Virgin & Hand Luggage - How strict?

Azza1987

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys

Flying MAN to MCO in Manchester, as only going for 6 nights we have decided to travel economy light and just take hand luggage as we can do a wash as ASsports whilst we are there,

I have a lovely it cabin bag that has served me well over the years, and is very light so ideal for my trip but it is 4cm over virgin's approved 'width' at 40cm and theres is 36cm! It is a bit used so has been squished a bit over the years, but has anyone flown with the it wide handle cabin bag 55 x 40 x 20 on virgin recently and been ok? Online it says 56 x 36 x 23?

If its not worth the risk, I'll get a new one - just annoyed as when I bought it a couple of years ago it was 'approved' for most airlines and ive taken it on easyjet/ryan air no problems recently!

thanks
:)

I've had my 'old faithful' cabin bag for years and it is quite big and I've never had an issue with it being checked. I think if it were obviously well over the limit they would be more concerned, but, 4 cms is hardly a big difference.

We've flown MAN to MCO with Virgin countess times and we've never had out hand luggage checked! I wouldn't worry!

It’s not as if you are taking a huge army style duffle bag, I think you’ll be fine with the bag you have just make sure it’s not over the weight limit and you should be ok. We’ve seen many big bags taken on as “ carry on” and never a word was said .. one bloke looked like his bag could have been big enough to put a body in😂🤪

Thanks All - Hopefully they wont take our day to decide to measure - i'll definitely make sure its under the 10kg just to be safe too!

Thanks All - Hopefully they wont take our day to decide to measure - i'll definitely make sure its under the 10kg just to be safe too!
The 747s are so big, there is never enough staff to check!

Can i ask what is wrong with putting a suitcase in the hold of the aircraft, to me the carry on luggage on plains is getting stupid, you see people taking more bags then size permitted and its getting out of hand., you end up not having space in the overhead lockers due to people taking up there space and others.

Just back trip from Belfast 7 adults 4children no issues

Can i ask what is wrong with putting a suitcase in the hold of the aircraft, to me the carry on luggage on plains is getting stupid, you see people taking more bags then size permitted and its getting out of hand., you end up not having space in the overhead lockers due to people taking up there space and others.
For some people, often the business travellers or holiday home owners, they just wanna be off the plane and in their car or transfer asap, rather than waiting for baggage. It can be a long wait sometimes!

For some people, often the business travellers or holiday home owners, they just wanna be off the plane and in their car or transfer asap, rather than waiting for baggage. It can be a long wait sometimes!

I can get that but when you see people with large suitcases, bags and a holdall all per person.

If everyone did the same then no one would have space.

As for bags i have never failed to clear customs to find my bags arrive within 15 minutes tops, you have to wait longer in customs then it takes for the bags to arrive.

I flew from Manchester to Orlando with Virgin a few days ago and nobody was checking the hand luggage, everyone had what I'd call reasonable sized bags rather than Ryanair sized hand baggage(!) so I think you'll be absolutely fine.

To be honest the only issue I've had with Virgin and hand luggage was at MCO returning to LGW. Where they wanted me to take things out of my hand luggage and carry it in carrier bags away from the check in area. It was bizarre - hand luggage was well within the size and weight limits...so put it back in my hand luggage after we walked away!

I don't think you'll have any issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter