Waiting for DISNEYLAND HOTEL DVC Thread (see post 1 for updates)

Dear DVC,

Please give me an awesome point chart. Think SSR not Riviera (and don't even think about VGC). If so, I'll think about giving you lots of green Mc. Duck bucks for those things called points.

XOXOXO

NVDISFamily and @MrsNVDISFamily

PS @UrsulaWantsYourSoul is right. We need more 1, 2, and 3BR units :)
same. We own at SSR and love the point charts. I still do not think that the point charts should not be higher than VGC, but this is a new DVC then before

Riviera went on sale at the end of March 2019, and officially opened in December. If the tower opens next summer, would they potentially start selling this fall (nine months before)? I went back and looked up Riviera construction in March of 2019, and it looked very similar to what's being posted here.

Hi all - I'm not a DVC member. Live in Northern California, so get down to Disneyland once or twice a year and WDW maybe every three to four years? I haven't bought into DVC because it didn't make sense, but with the new tower, it might make sense now right?

I know the points chart and everything isn't out, but it sounds like maybe it will go on sale in the middle of 2023? What is a *guess* (just for order of magnitude) on how much it would cost to buy-in? I'm thinking for our family, we'd need at least the suite and more likely the 1-bedroom, and for maybe a week each year (split into two trips).

Just trying to figure out how many $$$ to start saving up now... I assume there's no "list" I should get on to get in a line for the opportunity? I asked at the DVC desk on the Wish last week and they said there wasn't.

Only other thing I'm worried about is we tend to plan our Disneyland vacations ~6 months out. Maybe a bit more. But I'm guessing with such a limited number of rooms in the tower, it won't survive the 7 month mark, and heck might even fill up right when the 11-month period opens? (If I understand DVC properly?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Hi all - I'm not a DVC member. Live in Northern California, so get down to Disneyland once or twice a year and WDW maybe every three to four years? I haven't bought into DVC because it didn't make sense, but with the new tower, it might make sense now right?

I know the points chart and everything isn't out, but it sounds like maybe it will go on sale in the middle of 2023? What is a *guess* (just for order of magnitude) on how much it would cost to buy-in? I'm thinking for our family, we'd need at least the suite and more likely the 1-bedroom, and for maybe a week each year (split into two trips).

Just trying to figure out how many $$$ to start saving up now... I assume there's no "list" I should get on to get in a line for the opportunity? I asked at the DVC desk on the Wish last week and they said there wasn't.

Only other thing I'm worried about is we tend to plan our Disneyland vacations ~6 months out. Maybe a bit more. But I'm guessing with such a limited number of rooms in the tower, it won't survive the 7 month mark, and heck might even fill up right when the 11-month period opens? (If I understand DVC properly?)

Like you'd imagine, it's all a guessing game at this point but...
My best guess is it will be the going rate for "actively on sale" properties like Riviera/Grand Flo/ Aulani which currently is $207/point but I'm betting will go up once before it goes on sale to probably $213-215/point. Then there will be some incentives to bring the price down (the more points you buy the better the incentives).
I'd take a look at point charts and make your best guess of how many points you think you'd like / can afford... and then add a few more. Tee hee. the minimum buy in for new owners will likely still be 150 points.
For comparison, I'd use the Riviera point chart:
https://cdn2.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...alog/resorts/dvc-resorts/RIV_2022_Revised.pdf
I could be lower (like the Copper Creek chart) but most don't think it will be as high as the Grand Cal chart.
Not really a list though of course any guide would love to claim you :-) .
It's great that you're a planner as "this is the way" for DVC :-). If Rivera is any indicator you are correct that the pod rooms for VDH will go very quickly. Due to the allocation of the other rooms, I would assume 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms will go pretty quickly since there are so few of them in the new tower. Deluxe studios make up the bulk and should be easy to get.

I echo what @UrsulaWantsYourSoul said 😊. Also, you’ll want to plan 11 months out in advance for this one, if it’s anything like VGC. If you are interested, you can call and ask to be assigned to a guide who can put you on an interest list.

Like you'd imagine, it's all a guessing game at this point but...
My best guess is it will be the going rate for "actively on sale" properties like Riviera/Grand Flo/ Aulani which currently is $207/point but I'm betting will go up once before it goes on sale to probably $213-215/point. Then there will be some incentives to bring the price down (the more points you buy the better the incentives).
I'd take a look at point charts and make your best guess of how many points you think you'd like / can afford... and then add a few more. Tee hee. the minimum buy in for new owners will likely still be 150 points.
For comparison, I'd use the Riviera point chart:
https://cdn2.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...alog/resorts/dvc-resorts/RIV_2022_Revised.pdf
I could be lower (like the Copper Creek chart) but most don't think it will be as high as the Grand Cal chart.
Not really a list though of course any guide would love to claim you :-) .
It's great that you're a planner as "this is the way" for DVC :-). If Rivera is any indicator you are correct that the pod rooms for VDH will go very quickly. Due to the allocation of the other rooms, I would assume 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms will go pretty quickly since there are so few of them in the new tower. Deluxe studios make up the bulk and should be easy to get.

Thanks so much for this, very helpful. I'm looking at the original pictures in the first post and I guess the "1 bedroom with lock-out" is actually a combination of two rooms?

But anyways, sounds like the "minimum" is 150 points and if it's $215/point, that's a $32,250 buy-in up-front?

Once you're an owner at this new DVC tower, are you allowed to buy more points later? Or do the total number of points allocated for the tower "run out" at some point and you can't buy more? I actually imagine I'd be happier at the 300 point level, where I could get a 1-bedroom or 2 bedroom villa for ~3 days twice a year. (Rough math). But then that's closer to $65K up-front, which is... fun. I suppose I could use the evil "financing" word, but I'd only do that if there wouldn't be an option to go back later and add the extra 150 points I'd want.

I echo what @UrsulaWantsYourSoul said 😊. Also, you’ll want to plan 11 months out in advance for this one, if it’s anything like VGC. If you are interested, you can call and ask to be assigned to a guide who can put you on an interest list.

Thanks. I asked at the DVC Desk on the Wish last week and they said someone would call me in a week. So I assume that's the "guide" you reference? If not, I guess I'll call them this week and get myself on this interest list. I just don't want to get to mid-2023 and find out that there's no way to buy in because hundreds of people are already on some secret list. :)

Thanks so much for this, very helpful. I'm looking at the original pictures in the first post and I guess the "1 bedroom with lock-out" is actually a combination of two rooms?

But anyways, sounds like the "minimum" is 150 points and if it's $215/point, that's a $32,250 buy-in up-front?

Once you're an owner at this new DVC tower, are you allowed to buy more points later? Or do the total number of points allocated for the tower "run out" at some point and you can't buy more? I actually imagine I'd be happier at the 300 point level, where I could get a 1-bedroom or 2 bedroom villa for ~3 days twice a year. (Rough math). But then that's closer to $65K up-front, which is... fun. I suppose I could use the evil "financing" word, but I'd only do that if there wouldn't be an option to go back later and add the extra 150 points I'd want.

Thanks. I asked at the DVC Desk on the Wish last week and they said someone would call me in a week. So I assume that's the "guide" you reference? If not, I guess I'll call them this week and get myself on this interest list. I just don't want to get to mid-2023 and find out that there's no way to buy in because hundreds of people are already on some secret list. :)

My assigned guide is from when I bought VGC points but there are several Disney guides so if you don’t hear from someone within the week, definitely follow up 😊. Also, once you buy points, you can add more points later for that home resort, assuming they aren’t sold out. I had been on the waitlist for VGC for a long time and when my guide finally called me, telling me points were available to purchase, he said they were no longer adding names to the waitlist since it was so long. I don’t know if that’s what will happen with the Disneyland Tower but it’s something to be aware of. Existing DVC members also get first dibs when a new resort becomes available.

Last edited:

While it's possible (since there is a supply shortage for DVC in Anaheim) that this could sell out quickly, most DVCs take a couple of years to do such (ok except Aulani which may never sell out - haha). Some things to keep in mind:
1) The incentives will actually be even better for current members so you could buy at a different property now so when tower comes online you get those current owner incentives.
2) You can buy any amount you want via resale so could go with a smaller contract like say 100 at Grand Cal.
3) When you add on, since you're already a member you don't have to add on 150+. The minimum is like 50 usually.
(though you know you're going to want more - haha).
4) If you buy over 200 points at any give time, I would suggest you split it into smaller contracts so you have an easy "exit strategy" if you decide later you want to sell off part of your points but not all of them. 100-200 point chunks are great... but it does mean for a second closing cost for the extra contract.
5) Just keep in mind if you do go the route of buying some resale points that you won't be able to use them at Riviera and likely at VDH and possibly the new Poly expansion / properties in the future.

No secret list to worry about - if you're ready and jump when it goes on sale (after the initial time that is only for current members), you'll be fine. And it won't be a secret about those timelines so if you're paying attention you'll be good to go. But yes having a guide to poke you (because they want your commission) works great too.

@UrsulaWantsYourSoul has already given you some great advice/tips. As someone who went from zero points to "a few" recently and also loves all things Disneyland Resort I also hope to give some tips about what you might look forward to -

https://dvctripplanner.com/ - This site isn't fool proof, but I've found it a good resource to map out trips and plan things forward for the coming years. I've thrown in your estimates of 300 points = about 6 nights in a 2BR and I agree that's a good estimate.

I'd guess that there will be "reasonable" new member pricing the first month this tower goes live somewhere in the 190 to 195 a point range. There are usually tier discounts at the 200 and 300 point level where the biggest jumps are (example for VGF2) -

1660623684241.png

If I had to gamble..... 300 points at 195 a point = 58,500 + about 2000 in closing costs and fees. Also add in 2,500 a year in dues (just to be on the safe side - 300 * 8.20 a point).

If you do desire to buy another resort at WDW, buying resale there to get you into the system would be a good idea. The best deals go to members (not sure why this is but it is the case).

Wish you the best of luck as you consider this journey. I'm not sure if I'll be buying VDH or just trying to ninja rooms there at 7 months. Just depends on how the finances look when that time comes.....

As someone who normally books 2 bedrooms at VGC, something that gives me hesitation and that you might want to consider is how few of the rooms at VDH will be anything other than studios. In other words, if you buy enough points for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom but can’t get one….I might consider starting with a smaller number to see what availability looks like.

Thank you all for the advice. I have to admit when I read Ursula's note that I was like "This is why I don't bother with DVC. Ugh." So many rules and tricks and all the sort. Especially for "buying" a property that isn't actually mine in perpetuity. (Granted, a few decades, but).

Especially when I'm fortunate enough to usually pay rack rate and call it a day... but the annoyance is that I want the nicer villa style rooms, and those are exorbitant for everyone not DVC. And haven't had any luck renting points, etc... maybe I'm not far enough out.

End of the day, maybe DVC isn't for me, especially when if all else fails, I just stay across Harbor Blvd and it's about the same distance and I can buy the double the square footage. Being immersed in the magic is super-nice, but when the DVC process is so cumbersome, not sure... (I'm just typing out loud here. LOL.)

Again, really appreciate all the thought.

Thank you all for the advice. I have to admit when I read Ursula's note that I was like "This is why I don't bother with DVC. Ugh." So many rules and tricks and all the sort. Especially for "buying" a property that isn't actually mine in perpetuity. (Granted, a few decades, but).

Especially when I'm fortunate enough to usually pay rack rate and call it a day... but the annoyance is that I want the nicer villa style rooms, and those are exorbitant for everyone not DVC. And haven't had any luck renting points, etc... maybe I'm not far enough out.

End of the day, maybe DVC isn't for me, especially when if all else fails, I just stay across Harbor Blvd and it's about the same distance and I can buy the double the square footage. Being immersed in the magic is super-nice, but when the DVC process is so cumbersome, not sure... (I'm just typing out loud here. LOL.)

Again, really appreciate all the thought.

My family purchased 150 points at VGC and we are now accustomed to 1 bedrooms, lol. So far, we’ve been able manage it. When we bought points, we ended up getting 150 points from the preceding year which has helped us do that. During our recent stay, we were able to get a 2 bedroom suite and invite my mom and my niece and nephew to join us. I wouldn’t have been able to do that but for DVC. Good luck with whatever decision you make - it’s not an easy one but for me and my family, we’ve had zero regrets. It would be difficult for us to stay off property now. We are able to quickly get back to the hotel in the afternoon and rest for a few hours before heading back into the parks for the evening and stay out longer. It’s a slower pace for us - when we stayed off property, we would stay all day in the parks because we didn’t want to walk back and forth to the hotel throughout the day and that meant we couldn’t stay up as late. I much prefer our stays now.

I’m following my own advice that I have given to others: figure out how many points you need — double it— double it again — come back in 5 years and complain that you didn’t buy enough points.

After having to burn 3 years of points in one year after VGC reopened from Covid I can confidently say…

WE DIDN’T BUY ENOUGH POINTS :earseek:

Patiently waiting for VDT to come on line.

What's the thought on current member minimum point buy... I'm hoping (and budgeting) to buy 75 points (at $250 a point which might be high) but it if the minimum is 100, that might take me out of this because I won't need that # of points.

What's the thought on current member minimum point buy... I'm hoping (and budgeting) to buy 75 points (at $250 a point which might be high) but it if the minimum is 100, that might take me out of this because I won't need that # of points.
Just speculating, but I think the minimum point purchase for current members will only be 25 or 50. Also, I think the cost per point will be in the $210 to $220 range (I hope).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter