VENT: I want to strangle my co-worker!

I'm with the camp that having had a job at WalMart and currently making $10/hr doesn't necessarily mean that she's not smart. I was working minimum wage jobs with an MBA simply because having an MBA doesn't mean there's an exec-level job waiting for you after graduation. Sometimes you're stuck. A know-it-all attitude has nothing to do with how smart someone is. And neither does their job description or pay rate.

So ... whew ... that's done! :goodvibes

The woman who doesn't wash her hands ... could it be she has wipes and / or sanitizer at her desk? I used to do that because the soap in the ladies room irritated my skin (and I mean big-time -- rash, hives, etc). So, I'd go to the bathroom and then -- whenever possible -- wait to clean my hands until I got back to my desk. At that particular workplace, there was also a woman who left notes in the bathroom -- 8 x 10 notes in HUGE print -- that reminded everyone to wash their hands and flush the toilet. I imagine they were directed at me, but she never said anything specific. I didn't take much notice of them until about two weeks in, when the notes got longer (explanations of e coli, etc) and started to be accompanied with "I know who you are!" notes in her handwriting.

I finally left a note of my own next to hers that said, "If you know who I am, please come and talk to me personally. Thanks." She never showed up in my office, and the notes continued.

I finally took one to our office supervisor and told her that I was pretty certain the notes were directed at me (turns out, I was wrong). And then I said that, while I thought the woman probably had everyone's good health at heart, I thought it was kind of a bad picture to portray to our clients, who also used those bathrooms. Here we had clients coming in, thinking that the people in the office had to be told to flush the toilets and wash our hands. How did that look and what kind of image did that project?

Notes were gone the next day, the woman was spoken to by the boss, and all was well.

So ... that's one way to go ....

:earsboy:

I was the one who put up an "instruction" letter in the bathroom that we shared with another office across the hall (different employer) some years back. Seems one fellow didn't feel the need to flush - and in the stalls, not the urinal :scared:. IIRC, the note went something like this:

Step 1: Poop
Step 2: Wipe
Step 3: Pull up pants
Step 4: Flush
Step 5: Check bowl
Step 6: If contents remain in bowl, go back to step 4

Someone later wrote in "Step 7: Wash hands!" :rotfl:

I get how annoying that might be.
But, there's not much you can do about it. Better to vent here than talk about it at work, right? It might be best if you find a way to not let her little 'ventable actions' get to you at all. Is there any way you can just laugh about it rather than get stressed about it? Find a way to make the little things seem smaller, you know? Good luck!

Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

Sounds like its more of a personality conflict than anything. I know you are venting, but you are making a lot of judgements about your co-worker. I personally don't see where she is so off base.

In regard to her hourly pay and where she used to work. Well, times are tough. She might be a very well educated person and that this job and her job at Walmart are beneath her education (hard to tell from your post) but due to the economy can't find anything else. Not really fair to judge based on where they used to work. At least she's working and brining home a pay check.

In regards to her health issues and calling in sick. Again, you have no right to judge. It doesn't matter how old she is. She can still have health issues due to her injury at wal-mart, carpal tunnel, etc regardless of how old she is. Her health issues are none of your business. If her calling in sick is a problem then that is something that needs to be addressed between her and her supervisor.

In regards to the employee that doesn't wash her hands after using the restroom, well that is just gross. I can't stand to see someone not wash their hands. They then use those unwashed hands to open doors, handle papers, pick up donuts, etc. Its just gross and there is no excuse for poor hygiene. I don't have a problem with her leaving notes reminding people to wash hands.

In my office building, someone (and I'm really not sure who) went into our bathrooms and on each still taped a note to remind people to clean up behind themselves...make sure the toilet is flushed, make sure to wash hands, etc. We also have a person that is known to not wash their hands. We also have notes in the kitchen area to clean up after ourselves. Well, I know that I already do these things and so the notes aren't aimed to me. Therefore, they don't bother me.

Why are you so bothered by her notes? You see notes all the times in businesses to remind people (especially employees) to wash their hands before returning to work.

Personally, if this all that she has done, I think now that you've vented, you just need to get over it. Ignore her where you can and work with her only when you need too.

I had what my orthopedic doc called one of the worst cases of carpal tunnel he had ever seen and had it surgically corrected when I was "only" 33. So yes, I can believe she has therapy for her carpal tunnel at 30. What's wrong with that?

Guess I wasn't clear here... I know you can get carpel tunnel at any age. I have this suspicion that she's losing her case against Walmart and setting herself up for a new claim...

If she misses work, does that directly affect you?

Yes, I have to work late when she's gone, because I have to back-up her end-of-day reports. This means I'll be late picking my kids up from school and have to arrange to have someone else get them.

It's one thing if she'd have a planned vacation day and I can arrange ahead of time. It's another to scramble when I get to work and find out she's sick again!!!!

And it sounds like you aren't fond of her so every little thing she does is going to annoy you, even if it is not worth being annoyed about.

Yes... this is true.

Ignore her where you can and work with her only when you need too.

Good advice, which I am trying to take!

I was the one who put up an "instruction" letter in the bathroom that we shared with another office across the hall (different employer) some years back. Seems one fellow didn't feel the need to flush - and in the stalls, not the urinal :scared:. IIRC, the note went something like this:

Step 1: Poop
Step 2: Wipe
Step 3: Pull up pants
Step 4: Flush
Step 5: Check bowl
Step 6: If contents remain in bowl, go back to step 4

Someone later wrote in "Step 7: Wash hands!" :rotfl:

:rotfl2:

Guess I wasn't clear here... I know you can get carpel tunnel at any age. I have this suspicion that she's losing her case against Walmart and setting herself up for a new claim...

Yes, I have to work late when she's gone, because I have to back-up her end-of-day reports. This means I'll be late picking my kids up from school and have to arrange to have someone else get them.

It's one thing if she'd have a planned vacation day and I can arrange ahead of time. It's another to scramble when I get to work and find out she's sick again!!!!

Yes... this is true.

Good advice, which I am trying to take!

Sometimes you can't plan getting sick though. What if you got sick or stayed home with your sick child? Someone would have to pick up your slack; right? As others have said; it sounds like you just don't like her and are looking for reasons to be mad at her.

ccgirl said:
Sometimes you can't plan getting sick though. What if you got sick or stayed home with your sick child? Someone would have to pick up your slack; right? As others have said; it sounds like you just don't like her and are looking for reasons to be mad at her.

This person calls in sick most Mondays, giving themselves a three day weekend and causing OP to have to stay late to do her backup .
That would bug the heck out of me.

Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

You say she is frequently out ill.

Could there be a possibility that she has an immune problem? And that she does need people to watch their hygiene. We have three women in our office that are undergoing chemo for breast cancer and one that has an immune deficiency disorder. All of them need to be careful of hygiene. Besides her absences are between the boss and herself. If she is abusing the sick policy, the bosses know about it and will take care of it. If she has legitimate reasons to be out, it is none of your business why she is out. She could be very private about her health issues.

And if I knew somebody was toileting without washing their hands, I would welcome the notes and chip in with "Miss SmartyPants" for more pens and paper. That is just plain disgusting. I certainly would not want somebody touching donuts after they went to the bathroom without washing.

Personally, I would be more offended by the person in the office who tolerated poor hygiene and actually got irritated that somebody was trying to do something about it. Do you know for sure that your boss did not give her the OK to put the notes up?

Also, you claim she is uneducated and call her names because her last job was at Wal-Mart and now she is a $10.00 an hour bookkeeper. Yet she is a colleague of yours. So, what does that say about your "smarts?" I would be careful calling people names.

And now you are "suspicious" that she is setting up Wal-Mart for another claim. Really, you are WAY too invested in what this person is doing.

Your co-worker sounds like a leader. Whereas, people who tattle to bosses, call colleagues names, and start rumors about them (planning a new suit against Wal-Mart, her carpal tunnel is fake) are the ones considered busybodies and are often thought of being jealous and bitter. I would just start ignoring her and focusing on your own job.

This person calls in sick most Mondays, giving themselves a three day weekend and causing OP to have to stay late to do her backup .
That would bug the heck out of me.

I understand that's what he OP said. How many sick days are they allowed? If it is within the rules then there is nothing wrong wtih it; right? As I said, if the OP is out sick would someone have to stay late to do her backup? I only get 2 -3 day weekends a year. How many does the OP get?

I would stop being so accommodating when she calls in sick if you now have to stay late. I would have a hard time saying no, but everytime it happens, make a bit more noise with your boss about just how much of a scramble it is for you. Your boss is more likely to then notice how inconvenient it is.

I rarely EVER call in sick on Mondays and Fridays. I have even gone so far as coming in and then turn around and go home an hour or two later. In our office, we notice when someone calls in sick on Mon/Fri (we make it a big joke). I would hate to have anyone in my office thinking I called in sick just to have an extended vacation.

I had one staff once that constantly took days off (part-timer) and we didn't pay attention to it for some time since she wasn't paid and then eventually it happened so often that I talked to her about it because it was getting unfair to the other staff. We quite discouraged taking days off as it messed up our scheduling - the other staff knew and bent over backwards not to take days off. I started saying no to her once I noticed and began tracking her requests.

I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

WWYD?

And your snobby point is?

Although it sounds like she is going overboard with her comments, it sounds like somebody needs the reminders. Seriously, if people have to be told to wash their dishes and pick up donuts with a napkin, I'd be concerned.

I would stop being so accommodating when she calls in sick if you now have to stay late. I would have a hard time saying no, but everytime it happens, make a bit more noise with your boss about just how much of a scramble it is for you. Your boss is more likely to then notice how inconvenient it is.

Not a very professional suggestion. The only good that can come out of the OP complaining to the boss that she has extra work is that she will look bad and earn herself the distinction of not being a team player. If she just grumbles and "makes noise" about it as you suggest she do, it again will look like she is passive aggressive and jealous of her coworker.

99.99% of bosses will notice on their own if their employees are out every Monday.

MIGrandma said:
First of all just because someone's last job was at Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are uneducated.

I would just ignore "smarty pants." She is probably a college graduate with no common sense. ;)

Totally agree. The walmart comment was rude.

Aside from that, i think your coworker isn't doing anything wrong. She is taking the appropriate steps to remind ppl to WASH THEIR HANDS instead of ignoring the issue. I wouldn't have a problem with what she's doing.

Second of all, the fact that she's sick every Monday shouldn't affect you at all. just let her boss deal with it.

For what its worth, i work with ppl like that. Its VERY annoying I agree. Hang in there.

If you aren't the one not washing your hands, or using napkins, or washing dishes without soap, what do you care.
I'd welcome someone "speaking" up about the hygiene issues in your office. She seems to be smarter than you give her credit for.

I wanted to add that since she's calling in sick practically every Monday, chances are she's not really sick. That's a pattern you boss is probably noticing. The fact that you have to pick up her workload and stay late whenever she calls in sick isn't fair. I can understand picking up her workload, but staying late because of her isn't right. I would talk to your boss about that. You have a family, you have kids.

I don't see what her working at WalMart, her workmens comp claim, or how much she gets paid has anything to do with it. Maybe get your nose out of her businss and mind your own?

hmmm I think the next time she calls in sick - I would let the boss know that the person who picks up your kids is out of town so you can't stay late & do her back up

the person at my job that is driving me nuts leaves a mess that I have to clean up ever morning - how hard is it to put something back up when you use it. why leave several things where others trip over them.
how about breaking down boxes when you emtpy them?? why add those to your pile too??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter