Walking from OKW to Epcot?

happyrebster

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Hey fellow DISers:

Hope you all had a great weekend!

I am curious to know: have any of you ever walked from OKW to Epcot? Looks reasonably easy on the map, but that could be deceptive. How far is it? A mile or two? If anyone knows, please drop a line. Thanks!

Probably not as easy as it looks if you are guessing a mile or 2--keep in mind EPCOT is the LARGEST theme park and you will have plenty of walking to do all day long.

One of the biggest problems with walking from OKW to Epcot would be the lack of sidewalks. The Disney roads get very busy, and people fly down them. I really wouldn't recommend it... (especially at night!!) but if you do , please be VERY careful!

IIRC, the drive to Epcot from OKW is not bad at all, but I'm guessing it would take the better part of an hour to do it. After all, it takes a good 15-20 minutes from BWI to MGM. You would save time by using the Disney transportation.

I wouldn't walk it day or night. Very dangerous traffic. Take the Disney bus.

Disney Security will stop you if you are walking on the roadways. It's a quick bus ride but a pretty hairy walk on 4 lane highways.

Fair enough. Thanks all! Good to hear that Disney is looking out for everyone's safety. Would be great, though, if they would build some sidewalks for us walkers! Including, perhaps, maybe a footbridge over the highway. Would be a nice change, every once in a while, for folks who eventually develop "bus burnout" over the week.

IIRC, the drive to Epcot from OKW is not bad at all, but I'm guessing it would take the better part of an hour to do it.

You're kidding, right? They're practically next to each other.

Originally posted by TDC Nala
You're kidding, right? They're practically next to each other.
I'm thinking it was a typo and he meant to walk from OKW to Epcot since he was comparing it to walking from BWI to MGM taking 20 minutes.

To drive from OKW to Epcot is probably between 5 and 10 minutes, depending on traffic and traffic lights, and whether you're parked at South Point or near HH. This doesn't include time to park the car and walk or tram to the park's entrance.

Nevertheless, walking from OKW to Epcot is not practical.

Perhaps a walkway /bike path to Epcot would be another nice addition to the older OKW resort to follow the new slide. It's nice to see improvements at any of the resorts.

Even though they look close on a map, the entrance to Epcot is via Route 536 (Epcot Center Drive), which is 3 lanes going about 50 miles an hour with no sidewalk.

Originally posted by happyrebster
Fair enough. Thanks all! Good to hear that Disney is looking out for everyone's safety. Would be great, though, if they would build some sidewalks for us walkers! Including, perhaps, maybe a footbridge over the highway. Would be a nice change, every once in a while, for folks who eventually develop "bus burnout" over the week.

Consider staying at BCV or BWV. You can easily and safely walk to either EPCOT or the Studios from those resorts. :teeth:

There are plenty of walking paths around OKW if you are just looking for a stroll, including one to Downtown Disney. Rest assured, there will be no shortage of walking opportunites, no matter where you stay! (You'll probbly be glad to see a bus at the end of your day). :D

If there is no walking path, you are not supposed to walk, period.

I'm a big fan of walking too. I actually timed myself walking from MGM to Epcot to see how fast I could walk it. But scores of people (if you, why not others?) walking along busy roads without sidewalks or crosswalks is a recipe for disaster.

If you look at an arial view, OKW is very near the Epcot parking lot. If you could fly over the small woods across from that intersection, it would be easy, but the roads are positioned to make Epcot feel like it is a long ways away from anything in "another world", so it is an ordeal to reach it unless you are staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club. I agree with taking the bus. It doesn't take long, and you will get LOTS of walking once you get there. If you need a walk from OKW, take the path to DTD when you go there.

When viewed on a map, Epcot is very close to OKW. However, the location of the entrances can make a big difference in just "how close". Prior to the International Gateway (and the building of Y&B), walking from the older Swan Dolphin wasn't possible.

If it were possible to enter Epcot near the Amercian pavilion, CBR guests could just cross the road and be in Epcot. (Distancewise, CBR is probably actually closer to Epcot than any other resort.) An entrance somewhere around China or Mexico would probably be most beneficial to OKW guests if we're talking "dreamworld". I don't think we'll be seeing a walking path anytime soon. It would be a pretty long hot walk in the summer.

when OKW was the only DVC resort - and had alot of runners - not like me - I can only do at the most 3 miles at one time - these people were during 15 miles or more daily.....

they asked - the response I heard is the area between OKW and EPcot - is a protected area?????

so no chance of a walking path or bridge in that area.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter