Walt Disney World Resort Marketing

2 points to this:

I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I am certainly not. And I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

And secondly, I meet a lot of people and I'm convinced that the vast majority of wrong-thinking people are right.

I believe Disneys biggest marketing problem come with teenagers and young adults. I'm a teenager and I love going to the parks but if talk to a number of others they "oh disney is for little kids and stuff like that" but really its better than going to like six flags or something. I've always loved going to the parks from an early age and still do.

In order for a survey to be scientific, a thorough explanation of the sampling methodology, demographics of selected sample, breakdown of the obtained results and a copy of the survey. The same questions should be asked to each of the individuals sampled and, in this case, a variety of samples selected. There is no disrespect intended here, but sampling only individuals in a trailer park qualifies as a cross-section of potential visitors to Disney. There are so many things that invalidate the results of survey that it does not present a true picture of what America really knows (or does not know) about Disney.

~Disney is wise to shy away from marketing their resorts. They're nice, but not for the price -- offsite hotels blow them away when compared dollar for dollar, imo.

Well, I am a marketing person, in marketing, and I'll tell you why that commercial works.

It appeals to the heartstrings of moms. Who in turn, by the vast majority, plan and budget for vacations that give experiences to their children. It's a simple yet powerful demographic to hit (and I do it.) The dads, in turn, say "hey, a package" and even though it may not be a "deal" to us, who know better, it is a one-stop shopping trip.

Their little girl/boy, running up to something they have only heard about in dreams. The camera angle shoots up at them, like they are growing (and almost out of the house.) Soft focus, sentimental, classic, "you too need to give your child, and yourself, these memories."

They aren't selling a vacation. They are selling memories. And as a fanatic, my memories get added to and updated every time I go. But again, as a marketing director, I know what they are selling me. And I happily buy. :rotfl:

Well, I am a marketing person, in marketing, and I'll tell you why that commercial works.

It appeals to the heartstrings of moms. Who in turn, by the vast majority, plan and budget for vacations that give experiences to their children. It's a simple yet powerful demographic to hit (and I do it.) The dads, in turn, say "hey, a package" and even though it may not be a "deal" to us, who know better, it is a one-stop shopping trip.

Their little girl/boy, running up to something they have only heard about in dreams. The camera angle shoots up at them, like they are growing (and almost out of the house.) Soft focus, sentimental, classic, "you too need to give your child, and yourself, these memories."

They aren't selling a vacation. They are selling memories. And as a fanatic, my memories get added to and updated every time I go. But again, as a marketing director, I know what they are selling me. And I happily buy. :rotfl:

Very true! My boys are going to be 11 and 14 when we go this summer. I remember taking them there as babies! We have the memories of my oldest being speechless the first time he saw Buzz in person! Chip and Dale made my youngest cry whenever he saw them (don't know why!). They love looking at the pics and love planning the next trip! You are right that it is all about memories!pixiedust:

Thanks Bob for the commercials. I forgot about Mickey being up so high :) I remember getting excited just watching that one when I was 10.

The reality is that WDW advertising seems to be half heartedly done just because they feel some obligation to make a show of it.

I rarely ever saw a commercial when i was a kid...and still see relatively few today.

But everybody knows damn well its there and its waiting for them.

The reality is that WDW is such a unique arrangement and they put so much work/ time/ money into it over the last 40 years (really, if you think about it they have spent what amounts to a small state's budget worth over time) that the marketing doesn't matter.

If they built it...they will come...

and they have. EPCOT alone was a construction project that will never be duplicated, adjusted for inflation, by a private entity. Nor would the initial ground work, site prep, dredging, infrastructure.

Will not happen again...even the Disney Chinese projects or Euro fail to really meet what they did in the US in Florida.

There are books written on this...quite a few in fact.

I just have to say that every time I see a Disney World commercial, I get teary-eyed because I love this place so darn much. I've been going there since the age of three years old where I rode my very first roller coaster (Thunder Mountain) and I love it even more now and can't wait to take my kids when my husband and I have them. They are marketing memories and what's more important than that? People see the commercial, go to Disney World's website to find out more and that's where everything is for them to see.

I do see your point, Bob. I truly do, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. I go to Disney for the memories. Yeah, I stay on site because I like to be spoiled (EMH, ME, ect...). But, honestly, I'd still go to Disney even if they didn't have their resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter