Walking in Disney

I agree that what you wear on your feet can make a huge difference. I just returned from San Francisco and did a lot of walking. One day I wore my New Balance sneakers and my feet were killing me by the end of the day. Luckily I also brought my GoWalks, wore them the next day and did much better walking further and less arch pain. GoWalks have consistently been better on my feet and legs and I will never go to Disney without them.

Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)
My pedometer shows an avg of 12 miles a day. We don't prepare for it. We are also bigger folks, and older folks too.
Never really seemed to be a huge issue though. Yes, our feet are beat each day but we recover each night and are ready to go the next day.
Good shoes are a must. As are rotating shoes. That's my trick.

We do somewhere between 7 and 10 miles a day on average. But it's not all at once. For me, the walking isn't really the issue. It's the standing. If I'm in lines that slowly move I'm fine. But if I get stuck in something like Soarin' that can sometimes have long stretches of not moving in between shuffling forward, that can really mess me up. I don't do much to prepare for the walking and that part is fine. But I think I may need to do something to be better equipped to handle the standing.
Exactly! Standing is the worse.
This is why, a lot of times, if I have a choice of waiting for a boat at HS or walking to Epcot, I'll walk. Especially if a boat is just leaving.
I can wait, standing, for 15 or so minutes for a boat, then ride for 20 minutes and reach Epcot or I can walk for 15 or so mintues and reach Epcot. Me, I find walking much easier on my feet than standing, even though it means more steps. Yes, even in the heat.

Same for the lines. One of the best things about the FoP line design is they built is so long. You are in constant motion for the most part. Very little standing. So yeah, it's a long line, usually a couple of hours but it's not normally 2 hours standing. The queue holds almost 2 hours worth of people so you can be in slow movement the entire time.

As PP said, shoes can make the biggest difference for standing. And this is where I find changing out shoes every day help me out. Refreshes my feet.

One tip I tried one trip was a soaking tub for my feet. It was when I was at my heaviest. I found a collapsible tub (like for dishes) and bought a bag of Epsom salts. DH and I soaked our feet in them each night. We were staying at AKL that trip so it was nice to sit and watch the critters as we soaked our feet and enjoyed a beer. I haven't done that on other trips but it does help.

Hey y’all, so I’m a bigger girl. Today We took my daughter to a museum. On my Fitbit it said we walk a little over 2 miles. I know this sounds awful but I’m exhausted!!! I was wondering how many miles people normally walk at Disney and how do you prepare for it. Thank you!!!! (If this is the wrong spot I’m sorry)
The last time I was at the parks I walked 15 miles! Go for walks everyday and condition yourself. Disney is a real workout!

I'm not young any more but don't do anything extra to prepare. To be honest, I work out at least 3 days a week anyway and even when at WDW do a morning walk, at least 1/2 hour, around the resort at least 3 times a week as well. You aren't walking the entire time, you are going to be standing (and I agree that is the worst for your feet and back) and depending on what time of year you go, the heat can be a killer. I always soak in a hot bath at night and usually go to the hot tub at the resort just about every day as well. We don't spend our entire time there running from ride to ride, we like to take our time, walk slow and actually take in all the details. We often get something to drink and just sit and soak it all in.

My pedometer shows an avg of 12 miles a day. We don't prepare for it. We are also bigger folks, and older folks too.
Never really seemed to be a huge issue though. Yes, our feet are beat each day but we recover each night and are ready to go the next day.
Good shoes are a must. As are rotating shoes. That's my trick.

That's my trick too! Switching it up with different shoes help avoid blisters because you are not always rubbing your foot on the shoe straps in the same place.

My other tip, don't forget about the indoor seated shows! You don't get as tired if every couple of hours you sit down for 20 minutes in the AC to watch the tiki room show, country bears, or carousel of progress.

That's my trick too! Switching it up with different shoes help avoid blisters because you are not always rubbing your foot on the shoe straps in the same place.

My other tip, don't forget about the indoor seated shows! You don't get as tired if every couple of hours you sit down for 20 minutes in the AC to watch the tiki room show, country bears, or carousel of progress.
Yep, another benefit of varying shoes. Plus, I bring along moleskin, just in case. I am addicted to my monthly pedicures and I try to not go within a week of a trip but sometimes my scheduling doesn't allow the adjustment. Every once in a while a recent callous removal and a Disney trip can result in a new blister. Moleskin is a permanent resident in my suitcase. I have tried the blister bandaids but prefer moleskin. Ballerinas have used it for decades for a reason.

We typically walk 5 - 10 miles a day. On our last trip, we had a couple of days close to 12 miles but the other 5 days were closer to the 10 mile mark.

I don't take any fancy walking shoe. I have just my Vans. Depending on the humidity for that day, I will either use an anti-chafing lotion or cotton boxers.

Just checked my iPhone stats. During my most recent week-long trip we walked between 1.5 (pool day) and 5.5 (Epcot day) miles a day. Usually around 4 miles a day. Phew!

We usually walk between 5 - 15 miles a day depending on what we are doing. The biggest things that help me prepare are trying to walk as many days a week as I can leading up to my vacation and trying to increase my distance each week. I try and build myself up to walking 4-5 miles a day at moderately fast pace. I also make sure that all of the shoes I take are comfortable, well broken in, and that I have more than one pair to rotate.

Moleskin is also a must in case you get a pesky blister from all the walking.

I live for walking and I averaged 10 to 12 miles day. You can do this just start on with you fitbit (your best friend) and start with a very modest 2000 steps a day and never decrease any day just add to your total week by week. I know this works because in the last 2 years I have walked 170 pounds off my frame and am almost back to my Marine weight.

170 lbs? Congrats. You lost a human! That's a great accomplishment.

That's what my doctor says and I am almost to my Marine weight.

One of my best friends recently hit a weight loss of my weight (she lost a ME!) and she was so excited...so was I for her. We're celebrating next weekend. Great job and keep it up!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter