Way Out Here, Eh? - A June 2019 TR *PTR Link Posted

Alex and I weren’t aware of it, but this was the beginning of a new trend. Nana was much cooler to hang out with than Mom and Dad.
::yes:: Interesting when it gets to that phase. In one hand, you feel a little jealous. On the other hand... FREEDOM!!!!!
After an entertaining circle around Epcot – a view that’s worthy of its own ride during Flower and Garden – we were dropped off and through the second bag check. Oh, Epcot monorail, how I love your two security checkpoints….
I always love the monorail loop through the park. I despise the second bag check. It's so stupid! Sounds like the new changes to the entrance will fix that though.
The park was half an hour from opening but luckily the Cast Members let us through the tapstiles (after my mom activated her ticket) and put us in a holding pattern near the bathrooms by Spaceship Earth. Thank goodness for that! I would’ve been in trouble had they not with my overabundance of morning coffee.
Well, at least they let you get far enough into the park to access the restrooms... they weren't being so kind a couple of weeks later.
He was a really nice guy and he put the meet and greets on the right foot. We were smiling and laughing and enjoying ourselves before Mickey Mouse ever came into sight.
That's awesome!
I know there’s controversy over the whole “The Cast Members are our entertainment” line and I am firmly in the camp of those mad they got rid of the street performers, but this Cast Member definitely fit that bill.
I definitely hate the loss of any of the street performers. They add something unique that no regular CM can and they are a huge part of what makes Disney special. That said, a good CM truly is a part of the entertainment.
He gets a selfie with Landon in front of the ride entrance every time:
I like it! 2 happy boys!
Landon was in the mood for big wheels this day:
Looking good!
Fun fact: I have never ridden Test Track with Landon. In fact, the last time I have ridden TT was probably in 2013. It’s one of those rides that’s always low on my priority list and gets the boot during a trip. Maybe when Evie’s tall enough to ride I’ll make my way back on to it…
2013... was that the old version? I know it had to be around that time that it changed, but I don't remember when it was exactly.
My mom and I left with Evie in tow, forgetting to inform Alex that our meetup plans had changed.
This, unfortunately, resulted in another grumpy kid, upon discovering his mother wasn’t where she said she would be:
:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: You're making both of them happy!
Nothing like a Dad grabbing a PP picture when the kid is in a bad mood! That’s one for the photo album!
That's what dads are for.

I love my goodreads. It helps me keep track of what I've read (so I don't pick something out of the library, start reading it, and go, "Wait, this sounds familiar." Been there, done that...) and let's me have a running list of what I want to read. Occasionally, I'll pull up my library account and my To-Read shelf and start requesting books I've been meaning to read for a while. It also has articles that let me know what books are being released soon so I can see if a favorite author has something new.
I need to do this! We should have a DisBoards book club. :)
Evie was in rare form and actually threw me a smile!
She looks just like you there!
Whatcha doing there, Minnie?
:rotfl:
And lo and behold, who did we run into in line but our new Scottish friend! He saw us and shouted, “Hey, Germany!!!” and then picked the conversation up right we left off. I wish we had wrote down his name so we could have given a Cast compliment, because he certainly deserved one. Hopefully, we’ll see him again on a future Epcot visit.
Love those amazing cast interactions!
He gets a selfie with Landon in front of the ride entrance every time:
Great picture!

That is nice of you to indulge Alex's shopping obsession. I'm not a big fan of Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. I'm not a shopper either.

However, I totally agree with you about the snack merchandise. I love it! On a past trip I got a Dole Whip air freshener for my son Nate's Christmas stocking.

What a great idea eating at the bar was! Nicely done.

“Where are you guys?”

Uhmmmm.

So before we left, we told Landon were going up to Minnesota to visit his Aunt and her new baby. Which was absolutely true.

I just happened to leave out the entire truth.

“Are you guys at Disney?”

Busted!

:magnify:

It can be difficult to write about a long, indulgent WDW vacation when you have no idea the next time you'll be back.

I understand this. I usually have to take a hiatus from the boards if I don't have a trip planned.

Before the trip, I took a gamble and hoped everyone else attending EMH would go to Toy Story Land, leaving the other areas of the park more or less empty. It was a sound idea, and it might have worked out that way, had Slinky Dog Dash AND Tower of Terror not been down.

Ugh frustrating how you can plan something so well and then that happens!

A couple of women walked up as I was debating, and I told them to go ahead because I was indecisive. One of the women went up to the cash register and went, “Well I’m not indecisive. I know what I want.”

It was hard to tell if she was joking or criticizing my comment; I filed it under my
Odd Things Said Within the Disney Parks and moved on with choosing a snack.

I wish I wrote down all the odd things heard- it would definitely make a good book.

Don’t even get me started on the panic that overtook me every time a Cast Member asked, “Where are you from?”

Ehhhh. Well. My hometown is Florida. But I’ve lived in Germany for three years. And am about to move to England.”

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Epcot during Flower and Garden is my favorite time of year; it trumps the holidays and Food and Wine and late nights in the summer.

Agreed.

The shining moment of the ride was when one of the girls asked her mom, “Why are you on Snapchat? It’s so embarrassing.”

To which the mom replied, “Because you’re on it, and I want to keep tabs on you.”

:rotfl::rotfl:

The whole situation solidified why Animal Kingdom Lodge is a spectacular resort. How many other resorts can you spot a giraffe and speak with an animal handler?

That is amazing. I love how she stopped to talk to you guys when she realized.

however, I think after my tenth or eleventh visit to FOP I’ll be mighty sick of that long pre-ride act.

Yes. That man and his ummmmm are on my bad list lol.

When I got myself settled into my vehicle and the back clamp came down, I had a split second of panic. This was secure! Not just tight. Almost too snug to breathe comfortably.

I intentionally don't sit all the way forward for this reason. I'm not sure why it has to be SO tight- I've never fallen out yet lol.

My poor husband was looking a little pale. He felt about the same. Of all the coasters he did during the trip, Flight of Passage hit him the worst. It was what finally convinced him that he has reached the point where motion sickness medicine is necessary.

Oh no :sad1:

She hung up the phone and turned back to us. “Isn’t that the nicest thing? They have buses everywhere!”

:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

She visits Walt Disney World every year.
:confused::scratchin

Oh man. That's frightening!

“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME EVIE EATS ONE SPAGHETTI NOODLE AT A TIME?!?!”

:rotfl::rotfl:This made me actually laugh out loud!

But Expedition Everest at night is the best experience ever!

Again, agreed.

Because we booked this flight kind of late, I didn’t check the seat map and had no idea some window seats don’t actually have a window!

Oh man, that would be something that I would do!

The most memorable part of their conversation, though, happened right as we were taxiing. She turned to both of us and went, “Have you seen this Mary, Queen of Scots movie?”

“No.”

“Oh, well I expected it to be light. But it was actually quite sad!”

:confused3:confused3 What on earth made her think that would be a light movie!

Landon insisted on telling me ad nasuem that Nana made him pancakes most mornings. (“You never make pancakes, and you NEVER give me as much syrup as Nana does.”)

:rotfl::rotfl:

This wasn’t just our first day at Disney (with the kids)…this was also my mom’s birthday!

Happy birthday to your mom!

June 1st, 2019 Part 4:

What a very sweet way to end your child-free arrival day, between the chocolate cupcake, an agreeable husband, fantastic beer and a heartwarming note from your son.

Cupcakes are not my dessert of choice, but that one looked very good.

Your veggie/falafel plate looked like AMAZING choices. I would love that, but I would have to share it with my hubby.

I would say that was an admirable start to your adult stay.

::yes::

What a lovely start to your day- sunrise on your AKL balcony, a ride on RNR and:

Iced latte and a donut!

YUM!

Breakfast of champions!

I think I heard somewhere that this is changing with the EPCOT construction?

I sure hope with all the changes happening to Epcot they address the security checkpoint! It's one of those things that definitely needs an refresher.

Great interactions! I wonder if he might have been the CM who did our Future World tour. Or maybe he was Irish. ...I feel like he was Scottish. Not sure. But seems like he made a great impression!

This gentleman was short, dirty blonde hair, and trim beard. But if he was, I can only imagine what he brought to the tour. It's wonderful how some Cast Member's positivity can uplift a guest's day.

How fun that your Mom got to spend her birthday at EPCOT! You made good time meeting all those characters before your FPs. Poor Landon- hopefully you were able to meet up soon!

I love that my mom does pretty cool stuff for her birthday now that she's an empty nester. In the last five years she has been at WDW twice and been in Germany once. This upcoming year she will be in London. Living life to the fullest...

Awesome CM interaction and character meets, love the pictures. The kids look like they are enjoying the characters for the most part except for the picture in the aquarium :hyper:

How nice the kids want to hang with grandma and especially on her Birthday.

I'm relieved we are out of the age of the kids being scared of the characters! When they were younger, I never knew if a meet and greet would end in laughter or tears.

I hope you get to ride next trip.

I really should try to ride it again. There's been quite a few rides I skip every trip, and I don't really think about how long it's been until I step back and do the math.

Oh no. We usually end up spending too much time in her.

Normally, the aquarium kills a lot of time for us, too. Guess Evie wasn't in the mood to stand around that morning.

How fun that you got to celebrate your mom's birthday while on your trip! A Disney birthday is the best!

Being at Disney on my mom's birthday was fun, but it also created a little bit of a monster. Landon now has it in his head that he wants to go to Disney for one of his birthdays... :rotfl2: Mind you, when he became too whiny about it "why can't I go to Disney for my birthday??" we gently reminded him that my mom had to wait 50+ years for her opportunity.
"When you turn ** years old, you can go to Disney, too." :rotfl:

I've never been good at leaving kudos for the CMs - I need to be better about that. A great CM can really enhance a good day or turn around a bad day.

I know nowadays they like you to do a Cast Member shout out on Twitter, but I don't have that social media platform so I tend to forget!

Meeting characters is a fun way to start the day and a fun thing for your mom to do on her birthday!

I am not nearly as good at remembering character and photopass pictures as you, but I felt like I was somewhat accomplished by the ones we got on this morning!

LOL that last pic of a grumpy Landon is priceless!!

He has his moments where he can be dramatic...

What a great way for your mum to celebrate her birthday! You got some great photos too :thumbsup2
Have to say I had to laugh at the one of “grumpy “ Landon 😂. So not him poor wee man 😂 and yeah gotta keep your eye on that Minnie one !:rotfl:

In the last few years, my mom has made it a point to do something fun for her birthday. Since she's a very selfless individual, it makes me happy to see her giving herself a day to have fun. :goodvibes

And man I love Scottish accents. Anywhere I can go to hear more of them, I'll be there.

I'm with you on that. We're actually going to Scotland over Thanksgiving Break, but I'm a little worried because I have a terrible time understanding thick accents. I can just see me asking someone a question and having to go, "I'm sorry?" a half dozen times. :sad2::rotfl:

Favorite photo by far :rotfl:

This trip report's theme is "grumpy kid expressions caught on camera."

I always love the monorail loop through the park. I despise the second bag check. It's so stupid! Sounds like the new changes to the entrance will fix that though.

I think anything where you can sit down and enjoy views of the parks is an underrated attraction for most average guests. (The Epcot monorail, the Peoplemover, etc.)

2013... was that the old version? I know it had to be around that time that it changed, but I don't remember when it was exactly.

It was right after the refurb. Honestly, I think I only rode it in 2013 so I could see the change. And unlike Landon, I hate having to build my own car beforehand which is a big factor as to why I haven't rushed back to it.

I need to do this! We should have a DisBoards book club.

We should! I have been reading a lot more this year than in recent years and forgot how much I enjoyed the hobby.

On a past trip I got a Dole Whip air freshener for my son Nate's Christmas stocking.

That's a great gift idea! I'm terrible about remembering to grab something in the moment, so I need to write that down for a future reference.

I understand this. I usually have to take a hiatus from the boards if I don't have a trip planned.

I don't have anything officially booked, and it's been making it harder to want to write about Disney! I didn't realize how the excitement of another trip really carries over into remembering a recent one.

I intentionally don't sit all the way forward for this reason. I'm not sure why it has to be SO tight- I've never fallen out yet lol.

I am definitely going to remember this tip!

What on earth made her think that would be a light movie!

I can only guess she had no idea who Mary Queen of Scots was....I felt bad that she had to be shocked like that, but on the other hand, it made a very memorable moment for Alex and me.

Your veggie/falafel plate looked like AMAZING choices. I would love that, but I would have to share it with my hubby.

I would say that was an admirable start to your adult stay.

I wish the falafel had been a little fresher, but overall it was still a great meal choice, and I was grateful the Mara had something like that on the menu. I can still remember going to WDW when I was a teenager and eating mostly chicken strips and burgers.

Great pics of the kiddos. I can't believe how big they are getting!!!

I really need to kick this trip report into gear and move it along faster, because already the kids look so much older than these pictures. It's amazing what 5 months can mean in kid-time.

June 7th, 2019 Part 3:

At some point between Alex and Landon’s visit to Test Track and their failed attempt at meeting up with us girls, Alex snapped this photo of some of the topiaries out and about.

I like it because it showcases what a beautiful, blue sky, Florida day it was. Summertime was in full swing, and a quick look around me showed that I was on vacation. Forget the move, forget the house hunting on the horizon, the only concern I had that morning was how to keep Nana’s birthday celebration going.

Which leads me to where my mom and I and Evie had disappeared to without telling Alex.

My mom and I could probably count on two hands the number of times we’ve stopped by a Starbucks in the past year. We don’t have anything against the coffee chain, I’m just too cheap and my mom has had health changes in the last year that have eliminated coffee from her daily intakes.

However, today was a birthday! We deserved to splurge a little!

Plus…Alex wanted the new Starbucks Been There mug. So by going into the Starbucks we were knocking out several birds. Caffeine refill, souvenir purchase, and birthday splurge.

I was feeling pretty good about my decision to go there.

Until we neared the cash registers, and I remembered Alex had my credit card and my annual pass.
:sad2: :rotfl:

Nothing says it’s a mom’s birthday like having to pay for your daughter’s drink and gift on your big day! (And paying more than necessary because she couldn’t get her AP discount.):laughing:

Here is evidence of our special treats:

Iced vanilla latte for me and caramel frapp for my mom. She was able to drink about a third of it before having to stop; I tried to do my best to finish it off but didn’t make much headway with it. Good thing for us, we had set it on the bench while I called Alex and told him our new location and Evie had managed to reach it and contribute to the drinking of it.
:scared1:

Oh goodie. My daughter’s first taste of coffee. Not one of my prouder parenting moments, but it could have been worse. At least I didn’t let her get lost for a few seconds…
But that’s a story for another update.

It was not long after I called him that Alex and Landon found us. We then headed into the Land in order for my mom and I to use our Tier 1 Fastpasses. For this attraction, we did get a Rider Swap and then Alex took the kids to use their second FPs on Journey into Imagination.

My mom and I hopped in line and waited patiently for our turn on Soarin’.

My sweet mother had to bring me back to earth during our wait, though. I was completely distracted, thinking about goodness knows what, when vaguely I heard the Cast Member directing guests say, “You six go in Row 3.”

My muddled self went, “Oh, Row 3.” And started walking forward.

The Cast Member then called out, “Are you with them?” And pointed to the people in front of me.

At the same time my mom went, “What are you doing, Alicia?!”

I’ll fully admit right here…I was one of those completely oblivious guests that made the poor Cast Member’s job harder than necessary. Totally not paying attention and going off with a different group.

When I finally snapped to it and realized what I’d just done, I began apologizing to the CM and promising my mom I wouldn’t zone out again. Rookie Disney mistake right there…

The worst sting on the burn was when my mom and I were shuffled into the correct row and settled in for the video, my mom turned to me and said, “Don’t we want B? If you had gone with that group, wouldn’t we have gotten the crooked Eifel Tower.”

Ahhhhh, schooled by a novice Disney goer. My shame knows no bounds…

About the time I was mortifying myself in the Soarin’ queue, my kids were listening to “Imagination” and getting it permanently etched in their brains, to be recalled at any given point in time. (Also discovering the “face on the moon” that cracks them up months later.)

The attraction didn’t take very long to get through, so Alex took them to meet Ralph and Vanellope.

(It’s pretty obvious that this was a Dad only photo encounter, because it never dawned on him to brush Evie’s hair out of her face. The dressing and maintaining of Evie sends fear and panic into Alex’s eyes.)

When everyone was finished with their respective attractions, the five of us convened at Sunshine Seasons to grab a bite to eat. The kids got the Uncrustables meal with applesauce and grapes, and all three of us adults chose the Mongolian beef. My mom and I realized right away that we should have split one, because neither of us ate more than half of the rice or the beef.

Oh well, we lived and learned…

All of us but Evie had finished with our food and were sitting around chatting when I suggested Alex and my mom use the Rider Swap to go on Soarin’ again. Alex hadn’t seen the movie since it changed.

Back in 2017, my mom had taken Landon on Soarin’ for the first time, and he became scared during all the 3D moments. I told him he should stay back with Evie and me and not go again, but Landon was under a huge “Fear of Missing Out” feeling and insisted he would be okay this time around.

My mom and I tried really hard to sway him, but it wasn’t happening. If Nana was riding Soarin’ and it was another coaster he was tall enough for, he was doing it.

This was the day Landon learned a valuable lesson.

“Disney makes rides I don’t like.”

Give the kid drops, turns, darkness and he’s fine. Throw some sand towards a screen and that’s a big NOPE from him. :rotfl2:

Soarin’ is another attraction I have never ridden with Landon nor will I ever, it appears.:laughing:

As my mom and husband were enduring one child’s quirks, I was practicing patience with another’s. Evie was
STILL EATING her lunch. By a certain point, I packed the sandwich back in the container it came in and took her outside.

If I was going to be privy to my daughter’s nibblings I was at least going to enjoy the Epcot scenery as I did so.

I parked her stroller in front of the water where she could watch the ducks and waited for a monorail to pass by.

Is there anything more iconic to Epcot than this?!

Evie began to tire of the sandwich and decided she was done around the same time her brother and co. finished with Soarin’. The moods of the kids by this point had started to turn, and I knew an afternoon break was in order.

But first.

I really wanted us to use our final Fastpass.

None of us had gone on it since 2013 and with its impending refurb, we wanted to make sure we didn’t miss one last opportunity.

I’m talking about Spaceship Earth, of course:

Both kids wanted to sit next to my mom on this ride – it was the monorail all over again – so Alex and I got to enjoy the attraction all to ourselves. That probably amplified its entertainment factor more than anything else.

Although, Alex dozed off halfway through. So really it was just me enjoying our journey through time in complete peace.

His loss…

Up Next….Alex, I’m Her Mother!

I think it is easy to zone out waiting on rides and Soarin is one of them. I mostly listen to all the people around me, can be very interesting at times :hyper:

I can see how the change of scenes could be scary for a child. It is jarring

I love SE, such an iconic Epcot attraction. It was nice the kids wanted to ride with nana.

Don’t even get me started on the panic that overtook me every time a Cast Member asked, “Where are you from?”

Ehhhh. Well. My hometown is Florida. But I’ve lived in Germany for three years. And am about to move to England.”

You could always us my "It's Complicated!" line

Wow, the colors in this picture are incredible. I have never been during the Flower & Garden festival. A couple of trips in June with the 8th graders but the lush, beautiful floral displays are gone by then.

so Alex and I made a plan to go see the O Canada show. We had never seen it before,

Did you like it? (Apologies if you have already answered that a dozen times. Just reading the story and not the comments while I attempt to catch up)

Yum, lunch at Le Cellier!!! I haven't eaten there since it became a signature. I did try to make the soup once at home. It was ok, but I didn't use the beer they say is a must, so that may have been a reason it wasn't fabulous.

Dinner and a show (or two). Other guests can be so entertaining!

Last edited:
Ha! Andy and I talked about printing out "Flat Stanleys" of Morgan and Gwen when we go by ourselves. And take selfies with them around the parks. But I thought that might also be mean.

There was one year my son was sad that our family wasn't going to Disney. I had an 8th grade class trip with my older son, but Ben's wouldn't be for another 3 years. He even made a Power Point presentation about why we should go to Disney that year. Anyway, I made a "Flat Ben" and friends, and people from the DIS, took "him" on multiple trips. There were Halloween parties, a cruise, costume changes, other flat friends and even a trip to Universal. It was a lot of fun and I even wrote a trip report of his adventures.

Spoiler Alert- it did not satisfy his desire for a trip!

:rotfl:

I am always torn wondering if I will ever stay at AKL. On the one hand, it is a gorgeous resort and a very unique experience. But for my family, we find that location and convenience are the qualities we value in a resort.

I gotta admit, though, being greeted by a trio of giraffes and getting an guinea hen feeding lesson is pretty persuasive endorsement.

So sorry that you and Alex had such different reactions to Flights of Passage. It is such an amazing experience, but I know that it can be brutal for some people who get motion sick. I do hope that will future preparation and medication, perhaps he will be able to ride again and enjoy it.

Also, bummer that Alex had another setback on EE.

LOL at the woman who had a question about the buses. At least she didn't ask where to get the monorail that goes to Harry Potter! :confused3 Maybe this was her first trip without a car at Disney.

I loved the interaction with you and your mom over Evie's spaghetti-slurping quirk.

:rotfl2:

Last edited:
What a nice time in Minnesota, meeting a new family member and meeting up with a couple of awesome DIS friends. It really is amazing how people you meet through the internet can become such an important part of your life. Even better when you have the opportunity to spend time with them IRL!

I love reading about your trip planning stories- I'm impressed that you figured out that keeping the rental car would be less expensive than turning it in and getting another. And remembering to grab your SunPass! But D'OH on no window in your window seat! Although it sounds like the sleep was probably needed after your jam-packed day!

YAY on being reunited as a family.

Can't stop smiling at the story of the plush (in many ways) dog wedding and expectant parenthood. Cracks me up that Landon saw the text from Alex. And of course reminded me of a story.

For some reason, we were punishing my son Nate, by taking away either him game boy or an Xbox game. Can't really remember. But it was shortly after I got a phone that could text. I was driving both boys to a theater rehearsal and a text came in on my phone. Being a responsible driver, I asked Nate to read the text from his father to me.

"I put the game in the cabinet over the fridge"

:poop:

Which leads me to where my mom and I and Evie had disappeared to without telling Alex.

My mom and I could probably count on two hands the number of times we’ve stopped by a Starbucks in the past year. We don’t have anything against the coffee chain, I’m just too cheap and my mom has had health changes in the last year that have eliminated coffee from her daily intakes.

However, today was a birthday! We deserved to splurge a little!

Plus…Alex wanted the new Starbucks Been There mug. So by going into the Starbucks we were knocking out several birds. Caffeine refill, souvenir purchase, and birthday splurge.
We refer to Starbucks as Fivebucks as I have never spent less than that there, usually more. So it's a once in a while treat here too. Too bad about your AP and CC being with Alex though!
Oh goodie. My daughter’s first taste of coffee. Not one of my prouder parenting moments, but it could have been worse. At least I didn’t let her get lost for a few seconds…
Now I need to hear that story!
I’ll fully admit right here…I was one of those completely oblivious guests that made the poor Cast Member’s job harder than necessary. Totally not paying attention and going off with a different group.

When I finally snapped to it and realized what I’d just done, I began apologizing to the CM and promising my mom I wouldn’t zone out again. Rookie Disney mistake right there…

The worst sting on the burn was when my mom and I were shuffled into the correct row and settled in for the video, my mom turned to me and said, “Don’t we want B? If you had gone with that group, wouldn’t we have gotten the crooked Eifel Tower.”
I have totally done that too.....it's easy to daydream in the Soarin' line.
(It’s pretty obvious that this was a Dad only photo encounter, because it never dawned on him to brush Evie’s hair out of her face. The dressing and maintaining of Evie sends fear and panic into Alex’s eyes.)
:laughing:
Give the kid drops, turns, darkness and he’s fine. Throw some sand towards a screen and that’s a big NOPE from him. :rotfl2:

Soarin’ is another attraction I have never ridden with Landon nor will I ever, it appears.:laughing:
Poor little man!
Is there anything more iconic to Epcot than this?!
Beautiful picture!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!