WDW Veteran - DL First Timer - One Day

lindsroc

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! My family and I have been to WDW many, many times however, my youngest (18) daughter and I are heading to Cali at the end of the month and are going to try and squeeze in our 1st ever trip to DL. Unfortunately, we will be there over July 4th weekend, so we can either go to DL Friday or Sunday the 3rd.

Any advice for a first timer? I dont know that we will have time to park hop, what do you think? When we go to WDW we always dedicate a day to each park. If you HAD to choose between the 2 parks, as a first timer, what would you suggest?

Thank you!!

Adding that we will be staying in Marina Del Ray and I know that can be a hike so will cut into some of our park time.

It is way, way easier to park hop in CA because the parks are right next to each other. I think it is completely doable to park hop for one day as long as you prioritize what you want to do. If you only choose one park- Disneyland. Not even a question. It's the original, so much history, etc. etc.

Hey everyone! My family and I have been to WDW many, many times however, my youngest (18) daughter and I are heading to Cali at the end of the month and are going to try and squeeze in our 1st ever trip to DL. Unfortunately, we will be there over July 4th weekend, so we can either go to DL Friday or Sunday the 3rd.

Any advice for a first timer? I dont know that we will have time to park hop, what do you think? When we go to WDW we always dedicate a day to each park. If you HAD to choose between the 2 parks, as a first timer, what would you suggest?

Thank you!!

first tip, lol, don't say Cali, its So Cal :)

My first few visits to Disneyland was with friends and we did one day park hoppers. You will get an overview, a taste and experience the familiar in a new and different way.

Open to close will maximise your time, but depending on your schedule and stamina may not be possible

Rope drop / early morning is preferable to staying late, if you have to choose.

Disneyland in the first 3 hours after park opening is when the crowds and wait times are the lowest.

Genie+ will really make a difference as you have such a limited time. Big bonus in Disneyland, it includes Photopass.

Dont worry about restaurant reservations at this stage, the counter service and quick service food options are far better than at Walt Disney World. Also many table service restaurants have a walk up wait list option through the App.

My first few visits to Disneyland was with friends and we did one day park hoppers. You will get an overview, a taste and experience the familiar in a new and different way.

Open to close will maximise your time, but depending on your schedule and stamina may not be possible

Rope drop / early morning is preferable to staying late, if you have to choose.

Disneyland in the first 3 hours after park opening is when the crowds and wait times are the lowest.

Genie+ will really make a difference as you have such a limited time. Big bonus in Disneyland, it includes Photopass.

Dont worry about restaurant reservations at this stage, the counter service and quick service food options are far better than at Walt Disney World. Also many table service restaurants have a walk up wait list option through the App.
LOL I used to live in Huntington Beach, you would think I would know that. Thanks for the advice!!!!

It is way, way easier to park hop in CA because the parks are right next to each other. I think it is completely doable to park hop for one day as long as you prioritize what you want to do. If you only choose one park- Disneyland. Not even a question. It's the original, so much history, etc. etc.
Awesome thank you! I love the originals so I think we will plan on DL first and then hop over to the other park if theres time. I think we can still upgrade tickets onsite right?

Are you planning on leaving MDR very early? The earlier you can get to the parks the better. The crowds and lines are magical the first two hours and will quickly grow to insane levels. If you can’t make it a full day (there for rope drop until you’re ready to call it a night) I would probably choose one park and make it DL.

LOL I used to live in Huntington Beach, you would think I would know that. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Wait, you used to live in HB but never been to Disneyland??? Huh lol

As a first timer, slight towards Disneyland but DCA has Carsland... I would try and park hop since it's nothing like Disneyworld. I feel like Grizzly is better than Kali Rapid (since you're going in the summer) and Carsland is right up there with Avatar, theme-wise. I'd easily pay $60 more (added park hopper) just to experience DCA for the first time. Oh yeah, DCA will look like Hollywood Studio as soon as you walk in but just keep walking further in lol

Wait, you used to live in HB but never been to Disneyland??? Huh lol

As a first timer, slight towards Disneyland but DCA has Carsland... I would try and park hop since it's nothing like Disneyworld. I feel like Grizzly is better than Kali Rapid (since you're going in the summer) and Carsland is right up there with Avatar, theme-wise. I'd easily pay $60 more (added park hopper) just to experience DCA for the first time. Oh yeah, DCA will look like Hollywood Studio as soon as you walk in but just keep walking further in lol
I know, weird right?! I was only there for a couple years. I am out in the Burbank area a lot for work now but never find time or I feel guilty going without my Disney loving kids lol.

Thanks for the tips- didnt think Carsland would be that impressive, sounds like park hopper may be the way to go :)

Are you planning on leaving MDR very early? The earlier you can get to the parks the better. The crowds and lines are magical the first two hours and will quickly grow to insane levels. If you can’t make it a full day (there for rope drop until you’re ready to call it a night) I would probably choose one park and make it DL.
Yes, planning on leaving early. In your opinion, is is better to get there as early as we can or stay as late as we can? Thinking maybe I will just try to book a nearby hotel for either the night before or the night we go.

Early is better in DL - crowds do die down a little late night but are still much heavier than morning. The look and feel is different though, and of course the nighttime shows are pretty great - WoC in dca and fantasmic is considered better experience by many than the similar show in WDW. With just one day you’ll have to prioritize one of them and I’d pick WoC because it’s more unique.

Thanks for the tips- didnt think Carsland would be that impressive, sounds like park hopper may be the way to go :)
I totally understand wanting to spend one day in Disneyland and focusing on that park. There's tons to see and do. If you are considering a ParkHopper and can afford it, I think CarsLand is one of the best things in the Disney parks in terms of impressive theming and putting you in the world of the movie.

Carsland is tied for Toy Story Land for my favorite land in all the parks. It is 100% the best part of DCA, and I think you have to experience it at night as well. Even better if you can be there for ShBoom.

With just one day, if you can do hoppers, do it. The parks are so close you can go back and forth as the lines change, if you want. If you can't do hoppers, or don't want to worry about it, then just do DL. There's way more stuff there, and it's the original which has a lot of value for me.

Yes, planning on leaving early. In your opinion, is is better to get there as early as we can or stay as late as we can? Thinking maybe I will just try to book a nearby hotel for either the night before or the night we go.
Perhaps book Paradise Pier for the night before ... because if Early Entry makes a comeback then you will have a MUCH easier time completing both parks in one day.

Carsland is tied for Toy Story Land for my favorite land in all the parks. It is 100% the best part of DCA, and I think you have to experience it at night as well. Even better if you can be there for ShBoom.

I haven't been to Toy Story Land yet, but I plan to on my next WDW trip. On my next Disneyland trip, I really want to be in CarsLand for ShBoom. I think CarsLand has a special kind of retro neon magical wonderland vibe going on night, but it looks amazing during the daytime too.

There are Californians who say Cali. It's just a reference to the whole state and is regional if it's in one's slang. I use Cali and I've lived in the state my whole life. I started using it more when I found out some think people shouldn't use it lol.

SoCal just refers to the southern half of the state (really anything below SLO, but the exact line is debated; some people from Humboldt area also dislike anyone from the Bay calling themselves part of NorCal).

But yeah. Let people call it Cali if they want ;). This born and raised Californian says it's okay.

Last edited:
There are Californians who say Cali. It's just a reference to the whole state and is regional if it's in one's slang. I use Cali and I've lived in the state my whole life. I started using it more when I found out some think people shouldn't use it lol.

SoCal just refers to the southern half of the state (really anything below SLO, but the exact line is debated; people from Humboldt area also dislike anyone from the Bay calling themselves part of NorCal).

But yeah. Let people call it Cali if they want ;). This born and raised Californian says it's okay.
hahahahaha - thanks!

Thank you all for the advice! So i ended up booking a hotel by the park for Thursday and Friday night, that way we can get up and to the park early on Friday and stay as late as we want. I never realized how close the parks are so I went ahead and got park hoppers. Soooooo excited!!!! Thanks everyone

One other tip - if you do DL first, immediately start booking genie+ for DCA, NOT DISNEYLAND. There is a whole sticky thread with great detail on this, but rope drop Disneyland and for the first 2 hours of the day just don’t book anything on the DL side - use smart itineraries and short morning lines. then by the time you jump parks you have FPs stacked for 2-3 big DCA rides. Enjoy your trip - my whole life has been one day hopping trips and you can absolutely experience a huge amount of the resort in a day, it’s just a different vibe then a laid back 5 day vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter