Visiting other islands - volcanos and observatories

Raya

DIS Veteran
We're planning a trip in May. In addition to all the resort stuff, snorkeling, dolphin watching trips, we'd like to see one of the active volcanoes and visit the observatory at night. Star gazing is a huge thrill for one family member, so at least one trip is mandatory. Is there a way to do those "other island" things without leaving Aluani? Are we better off doing those things before/after our stay?

The only active volcano that you can visit is on the Big Island, a 45 minute plane ride from Oahu (where Aulani is located). You can visit the volcano during the day and do a Mauna Kea star gazing tour at night. However, there's no way you'll be able to catch the last flight back to Oahu. Spend the night in Waikaloa and fly back from Kona the next morning.

Mauna Kea is a world class observatory. However, it is build on land that is sacred to Native Hawaiians and many Hawaii residents are protesting the erection of a new telescope. You might want to talk to the tour company to see if the tour is refundable if the protesters block the road (again) or if the situation escalates.

Visit the Big Island first. Visitors flying from Oahu to the outer islands must quarantine or get an exemption. Travelers flying from the Big Island to Oahu do not need to quarantine.

I am no help on the staying or going question but we did the Big Island back in 2003 and went out to where the lava was flowing into the ocean at the time. We went before sundown and it was a highlight of the trip. We regretted not going up to the observatory but once the sun went down you could see so many stars just from sea level. This was easily one of the best parts of our trip.

We regretted not going up to the observatory but once the sun went down you could see so many stars just from sea level. This was easily one of the best parts of our trip.

Is that also true for the beach by Aulani? Because being able to see the stars every night might mean we could skip the observatory....

I am not sure about Aulani - our first trip is in February. But we have been to Honolulu and I don't think the stars were as bright on Oahu as on the Big Island. But really - we haven't been in 17 years and I don't remember the other islands as well. I am sure we need to go back just to find this out.

They do a stargazing activity at Aulani, or at least they did before Covid. We didn’t do it, but I’m sure you could find reviews.

The stargazing activity at Aulani is fantastic--my family has done it twice. The astronomers who brought and set up the telescope equipment (different each time) were knowledgeable and personable. Both my wife and I work in the space industry, but they were able to speak to our level of knowledge as well as to our daughter's (without speaking down to her in any way).

While there is a huge observatory on Mauna Kea and a very sophisticated USAF optical station atop Haleakala, I don't think either one is open for tourists/amateur astronomers to use or even visit the facilities.

No Stargazing activity at Aulani currently due to COVID restrictions. We did have a very nice view of the "Christmas Star" convergence of Saturn & Jupiter, but only with the naked eye- no telescopes. There were some stars, but there is still a fair amount of light pollution at Aulani.

There were some stars, but there is still a fair amount of light pollution at Aulani.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. Compared to nights I worked atop Haleakala, yes Aulani has a fair amount of light pollution. But compared to living in coastal L.A. (where I live now), the naked-eye night sky at Aulani is a wonderland of celestial bodies!

The road to Mauna Kea is paved up to a ranger station, then becomes gravel up to the summit. They highly discourage driving on the gravel road without a 4-wheel drive vehicle because spin-out from 2-wheel drive vehicles produce ruts in the gravel road. I can be very cold and snowy (yes, it snows in Hawaii!) at the summit. Due to harsh conditions most astronomical equipment is controlled remotely.

Consider a drive across the Saddle Road with a view of Mauna Kea without attempting the summit.

Volcanic activity is very unpredictable, so it is unknown what will be visible when you visit. It could be nothing or a major eruption which would cause the airport to shutdown.

I'd suggest spending about 4-day on the Big Island to see Volcano National Park, various beaches and a view of Mauna Kea.

-Paul

I haven't been to the Big Island, but I've been researching it extensively for a trip there once traveling is safer.

Something to know about Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii is that after a lot of activity back in 2018 there is no more visible lava. In fact, a lot of the park is now off limits because of damage from the eruption. From what I can tell though, it's definitely worth visiting and there is still a ton to do! You can look into the lava craters, see a lava tube, see some steam vents, and lots of other cool stuff. Definitely a full day activity, and more if you are really into hiking. While it is disappointing that there currently isn't any lava, it's nature, you just got to roll with it. There is no predicting when lava will reemerge and when the volcano will become more active.

As for stargazing, I found Stargaze Hawaii that does stargazing at the beach level. They are currently doing it a few nights a week in the parking lot at the Westin Hapuna Beach. I'm sure there are a few other companies that do a similar thing. From what I've seen on their website and from reviews, you can see a lot from the beach level. As others said, you can probably do something similar at Aulani or throughout Oahu, but I've heard the Big Island is one of the best places to go stargazing, so if you make the trip out try to take a look.

Personally, I'm planning to do a split stay on the Big Island. I want to stay in a cheaper hotel the first half of the trip and do the more "active" things like Volcano National Park, the waterfalls, the botanical garden, etc. Then, I'm going to a resort for the beach and relax portion. If I'm going to be out exploring most of the day, I don't want to pay a lot of money at a resort I wouldn't be spending much time at. I also want to do the adventurous stuff first so I can really relax after. So if you are looking at doing the Big Island, maybe spend some time there and check out the other things to do on the island then got to Oahu for Aulani and do the beach and pool part of the trip.

We went in Feb 2020 (Just got it in before the Covid mess started!). I would STRONGLY recommend planning on a couple of days on the Big Island and spending time at Volcano National Park. It was by far the highlight of the trip for me. There was no active volcanic activity when we were there, but seeing the effects of the 2018 eruption was incredible. You can now walk along certain roads they had to close to vehicles because of the damage.

Update, and good news! The volcano started erupting again! I'm not sure exactly how much action there is and how much you could see, or how long it will last, but the lava is definitely back!

If your main goal is to see the volcano, you will want to stay in Hilo, not Kailua. Hilo is about a 40 minute drive vs about 2 hours, and in fact, I'm not even sure you can get all the way to the visitors center where the main crater is without going through Hilo. That said, every time I have gone, I have stayed in Kailua - there just is more to do on that side. The Big Island is pretty amazing though - you won't be bored no matter what side you stay on.

Personally, I'm planning to do a split stay on the Big Island.

That's what we've just about decided to do next year as well. (Although we're still trying to decide which other island to visit besides Oahu. The Big Island is the current front-runner, though.) We're going to do an RCI exchange for hotel on the other island.

That's what we've just about decided to do next year as well. (Although we're still trying to decide which other island to visit besides Oahu. The Big Island is the current front-runner, though.) We're going to do an RCI exchange for hotel on the other island.
I'm actually planning a split stay on both sides of the Big Island. First half in the Hilo area, second half in the Kona area. I know when I go to Hawaii I want to do the adventurous stuff as well as do some serious relaxing on the beach. Kona (and the area north of it) has some nice beach resorts, while there is a bunch of cool stuff (volcanoes, waterfalls, gardens, etc.) on the Hilo coast. It seems like you can do pretty much everything on the Big Island!

Hoping the quarantine isn't still happening in April to go to the Big Island. And I assume the exemption is only for locals, health care workers, etc? I'll have to keep an eye on that as we get closer. Really wanted to hop over.

Even for locals to travel it is getting harder for them. They need to test or they need to quarantine. I live on Oahu and we want to start island hopping again but between my husbands job and the cost of testing we won't be any time soon. We hope by the summer we can.

Why do a split stay? Hilo-Kona is only about 1.5-2hr drive.

-Paul
That's a completely personal choice. Yes, you can absolutely go from one side of the island and back on the same day, but if you want to really experience the best of what both sides have to offer (and you have the time and budget) then splitting your stay can make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter