WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my last trip, I depended more on the day-of DAS reservations and didn't even use many of the advanced ones just because I was park hopping almost every day. It worked out fine, as I don't do all that many attractions anyway, and was usually able to find things that worked for my touring pace.

Your 2 options in this case would be to buy Genie+ and just stack afternoon reservations in HS (if you want more control around the time of your return - watch the genie+ times for that specific ride and make the reservation accordingly) or wait until you enter HS and make day of DAS reservations based on standby times. I don’t mean to sound rude, but what you are requesting seems unreasonable based on the spirit of that DAS is trying to provide, which is an alternative place to wait out your time.

It's not a make it or break it situation. We only ride like 3 things in DHS since we are local to Disneyland and the studios is largely full of copycat rides.

But I don't see it as an unreasonable request at all. It's a way of working with the insane park hopping restrictions in place at WDW. The fact that you have to visit your reserved park to tap in before park hopping is a stupid rule. If not for it, we could simply make our park reservation (and advanced DAS) for DHS that day and simply walk into Epcot at 2pm for our 2:20 ADR.

The way I plan to work around it is to make the DHS reservation, make the DAS Advance Selections in DHS, ride the skyliner in the morning so we can scan in and then turn around and go back to BC. That way we can hop to Epcot at 2pm as needed to get to our ADR.

It's not a make it or break it situation. We only ride like 3 things in DHS since we are local to Disneyland and the studios is largely full of copycat rides.

But I don't see it as an unreasonable request at all. It's a way of working with the insane park hopping restrictions in place at WDW. The fact that you have to visit your reserved park to tap in before park hopping is a stupid rule. If not for it, we could simply make our park reservation (and advanced DAS) for DHS that day and simply walk into Epcot at 2pm for our 2:20 ADR.

The way I plan to work around it is to make the DHS reservation, make the DAS Advance Selections in DHS, ride the skyliner in the morning so we can scan in and then turn around and go back to BC. That way we can hop to Epcot at 2pm as needed to get to our ADR.
It's good that you found a workaround, but I think this underscores the fundamental unfairness of the Advance Selections now that FastPass pre-selections have gone away, which a lot of people object to.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the 3 rides you like at HS are:
Slinky
Runaway Railway
Rockin Roller Coaster
As they are all unique to WDW

All are tier 1 rides and it can be difficult to get all 3 using Genie+ (HS is notoriously bad like that), so even if people are willing to pay for premium access they will probably still have long waits in standby lines, and realistically might require 5+ hours in the park for just those 3 rides, and that's assuming that one gets Slinky on Genie+ at a reasonable time. It's not uncommon for there to be no tier 1 rides left by 2 hours after park open, or if there are not until late in the evening, so standby lines become a must. Alternatively a person can leisurely take the skyliner over, tap in, go back to spend the day in the pool, head to Epcot for a late lunch, leisurely head back to HS in the evening, and then book 1 day of DAS while stacking their 2 advanced selections. In and out in 2 hours tops with a much more pleasant day all around. This is in no way an "equivalent" experience.

I don't begrudge anyone DAS who needs it. Heck, I love that DIS goes out of its way to be magical for everyone. But DAS in its current form is ripe for abuse, and the hypothetical example above shows just WHY someone might choose to abuse the system.

You have to be in the Park the ride is physically in to book a regular DAS. The reason I know this was because I tried to book one for Animal Kingdom while leaving Hollywood Studios to bus over to Animal Kingdom. I thought it worked like Lightning Lanes for booking times.

I couldn’t figure out how to do that so I stopped by Guest Services on my way out of HS. The cast member nice explained it to me in detail. He even apologized that even he couldn’t even book it for a DAS for another park. He told me book the new DAS as soon as the bus got to Animal Kingdom and it worked!

You have to be in the Park the ride is physically in to book a regular DAS. The reason I know this was because I tried to book one for Animal Kingdom while leaving Hollywood Studios to bus over to Animal Kingdom. I thought it worked like Lightning Lanes for booking times.

I couldn’t figure out how to do that so I stopped by Guest Services on my way out of HS. The cast member nice explained it to me in detail. He even apologized that even he couldn’t even book it for a DAS for another park. He told me book the new DAS as soon as the bus got to Animal Kingdom and it worked!
So you were able to book an AK DAS before you tapped into the park?

It's good that you found a workaround, but I think this underscores the fundamental unfairness of the Advance Selections now that FastPass pre-selections have gone away, which a lot of people object to.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the 3 rides you like at HS are:
Slinky
Runaway Railway
Rockin Roller Coaster
As they are all unique to WDW

All are tier 1 rides and it can be difficult to get all 3 using Genie+ (HS is notoriously bad like that), so even if people are willing to pay for premium access they will probably still have long waits in standby lines, and realistically might require 5+ hours in the park for just those 3 rides, and that's assuming that one gets Slinky on Genie+ at a reasonable time. It's not uncommon for there to be no tier 1 rides left by 2 hours after park open, or if there are not until late in the evening, so standby lines become a must. Alternatively a person can leisurely take the skyliner over, tap in, go back to spend the day in the pool, head to Epcot for a late lunch, leisurely head back to HS in the evening, and then book 1 day of DAS while stacking their 2 advanced selections. In and out in 2 hours tops with a much more pleasant day all around. This is in no way an "equivalent" experience.

I don't begrudge anyone DAS who needs it. Heck, I love that DIS goes out of its way to be magical for everyone. But DAS in its current form is ripe for abuse, and the hypothetical example above shows just WHY someone might choose to abuse the system.

How is this abuse? People can accomplish the same thing with G+, which we are also planning on buying. The DAS is for a kid that won't ride either Rock and Roller Coaster or ToT, so we will need to buy G+ to get those lined up. I plan to grab those one the return times are past 5pm.

We will only be selecting Slinky Dog Dash with our DAS Advance. My DAS child will already have to wait while his brother rides the 2 rides he won't ride. I'll probably take him to LMQ Racing Academy while his brother does those others. For us, part of his disability is being unable to tolerate high temperatures so we need to fit a lot in in the short evening window before the park closes. If we can't get an advance selection for SDD, we will just get one once we enter the park. Scheduling it in advance doesn't save us any time really, since you can't choose your times. More likely, the advanced selection will be at like 8pm, and we will have to actually wait longer than if we just walk in at 5pm and get a same day return time. So, it's not really much of an advantage, if any. It also assumes nothing else comes up that conflicts with that prescheduled time.

I'm only doing the advance selections as an insurance policy. I assume we won't even use half of them.

I would not assume you could get an advanced selection that late. I did not try for a late selection for HS, but the latest time I could get for MK was 6 pm. I don't think anything you are describing sounds like abuse of the system. Sounds like you have a decent plan.

Didn't they say the were going to make changes to Genie+ to potentially allow for pre-booking. When is that potentially supposed to happen?

You have to be in the Park the ride is physically in to book a regular DAS.
I am pretty sure you need to scan in to the 2nd park before you can look for a day-of DAS, unless they changed it.

PP plans to tap-in at DHS in the morning then leave to return to the resort. Lunch at Epcot is after hopping begins. Then back to DHS. I believe they can do day-of DAS Return Time even if not physically in the park because they will have already tapped-in earlier in the day. I would not rely on Advanced Selections for late evening, and it’s possible no evening slots are available though I think PP said it would be their last day so maybe.

There would be no reason why WDW couldn't do the same thing if the ticket media is a park hopper.
But I don't see it as an unreasonable request at all.
While it may sound reasonable, it’s just not the way DAS Advanced Selections work at WDW. One of the differences between CA and FL parks. I’m sure WDW has operational reason for the limitation; possibly the sheer volume of guests plus 4 parks plus travel time between parks.

I would not assume you could get an advanced selection that late. I did not try for a late selection for HS, but the latest time I could get for MK was 6 pm. I don't think anything you are describing sounds like abuse of the system. Sounds like you have a decent plan.

Didn't they say the were going to make changes to Genie+ to potentially allow for pre-booking. When is that potentially supposed to happen?

That's good to know. 6pm would be a fine time, but I know it's all subject to availability. At Disneyland, they can schedule up until 8:30pm.

I did my call today at 7 and got on right away. The person who did the video was the first person who mentioned I had the pass before but asked me to tell her why I need it and I was approved. She did my advance selections on the spot and she offered 3 times for each ride and they did go as late as 5:30. Most were a morning and afternoon and then a time around 5:30. So I think it is possible for someone to get all later times. She did offer and I did accept some overlapping times too for rides close together. My anxiety makes me very nervous for the video call but she was so friendly and kind to me.

Curious if anyone was at Epcot Deluxe hours this past Monday (5/29) when they opened up a Guardians StandBy line.... wonder if they allowed day-of DAS reservations?

I'm hoping this is a sign that they are considering doing away with the VQ and having LL$ and SB, and allowing DAS day-ofs

If I make advance das selections can I modify the times? This is all new and I’m trying to decipher if I should just make a selection when I show up at the park. Out first day we won’t be arriving until maybe 1-2 at Epcot.

Never done this before, what would you suggest?

DAS Advanced Selections are usually set times. The CM will let you know what's available based on your theme park reservation each day and your preference of attractions. While you can try to change it, they actually have to cancel and then look for a new time - and it's possible you might not find anything better and could lose what you had. Many folks end up skipping the Advanced Selections or just letting the times pass/expire without using it because it doesn't end up fitting their in-park plans.

In-park DAS Return Times are completely different. It will be based on the posted standby wait (minus 10 minutes). Though you can return anytime after your DAS Return Time, but you can't book another until it gets used or cancelled. You have a lot more control over these than the Advanced Selections.

DAS Advanced Selections are usually set times. The CM will let you know what's available based on your theme park reservation each day and your preference of attractions. While you can try to change it, they actually have to cancel and then look for a new time - and it's possible you might not find anything better and could lose what you had. Many folks end up skipping the Advanced Selections or just letting the times pass/expire without using it because it doesn't end up fitting their in-park plans.

In-park DAS Return Times are completely different. It will be based on the posted standby wait (minus 10 minutes). Though you can return anytime after your DAS Return Time, but you can't book another until it gets used or cancelled. You have a lot more control over these than the Advanced Selections.

Thank you! If I were to make advance das but don’t make it can I reselect the ride while in the park?

Thank you! If I were to make advance das but don’t make it can I reselect the ride while in the park?
Yes, as long as you have no other active day of DAS. I do not think there is a limit on how many times you can select an attraction day of. You just have to wait until you use the active day of DAS before selecting another one. To my knowledge, it can be the same ride multiple times if you wish.

Yes, as long as you have no other active day of DAS. I do not think there is a limit on how many times you can select an attraction day of. You just have to wait until you use the active day of DAS before selecting another one. To my knowledge, it can be the same ride multiple times if you wish.
Guests using DAS can do the same attraction multiple times, but they would have to make a new DAS Return Time and wait for whatever the current posted Standby Wait to return for each time they want to ride.

PP plans to tap-in at DHS in the morning then leave to return to the resort. Lunch at Epcot is after hopping begins. Then back to DHS. I believe they can do day-of DAS Return Time even if not physically in the park because they will have already tapped-in earlier in the day. I would not rely on Advanced Selections for late evening, and it’s possible no evening slots are available though I think PP said it would be their last day so maybe.

While it may sound reasonable, it’s just not the way DAS Advanced Selections work at WDW. One of the differences between CA and FL parks. I’m sure WDW has operational reason for the limitation; possibly the sheer volume of guests plus 4 parks plus travel time between parks.
I don’t know if guests who tapped into a park and left can do day-of DAS Return times without being physically in or near the park. It may have changed, but we tried it one time after being able to book DAS Return Times in the app began and it didn’t work. We had been in EPCOT earlier in the day, but DD only lasted about an hour before we had to leave. We were thinking of going back in the evening and tried to make a DAS Return Time from outside the park, but couldn’t.

I agree with the last bolded point. Soon after DAS began, DL had kiosks in each park where CMs were able to make DAS Return Times for either park.
That was not a functionality that was ever available at WDW. I’m sure there are some operational reasons for it not being available. I don’t know what they are, but I’ve read posts recently in multiple places where guests said they asked WDW CMs if they could make A DAS Return Time for a different park. The posts said the CMs indicated they were not able to and apologized for not being able to help.

Question regarding the 7 days rule for pre-booking selections. Does anyone know if it has to be 7 consecutive days or could we potentially book reservations for park days 1-6, then skip day 7 and use our final day of pre-booked reservations for park day 8?

Question regarding the 7 days rule for pre-booking selections. Does anyone know if it has to be 7 consecutive days or could we potentially book reservations for park days 1-6, then skip day 7 and use our final day of pre-booked reservations for park day 8?
no 7 consecutive days.

any 7 days you want. we booked 1-5 2 days off and then 6 und 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter