WDW/DCL newbie, please help me decide!

GoodyDoesDisney

Earning My Ears
Looking for opinions/advice/thoughts to help me decide between 2 itineraries. This is a once in a lifetime type of trip for our family, not something we expect to be able to do again and I’m really struggling to decide!

Background:
  • Family of 4 with 2 teens (13+14)
  • 1st time cruisers, 1st time WDW (but several trips to DL - West Coasters!)
Itinerary #1
Nov 26 - Dec 1 - Coronado Springs, 4 day park hoppers
Dec 1 - 5 Universal’s Cabana Bay, 4 day-3 park tickets
Dec 5-9: 4 night Very Merry Bahamas cruise on the Wish

Itinerary #2
Nov 26 - Dec 1: Coronado Springs, 4 day park hoppers
Dec 1-3: Loews Royal Pacific, 2 day 2 park tickets with express passes included
Dec 3-10: 7 night Western Caribbean Very Merry cruise on the Fantasy

So excited to start diving into these boards!

Well, my experience is limited to the Loews Royal Pacific and the Fantasy, both of which I enjoyed.

We really appreciated the express pass at Universal as the lines for the popular rides can get really long. Loved the Fantasy, but this was back in 2012. Haven't cruised the Fantasy since as the ports were pretty much "one and done" for us. But really loved Palo, Remy and the Midship Detective agency on the Fantasy. The Disney Wish is getting varying reports where some things are not yet running smoothly (Unchartered Adventures game and Aladdin are not yet up and running and Enchante has gotten many poor reviews). PLus 4 days on the Wish makes booking things like drink tastings and Palo hard to come by, especially for new cruisers, where these are more readily available on the 7 day Fantasy.

Just my 2 cents.

Hello, fellow West-Coaster! My recommendation would be the second itinerary with the 7-day cruise on the Fantasy.

Since you're new to DCL, all of the ships will be a new experience - no reason to pay top dollar for the brand new ship when all ships are new to you. Unlike some other cruise lines, DCL keeps their ships in top shape - the Fantasy is a great ship with lots of activities and great entertainment. And it's a Merrytime cruise, so there's even more to do!

If you're a little hesitant about cruising, a 4-day cruise can be a great way to "test the waters." However, if it turns out that you love cruising, it will definitely leave you wishing you had a few more days at sea.

If you do choose to do the 4-day Wish cruise, I would recommend adding a fifth day to WDW rather than spending 4 days at Universal. Personally, I think 2-3 days is plenty of time to experience everything at Universal. Also the Express Pass is 100% worth it - with a 2-day Express Pass at Universal, you'll be able to experience everything, no problem.

Another west coaster here! I would go with #2. We just did Universal over Spring Break and express passes were fantastic. Plus, cruises are the ultimate vacation, so the longer the better. Enjoy!

I'd go with option #2, but it maybe depends on what you want from Universal. On our trip there, we found we were able to see basically all we wanted to at Universal in the two main parks within 2 days, given the express passes (might not have been without them, though). But, if you were wanting to spend time at Volcano Bay or whatever it is, then 2 days won't be enough. And, that assumes 2 full days there - it's hard for me to tell the exact plans from your dates. I haven't been to Volcano Bay so I can't offer an opinion on that, and you know your family better than we do! For instance, if your kids are the type who would want to ride roller coasters all day more than anything else, then go for option 1...

And, I'm a fan of cruises (you are posting this on the cruising forum...), so the 7 day sounds a lot nicer. But, if this is your first cruise, then you might find the 4 day is enough as an initial cruise (you'd still get to experience a lot). As hard as it is for me to believe, there actually are people who don't care for cruises much, so there is a small risk of your family finding the longer cruise is boring and wishing you had more time at the parks. In any case, though, ending with the cruise is, I think, the right call.

One other comment - it's maybe just the way we do things, but the park hoppers would not be a high priority for me at WDW (they are good at Universal). Unlike DL, it's a real pain and significant time to go from one park to another, so unless you've got a plan where you're really planning to use the hopping option, you might just plan on single-park tickets. It's easy to spend a day at each park (and some parks it's easy to spend 2 days at...)

Last edited:
Most of us on this forum will be biased towards the longer cruise, myself included :)

I think it comes down to what you think your family will enjoy more - more park days or more cruise days. Park days are very physically draining in my experience, so I enjoy that the cruises are a slower pace and less exhausting. Maybe your family is go-go-go though and would rather have more days running around.

You say you've been to Disneyland several times though, which means you perhaps are also reasonably close to a bunch of other theme parks. Thus, I will make the case for the 7 night Fantasy cruise. I think having the longer cruise really allows you to 'get the hang of it'. Your kids could potentially make friends in the kids club and actually get to enjoy time with them vs having to get off after a couple days. You'll get to know your serving team better, and you'll get to do fun things like the Animation night at Animator's (which is only on long itineraries and not on the Wish). If this is really your only shot at doing a Disney cruise, I'd personally gamble on you enjoying it, and go for the longer one.

Another vote for itinerary #2 mainly reiterating-
1) 4 days at USO is a loong time (just went for 3 in May and 2 would have been busy but fine)
2) the Wish is new so you're paying for that novelty (and also the Nassau stop is underwhelming)
3) longer=better for a cruise, especially after a week at theme parks

My tween niece prefers USO as did DD after about 12 but they both love DCL regardless of their stage of development.

It sounds like a wonderful trip, enjoy!

Last edited:
Another vote for #2.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip, I say go all out. Stay at the higher end hotel at Universal. Take the longer cruise.

We have stayed at both Royal Pacific and Cabana Bay. They are both awesome hotels. But Royal Pacific is about a 10m walk to the parks. The included express pass is a major plus.

Adding my voice to the choir, I'd also pick #2. 2 days in the Universal Parks should be fine if you're ok missing Volcano Bay. Like most people are saying I'd want to have as much cruise time as possible. DCL is really just so much better than anything else Disney does and the Fantasy is arguably the best ship in the fleet.

Another vote for #2 with the 1 week Fantasy cruise. We just did that Western Caribbean cruise in June and enjoyed it. I think it'll be nice to have the longest stay at the end where you unpack for a week and have more time to enjoy the ship (and 4 ports).

Volcano Bay & the Wish are not worth sacrificing 3 days of cruising and the Royal Pacific.

If it was me though, I’d add 2 minor changes. Port Orleans Riverside instead of Coronado Springs, and Portofino Bay over Royal Pacific.

I think itinerary 2 is better. Just want to reiterate what others have said: Two days with express pass is more than enough to do everything at Universal. Plus, the extra days on the cruise is worth it. Disney Fantasy is a great ship and being that you haven't been on a Disney cruise, it will be new to you and a fun time.

I would pick #2 as I agree for universal with express passes, 2 days is plenty.

I do have a question--are you dead set on doing the cruise after parks? These days I much prefer to do cruise before parks because (1) with the parks first, you a run a pretty significant risk that one or more people in your party will test positive when it comes time to do the pre-cruise testing; (2) I prefer to test in the comfort of my home before the trip so if it is positive I am not stuck quarantining on vacation; and (3) even before covid testing, I liked doing the cruise first because it is nice to get off the cruise excited to have another fun place to go to instead of the depressing flight home.

I would also pick itinerary #2. The value to you of express passes will more than make up for slightly less time at Universal. I could easily do 3-4 days there but with the express, you'll get pretty much everything you want done. Also, I think you will greatly appreciate a longer cruise as it gives more time to settle in and enjoy the trip.

This is an easy pick even if you end up not really being a cruise type of family.

You mentioned this might be a one time type of trip and that you been to Disneyland multi times. Then choice is easy, go on #2. The longer cruise. Because you might not get a chance to go back.

Well, that is until DCL hooks 🪝 you and reel you back in. I just got off the Fantasy a 2nd time and it's a lovely ship. Would like to do one of the nine night southern Caribbean cruises. Like people said, all these ships are kept up with and nice.

Why pay top dollar for the Wish for such a short trip with platinum cruisers (most everything will be booked up). Just to get your feet wet.

Btw, I just did a 7 night Fantasy, 1 day Nasa, and 5 day park2park universal. It was so nice. 😁

Agree with the majority - go with the Fantasy and Express Passes at USO. (I have not been there - but watch YT videos about using those passes.

I would also question the Park Hopper Option - unless you know you don’t want to spend all day at a specific park (or parks). It’s not as easy to hop as walking from DL to CA. However, if you want to dine at EPCOT’s Festival of the Holidays or watch MK fireworks more than once, that could be reason enough.

But also consider how you feel about the ports. I am not a fan of the Western Caribbean stops - and I love Castaway Cay. (But it doesn’t have the Wow factor of slides and a pool that other cruise lines’ private islands have).

Have a great trip. Sounds fun - whatever you choose.

Looking for opinions/advice/thoughts to help me decide between 2 itineraries. This is a once in a lifetime type of trip for our family, not something we expect to be able to do again and I’m really struggling to decide!

Background:
  • Family of 4 with 2 teens (13+14)
  • 1st time cruisers, 1st time WDW (but several trips to DL - West Coasters!)
Itinerary #1
Nov 26 - Dec 1 - Coronado Springs, 4 day park hoppers
Dec 1 - 5 Universal’s Cabana Bay, 4 day-3 park tickets
Dec 5-9: 4 night Very Merry Bahamas cruise on the Wish

Itinerary #2
Nov 26 - Dec 1: Coronado Springs, 4 day park hoppers
Dec 1-3: Loews Royal Pacific, 2 day 2 park tickets with express passes included
Dec 3-10: 7 night Western Caribbean Very Merry cruise on the Fantasy

So excited to start diving into these boards!
Itinerary #2. Here's why:

1. Since this is a "once in a lifetime trip", you want a 7-night cruise and not just a 4-night cruise. A week-long cruise is a much more complete cruise experience, as you'll get to really settle in onboard and you can experience more shows and activities, special menus, Animation Magic at your second dinner at Animator's Palate (don't skip your 2nd dinner there- it's very special), you'd have time to sample the ship's many features, upcharge restaurants, etc.

2. Imo the Fantasy is a much better ship than the Wish. Full disclosure, I haven't sailed the Wish, but I've read about her in detail and seen vlogs, etc., and have sailed every other DCL ship. Many other DCL veterans are also not fond of what they've seen about the Wish. Newer isn't necessarily better, and DCL keeps the entire fleet in mint condition.

Last edited:
Thanks all, this is really helpful! #2 it is!
Fingers crossed we can stay covid negative through a week at the theme parks, I can see that pre-sailing test being v. stressful 😬 and not something I thought of or knew before, but not able to change our dates around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter