Waiting for DISNEYLAND HOTEL DVC Thread (see post 1 for updates)

That would be astonishing as it’s bigger than the average deluxe studio at WDW.
Yea I need to double check my numbers. Also that’s the whole box including the bathroom and closet. I also came up with 220 ish square feet using another reference point.

Assuming the door is 36in, I'm getting 6.67ish doors deep (20ft) and 4.33ish doors wide (13ft) for a total of ~260sqft external size.

Wall thickness and irregular shaping will reduce that slightly.

If anyone has a better measurement of a hotel door, can easily adjust the numbers!

EDIT: a better way of measuring, still using the door.
36in door is illustrated with 43px. Exterior size of the room, in pixels, is 294x186. That's 6.84 doors by 4.33 doors, or ~266sqft exterior size.

Interior size is 275x182, or ~244sqft interior size, with additional, minor subtractions needed for irregularity.

EDIT2: assuming the dotted line (93px by 70px exterior, 92px by 69px when 'splitting' pixels) indicates an 80in x 60in queen size bed (with a zero-sized frame), then the exterior size of the room (again, 294x186px) is 255.65in by 161.74in, coming out to ~287sqft exterior size.

Same calculation, but interior size and we're at ~263sqft interior size.

Last edited:
Assuming the door is 36in, I'm getting 6.67ish doors deep (20ft) and 4.33ish doors wide (13ft) for a total of ~260sqft external size.

Wall thickness and irregular shaping will reduce that slightly.

If anyone has a better measurement of a hotel door, can easily adjust the numbers!

EDIT: a better way of measuring, still using the door.
36in door is illustrated with 43px. Exterior size of the room, in pixels, is 294x186. That's 6.84 doors by 4.33 doors, or ~266sqft external size.

Interior size is 275x182, or ~244sqft, with additional, minor subtractions needed for irregularity.
I had done my measurements using the original PDF that Disney provided to the Anaheim Zoning Board and the scale listed on the bottom of the room, which for about a year was posted on the City’s website.

I had done my measurements using the original PDF that Disney provided to the Anaheim Zoning Board and the scale listed on the bottom of the room, which for about a year was posted on the City’s website.
Assuming there was no resizing during PDF production (the pixel art is crisp, so it's a somewhat safe assumption) and the PDF is a kinda-standard 72ppi, that's 13.5px per foot, really close to the 14.33px/ft when using a 36in door or the 13.8px/ft when using the bed.

All really similar, and all, candidly, making assumptions :-) (and I get the same 275sqft interior size as what you said)

All of these are still bigger than the tower studio (220). I think it's the little hallway that might make the difference

Per the CBC, entry, interior passage, and communicating (between two connecting rooms) doors for non-mobility units within a hotel are required to be 32" in width (36" for mobility units). also, easy points to scale on a typical floor plan are bathtubs, which are typically 5' in length (but varying depth), and commercial interior demising walls that are usually drawn at 6" in width. Furniture, like beds, vanities, chairs, etc. aren't typically dimensionally accurate as they are simply pulled from image libraries and imported into the CAD file.

Looking at other floor plans from the materials provided to the city, it looks like the room entry doors and interior passage doors all scale out to the same width, which makes it highly likely they are all 32" (36" would be absolutely huge for a non-mobility toilet room door, for example). Caveat being these are floor plans provided to the planning department and not part of a dimensional drawing set for construction.

Or, you could just assume they are 36" and just reduce your calculations by 12%...LOL

Last edited:
Are there better solutions than SketchUp that are free or low cost to use for tinkering on things like this? The free web version doesn’t allow import of image files anymore like it did in the past.

Based on some of the additional info provided and getting some caffeine into my system I tried again from a different image and came up with 276 (ish) (13.32 * 20.78). Sounds like you all are more savvy with this than me. I just learned CAD on a kitchen design program but also dabble in SketchUp to help build projects for the backyard :)

Based on some of the additional info provided and getting some caffeine into my system I tried again from a different image and came up with 276 (ish) (13.32 * 20.78). Sounds like you all are more savvy with this than me. I just learned CAD on a kitchen design program but also dabble in SketchUp to help build projects for the backyard :)
You're WAY overthinking it. If you assume (for simplicity) that the entry door is 36" wide (3'), then simply blow up or reduce the image either on your computer screen or a printer, until the doorway measures 9/16" wide on any old ruler (3 x 3/16" = 1'-0"). Then, you can measure out the whole drawing and count one foot for every 3/16". If you decide the doorway was really only 32" wide, then simply reduce your totals by 12% (well, 11.2).

Keep in mind, when we build off architectural drawings, we're not measuring off the plans (at that scale, even the width of a pencil line on a plan could be several inches wide to scale). Even CAD drawings can't be accurately scaled as line weight varies depending on the function of the line. We read the dimensions provided by the drawing and scale it up to full-size using simple math. These aren't even dimensioned drawings.

Last edited:
You're WAY overthinking it. If you assume (for simplicity) that the entry door is 36" wide (3'), then simply blow up or reduce the image either on your computer screen or a printer, until the doorway measures 9/16" wide on any old ruler (3 x 3/16" = 1'-0"). Then, you can measure out the whole drawing and count one foot for every 3/16". If you decide the doorway was really only 32" wide, then simply reduce your totals by 12% (well, 11.2).

Keep in mind, when we build off architectural drawings, we're not measuring off the plans (at that scale, even the width of a pencil line on a plan could be several inches wide to scale). Even CAD drawings can't be accurately scaled as line weight varies depending on the function of the line. We read the dimensions provided by the drawing and scale it up to full-size using simple math. These aren't even dimensioned drawings.

I likely am doing it the hard way. They forced us to learn design with pencil and paper first but I just love using the toys/computers when I'm able to.

I just used the bed. Mapped out a box to a queen size using a 1 inch = 1 foot scale. Scaled the drawing of the room to sorta match my box, and then drew a big box over the entire room. Accuracy.... not great but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

I likely am doing it the hard way. They forced us to learn design with pencil and paper first but I just love using the toys/computers when I'm able to.

I just used the bed. Mapped out a box to a queen size using a 1 inch = 1 foot scale. Scaled the drawing of the room to sorta match my box, and then drew a big box over the entire room. Accuracy.... not great but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
Oh, there’s nothing wrong with how you’re approaching it, just more than the current task requires.

What you’re describing is actually sort of how we do plan takeoffs for estimating. Software like Protrends and Planswift basically do what you’re describing. The user imports the drawing, selects an element that is of known dimension, and the software then scales the whole drawing and allows the user to define sections of the drawing to calculate area and other quantities. For example, you click on four corners of a room and it fills in the square and calculates the square footage of the floor space, linear dimension of the perimeter, and if you know the wall height, the area of the walls and ceiling (mirrored floor area) as well. Same for roof area, exterior wall cladding, etc. The software will even account for roof pitch. We would do that by hand back in the day, but the software takes the laboring oar these days.

You still build to dimensions, not drawings (the plans are just a graphical representation), but to do quantity takeoffs for material and cost estimating, you’re basically doing it the right way. Just more work than needed (unless of course you enjoy it obviously) for the current task.

has anyone heard if there will be any new restaurants attached to this new tower? at least steakhouse 55 coming back?

has anyone heard if there will be any new restaurants attached to this new tower? at least steakhouse 55 coming back?

Ehhh, based on the location and how crowded it all looks over there now, I doubt they’ll have space for another restaurant. Hopefully Tangaroa Terrace will improve drastically - our past few experiences there have been rough. 🙃 And lacking fluffy pancakes! 🫠

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter