Warning for those taking a cab from SNA

The cab from SNA to Disneyland is supposed to be $45 flat rate. There are signs in the airport that still say that. When we got in the driver started the meter. I told him that I knew it was supposed to be a flat rate and he said he would drop us off at an empty taxi stand - we were on one of the last flights of the night after 2 hour delays from the east coast - unless we agreed to pay more because gas prices had gone up. Finally we agreed to pay $50 because we were exhausted but it definitely felt uncomfortable.

Another example of why I don’t miss legacy taxis at all. From a safety and customer service standpoint, you’re almost always better off with Uber or Lyft than getting in some random taxi whose driver is probably only doing that job because he is unable to pass the background checks that Uber and Lyft require.

Exactly. You contact Lyft customer service and all issues are taken care of promptly. Bad drivers are quickly removed from the App. Complain to the taxi authority? Crickets.

Report the driver to the agency that regulates cabs in CA.
There actually is none in CA 🤦🏻‍♀️ Some local municipalities regulate taxis, but not all of them. I tried to find some government agency to report the driver to for OP but I’m coming up empty handed.

With the competition from Uber, it is amazing how bad taxis still are. We go often to Hawaii, none take credit cards, like who does not take credit cards. Then it is always a fight to get the most direct route, and the quality of taxis is often terrible. We had one in Texas in a monsoon and the windshield wipers did not work. They we had one in NYC who had a pissy fit because we were not going to the Airport, just the cruise terminal. About every experience is bad

I prefer to use a Taxi because I pay with cash.
Part of the travel folder I carry has a page I print out for my taxi ride to the hotel.

This page has the Hotel Name and Address. Plus I include the Flat Rate I verified online for the trip. If I like the driver's driving, I will ask if they are available to be called for my trip back to SNA. For the ride back to the airport the page has the Airport Name and Airline I'm flying.

In Feb 2022 the Flat Rate SNA to Harbor was $45.00 each way.

Walk out of the Terminal and the taxis are right there.... hop in and off you go.... no waiting, fumbling with a phone....
Oh, and despite what was said up thread, taxi drivers do have to go through background checks, etc.... more extensive than uber/lyft. Police dept. checks, licensing, testing, etc. (Been lots of issues with safety with uber/lyft across the country.)

We have never had any issues with the SNA taxis. In fact, the last couple of times we have been I have checked Uber and Lyft and it was going to take 20 minutes for them to show up while the taxi was just right there and the prices were the same.

Last summer I took a taxi for a similar reason. Taxi I think was about the same as lyft, less than uber but it was ready right now vs the long wait that I didn't want to do at 10pm. Just wanted to get to the hotel. The return I did uber since the price was better and I had set aside time to wait for them. Only issue was the taxi driver wasn't happy I was paying with a card, but I hadn't planned to take a cab so didn't have enough cash. Also would prefer to not pay in cash.

In Feb 2022 the Flat Rate SNA to Harbor was $45.00 each way.
I checked what I paid my last several trips with Lyft and I paid: $25, $22, $30, $25, $26, $22. That's a savings of $120 off what I'd pay with a cab. I can think of a lot better ways to use that $120 than for a cab.

I’ve had this issue with pretty much every city I’ve flown into that has a flat-rate fee posted. It’s the #2 reason I stopped using legacy cabs, and didn’t shed a tear when Uber/Lyft destroyed their business model.

My #1 was always “sorry, card machine is broken, cash only.” Icing on the cake once was the cab driver insisting on driving me to an ATM, in the middle of the hood in Philadelphia, at 1:30am.

The machine magically worked when I said I could pay him cash tomorrow.

Sorry OP for this (sadly typical) experience with a legacy cab.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter