Was I Being a Germaphobe?

I would never eat those chips. To me it’s not so much about germs but just thinking about what could be on the chips. Kids picking their noses, going to the bathroom, dirt from the balls and the field, smelly baseball gloves, etc. No thanks! Out of my 3 kids, one would probably eat them and the out two would be grossed out by them. I would certainly let them eat them if they wanted to.

This is exactly what we've all been trying to say. A sick person would have had to be there and touch the chips. From what I know of e coli, someone infected with it is not going to be well enough to hang out at a Little League game.

From everydayhealth: "...keep in mind that you may still have pathogenic E coli in your system even if you do not experience any symptoms. In fact, some people continue to "shed" the bacteria for several months after getting over their illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Because of this, it's important to practice proper hygiene at all times.

Last edited:
You may have spent a good bit of time working in restaurants but at least one of the people you're arguing with is a registered nurse so I'll assume they know what they're talking about.

Apparently not, as they called me out on the simple fact that the bacteria can be spread person to person due to poor hygiene.

Last edited:
Again, from everydayhealth: "...keep in mind that you may still have pathogenic E coli in your system even if you do not experience any symptoms. In fact, some people continue to "shed" the bacteria for several months after getting over their illness, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Because of this, it's important to practice proper hygiene at all times."

Was the Registered Nurse one of those that "liked" your post?

A kid or adult with an active E. coli infection wouldn't be at a little league game LOL.

Most of us don't really think there is absolutely NO chance of it happening, we think that there is a miniscule chance of it happening, and that is the point that WE are trying to make. The OP asked if she was being a germaphobe, which most people would define as illogically overreacting to possible risk of infection in a given context. We all take risks every day of our lives and make split second decisions about which ones we are willing to accept. Frankly, the OP's driving her child to that Little League game and/or allowing him to play baseball were BOTH statistically far more likely to result in harm to him than eating those chips would have been, which means that in that particular setting at that time, she WAS probably being unnecessarily over-cautious about the chips.

Actually, no. The respondents to my post were saying that I was passing on lies. What I said was that "to me" that was a risk I didn't care to take.

I wonder who has the most posts on this thread? There used to be a list. Too bad that isn't there anymore but I have a strong guess.

If, IF you're insinuating that it's me, that would be only because others are calling me out and telling me I'm wrong when I'm clearly not. Of course I'm going to defend my position. I don't understand how that is considered so extreme.

Again with the falsehoods. My post referenced the Mayo Clinic and the most common/typical way to acquire e coli. NOT every way to contract it - just to be clear.
No need to contact the CDC, but thanks!

The above post was after your post accusing me of spreading false information.

I gave up - when people do not want to believe in facts or the truth you cannot make them. She isn't worth my time.

I don't know what you're talking about. You called it a "falsehood" that E coli is most commonly SPREAD (not originally acquired) through poor hygiene. It is, in fact, a fact. I believe that makes you the one that doesn't want to believe facts.

Last edited:
POO POO CHIPS! GET YOUR POO POO CHIPS RIGHT HERE! FREE FOR THE TAKING! :rotfl2:

Yeah, it's gross. But you know what? in the moment, I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. I would have made my kids wash their hands, but then I'd probably let them reach into the bag and get some chips.

And can I just add....who the heck is able to pick up chips with tongs? I have always found this to be quite challenging. I think that we should add the Food Handling Practices Class to today's set of course instruction. There will be a quiz on Friday and a midterm next week.

1 more thing...you want to talk about poo poo hands? Get a load of this!

2 yr ago, I chaperoned 1 of my kid's school field trips. It was great. We went to a small local farm in the middle of the city. It's set up to teach school kids about sustainable agriculture & all that. It was really interesting...they talked about organic farming, worm composting, regular composting, the whole 9 yards. And then we went to the section with the chickens, which was right next to the compost pile. As the instructor is telling the kids all about how they compost the chicken poop and they mix it right there (and he points to the big pile) with straw and other organic material, 1 of the boys sticks both arms up to the elbows in the pile of composting chicken manure/compost. RIGHT AFTER the instructor told the kids to NOT PLAY IN THE POO POO! OMG, this kid had chicken poop all over his hands. He just wiped it off on his pants. Instructor & parents told him to at least use some of the hand sanitizer that was right there outside the chicken coop. Kid didn't do anything of the sort.

A short while after that, we all ate lunch. So the kid got some chicken poo poo with his lunch that day. It was so disgusting. The kid is still alive, so he won the Darwinism lottery that day, I suppose. But there you go...the future of our world right there. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The above post was after your post accusing me of spreading false information.

I don't know what you're talking about. You called it a "falsehood" that E coli is most commonly SPREAD (not originally acquired) through poor hygiene. It is, in fact, a fact. I believe that makes you the one that doesn't want to believe facts.
Basic message board etiquette is if you state a fact, YOU should be the one to provide “evidence” of that fact. Usually you would provide a link like this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/understanding-e-coli-symptoms-spread-prevention-1.786624

You can also quote a segment of the page to show others what you’re referring to. Like this:
How does E. coli spread?
While E. coli is most often found in meat, it is not limited to it. The bacteria are also found in unpasteurized milk and apple cider, ham, turkey, chicken, roast beef, sandwich meats, raw vegetables, cheese and contaminated water.

Bean and alfalfa sprouts have also been recalled because of E. coli contamination.

Fruits and vegetables that grow close to the ground are susceptible to E. coli contamination if, for example, improperly composted cattle manure is used as a fertilizer.

E. coli, salmonella and cryptosporidium can also be found in unpasteurized juice. Children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems are encouraged to drink pasteurized juice or boil unpasteurized juice before consuming it.

Once someone has eaten contaminated food, the infection can be passed from one person to another person by hand-to-mouth contact. The bacteria are most often spread person to person.
You can go further by holding what you want to emphasize (as I did above). Since I did your internet homework, will you do my social studies? :)

(Professor stands at front of the lecture hall)

Ok everybody, in tomorrow's lecture, we're going to cover how to properly cite your term papers & research projects. Any and all posts to any message boards online must always include proper citations in MLA format. Failure to do so will result in 10% off of the grade for that paper.

I would like to know what truth or facts I'm not believing in? I don't recall telling anyone that they were wrong - other than when someone told me that the E coli bacteria can't be spread person to person/through bad hygiene - and they were wrong.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter