Walking in Disney

I seem to average about 8 miles a day when I'm with my dad, but when I'm by myself I definitely walk much more! My dad isn't big, but he does like to get on the treadmill and walk to help condition for the trip a little!

As others said, it's a ton of walking. Do the best you can to get in the best shape you can. I know my opinion may be different than others, but taking a 2 mile walk every day for a month before your trip will be of very little benefit...IMO most of the benefit you'd get from that is a placebo effect. When you take a 2 mile walk, it'll take you anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on your pace. That's not at all how WDW is. You'll walk 5, 6, 7 miles over the course of 4, 5, 7+ hours. A lot of that time you may be standing as well. So they're really not comparable. Don't get me wrong, taking a walk is never a bad thing, but it's really not going to do a ton for you when preparing for WDW.

I have to disagree with this. As a Pooh sized person myself, and someone who visits the world often, I can tell a Hugh difference between trips where I have prepared myself by walking a few times a week to when I have not. Even just walking 30-40minutes three times a week go a long ways to prepare my body for what is to come. My body is still tired at the end of the day, and my feet hurt, but I am in much better shape when I have worked up to it. And we tend to average 7-12 mikes a day in WDW.

I would recommend that you have a few pair of shoes to help your feet. We also like to do one down day for every two in the parks. It gives our bodies time to recuperate and we end up having a better trip.

I agree that what you wear on your feet can make a huge difference. I just returned from San Francisco and did a lot of walking. One day I wore my New Balance sneakers and my feet were killing me by the end of the day. Luckily I also brought my GoWalks, wore them the next day and did much better walking further and less arch pain. GoWalks have consistently been better on my feet and legs and I will never go to Disney without them.
After years of issues with my feet at Disney I discovered GoWalks and what a difference!! I never have any problems with my feet anymore and I can walk much longer without getting tired. Plus so many people have approached me and said they have the same sneakers and how great they are. I have several different pairs and I won't wear anything else anymore.

We did about 7-10 miles a day, but that does depend on where you are and if you are looking to cram everything you can into that one day. If you take it easy and take breaks, you can handle the walking. I'm a big girl too so I make sure to wear very comfortable, broken in shoes that have a good foam insole and I try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row. I also make sure to wear kinesiology tape on my bad knee so that I don't risk injury when I feel fatigued.
If you are taking a park bag, pack only the essentials so that the bag doesn't weigh so much, which will only add to your discomfort at end of day.
And yes, everything Dole Whip is amazing!!!:love:

if you don't want a fitbit how can you track your steps/miles? i do have an iphone. also, are gowalks ok for someone with plantar fascitis.

Walking a few miles a day a month prior is definitely going to offer some benefit, perhaps not the overall cardiovascular endurance required for going commando! But it will serve the following:

1. Allow your feet especially to develop callouses in the pressure points that are only exposed in prolonged activity. Something a walk around the mall would not highlight.
2. It builds local muscular endurance for repetitive strain exercises, such as being on your feet for prolonged periods aswell as the lower extremities.
3. It will also raise and boost your metabolism a little to help with your energy production and regulation
4. It will help stabilize and regulate blood sugar to some degree depending on your current physical health and medical condition.
5. It will help raise your anaerobic threshold depending on what your starting base line of fitness is.
6. It will also help you figure out which shoes are comfortable over a prolonged period, it isn't always the ones you think / expect.
7. It will also prep the body for recovery cycles, both physiological and psychological.

All of these are beneficial on a sliding scale relative to where you start.

To get the maximum out of the workout, you could introduce the principle of 'progressive overload' by which you walk a little bit further when you are comfortable, after say 3-4 days. This incremental increase will allow the body to continue to push itself while working towards your intended goal.

My family and I average around 10-15 miles or so a day depending on plans etc... Wearing comfy shoes that you know will not give you pressure sores or blisters is a must. I rock Nike Air Pegasus Zoom, and will be going with Adidas Ultra Boost ST's this time, both of which are running shoes to provide stability, comfort as well as being moderately light.

My pedometer shows an avg of 12 miles a day. We don't prepare for it. We are also bigger folks, and older folks too.
Never really seemed to be a huge issue though. Yes, our feet are beat each day but we recover each night and are ready to go the next day.
Good shoes are a must. As are rotating shoes. That's my trick.

Yes! This. Rotating shoes helps a ton. I usually rotate between tennies and sandals, so my feet can get a breather every other day.

Our trip in April we averaged probably about 10 miles/day, I think we had a couple of 12 mile days in there, and of course less on our HS day. I am by no means fit - I don't work out, and didn't do anything to "prepare" for the trip. It probably would help as people have mentioned, but I don't have any problems with the walking - it's a different kind of walking. It's not like you're walking a mile at a time, you walk from one attraction to the next. With wait time, ride time, possibly sitting, possibly longer for a show, in between the walking. So it's very doable. And the beauty of it is - if you're feeling tired, you have plenty of options!! Grab a snack, do a show, sit on a bench and people watch for awhile, it's all still a great way to experience Disney!!

We averaged 10 a day and we did that for two weeks, which was exhausting to be honest. Completely agree that it's the standing that kills you so I would just sit on the floor sometimes even if only children seemed to do that. I so didn't care. I also noticed that if we did a long lunch break properly sitting in AC, I'd feel like a new person afterwards and we could definitely feel the difference between a 10-mile day with a QS lunch and a 10-mile day with a TS lunch.

just went out and bought my new sketchers gowalks 4 memory foams. two pairs. the other pair was some other kind idk. thanks, i hope they work out. how long do you usually hang onto them for before tossing?

I never toss mine since I never wear any 1 pair long enough to wear them out. I have waaaaaay too many shoes ;)

My Skechers Go Walks have gotten me through 3 WDW trips with multiple park days, averaging 8-10 miles per day. I also wear them a ton when I'm at home. But they're just now due for replacement.

Last time we went my Apple Watch told me we walked over 10 miles each day.

Been here for 4 days and the family and I are averaging just under 12 miles a day, although yesterday was a beast lol....

Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)

5-7 Miles a day. If you are doing EPCOT or park hopping 8-12

Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)

We just returned from 8-day DW visit, Aug 1-8. We did 56 miles in 8 days, 126,000 steps. Highest day was 9.5 miles (EPCOT), lowest was Animal Kingdom at 5. We stay at Shades of Green, that hotel comes with inherent "built-in" walking i.e. having to walk to Poly to catch the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter