Walt Disney world cabins

Laura&Aaron

Earning My Ears
Has anybody here ever stayed in the cabins? If so could you pass on any information you can about your experience?

Fort Wilderness.. the cabins at Copper Creek are absolutely beautiful but I'm unfamiliar with the Fort Wilderness cabins.

We have stayed in the Fort Wilderness Cabins and absolutely loved them.

Perfect for a family with younger kids. There are two separate sleeping areas. There is a bedroom with a queen bed and set of bunks. There is a fold out couch in the living room. We liked the old murphy bed better but but the fold out couch is fine.

Pretty much a full kitchen with full sized refrigerator so perfect for cooking or packing meals if that is your thing.

Our cabin had a nice size deck with a rocking chair and a picnic table. We also had a mounted BBQ grill at our cabin both times. The deck railing was perfect for hanging wet towels. Your parking spot is your driveways which is literally 10 feet from your front door which can be really nice if you have a car.

They do offer bus service throughout the campground but if you don't drive yourself you will usually have to take two modes of transportation to get to any parks.

There is not a ton of traditional Disney theming but we think Fort Wilderness is one of the most family friendly resorts on property with so many activities for kids and some peace and quiet for parents.

Anything else you want to know?

We have stayed in the Fort Wilderness Cabins and absolutely loved them.

Perfect for a family with younger kids. There are two separate sleeping areas. There is a bedroom with a queen bed and set of bunks. There is a fold out couch in the living room. We liked the old murphy bed better but but the fold out couch is fine.

Pretty much a full kitchen with full sized refrigerator so perfect for cooking or packing meals if that is your thing.

Our cabin had a nice size deck with a rocking chair and a picnic table. We also had a mounted BBQ grill at our cabin both times. The deck railing was perfect for hanging wet towels. Your parking spot is your driveways which is literally 10 feet from your front door which can be really nice if you have a car.

They do offer bus service throughout the campground but if you don't drive yourself you will usually have to take two modes of transportation to get to any parks.

There is not a ton of traditional Disney theming but we think Fort Wilderness is one of the most family friendly resorts on property with so many activities for kids and some peace and quiet for parents.

Anything else you want to know?
Is it costly to rent a golf cart to get around?

We stayed and likely will not return. The cabin itself was great with young children, giving them space to move about and not bother anyone. With bigger kids I find the sleeping surface of the bunks too small. Having a kitchen is great, if you are going to cook. If you are a full house (6) the one bathroom all contained in one room was tough. It was great to park at our cabin - good thing because other than MK we ended up driving to all the other parks. The transportation system is awful. After dealing with walking to the bus stop and taking a bus (usually standing) to the dock, then waiting for and taking the slow boat to MK ... we didn't even try to do anything else in the campground. I had no interest in riding buses just to get to some food or main pool. If I'm going to pay hundred of dollars I want to be in a hotel/resort where I can walk for snacks, meals, drinks, coffee, swim, activities and easy transportation to parks.

I think it is a spectacular campground for campers (we have visited family many times at their RV) .... but for renting a suite (cabin) I'd rather be in a hotel/resort. It really is up to YOUR expectations and priorities for a visit. It might be your cup of tea, wasn't ours.

The cabins pack a lot into a small space. The main bed feels smaller than a queen, and the bunk beds are slightly smaller than twins. The living room has a pull out couch which isn't bad, plus the large TV and kitchen area. They are definitely larger than a standard room but can feel cramped if you have more than 4 adults.

When it comes to transportation, Ft. Wilderness is pretty bad if you don't have a car. You can rent a golf cart or ride your bike to the main bus station, but you really should have a car if you're staying there. If you don't have at least one full resort day, I don't think it's worth it. I would recommend other family suites or DVC if you need space for 6 people.

Just a note, you can't park at many places around the campground itself. So if you want to go to the pool or pick up quick service food, you need to take the internal busses or get a golf cart.

We LOVE staying in the cabins, and I love Fort Wilderness in general. We bring our dog and rent a golf cart, which my son adores. I think it's best if you can drive to the Fort so you can bring food, or if you're local and do a staycation.

Last edited:
Just a note with the most recent the perviouls oven was removed and now there is a just a 2 burner cooktop and an overhead microwave / convection oven. Also there is a 4 slot toaster.

Also the bathroom is quite small with very little storage space as the hot water heater is also in the bathroom.

As other's have indicated the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness are dog friendly.

Dave

I stayed there couple of years ago for a short trip. Like others said, the space and kitchen were major pluses. It was nice to bring some bagels and eggs to the cabin to make breakfast ourselves before going out to the parks. I went with my whole family and my dad is an early riser, and I know he really enjoyed sitting on the patio in the morning with a cup of coffee and a newspaper. The downsides, like others have said, is that the space is better than a standard hotel room but can start to feel really cramped with multiple adults, and the internal buses are annoying. Also, the cabins are really just mobile homes with wood paneling. We didn't have any storms roll in while we stayed, and I'm sure they are all safe and fine, but they still wouldn't be my preferred place to stay during a bad storm.

If I ever stayed there again, I think it would be on a more resort heavy trip. You can definitely spend a few days just at Ft Wilderness doing all the outdoor activities. But if you are the kind of person who is at the parks all day it didn't really feel worth it because just getting out the door and to a bus to a park is a whole experience. You can park a car at the cabin, so you do save yourself a lot of trouble if you plan on driving to the parks yourself.

On thing of note that I don't see mentioned a lot about the cabins is that, at least in the cabin we stayed at, the bathtub had a really high ledge. As a shorter person I really had to swing my leg over and almost jump out of the shower, which can of course be dangerous. It wasn't as easy as just stepping out. So if you are traveling with kids, shorter adults, or people with mobility issues it may be something worth considering.

There’s a couple of great you tube videos that take you around the whole place

Also, the cabins are really just mobile homes with wood paneling. We didn't have any storms roll in while we stayed, and I'm sure they are all safe and fine, but they still wouldn't be my preferred place to stay during a bad storm.
They actually "Modular" buildings and are all cable grounded but in case of a Hurricane projected path in the area all of Ft. Wilderness will be evacuated due to the heavy tree coverage. You would be relocated to another Disney resort.

Dave

Is it costly to rent a golf cart to get around?

We have never rented a golf cart. Really didn't feel like we needed one. Every time we walked down the bus stop at the end of our loop there was a bus within 5-10 minutes to take us where we wanted to go. I would say golf cart is not at all needed. More of a luxury item or a fun item if you want more freedom to explore the campground. Bikes would work really good for this too if you are able to take them...

We stayed and likely will not return. The cabin itself was great with young children, giving them space to move about and not bother anyone. With bigger kids I find the sleeping surface of the bunks too small. Having a kitchen is great, if you are going to cook. If you are a full house (6) the one bathroom all contained in one room was tough. It was great to park at our cabin - good thing because other than MK we ended up driving to all the other parks. The transportation system is awful. After dealing with walking to the bus stop and taking a bus (usually standing) to the dock, then waiting for and taking the slow boat to MK ... we didn't even try to do anything else in the campground. I had no interest in riding buses just to get to some food or main pool. If I'm going to pay hundred of dollars I want to be in a hotel/resort where I can walk for snacks, meals, drinks, coffee, swim, activities and easy transportation to parks.

I think it is a spectacular campground for campers (we have visited family many times at their RV) .... but for renting a suite (cabin) I'd rather be in a hotel/resort. It really is up to YOUR expectations and priorities for a visit. It might be your cup of tea, wasn't ours.

Yeah - I think this is one of the many things with WDW where experiences and perspective will vary greatly from guest to guest. We absolutely love being able to take the boat taxi back and forth to MK area. So very peaceful, get to see some views you can't see any other way and we found the trip to be very quick. We found the boat to MK much more relaxing and enjoyable than the monorail. Also the boat launch at MK is a better location, IMO, than the bus stops from the other resorts.

We had read a lot of complaints from people on here about the FW internal bus system and were pleasantly surprised by how convenient and nice we found the FW internal busses.

Yeah - I think this is one of the many things with WDW where experiences and perspective will vary greatly from guest to guest. We absolutely love being able to take the boat taxi back and forth to MK area. So very peaceful, get to see some views you can't see any other way and we found the trip to be very quick. We found the boat to MK much more relaxing and enjoyable than the monorail. Also the boat launch at MK is a better location, IMO, than the bus stops from the other resorts.

We had read a lot of complaints from people on here about the FW internal bus system and were pleasantly surprised by how convenient and nice we found the FW internal busses.

I would say it is more that the style of resort is great for some people and not for others. I have family that love it there, they camp for a week in their RV, go to parks maybe two or three days, maybe a couple nice dinners at other resorts but otherwise they enjoy the campground. Most of them say a golf cart is necessary. I feel like you have to be chill and never on a hard schedule to be able to do it. There are tons of folks like this and it's a great fit.

While we are the folks that don't want an internal bus system, an hour commute to a park, no ability to walk for a quick snack or swim. My last ride from MK to FW via boat was a full hour from the time I arrived at MK dock to the FW dock. I mean I could have ridden ferry, walked to car, drove offsite, showered and been in bed before I got to the internal bus system. I'm not interested in standing on a bus after I've already ridden a bus or boat to get back to my loop and then walk. It was exhausting for us. For others the laid back would have been relaxing.

My only point in sharing our experience is I have seen those folks surprised to find out this isn't a resort with a walkable footprint and easy commute to parks or anywhere. It's not an inexpensive place to stay, but probably the nicest campground I've ever seen. The great thing about Disney is there are options for everybody, even if it is offsite. Coming here helps to find out all about different places, reviews and experiences, to see if it meets ones needs before they spend the big bucks.

Last edited:
I would say it is more that the style of resort is great for some people and not for others. I have family that love it there, they camp for a week in their RV, go to parks maybe two or three days, maybe a couple nice dinners at other resorts but otherwise they enjoy the campground. Most of them say a golf cart is necessary. I feel like you have to be chill and never on a hard schedule to be able to do it. There are tons of folks like this and it's a great fit.

While we are the folks that don't want an internal bus system, an hour commute to a park, no ability to walk for a quick snack or swim. My last ride from MK to FW via boat was a full hour from the time I arrived at MK dock to the FW dock. I mean I could have ridden ferry, walked to car, drove offsite, showered and been in bed before I got to the internal bus system. I'm not interested in standing on a bus after I've already ridden a bus or boat to get back to my loop and then walk. It was exhausting for us. For others the laid back would have been relaxing.

My only point in sharing our experience is I have seen those folks surprised to find out this isn't a resort with a walkable footprint and easy commute to parks or anywhere. It's not an inexpensive place to stay, but probably the nicest campground I've ever seen. The great thing about Disney is there are options for everybody, even if it is offsite. Coming here helps to find out all about different places, reviews and experiences, to see if it meets ones needs before they spend the big bucks.

Yeah - all very good points regarding the size of the resort. The scale is so much different than one of the values or a resort like Port Orleans FQ.

I do think it is worth pointing out some guests will have very different perspectives on the same resort because they had a completely different experience 1 day out of the year. We went into our first trip to Fort Wilderness expecting it to take 1.5 hours to get back and forth between our cabin and the parks but in two different 10 day trips to FW we were amazed at how quick and easy it was getting back and forth to MK on the boat. In our experience it was SO much more convenient than the trips we took on the big ferry from TTC. Basically we went in with really low expectations for travel and ended up having a really great experience which shaped our perspective on the resort.

Our first family trip we stayed at Pop Century. It was July and the parks were super crowded and we had a nightmare time with the buses. Long lines and long waits for park open and close. We loved the resort but I swore to my wife I would never stay there again because of the bus situation. We ended up going back a couple of times years later and I expected the bus situation to be terrible again. That later trip, we had zero problems with buses the entire time, my perspective on the resort completely changed and now it's my hands down favorite resort.

Staying at the Beach Club, it was so nice to just walk to International gateway and DHS but we found the buses to the other parks to be a horrible experience. We actually waited longer for a bus to MK and AK there than any other resort we had stayed at previously. I also hated that there were no roped queues for the busses there (or any other Deluxe I believe) and people would just kind of mill around until the bus came. We had a bad experience the first morning where we had morning ADR at MK, we were down at the bus stop plenty early. We were the first ones at the bus stop but it was almost 30 minutes until the bus came. We stood politely near the sign as more and more people came out including a very large family group that had two scooters and a bunch of kids. The bus pulled up about 5 feet short of where we though it would, the scooters were loaded and this massive group that had shown up 15 minutes after us all got on the bus ahead of us because there was no orderly line. We ended up having to wait for the next month and I was stressed that we may miss our ADR. This experience kind of ruined me on this resort and even though I loved the easy access to epcot my perspective of Beach Club will probably always be more negative than it should.

Similarly with the Grand Floridian, we were so excited to be in a monorail resort and expected and easy transit to MK. Instead we found the monorail to be EXTREMELY crowded in the morning and at park closing to the point where it made my wife feel anxious to be packed in so tight. Luckily our building was close to the water taxi launch and we ended up using that to go back and forth to MK the rest of the trip. We also found the buses to be terrible at Grand Floridian to be mostly awful due to lack of roped queue and also it just seemed like they don't send as many buses to the deluxe resorts in our experience.

Anyway, long winded journey to say that we have found that resorts we thought would fit our style ended up not fitting as well as we expected and other resorts that we had low expectations we ended up with great experiences. I have come to realize, with my experience at Pop Century, that one bad experience can completely taint how we view a resort. I'm glad I gave that one a second chance. Still debating if I will give GF and BC a second chance...

One last thing to add: Port Orleans Riverside might be the best blend of size and convenience we have found at WDW. Pretty easy walk to dining and transportation. Transportation was great when we stayed at POR. The grounds and dining options, in our opinion, were almost on the level of the deluxe resorts but obviously there is a pretty sizable cost difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!