"Wasting" TS credits?

wifisker

Mouseketeer
I'm sure a lot of people would think this is crazy, but is anyone else thinking about using some of your TS credits for CS meals instead?

DD and I will have 6 nights' worth of credits and it just seems like too much table dining for us. We're not real routine about when we eat meals so it's hard to plan ahead when we're likely to be hungry or what we'll be craving on any particular day. It would give us more flexibility at CS we'd like to try AND it's less money OOP for tips that can even add up quickly. I think I'd overeat more at TS places, too. It also takes more time away from touring.

Last - but certainly not least - I just checked to see what's still available for the final two TS ADRs and I'm not entirely impressed with the choices. Sure, I wouldn't mind Japanese or French with my friends but not with my preschooler who wouldn't be impressed.

So far we've got ADRs at 50s Prime Time, Akershus for late breakfast, Chef Mickey's for late breakfast and Crystal Palace for lunch.

Would it be a total waste to use the last two TS for CS instead, so we could more casually choose the meals we'd like to fill in those days?

she will have ALOT more fun and a nice cool sit down break if u do TS' for chara TS............try Cape May in BC for chara breakfast,
ohana chara breakfast,
cristayl palace for lunch or dinner.......tuskar house for donalds breakfast,,,,,
a break/rest in the heat will be great for a preschooler
have fun!:yay:

We do already have the 3 character meals booked at Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace and Akershus.

Tusker House didn't have any breakfast ADRs for the day we'll be in AK and the other options are out of the parks; plus have limited to no availability left during our stay.

Basically, even though some of the available ADRs I saw might be great for someone else - Chefs de France, Rose and Crown, etc. - what's left for ADRs don't really appeal to me or I'm almost certain they won't appeal to DD. I can keep searching, book a TS meal we aren't wild about b/c we're at least maximizing the value, or just scrap it and eat casual CS that sounds good at the moment.

It makes sense to do whatever works for your family. With counter service there'd be no tip to pay and no extra time spent at a restaurant rather than doing the parks. For my family though I'm having a hard time choosing between all the fabulous restaurants! Have you considered The Plaza at Magic Kingdom? It's just burgers and fries, so like a counter service, but the place looks light and airy and kid-friendly. At Epcot, are you looking at lunches? A lot of places that are full at 6 p.m. are open at noon.

Edited to say: At Animal Kingdom, we went for a mid-day Yak & Yeti. It's gotten great reviews & is air-conditioned. I'll have my 2 preschoolers along, as well as my 6-year-old, but I think they'll like that one. It looks like cool theming and it has kid-friendly stuff (aka the ubiquitous chicken nuggets, etc.) on the menu.

If you are paying for the plan, it might be better value-wise for you to look into getting the counter service plan and paying for your TS (you have all buffets booked except Prime Time which is not expensive; buffets tend to be the cheaper TS dining options) or not using any dining plan if your intention is to use half or more of your TS credits for CS.

If you're getting the plan free, it won't matter.

It may even be cheaper if you are getting the free dining, to give it up and take a room discount take that money saved and pay OOP for everything, this depends on which resort (value,mod, or delux) you are staying at. The more expensive the resort the more the discount.

Are you getting free dining? If so, I wouldn't worry about wasting the TS credits so much. If you're paying for the dining plan, then I would run some numbers to see if you'll still break out ahead money-wise if you use the TS credits for CS meals.

Also, I saw you mentioned that Teppan Edo in Japan was available. I'm thinking your preschooler might actually enjoy that meal since the chefs cook at your table and put on a show.

I don't think it's crazy! Do what works best for your family.

There are some here who are hell bent on squeezing every thin dime's worth of value out of each DDP meal. I don't see the mental/emotional value in making meals quite so complicated for your family.

We'll have the DDP for our upcoming trip only because the best available room/package included it. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get the most expensive meals for our credits. We have ADRs at places we want to eat at and if a sit down meal doesn't work well with our 2.5 year old's vibe for the moment, I'd gladly use that TS credit for a CS meal!

Go with your instincts and your whole group will be happier!

Book the ones you want, and then take what's available when you want to use it. I have never, not once, not ever, not been able to get a reservation somewhere within 2 hours of asking. Turf Club and Olivia's are our stand by choices (and they are ALWAYS open. I've walked in several times, even just yesterday at noon). Book the meals you really want and then for the other ones, just call in and ask to be seated somewhere (lunch is easier). It's just such a better break in the middle of the day to sit down in the a/c and get real food.

Thanks for all the input. I really do appreciate it.

We're staying at a Value (ASMo) and it's free dining. Even if we could get a decent enough room discount - I didn't receive a PIN or anything - I know myself well enough that I'd cheap out and wouldn't have booked the ADRs I did if it would be OOP. ;)

Sigh. I don't want to book a TS if it's not the kind of food DD and I would both enjoy just because it's all that's left but maybe I can just keep an eye out for any new openings. If I spot something at one of my top choices we'll book an ADR. If not, CS it is. We can play it by ear.

Have you considered The Plaza at Magic Kingdom? It's just burgers and fries, so like a counter service, but the place looks light and airy and kid-friendly.

I looked at the Plaza's menu but, honestly, I think there were CS choices that sounded at least as good or better and would give us flexibility in when we wanted to eat.

Edited to say: At Animal Kingdom, we went for a mid-day Yak & Yeti. It's gotten great reviews & is air-conditioned.

This one I didn't look at. I thought there were pretty mixed reviews but I may be thinking of something else. :confused3 I'll check it out!

I say go with your preschooler and have all the fun you can! Let them dictate your schedule and if chicken nuggets at Pecos Bill seems to be the best value of the day--then you have made a GREAT choice. For most of us, it really is about our kids having the most fun! I know mine don't value a great TS meal nearly as much as I do!!

We don't have a meal at AK, we eat breakfast before or dinner after at Boma the AK Lodge. Just there last week and our 7yo loved Boma breakfast and he can be picky. We ate there twice he loved it so much.

I strongly suggest you plan to use your TS credits for TS meals here are some suggestions:

1. Neither ESPN Club or Beaches and Cream take reservations, but both are TS meals. So you could do those without much planning.

2. Book a 2TS meal: Cindy's Royal Table, Hoop Dee Doo Review and even Narcoossee's could be good options for that (our 5yo loved Narcoossee's)

3. As mentioned book a meal at Boma, wonderful food and nice to visit the Lodge.

4. If your daughther has any appreciation for the Playhouse Disney characters, book Hollywood and Vine for lunch rather than 50's Prime Time

I just returned with a 7yo, we had all of our TS meals scheduled and really had no issues having an appetite or enjoying the meals. In fact, I think knowing exactly when we were going to have the big meal helped me plan snacks and even our ride/show schedule for the day.

I'm sure a lot of people would think this is crazy, but is anyone else thinking about using some of your TS credits for CS meals instead?

DD and I will have 6 nights' worth of credits and it just seems like too much table dining for us. We're not real routine about when we eat meals so it's hard to plan ahead when we're likely to be hungry or what we'll be craving on any particular day. It would give us more flexibility at CS we'd like to try AND it's less money OOP for tips that can even add up quickly. I think I'd overeat more at TS places, too. It also takes more time away from touring.

Last - but certainly not least - I just checked to see what's still available for the final two TS ADRs and I'm not entirely impressed with the choices. Sure, I wouldn't mind Japanese or French with my friends but not with my preschooler who wouldn't be impressed.

So far we've got ADRs at 50s Prime Time, Akershus for late breakfast, Chef Mickey's for late breakfast and Crystal Palace for lunch.

Would it be a total waste to use the last two TS for CS instead, so we could more casually choose the meals we'd like to fill in those days?

I don't think it's a waste if it's what you want to do. It's your vacation.
And most CS meals with drink and dessert are pushing $15 bucks a piece, so you are still using up some serious money there for the value.
If you hit restaurants like Wolfgang express it can be the price of a TS, same with the CS over at Coranado...very expensive.
But it comes down to doing what works best for you during your vacation, not maximizing every dollar...especially if you are gonna end up feeling like you are throwing food away anyway.

i don't think it's crazy! Do what works best for your family.

There are some here who are hell bent on squeezing every thin dime's worth of value out of each ddp meal. I don't see the mental/emotional value in making meals quite so complicated for your family.

We'll have the ddp for our upcoming trip only because the best available room/package included it. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get the most expensive meals for our credits. We have adrs at places we want to eat at and if a sit down meal doesn't work well with our 2.5 year old's vibe for the moment, i'd gladly use that ts credit for a cs meal!

Go with your instincts and your whole group will be happier!

ditto!!!!

I think you should wait until a little before you want to eat to decide. I do think the TS is much better for rejuvenating a child, but you most likely can get into somewhere at the last minute. Just call Disney Dining # and ask what is open. Or if you really feel like CS, then do it. It's not worth changing the way you would do things just to get the most dollar amount out of the plan.

We just got back from a fabulous 7-day. We had 3 TS left on our last day. I felt like I needed to use them but ended up getting a Pizza & eating it by the pool. My DD told me later it was one of her favorite meals because we just sat & talked about our trip with no interuptions. Cant beat that!

That is why we had a pin but opted to do the QSDP instead. My dh hates having to be some where all the time. I am paying out of pocket for CP dinner one evening. I will use that credit for breakfest the day we leave. We figure just in tips alone it would be addtional 250.00. For us all the Ts don't work. My kids would rather eat t-rex or rainforest which is not on the dp. After are dinner we figure we will still save around 100.00 in tips.

Sometimes a walkup for a TS is possible so keep that idea open. Your daughter might also see some "fun" looking places that she might want to try and you can try to get an ADR for sometime during your trip. Don't under estimate her either. New, fun food in a really cool setting might just be a way to introduce some new foods. EVen if she does not like all the foods, the experence is good for her!

BUT...if you end up wanting CS eat it....you are on vacation and the DDP is suppose to make is easy not harder!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter