Waterproof Cast Cover???

*JoGo*

DIS Veteran
I broke 2 bones in my ankle and have a sprain. About 6 weeks in a cast.... and going to the beach in less than 4 weeks. Tickets already bought, car rented, condo reserved... Kids already know. Brother has taken off work (he and his fiancee are going w/ me and my kids, 10 & 7, to my in-law's condo).

I have no intentions of going into the ocean, but would like the option to atleast sit on the pool steps w/ my leg out, and will need water protection for that. And I'd love to be able to take a shower... after I regain my balance.

Has anyone tried the drycast brand? or any others? reviews?

I'm trying to make the best of this!
I can sit home with a cast, or I can sit in Florida with a cast!

Can your doc switch you to a GoreTex cast? (I'm really surprised it wasn't offered at the time it was casted -- EVERYONE prefers the water-resistant casts for lower limbs, because you can bathe in them.) Water is no problem with GoreTex, but you do still have to avoid sand.

There is usually about a $75 surcharge for Goretex over the price of plaster, and a lot of insurance companies won't pay the difference. Still, it's worth it to save a major vacation, IMO. (I say this as the Mom of an 18 mo who fractured her tibia the day before we left on a spring break trip. We were scheduled to go to the beach, but we switched at the last minute and went to WDW instead, because of the sand prohibition.)

I broke my wrist last summer, and they gave me a plastic sleeve for it (intended for me to use to bathe, but yes, I used it to get in the pool as well) and we also bought a second, nicer sleeve at the drug store.

Something like this:
durodry.jpg

And actually, the suggestion of a heavy-duty trash bag and some tape isn't a bad one. Put the cast in the bag, wrap some tape around the top of the bag (don't actually tape it to your leg) and be careful not to get it too tight of course. :)

We used one by Dry Corp. for my DD when her lower leg was casted for the entire summer. The cast cover had a non-skid bottom so that walking around the pool area was safe. It works by using a reverse bulb pump type system that creates a water-tight seal above the cast. You squeeze the bulb pump until all of the air is removed from under the cover, so it effectively creates a suction that keeps the cast dry.

I can tell you that DD actually swam in the deep end with this cast cover and not one drop of water leaked into her cast. I can't recommend this product enough! It was about $35 and we purchased it from a medical supply store near our home. I was so impressed that I showed the contraption to her orthopedic surgeon, who now stocks it for his patients.

You can check it out at www.drycorp.com

Good Luck!

Often initial breaks have to have a traditional cast but after a few weeks the orthopedic dr may be willing to switch to a waterproof cast if you pay the extra money out of pocket. I would call the orthopedic office and see if they can switch your cast before your trip.

We used one by Dry Corp. for my DD when her lower leg was casted for the entire summer. The cast cover had a non-skid bottom so that walking around the pool area was safe. It works by using a reverse bulb pump type system that creates a water-tight seal above the cast. You squeeze the bulb pump until all of the air is removed from under the cover, so it effectively creates a suction that keeps the cast dry.

I can tell you that DD actually swam in the deep end with this cast cover and not one drop of water leaked into her cast. I can't recommend this product enough! It was about $35 and we purchased it from a medical supply store near our home. I was so impressed that I showed the contraption to her orthopedic surgeon, who now stocks it for his patients.

You can check it out at www.drycorp.com

Good Luck!

My used the above cast cover last year when he broke his arm at the beginning of summer, it worked like a charm, no water ever! It was a life saver and saved his summer.

We did get a "water cast" put on my son, but, while he was waiting to get it put on in the cast room, there was another little boy getting his off and his arm was covered with sores from the cast getting wet while he swam on vacation, the rubbing of the wet cast made the sores. My son decided he wanted to wear the cover rather than take the chance of the sores.

My son broke his hand a couple years ago and they put a waterproof cast on him.

He is a swimmer and he didn't miss a practice. He even swam in two meets wearing a cast!

I have a friend whose daughter is on the same swim team. She broke her arm a few weeks ago, and has a cast that comes up past her elbow. She too has a waterproof cast and has kept coming to swim practice. Now...she can't "swim", but she uses a kickboard and kicks the entire practice.

Now sand...I don't know that sand would actually be bad for the CAST...but i know if it got down INSIDE it could possibly rub sores or blisters on your feet.

My wrist was casted on and off for about 8 months (torn ligment w/ two surgeries). I used a cover from http://www.xerosox.com/ for bathing and swimming (I was in college and trying to stay in shape for water polo). It worked perfectly.

My daughter broke her wrist last summer and I didn't think twice about getting her 'drycast'. It was great....swimming at the cottage, baths, sprinklers, etc. Go for it! :thumbsup2

Seriously....garbage bags and duct tape? :confused3

The "Castcoverultra" is far and away the best cover for a cast that I have found. I have suffered through a compound fracture and a crushed elbow. Both times I used a different cover and they were unbearable! I ended up cutting both of these in order to be able to use them at all. The opening was so tight it cut the circulation off and I had to cut the first one off. These were not cheap. However, the Castcoverultra is so comfortable and has a double closure at the top so your cast gets extra protection from getting wet. And the cost is comparable to all of the other covers for a product that is far superior.

I am a big fan of this and so is my mom, age 80, who broke her wrist. I was not about to subject her to the other cast protector and found this one on castcoverultra.com . I am very grateful I did

I broke my wrist last summer, and they gave me a plastic sleeve for it (intended for me to use to bathe, but yes, I used it to get in the pool as well) and we also bought a second, nicer sleeve at the drug store.

Something like this:
durodry.jpg

:)

I used that too and it worked fine..

My son broke his wrist and he had a beach trip coming up so we went with waterproof cast, since insurance didn't cover all of it I had to pay $45 for the waterproof cast over a regular. It was the funkiest thing I ever smelled,:sick: He would get in the car and I rolled down windows I almost took it off myself. What finally helped was pouring a bottle of axe body wash down it. He also had a raw rash from it being wet that he never had with any of his other casts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter