• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning related to guest of honor badges

BrerMom

DIS Veteran
I love the guest of honor badges and wear mine with pride. I couldn't believe the number of adults that assume I'm a CM because of the badge, though. I usually knew the answer ;) and they went on their way, but it got me to thinking:

So many of us tell our kids that if we get separated to look for a CM with a namebadge that looks like this - and point to a CM. If adults get confused looking at my GoH badge and think I'm a CM, what's to keep a frightened child from choosing a person with a GoH badge, who may or may not have the kid's best interest in mind?

I love the GoH badges, but I really wish they weren't sooo similar to the CM badges. Just food for thought.....

Great point!

Remember only CMs have nametags with a white background. I trained my son early on to know the difference. For little ones, it takes a lot of reinforcement, but worth it!

Wow I never thought of this!:eek:

Thank you both for your tips!

Gees, I never thought of that either. Now what!! We all try to go to disney to have a good time, yet there's always something else to worry about. Thanks for letting us know. I forget, do the cm's wear a certain uniform type outfit. I know in the resorts they do, but what about the parks?

Originally posted by dg39
I forget, do the cm's wear a certain uniform type outfit. I know in the resorts they do, but what about the parks?

CMs dress for their roles. Each section of a park will have different costumes. Management will be in street clothes. It is hard to tell by clothes alone because as you move through a park it may change.

while I agree it's a valid point, I have noticed that very few guests wear these badges, which is probably why those of us that do get confused with CMs. I think if your child did get lost, the chances of them spotting someone wearing a GOH badge would be pretty low, and the chances of them spotting a 'bad person' wearing one would be extremely low.

But to be on the safe side, how about telling them to speak to someone who is working at a cash register, you have to admit, you are never more than 5 steps from a cash register in WDW!

Bev

I just thought of this the other day myself. Kind of freaked me a little.

I guess I also worry about sometone with a guest of honor luring my kids away with the promise of seeing Mickey or something. My 8 Y.O. has suddenly (in the last few weeks, started the thing of running ahead without me.She scared the jeebers out of me the other day at Walmart. We have had a few battles over the situation.

We've also always told our kids to find a CM with a WHITE nametag if they ever got lost. They have been to Disney so many times now that they know how to find a CM - ie there is usually one standing outside a ride, at a food court, behind a cash register in a shop, etc.

They do not make guest of honor badges in white, so there's no chance of a mistake. I also agree that it seems that you see fewer people wearing the guest of honor badges these days anyway.

I told my DS to go into the nearest store, restaurant, ice cream cart or ride, wait his turn in line and tell the person behind the register or cart or loading the ride that he is lost. I versed him on knowing that the CM's have white name badges. I figured if he got lost, he'd know to go and wait in line and let the person cashing people out know he was lost.

I tell my children the same- as Daxx- except I don't tell them to wait their turn in line! I say go right up to them and tell them that they are lost. I'm sure the others won't mind if a 5yr old cuts to say they have lost their parents. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter