Walking at Mod Resorts

Swilcox

Mouseketeer
December 2017 we are taking a large family trip that will include my father. He has bit of trouble walking long distances (he has a bad knee.) Can anyone give me any advice on which mod resorts have the least amount of walking to and from transportation? We will be making accommodations inside the parks but we want to make things as easy on him as we can.

I meant to put this in the resort thread. Can someone please move it for me.

Many people may say to stay away from CSR, I think the opposite is true. While CSR is huge there are bus stops spread out around the resort, We always book into Castitas 4 or 5 - that allows us to use bus stop #1 that is right across the parking lot from us. I also only leaves us less than a 5 min walk to El Centro for food/giftshop/front desk. My father is the same way - have you considered also renting an ECV from one of the many 3rd party Vendors? Way cheaper than renting one from Disney in the parks, and if you have your own you can also use it to get around whatever resort you chose. If you use bus stop #1 that one is the first stop to pick up/drop off at the resort so it makes it a lot easier to load/unload an ECV. Also the El Centro bus stop is the last stop in the resort and if you try to board there you may be standing all the way to the park. Just depends on if someone is willing to give up their seat for your father if needed.

I would choose POFQ. This is the most compact resort with only 7 buildings. You can Request a building next to the food court and transportation.

You will probably get a lot of different responses, because everyone has had different experiences. But my suggestion would be that you look at Port Orleans French Quarter. It is (by far) the smallest moderate. Every building is just a few minutes from the bus stops, main building, pool, and boat dock.

Another suggestion is to definitely send a fax to the hotel about five days before you arrive. Politely let the room assigner know that a member of your party has mobility concerns, and ask to be assigned a first-floor room near the main building and transportation. We have done this several times (my husband is disabled) and have not yet been disappointed - although, of course, nothing is guaranteed. It makes a big difference. You can do this for any resort, so even if you end up somewhere larger and more spread out, you can mitigate the situation.

I would suggest either POFQ or booking preferred and requesting 1st floor at the other moderates. That is the only way to ensure less walking. The moderates do have multiple bus stops so you could get a room close to transportation but far away from the food court - so you will want to keep that in mind if you do not book preferred.

Do you plan on renting an EVC for the parks? If you rent from an offsite company you can have that to use at the resort and it could make things easier.

Since you probably are considering a wheelchair or EVC to be rented at the parks, you may have already considered this. If not, I would suggest considering renting from an outside vendor so you also have this available to use when outside the parks. The outside vendors usually have better options and at better rates. If you choose a Disney preferred vendor they will leave the device with bell service and when you leave you return it there.

I would say POR and request a preferred building like 14 which is minutes to the food court and gift shops, bus stops etc.

POFQ overall is shorter distance to bus stops etc. However there is no preferred rooms there. I know our river view room while lovely was further than our POR AB room, so I would say go with POR that way you know you are relatively close with the booked category.

I would also suggest POFQ. As others have mentioned, it is a nice and compact resort. We stayed there a couple of years ago with my MIL and I requested close to transportation and ground floor and we were in building 4 facing the food court. The walk to both the food court and the bus stop was about 2 minutes. It was perfect!

Be sure to have your father's knee issue posted on your reservation to help ensure you get a room with less walking, elevator (POR mansions) or first floor.

POFQ is the smallest, followed by CSR, POR, and CBR. You can also book a preferred room (or BC at CSR) to guarantee a room close to check in, food, and busing.

I would vote for CSR (3rd biggest) with your request being "Close to Transportation" as no bus stop is too far from the closer rooms. While we think the walk to the main hub is not long, if he feels it is he can catch a bus whose last stop will be the main hub. Transportation here is very good to all the parks etc, and resort is centrally located so no long rides.

POFQ is the smallest but if you get one of the farther rooms, it can be a long walk since there is only one bus stop. There also is no Table Service, small Quick Service, many amenities are located at POR ... and with a large group going you really need to look at the pools/amenities to see what you are willing to give up.

POR is the second biggest. The AB rooms have no elevators so you would want to be in Mansions to guarantee he has an elevator. We find their bus stops a long walk to outside of parking lots unless you are in preferred (AB) or Royal Guest rooms, but to guarantee a Royal room closest to bridge go with river view. I would certainly study the maps/room categories to be familiar.

CBR is the largest, very spread out resort. The buildings have NO elevators anywhere. There are lots of bus stops so you should be able to get a room close to them BUT you may not be close to anything else unless you pay for preferred and you risk a second floor room.

Where ever you choose call and have them note a mobility/walking issue for your location, it can't hurt.

We stayed at csr last summer in ranchos room 7360. It is right behind the tree in the background. There is an elevator right around the corner from our room image.jpeg and it was literally :45 walk to the bus stop in the pic. I also have a :30 video showing the view from the room to the bus stop and where the elevator is. I can post it if you like just let me know.

POFQ building 4 is a great location. Include request to be close to main building food court & Transportation. We had a great room just across from this.

Our last moderate stay was in POR. I was recovering from knee surgery. We had a Royal Room booked and I faxed resort with request to be near the foot bridge. We had a great location in Oak Manor close to foot bridge and elevator.

With knee issues I packed ziplock bags and filled them with ice for my knee when we got back to room from the parks. It was helpful with the inflammation.

If the business class rooms at CSR aren't much more for the nights you're going I would book those rooms. They are night next to a bus stop and the lobby/ food court area. You also get a continental breakfast and snacks/ alcohol at night

I suggest getting an ecv for him from a third party and stay anywhere you want because he can ride. Pofq is tiny but rarely on the discount list.

POFQ building 4 is a great location. Include request to be close to main building food court & Transportation. We had a great room just across from this.

Our last moderate stay was in POR. I was recovering from knee surgery. We had a Royal Room booked and I faxed resort with request to be near the foot bridge. We had a great location in Oak Manor close to foot bridge and elevator.

With knee issues I packed ziplock bags and filled them with ice for my knee when we got back to room from the parks. It was helpful with the inflammation.

I have stayed at CSR and POFQ. I totally agree with Sue's above comments on POFQ. It's the smallest moderate resort and I loved it. During online checkin I asked for 'close to transportation' and got building 4 which is close to the bus stop and food court/lobby. CSR is beautiful but definitely more walking involved and 4 (I think) bus stops. You can be close to the bus stops though, but if you plan on going to the lobby/food area you can be in for a walk depending on your location. We were in Casitas 5, fairly close to a bus stop and the first stop on the return trip from the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter