water in POTC boats still an issue! (small rant)

disney world dreamer

DIS Veteran
its unbelievable to me that this problem has not been fixed.
my parents were at MK yesterday and said there was at least a couple inches in the boat.
they sat in the 4th row and after the drop the water sloshed all over the place and they got their feet wet.
my dad complained to a CM when he exited the boat but that CM did not care.
he filed a complaint at guest services as well.
i am going to submit a complaint via the disney world website and i will not be riding it when i'm there on friday as i find it ridiculous that we should get our feet wet because disney doesn't get the point that they need to fix it!

I've read all these posts about water and was a little concerned about it, but we rode this past Monday, first row, and did not get wet. Just a few droplets... And there was no water in the boat.

I don't doubt that it's happening to some people but I wonder what circumstances have to be to cause it?

I had the same experience as the last poster. I got into a completely dry boat and got a couple minor splashes (like 3 drops) from explosions but that's it. I too would like to what causes the problem sometimes and not others!

I'm afraid that eventually I am going to get soaked unknowingly!!

I love the ride - to me it is frustrating because I do wear some sandals that I'd really rather not get wet (they won't be ruined but they dry slowly). So we can luck out and get a dry boat or I have to keep my feet up...

There is water in the ride. I don't understand how anyone can expect to not get water on them? It makes no sense. Complaints to GS because of the physics of water on a BOAT ride?

so you think its normal for there to be several inches of water on the floor of the boats?
that makes no sense.
just like it would make no sense for there to be lots of water on the floor of the its a small world boats, or the living with the land boats, or the mexico boats.
my family has been going to WDW since the early 70's we DO expect to get a little wet from the slight splash of the drop but we don't expect water to be pooled in the bottom of the boat. not even on splash mountain is there that much water on the floor.

Last edited:
I rode it in early Oct. and other than the little drops, had no problems. I've never gotten wet on the ride nor have I ever gotten in a boat with water on the floor. Well, maybe on a rainy day. I've been going for over 30 years, maybe I've just gotten lucky in what has to have been over 30 rides.

I rode it in early Oct. and other than the little drops, had no problems. I've never gotten wet on the ride nor have I ever gotten in a boat with water on the floor. Well, maybe on a rainy day. I've been going for over 30 years, maybe I've just gotten lucky in what has to have been over 30 rides.

there have been other threads on here that people have expressed that since the refurb it has been happening.
prior to my parents having it happen to them yesterday it has not happened before to us.
i went in april prior to it closing for the refurb and it was business as usual then as well.

In my limited experience, it has to do with weight on the boat. The two rows ahead of us each had 4 adults crammed in, shoulder to shoulder. None of them would have qualified for The Biggest Loser but they weren't svelte either. We had two adults, one child in our row and a similar row behind us. Our feet got fairly wet. It happens. I was over it about two minutes later.

There is water in the ride. I don't understand how anyone can expect to not get water on them? It makes no sense. Complaints to GS because of the physics of water on a BOAT ride?

I think you have been going to WDW and DLR long enough to remember what the ride was like before the new boats were put in. It was NOT normal for riders in the first seat to get soaked at the drop, nor was it normal to have measurable water in the bottom of the boat. An occasional light sprinkling, yes. It was almost as dry as IASW, another boat ride where one could expect to not get wet. Now it's almost as bad as Splash Mountain.

From what I've read, it's partly due to the design of the new boat, and partly due to CM's packing in as many guests as possible in each boat in an attempt to reduce the long lines. When the boat is full, especially with heavier adults, it's lower in the water and you end up with a big splash at the bottom of the drop.

They didn't rectify it during the last refurb. I've read a rumour that they will be gradually replacing the boats, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet.

I don't see what good complaining to a ride CM will do. There's not a thing they can do about it. But by all means complain via the guest communications email. Perhaps that will speed up the fix.

We went on it 3 times on our last visit and had soaked feet twice, and a big splash right in the face once. I wasn't thrilled by it, but can't say it bothered me enough to raise a fuss.

... due to CM's packing in as many guests as possible in each boat in an attempt to reduce the long lines. When the boat is full, especially with heavier adults, it's lower in the water and you end up with a big splash at the bottom of the drop.

:thumbsup2

Ditto this. We visited after the refurb and did not see standing water nor did we get soaked during the multiple times we rode. Will be back in 2 weeks and will check it out again.

I don't see what good complaining to a ride CM will do. There's not a thing they can do about it. But by all means complain via the guest communications email. Perhaps that will speed up the fix.

We went on it 3 times on our last visit and had soaked feet twice, and a big splash right in the face once. I wasn't thrilled by it, but can't say it bothered me enough to raise a fuss.

my dad is the type of person that will speak up when there's a problem.
he knew telling the CM at the exit would do nothing but the squeaky wheel gets the grease in his opinion so the more CM's he told the better he felt lol.

my parents don't care to walk around with wet feet when there was no need to.
its not august when they expect it due to downpours.
by no means did it "ruin" their day or anything it was just annoying.

they had a fabulous time yesterday other than that.
they're at HS today and have been having an even better time i'd say.
my mom messaged me that a CM let them in the FP+ line for their second viewing of the frozen sing along lol.

We rode in the first row last week. Four of us sitting across. My daughter and I got soaked by a wave that came over the boat on the left side. Several inches of water that splashed onto our seats and soaked our pants and feet. I brushed quite a bit of water off the seat underneath me. It was a warm but cloudy day and took quite a long time to dry out. My husband and son sitting right next to us and barely got a sprinkle.

We have ridden POTC so many times before in the front row and never had this happen. Definitely something is going on with the boats or the overloading of the boats. We were probably heavier on the left side which caused this but just be aware. It didn't ruin our day but sure as heck surprised us. Glad it wasn't a cold day.

Luckily I had read about the new water feature that we didn't encounter last March so we took steps to prepare. Not wearing sneakers but waterproof Keens and asking the CM if my parents could sit second row since our group of 6 ended up near the front of the next group. My DH DS & I definitely gotthe full water in the face splash on the drop this time on 11/16. Our rears were damp when we first sat down as there was some water on the seats & definitely water in the bottom of the boat.

I went in April pre-refurb as a PP mentioned and rode twice. The first time we had no issues. The second time we rode was on our KTTK tour. The guide packed the whole group into one boat, can't remember how many of us there were but maybe 14-16? Can't remember how many a boat holds either. She mentioned that it was a "heavy" boat as a result. We did get significantly wet on the drop that time. Not soaked, but I had my backpack in my lap and it got quite a bit of water on it. I think it must have something to do with weight, and it just sounds like it's gotten worse since the refurb.

How do you contact someone at WDW to let them know about this problem? Perhaps if they hear from enough of us, they will do something about the problem.

In my limited experience, it has to do with weight on the boat. The two rows ahead of us each had 4 adults crammed in, shoulder to shoulder. None of them would have qualified for The Biggest Loser but they weren't svelte either. We had two adults, one child in our row and a similar row behind us. Our feet got fairly wet. It happens. I was over it about two minutes later.

I wonder if this is why there are reports of the boats getting stuck and cm's having to come out and have the entire boat load of people rock back and forth to dislodge it.

You must have missed the other thread. This goes way beyond a little water. This involves people getting drenched almost as if they were riding the Bilge Rat Barges and the boats also sometimes listing and getting stuck. That is not how this ride normally operates for how many years now?

I understand it's annoying, but at the same point you're going to dry off at some point. This isn't the end of the world. You are at Disney, an experience many families do not get.

It's really more of a pick your battles kind of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter