WDW cancelled our castle dinner?

I'd be furious. Like, really, really furious. We plan these ADRs, wake up early exactly 180 days out and make these coveted reservations. On top of that, you perfectly coordinated BBB first.

1) Alas, reservations are ALWAYS subject to change.
2) Every ressie or ADR states this.
3) So, people just need to make alternate plans.
4) On vacation, people need to be flexible.
5) Can't get mad or angry, but just go-with-the-flow.

No, people definitely can & should get angry and stand up for themselves/their families in a situation like this one.

I'm so happy that it was made right for the OP and his girls.

While yes, Disney is well within their rights do to this I think guests can an should express their displeasure when something like this is changed so last minute, with no regard for the fact that people have been planning for months around these hard to get reservations. It is poor customer service at best, and a blatant money grab at worst.

While yes, Disney is well within their rights do to this I think guests can an should express their displeasure when something like this is changed so last minute, with no regard for the fact that people have been planning for months around these hard to get reservations. It is poor customer service at best, and a blatant money grab at worst.

I so agree! This is a prime reservation, booked and most likely paid for 6 months in advance!

I am one of the first to defend Disney when it comes to price increases etc, but tow this situation was just not acceptable. I am glad that they made it right!

Could not disagree more. So glad the op did not just "go with the flow" especially since this is and has always been the most coveted reservation and a one of a kind experience. And it was completely within Disney power to avoid.

We ALL need to stand up for ourselves and hold Disney to a higher standard just like the op did it this situation. This should make us angry. Flexible is one thing. being stepped on is another.

Honestly sounds spoken by someone thats never worked in Customer Service and someone who truly doesn't really care about their customers.

Are you serious?!

Could not disagree more. So glad the op did not just "go with the flow" especially since this is and has always been the most coveted reservation and a one of a kind experience. And it was completely within Disney power to avoid.

We ALL need to stand up for ourselves and hold Disney to a higher standard just like the op did it this situation. This should make us angry. Flexible is one thing. being stepped on is another.

Honestly sounds spoken by someone thats never worked in Customer Service and someone who truly doesn't really care about their customers.

While y'all may not like the message 1 and 2 are facts. Nothing is going to change it.
Now, 3, alternate plans, nah, I wouldn't say you should make alternate plans for every ADR. That's just silly.
4. Well, it will make your life easier to be flexible. Even if you have an ADR it may be a long wait to be seated. Being flexible will be a key to being relaxed at Disney
5. You can get mad, you can get angry but it's not going to change anything. Best advice is to do as OP did, stay calm and know what will make you happy and ask politely, but firmly, for that. Getting mad will not do you much good at all. So I do agree with Rusty in part. Just not "go with the flow" part.

Though do remember, ADR are not make and break for EVERY guest. Some really don't care that much. There is always somewhere else to eat. Even when we are talking about CRT.

Here is the update...

I received a call from the proprietor of CRT this morning. He worked with me to move our BBB and CRT dinner reservations to 1/30. He was very helpful and seemed to be sincerely sorry for the incident.

I explained that I had learned why we were bumped and understood the reasoning. He said that 30 parties were unconvinced. I asked him to whom I could express my comments / concerns about these actions and he referred me to Guest Services. I will be writing them a letter shortly.

In the end, I feel that I was provided an acceptable replacement for what I had lost. I am disappointed that this was allowed to happen and will express my disappointment. I really don't expect to receive anything more.

I want WDW to know that as a guest, a stockholder and big Disney fan, that I am disappointed in the way that this was initially handled, when I had done everything to ensure my family had a great experience.

Thanks for sharing information and your comments.

Jason

I am so glad that this has worked out for you.

You are quite far from the reality. THe Scupper has plenty of CS experience, and truly cares about the guest. He does have a different viewpoint than you , and many times from my own, but his experience does qualify him to comment.

While y'all may not like the message 1 and 2 are facts. Nothing is going to change it.
Now, 3, alternate plans, nah, I wouldn't say you should make alternate plans for every ADR. That's just silly.
4. Well, it will make your life easier to be flexible. Even if you have an ADR it may be a long wait to be seated. Being flexible will be a key to being relaxed at Disney
5. You can get mad, you can get angry but it's not going to change anything. Best advice is to do as OP did, stay calm and know what will make you happy and ask politely, but firmly, for that. Getting mad will not do you much good at all. So I do agree with Rusty in part. Just not "go with the flow" part.

Though do remember, ADR are not make and break for EVERY guest. Some really don't care that much. There is always somewhere else to eat. Even when we are talking about CRT.

Its a two way street though. I generally can see the "other" side, and do understand that changes occur. When that happens though, Disney should be sensitive that the change they make to benefit their company has not had a negative impact on those whose plans they disrupted. "Too bad so sad" is not the answer. I agree that the OP handled this well. Getting mad would have been counter productive.

If this had been a case of a situation like unexpected but necessary maintenance, we all would have been sympathetic but understanding. I think what has gotten under our skin on this one is how management just decided to put an event into that space without regard to the guests who had already made "special event" reservations and then had the rug pulled out. This isn't like closing the Captain's Grille or even Skipper Canteen for an evening, this is dinner in Cinderella Castle, perhaps the single most iconic meal in all of WDW, and quite possible the one signature moment that all these little girls booked for that evening were anticipating.
Bad form George, I'm sure you must have signed off on this one.

Its a two way street though. I generally can see the "other" side, and do understand that changes occur. When that happens though, Disney should be sensitive that the change they make to benefit their company has not had a negative impact on those whose plans they disrupted. "Too bad so sad" is not the answer. I agree that the OP handled this well. Getting mad would have been counter productive.
I think they are sensitive to them.
If this had been a case of a situation like unexpected but necessary maintenance, we all would have been sympathetic but understanding. I think what has gotten under our skin on this one is how management just decided to put an even into that space without regard to the guests who had already made "special event" reservations and then had the rug pulled out. This isn't like closing the Captain's Grille or even Skipper Canteen for an evening, this is dinner in Cinderella Castle, perhaps the single most iconic meal in all of WDW, and quite possible the one signature moment that all these little girls booked for that evening were anticipating.
Bad form George, I'm sure you must have signed off on this one.
But is that accurate? Sure they cancelled, in favor of something very high dollar. Not debating that at all. And that stinks.
But, did they cancel with no regards to guests that were booked? Or did they contact them and offer a replacement?
Granted, we've only heard from 1 guest but I can't imagine they didn't contact them all.

Nope. Just someone who has a grip on reality. We can want things to be different, but that doesn't make it so.
I've found with Disney that you don't NEED to get mad or angry. They are trying to make the customer happy. Disappointment is enough, you do not need to brow beat them into doing the right things... if you express disappointment about something they will (if they can) make it right. But also recognizing you can't get blood from a stone helps too... they will bend over backwards for you but that does not include canceling a $499 per person event so you can have your dinner on THAT night.

I'm agreeing with you. Some reality and flexibility and perspective goes a long way!

While I'm happy the OP got a satisfactory resolution from Disney, I'm sad to hear that 29 other families were similarly displaced.
Agree. Hopefully they will not just go with the flow. Sadly many will just take the first offer and miss out on an experience of a lifetime.

I am not sure what bothers me more. That Disney did this or that some feel we just need to be flexible and accept that these things just happen.

They don't just happen. And when guests push back things get resolved.

I so hope this hot resolved for others who do not have the support of a group like this behind them.

Agree. Hopefully they will not just go with the flow. Sadly many will just take the first offer and miss out on an experience of a lifetime.

I am not sure what bothers me more. That Disney did this or that some feel we just need to be flexible and accept that these things just happen.

I so hope this hot resolved for others who do not have the support of a group like this behind them.

I'm sure at least 1/2 of the families (if not more) truly believed this was an operational issue and just "went with the flow". I would be much more likely to just go with the flow with operational issues than if I was being booted because a better money grab opportunity came up and suddenly my money was an inconvenience for them.

Nope. Just someone who has a grip on reality. We can want things to be different, but that doesn't make it so.
The fact that these things can and do happen is a firm grip on reality. Expecting a customer not to be upset that their difficult to get, prepaid reservation has been cancelled just weeks out from their trip for a high dollar event isn't realistic. We as customers can and should make that displeasure known.

they DID offer the OP lunch or breakfast the same day at CRT. If it were not for the BBB thing, in their shoes I would have just taken lunch and maybe made them change around some fastpasses if it interfered. Their initial offer was for another meal at the same restaurant which should not cause anyone to "Miss out on the experience of a lifetime"... it's the exact same experience, just earlier in the day. Let's not be overly dramatic about what actually happened here.

What was offered did not work with the OP's plans, it was escalated to the next level and his plans are now better than they were before. The OP didn't need "the support of a group like this" to initially say that what was offered didn't work... he did that on his own first and THEN reported back here what had happened. I think he would have been just fine advocating for himself without the support although it is nice to have!

Also the times that are cancelled are later dining times. The OP is probably one of the earliest seating times cancelled at nearly 7pm. I'm willing to bet there are parents with little princesses who are grateful to not have to eat at 9pm and would gladly take the exact same experience earlier in the day and who found all of those late seating times to be less than ideal but took them because it was all they could get. My guess is that if everyone was offered an alternate time same day that there were as many people happy about it as unhappy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter