many British accents at least 20 times a day.

I suspect it is this part of the original post which has coloured the reaction. It seems as though the OP did not wish to hear a British accent, although what a british accent is I am not sure as my estuary English is a lot different from a Scottish, Welsh, Yorkshire or Cornish accent.

Had there been a racist or biggotted statement made I would agree that was unnaceptable - of course.

but there wasnt, and I perceive the response was hypersensitive for sure.

I'm short, blonde, with a Brit accent and a boys name ...... with that combination you can imagine the comments I've had!!;) those that are meant in jest I give it some back! - and those that arent I, I ignore.

nothing here has been said out of place - but has been made to feel that way .... and thats a big problem these days.

:goodvibes
You know what's funny....
I'm from New Jersey (new Joisy, as everyone TEASES even though we don't TAWK like that ;)) and my husband is from Staten Island and works in Brooklyn and has the heaviest Brooklyn accent. We joke around almost daily regarding our 2 different worlds and accents that we came from that literally are about 1/2 hour away from each other....It's all in just fun...It's actually really cool how people have such different ways of speaking the same language..BTW I have a boys name too... Jamie! (which is an english name I believe) And I'm an Italian American from New Jersey.. No I'm nothing like the SOPRANOS that show is waaaaaay exagerated!!!

I'm new here, and just trying to learn the ropes, so to speak :)
On our trips to Orlando there are aleays lots of Brits there. Then again it might be my hubby and 3 daughters.
Great board!!!!!

guess how many jokes I've had from this list then!!:goodvibes

I'm Scottish born
brought up in the South UK and alot in the West Indies
South African born, Trinidadian raised father
Trinidadian mother,
with a Italian sounding maiden name,
boys first name (goes with Batman!)
married a Suffolk sounding boyo from the cornfields,
have a red headed son (and a blonde one too) who speak with heavy West Indian accents,
live on an island where I am one of only 91 white people amongst the local popualation.

and dyou know what ..... its all GOOOOD!:goodvibes , love every minute, love the diversity, love the way we can all appreciate each others differences and everyones curiosities about our clutures, looks, and accents.

totally agree Joisey girl!:thumbsup2

guess how many jokes I've had from this list then!!:goodvibes

I'm Scottish born
brought up in the South UK and alot in the West Indies
South African born, Trinidadian raised father
Trinidadian mother,
with a Italian sounding maiden name,
boys first name (goes with Batman!)
married a Suffolk sounding boyo from the cornfields,
have a red headed son (and a blonde one too) who speak with heavy West Indian accents,
live on an island where I am one of only 91 white people amongst the local popualation.

and dyou know what ..... its all GOOOOD!:goodvibes , love every minute, love the diversity, love the way we can all appreciate each others differences and everyones curiosities about our clutures, looks, and accents.

totally agree Joisey girl!:thumbsup2

I don't personally disagree, BUT if you make jokes about accent, background, ethnicity etc. in the Uk you leave yourself open to accusations of racism and intollerance right or wrong though this may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter