Virgin prices to Apr 2007

Celestine

DIS Veteran
Have just noticed the VH website has prices to end of Apr 2007, however Easter is extortionate & there is no incentive not to take kids out of school as there seems to be no "every lesson counts" promotions for 2007, although some for next summer. I'm not prepared to wait on the off chance to see if anything gets offered for Easter2007, but I'm also not prepared to pay £789/adult flydrive (up from £479 for the week immediately preceeding the Easter school hols). I know that market forces etc. dictate price, but an increase of £310/person is ridiculous & would be a very good economic reason to take your kids out of school (family of 2 ad, 2 ch would save £840, which by my reckoning would easily cover the cost of the park passes for missing one week of school! Ruth Kelly is not going to make much headway with price differentials like this! Anyway, rant over, now back to trying to decide whether I can justify the expense not to pull the kids out of school.

You and I belong to two different groups, both of which all holiday companies don't like and therefore rip of at every opertunity. These are people who have children who can't really go in school time and single travellors. Welcome to rip off uk!!!!!!!!!!

:maleficen :headache: :crazy2: :confused3

Celestine said:
Have just noticed the VH website has prices to end of Apr 2007, however Easter is extortionate & there is no incentive not to take kids out of school as there seems to be no "every lesson counts" promotions for 2007, although some for next summer. I'm not prepared to wait on the off chance to see if anything gets offered for Easter2007, but I'm also not prepared to pay £789/adult flydrive (up from £479 for the week immediately preceeding the Easter school hols). I know that market forces etc. dictate price, but an increase of £310/person is ridiculous & would be a very good economic reason to take your kids out of school (family of 2 ad, 2 ch would save £840, which by my reckoning would easily cover the cost of the park passes for missing one week of school! Ruth Kelly is not going to make much headway with price differentials like this! Anyway, rant over, now back to trying to decide whether I can justify the expense not to pull the kids out of school.

Hi i agree, it's absolute madness!I too am in your position as i have 3 kids eldest is charged as adult as i'm a single parent.For California next june i'm nearly £1000.00 better off by going then, compared to august.

I agree. We have just booked for 3 weeks for Easter 2007 and by taking the children out of school we have saved over £1400, yes £1400. I justify this to myself because I have only ever taken them out of school once before (3 years before), I do it at the end of term rather than the start of a new one, and our holiday will still be in the school holidays, it just starts 8 days before they do!

I had the same problem booking for Easter 2006. In the end we went thru Ocean-Florida with USAirways and they did not charge hardly any extra for Easter. We do have to change and I did want to fly Virgin but we saved a fortune. We have got 2 weeks in a villa in Kiss and a week in a hotel in Clearwater for £999 each. What a bargain! My favourite saying is 'No wonder Richard Branson is a billionnaire!'

We were lucky in that we had already planned to go for 3 weeks and the date I had picked to fly out slotted into the cheaper bracket before the prices were hiked up for Easter. There is no way I would have paid those extortionate prices, I would also have flown indirect then.

We had a holiday booked for next April which was £499 fly drive - we always go with Virgin.
However, my wife is now working as a full time teacher and with my son at school the summer holidays are the only time we can now go.

I cancelled our April holiday, well not cancelled but basically moved it to next August instead and we are now paying £869 each.
It's a joke..but the planes are full so the likes of Virgin can get away with it, unfortunatley we are stuck with it...going for 3 weeks from now on though so at least we can make the most of it.

We were fortunate to go twice this year but paid nothing like £869,

I just can't believe how many people take their kids out of school to go on vacation! I know it saves you quite a bit of money but personally I don't think it should be allowed. I know it wasn't allowed when I was in school and a good thing too. JMHO

We are going on the 15th December this year, which means DD1 and DW missing the last two days of term (not a big deal really LOL). We have paid £450 each for our flights (4 adults).

If we had booked for the 16th the flights would have been £887.30!!

So by going a day earlier we saved: £1749.20!!!

Its not as if they will be doing school work the last two days of term :) and a saving like that I would do it with no hesitation.

We've got the same dilemma over which date to go, the price hike is absolutely ridiculous. :earseek:

We're hoping to go on the 23rd March 2007 for three weeks so will miss the last week of term.

Sam x

Neoshoegal said:
I just can't believe how many people take their kids out of school to go on vacation! I know it saves you quite a bit of money but personally I don't think it should be allowed. I know it wasn't allowed when I was in school and a good thing too. JMHO

I don't have a problem with taking children out of school. DH's family are American so quite often we'll have a family reunion at WDW, as we are the only family with children, the reunions are frequently arranged when our DD's are in school. We have never had a problem taking them out of school and it has never had an impact on their studies!

Hello,

Please let's not turn this thread into a discussion about whether you should or shouldn't take children out of school.

Thank you

Karen

Goofyish said:
We are going on the 15th December this year, which means DD1 and DW missing the last two days of term (not a big deal really LOL). We have paid £450 each for our flights (4 adults).

If we had booked for the 16th the flights would have been £887.30!!

So by going a day earlier we saved: £1749.20!!!

That's an unbelievable saving Tim...I think we have had similar instances in the past where we have gone shortly before the prices are hiked up..just wish the summer fly-drive prices were not so over the top.

Anyway we just have to go for longer and make the most of it. :)

Miffy2003 said:
Hello,

Please let's not turn this thread into a discussion about whether you should or shouldn't take children out of school.

Thank you

Karen
I am soooo glad you have posted this Karen. Those threads usually result in arguing and are not really any help to anyone. :)

FloridaSam said:
We've got the same dilemma over which date to go, the price hike is absolutely ridiculous. :earseek:

We're hoping to go on the 23rd March 2007 for three weeks so will miss the last week of term.

Sam x
Sam, we have booked for the 22nd March landing back in the UK on Friday 13th. :scared1: :scared1:

Just as well we are not superstitious! :rotfl2:

Out of interest for those of you that booked dates just before the price leaps up at say Easter,don't Virgin still charge the higher price for the higher priced weeks? :guilty:

kazzie said:
Out of interest for those of you that booked dates just before the price leaps up at say Easter,don't Virgin still charge the higher price for the higher priced weeks? :guilty:

No, the price is based on your departure date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter