Waiting to board our plane and....

IndyRnRfan

Never take a laxative and sleeping pill together
The airline just announced that a passenger has a severe peanut allergy and asked that people not eat anything with nuts while on the plane. Some people are put off by this. I'm torn. I don't want to have to make an emergency landing if they go into an allergic reaction or the person have an allergic reaction but I also feel that 180-190 people shouldn't be put off for one person. We have peanut m&m's but won't eat them out of courtesy and his/ her safety.

Last edited:
I agree that the majority of those on the flight should not be put out due to one passenger. There has got to be a better way to accommodate that need other than a last minute notice to fellow passengers, passengers who may have PB&J sandwiches or similar packed for their kids' lunches.

I agree that the majority of those on the flight should not be put out due to one passenger. There has got to be a better way to accommodate that need other than a last minute notice to fellow passengers, passengers who may have PB&J sandwiches or similar packed for their kids' lunches.
This is my big thing. I tend to bring food for alot of my flights because they may be long and have tight connections so it can be 7-8 hours where I don't have a chance for a real meal. If what I happened to bring that day had peanuts (alot of granola bars do) and I don't have other food I'm going to eat it. I'm not going hungry for hours. Unfortunately when looking at food that doesn't need any kind of refrigeration or ice but can be eatten easily on the go, nuts is one of the best choices.

The airline just announced that a passenger has a severe peanut allergy and asked that people not eat anything with nuts while on the plane. Some people are put off by this. I'm torn. I don't want to have to make an emergency landing if they go into an allergic reaction or the person have an allergic reaction but I also feel that 180-190 people shouldn't be put off for one person. We have peanut m&m's but won't eat them out of courtesy and his/ her safety.

I bet you would feel differently if it was your child with the severe allergy. How can you possibly be torn?

They do it for the safety of the passenger. No easier way to do it. They used to not serve peanut products in the passengers row, and the three rows forward and aft of him/her. Over time, they learned in tight quarters and recirculated air that the safest thing was to just not board any peanut products and kindly ask fellow passengers to refrain from eating them as well.

May it be the most convenient? No. Can it be a pain if you packed a peanut product? Sure. But in the scheme of life it's a small inconvenience to you, but potentially life saving for the passenger.

Don't sweat it and be thankful for not having that allergy. :)

I bet you would feel differently if it was your child with the severe allergy. How can you possibly be torn?
My son does have a severe allergy to most dogs and all cats. We had numerous occasions while out in public with people who have dogs with them(restaurants, movies, fairs, etc...). Never once would we think of telling them to please put your dog away or go somewhere else because our son is allergic to dogs. He has been hospitalized once because of it when younger. We decided to move our son, not the other way around.

We are thankful it isn't us but if it were, I'd probably drive rather than risking an allergic reaction.

Trust me, allergic people (or their parents) hate having to ask you to do this. It's not fun having to humble yourself in front of hundreds of people to keep your child safe, especially when people get so ticked off about it. I wouldn't ask if we had another way.

Thankfully, my dd wasn't airborn or contact allergic so we never had to make that sort of request. I feel badly for people who do. People can really be jerks.

My son does have a severe allergy to most dogs and all cats. We had numerous occasions while out in public with people who have dogs with them(restaurants, movies, fairs, etc...). Never once would we think of telling them to please put your dog away or go somewhere else because our son is allergic to dogs. He has been hospitalized once because of it when younger. We decided to move our son, not the other way around.
Where would you move your son inside an aircraft? Animals can fly in the cabin.

This is my big thing. I tend to bring food for alot of my flights because they may be long and have tight connections so it can be 7-8 hours where I don't have a chance for a real meal. If what I happened to bring that day had peanuts (alot of granola bars do) and I don't have other food I'm going to eat it. I'm not going hungry for hours. Unfortunately when looking at food that doesn't need any kind of refrigeration or ice but can be eatten easily on the go, nuts is one of the best choices.
How would you feel if the person had a serious reaction because you chose to ignore the request and eat your peanuts?

I would hope if someone had a life threatening peanut allergy, the airline would email those on the flight before hand so they can make arrangements. Telling people at the gate seems a bit too last minute to me.

What if someone just ate peanuts in the car on the way over? Works in a food factory where peanuts are on their clothes? An autistic child that is in an "only eat peanut butter" phase whose mother now can't take his food on the plane for a long flight/layover?

I would never risk my child's life by trusting 100+ strangers to abide. It would be one long car ride, or a no go.

They do it for the safety of the passenger. No easier way to do it. They used to not serve peanut products in the passengers row, and the three rows forward and aft of him/her. Over time, they learned in tight quarters and recirculated air that the safest thing was to just not board any peanut products and kindly ask fellow passengers to refrain from eating them as well.

May it be the most convenient? No. Can it be a pain if you packed a peanut product? Sure. But in the scheme of life it's a small inconvenience to you, but potentially life saving for the passenger.

Don't sweat it and be thankful for not having that allergy. :)

And my mother is diabetic and carries peanut butter crackers around with her to accommodate HER health needs. Why does one person's needs trump others?

Yes, there has to be another way to ensure that other passengers aren't put out. If one has a severe allergy that needs accommodation such as no nuts on the plane, then they need to alert the airline when making the ticket purchase and the airline needs to alert the fellow passengers- not day of, but in advance so they can plan their food needs accordingly. In the age of internet, there shouldn't be much of a problem making this a reality.

Here's the biggest issue.......what happens to that allergic person if they board, and sit in a seat previously occupied by a child that had a peanut butter sandwich? What happens if that child then rubbed his/her hands along the other seats/arms as they walked about? If an allergy is severe enough to ask that others don't eat peanut products, then the allergic person touching any of those surfaces and getting peanut oil on themselves is going to be an issue!!!! And we all know how well those planes are cleaned before each flight!!!!

I flew with my ds's cat once. I fully realize that some people have allergies to cat dander...and that the dander is really going to be an issue with the cat being upset. So, I chose a seat way at the back of the plane, with very few people around.....I was able to check it frequently to keep tabs on it. But, the morning of my travel day, I noticed that the seats around me had been taken. When I got to the gate, I asked to change my seat to an area with few others seated. The agent gave me a really snotty look and asked if I had an issue with other people!!! Seriously? No, I had a cat and didn't want to negatively impact anyone else!!! It wasn't as if I was trying to get the first row on the plane. She was able to put me in the next to the last row, with no one in my row, or behind me, or across from me! But, there was a couple seated in front of me. I asked if the cat would be an issue. Thankfully they said no!
My point is that if you seat an allergic person, you can ask those around the allergic person to not eat any peanut products. That is very fair. Some have said the the ventilation system will carry it around the plane. But, not if it's not airborne. A peanut butter sandwich, eaten 8 rows back, shouldn't bother anyone. If someone is that allergic, then perhaps a very good face mask is in order.

I'm not saying that measures shouldn't be taken to make sure every passenger is safe, but to put out 150+ people isn't right or fair. Maybe it's time to put a peanut free zone in each plane. Put it in the rear of the plane. Nobody in that area is allowed to eat peanut. And no one is going to falsely say they have an allergy in order to sit there.....not in the back of the plane!

And my mother is diabetic and carries peanut butter crackers around with her to accommodate HER health needs. Why does one person's needs trump others?

Yes, there has to be another way to ensure that other passengers aren't put out. If one has a severe allergy that needs accommodation such as no nuts on the plane, then they need to alert the airline when making the ticket purchase and the airline needs to alert the fellow passengers- not day of, but in advance so they can plan their food needs accordingly. In the age of internet, there shouldn't be much of a problem making this a reality.
There is literally nothing else your mother could ear aside from peanut butter crackers for her sugar needs? I know those little packages of crackers are convenient. We carry the cheese ones. But there's nothing that would work for her? Nothing?

All it takes is the oil to get in the aircon system. I completely understand them not selling or asking passengers not to consume nut products.

It's just not worth the hassle. I'd be so annoyed being diverted to Iceland, Canada or somewhere else on the East Coast due to someone nearly dying.

This announcement is more and more common. I don't find it to be a problem as my eating a peanut butter sandwich or some peanut M&Ms is not important enough to risk someone else's health over. If you're bringing food onto the flight, it's easy enough to bring something other than peanuts - a bagel or muffin, a salad, a grab and go sandwich from the airport etc.

In elementary school my DD had several classmates with severe nut allergies. There were a few parents who made a stink about not being able to send pb&j for lunches. I have to say I thought it was very selfish of them. Can you imagine sending your child off to school every day having to depend on other people following the rules in order for them to be safe? I am just grateful that DD doesn't have allergies!

We didn't fly when he was younger and the one time there was a dog, we asked if we could be put on another flight and they accommodated us.
What if there wasn't another flight? How much would you risk? That's where it gets tough. To me, your son's survival trumps my right to fly with my cat and that's how I think the hierarchy should go. Okay, could anyone die? They win. (That's tongue in cheek.)

In a perfect world, I agree that the airline should email passengers if someone with a known, serious allergy is flying so other passengers can make other arrangements (not brining peanuts on board, for instance). However, as we all know 1) in the hunt for cut rate airfare we give up amenities and the above costs money and 2) last minute flight changes happen and then you're in the same situation.

If I, or my child, was that allergic, I don't think I would risk death by flying. How could I possibly feel right about making such demands of others? And how could I possibly be sure that everyone would comply with the request?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter