Value or Deluxe? Pro/Cons besides $$$

Dynamite626

Mouseketeer
I am planning to take my DH, DD along with her DH, and 3 kids to Disney in August. I have booked two rooms at Wilderness Lodge which my DH and I LOVE! The grandkids, however, want to stay at Art of Animations. For the boys, 5 and 4, and the SIL, this will be their first trip. Having never stayed at Art of Animation or any of the value resorts, my question is this. How crowded are the pools, dining area and buses at these resorts. We really would not be saving that much, if any, over what we are paying for WL. We would have a bit more space in the rooms. Not sure if the trade off is worth the hassle of crowds and distance to buses and pools.

I have never stayed at a value but I do know that values dont' have slides...so if a pool slide is important then you better stay Deluxe. Plus as you know already, deluxes corridors are inside so you can get wherever without going into the heat etc.

Then finally I would say another plus to the deluxe (WL) is having the boat to MK. We love WL and are going for our 2nd stay there in December so I am partial as well HAHA!!!!!

I have never stayed at a value but I do know that values dont' have slides...so if a pool slide is important then you better stay Deluxe. Plus as you know already, deluxes corridors are inside so you can get wherever without going into the heat etc.

Then finally I would say another plus to the deluxe (WL) is having the boat to MK. We love WL and are going for our 2nd stay there in December so I am partial as well HAHA!!!!!

All good points that I have made to my DD. Think I have convinced her, just hate disappointing the boys, but when it's all said and done Maw Maw is paying!

I haven't stayed at either WL or AOA but I've read some really amazing things about AOA on here. If I'm not mistaken their corridors are interior for the suites as well (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) And we received a flyer from Disney World a few weeks ago with the AOA pool lit up at night , and I have to say that it looks awesome! That flyer is now on my fridge as a reminder of what we're saving for! My kids are dying to stay in a Cars suite on our next trip. Good luck deciding! It will be do much fun no matter where you stay!

I think when it comes down to it the kids will have an amazing time no matter what...and if someone was paying for me to go...I would gladly stay whereever they want HAHA!!!!! If you want to take me and my kids I will let you have your way and stay at WL HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! If you stay at WL they will forget all about the other hotels in about 5 minutes. Plus you don't usually end up spending that much time in the room.

The kids will love the pool slide. And there is a beach there that they don't have at AoA. You also have the boats to MK, CR and FW. There is a nice playground for the kids at FW.

Hmmm...I have read that the linens (bedding/towels) aren't as nice at values, no towels at the pool, more spread out (vs WL), can only take buses, heard AoA's TS area gets really busy, might see larger tour groups that tend to 'take over' pools/other areas at the resort (tend to stick to other values/mods though).

It really depends on what you want. I love WL, because it is very relaxing, and is a break from all of the 'in your face' craziness in the parks. I feel that AoA is just a continuation of that craziness, and no real break from the 'fun.' That being said, this is probably the last time the kids would want to go to AoA, as they might age out of it over time. They would love it.

I am someone who prefers deluxe stays, BUT we have 2 days I haven't booked in December prior to a 5 night BLT stay (my personal fave resort, WL second). We ARE considering AoA (Nemo room), simply because our kids are at great ages for them (3 and 7). I will most likely end up at WL or BC, but AoA is on my short list. However, my inlaws will be with us for our BLT stay, no way would I have suggested AoA for them. If grandma/grandpa are coming, then we go for relaxing over kid crazy. ESPECIALLY if they are paying ; )

Let me really throw you a curve ball...have you looked into renting points and staying at a DVC resort? Having separate bedrooms + a common area, with kitchen/dining/washing machines/etc. is really wonderful and a 2br runs about the same price as 2 deluxe rooms. If you go that route, I would recommend Kidani or BLT to give you a third full bathroom.

Split stay??

Rooms are smaller at value too..I may have spoiled my DD with all our deluxe stays because when we did a one nighter last year at ASSp, she said "this is the Walmart of Disney hotels!!!"

The family suites at AoA also have interior hall corridors. :thumbsup2

Hmmm...I have read that the linens (bedding/towels) aren't as nice at values, no towels at the pool, more spread out (vs WL), can only take buses, heard AoA's TS area gets really busy, might see larger tour groups that tend to 'take over' pools/other areas at the resort (tend to stick to other values/mods though).

It really depends on what you want. I love WL, because it is very relaxing, and is a break from all of the 'in your face' craziness in the parks. I feel that AoA is just a continuation of that craziness, and no real break from the 'fun.' That being said, this is probably the last time the kids would want to go to AoA, as they might age out of it over time. They would love it.

I am someone who prefers deluxe stays, BUT we have 2 days I haven't booked in December prior to a 5 night BLT stay (my personal fave resort, WL second). We ARE considering AoA, simply because our kids are at great ages for them (3 and 7). I will most likely end up at WL or BC, but AoA is on my short list. However, my inlaws will be with us for our BLT stay, no way would I have suggested AoA for them. If grandma/grandpa are coming, then we go for relaxing over kid crazy. ESPECIALLY if they are paying ; )

Let me really throw you a curve ball...have you looked into renting points and staying at a DVC resort? Having separate bedrooms + a common area, with kitchen/dining/washing machines/etc. is really wonderful and a 2br runs about the same price as 2 deluxe rooms. If you go that route, I would recommend Kidani or BLT to give you a third full bathroom.
bolding is mine...
while the food court has been known to get busy, AoA doesn't host tour groups. So them taking over the food court and pools isn't really applicable... ;)
And AoA isn't that big and spread out (IMO) compared to WL...

Rooms are smaller at value too..I may have spoiled my DD with all our deluxe stays because when we did a one nighter last year at ASSp, she said "this is the Walmart of Disney hotels!!!"

Well, me personally, I would consider ASSp the Walmart of Disney too. But I don't put the All Stars on the same caliber as POP and AoA. I have stayed at Both All Stars and POP and IMO there is NO comparison. The room sizes are the same, but the ambiance and service is NOT!!!! :goodvibes (and I'd say Disney must agree with me a little bit...otherwise why would POP & AoA LM be priced higher than the All Stars?? :rotfl2:)

AoA is really pretty Awesome! The Nemo pool is pretty Wild!! It is something else to see lit at night!! I LOVE to walk around over there at night and just enjoy seeing everything all lit up, especially in the Cars section!!! The detailing is just AMAZING! But to each his/her own. Personally, I don't mind the buses. I dread the boats. I think they can be kinda stifling when they are sitting still, but again to each his/her own. I'm sure you'll figure out the right decision. But if the kids are little, I think I'd opt for AoA now and do WL later.... JMHO. Good Luck!! :goodvibes

Ok this could be the clincher. DH likes to be comfortable as he usually spends more time at the resort than the parks. And like some said, it's a break from all the Disney craziness. Looking at the pics of AoA, I'm afraid all the colors 24/7 would give me a migraine. WL for me. Maybe send the DD and kids to AoA and really relax. Hahaha!:cool1:

It's a hard one. As I feel Little Kids might get a bigger kick out of a cars or Little Mermaid room, and couldnt care less if towels are provided at that pool. You can always take your room towels and call for extra.

I kid might miss a slide if they know there is an Option for one (you wont miss what you dont know rule). My Kids get excited at any pool. We havnt slept at AOA but stopped by to check it out. It does scream Disney and it totally for Kids.

Now from an adult view, things are different. We take prioroties for other things such as bedding and how much shade is there at the pool etc...

Another factor too is how much Resort time will you spend? Are you plannning alot of character meals, which will take you out of the Resort?? Is it then worth the extra Money?

Ok this could be the clincher. DH likes to be comfortable as he usually spends more time at the resort than the parks. And like some said, it's a break from all the Disney craziness. Looking at the pics of AoA, I'm afraid all the colors 24/7 would give me a migraine. WL for me. Maybe send the DD and kids to AoA and really relax. Hahaha!:cool1:

oh..you are like me! Also, the WL has a LOVELY hot tub ( a deal breaker for me) I like to soak at night even in the winter!

Gotta go with AoA. We absolutely loved it there. We've stayed at all levels (and off site, twice before we had kids). I think the kids would really like it. The pools were great, the busses were great. Can't say enough good things about it.

Are you considering AoA suites versus Deluxe or AoA standard rooms (Little Mermaid) versus Deluxe? If you are considering AoA suites, that is tough as they are larger than deluxe rooms and have two bathrooms. They also include an interior corridor like the deluxes.

I struggled with a decision about AoA suites versus CR in August and ended up going with CR (convenience to MK was the deal breaker).

Gotta go with AoA. We absolutely loved it there. We've stayed at all levels (and off site, twice before we had kids). I think the kids would really like it. The pools were great, the busses were great. Can't say enough good things about it.

Do you think it would be a mistake to spend 5 nights @ Poly before staying 4 nights in an AoA suite (instead of doing it the other way around)? We're currently booked in the suite for our entire stay & thinking about splitting as this will be our 1st visit. There are 4 of us-the kids are 9 & 11.

Wilderness lodge is fabulous and convenient to Mk and is fabulous.
They won't remember what they wanted once they walk in.
You do have the option of going over to AoA and looking around.
The cars area is super fun to take pics with all the cars.
You can have lunch or dinner at the food court there. it's pretty dead at lunch time so you can take a bus over from the park, look around have lunch have a break and head back.
the kids will have lots of chances in life to go to disney i bed (more than most people may realize).
Go with where you are comfy.
I've never ever heard a kid not enjoy going to wilderness lodge!!

If you or anyone in your family is spending more time at the resort, WL is the way to go. It is a beautiful resort, and if you've stayed there you'd know. You can even get a woods view which can have a view of Wishes at MK. Plus there is the Electric Magic Pageant, which is every night at 8 (in August. :p) on Bay Lake, exclusively shown for BLT, CR and WL guests (possibly also FWC). There is absolutely nothing to do at Value resorts, especially for your DH. Deluxe resorts have so many more amenities, and WL is on the cheaper side of Deluxe, so it's a great deal. Values, IMHO, are more for people who spend more time at the parks, not to say you personally won't be out more, but if your DH won't be out a lot go with WL. You're paying, not the kids.

Do you think it would be a mistake to spend 5 nights @ Poly before staying 4 nights in an AoA suite (instead of doing it the other way around)? We're currently booked in the suite for our entire stay & thinking about splitting as this will be our 1st visit. There are 4 of us-the kids are 9 & 11.

I haven't stayed at These two, but seeing that Poly is a Delux and seems to have alot more to do on Resort ( ammenities, wishes from beach, Dining etc..) I would assume you might be spending more time at the Resort. Or at least WANT to spend more time at the Resort.

Also assuming most People, such as myself seem to go park crazy when the vacation starts..NOT spending so much time at Resort. Also this is your first trip so I would think the Parks would a focal Point.

Here I would definatley suggest do the AOA first, by the end of this part you may be a bit tired and Need to relax more. Here the pOly would be a welcom Change, plus you have 4 days of parks behind you.

I haven't stayed at These two, but seeing that Poly is a Delux and seems to have alot more to do on Resort ( ammenities, wishes from beach, Dining etc..) I would assume you might be spending more time at the Resort. Or at least WANT to spend more time at the Resort.

Also assuming most People, such as myself seem to go park crazy when the vacation starts..NOT spending so much time at Resort. Also this is your first trip so I would think the Parks would a focal Point.

Here I would definatley suggest do the AOA first, by the end of this part you may be a bit tired and Need to relax more. Here the pOly would be a welcom Change, plus you have 4 days of parks behind you.

I think this is good advice.:thumbsup2

DisneyDmbNut said:
oh..you are like me! Also, the WL has a LOVELY hot tub ( a deal breaker for me) I like to soak at night even in the winter!

Not me!! DD is a CM and a CM she dated was responsible for the hot tubs at the resort she was previously working at! Since they are NOT adult only and they allow children in them, I will NOT use them!! Kids pee & poop in them! It's gross! And what's worse is that the water temp is even hotter than a pool & smaller (more concentrated) and then because there's so much water movement it gets churned around faster! Not a fan of public pools either for this reason. ;) Personally, I would like to see them go to adult only hot tubs. Then I would consider bumping up to a moderate. But until then, I'm not going to pay for ammenities I won't use. And I don't like any of the onsite restaurants at the mods. So that's another meaningless ammenity at a mod for me as is a slide at a pool I won't use. The hot tub would be the upgrade.... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter