Vaccine, Covid, and reopening updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! Please- news only on the above topics!!! Thank you!

Our 'red' state has been mostly fully open for months.

Indoor gathering at large venues is about the only thing that's not back to normal and I think those EOs expire 4/30.

Our state's daily average of cases is 250. I know a 40 year old with covid fighting for her life on a vent right now. She had recently gotten the J&J vaccine before testing positive. It's not as over as some think.

Last edited:
Michigan looks to be turning a corner. Statewide cases have been below the 7-day rolling average for 4 consecutive days, and in my county, which was among the hardest hit in this wave, they're down by almost half compared to a week ago. Which is still high but nothing like the couple of weeks we had where fully 1% of the population was dx'd with covid each week. We've still got a ways to go before it all shakes out and we know what the final numbers are - deaths peaked in the fall 18 days after cases peaked, and we're only 5-6 days past what looks like the probable peak of this wave. But right now, it looks like the fatality rate during this surge is about 1/3 of what it was in our fall peak, probably because most of the people with the worst odds were vaccinated by the time cases started rising. So that's the good news.

The bad is that we do seem to be hitting a wall on vaccination with 40% of the population having had at least one dose. The county can't fill available appointments and has had to scramble to use up doses at the end of the day when they've held walk-in events. It looks like the 16-17 group is going to be tough to reach. Even parents who are vaccinated themselves are expressing reluctance to have their kids vaccinated before there's a longer base of information about the vaccine. A couple of high schools in my area shared "get vaccinated" posts on social media only to end up deleting them under a barrage of parent and community complaints.

Indoor gathering at large venues is about the only thing that's not back to normal and I think those EOs expire 4/30.

Keep us posted on whether events resume when the limits are lifted. At this point, I'm all for traveling if it means I can see a concert again. Both shows that I optimistically got tickets to for this summer (late July) have already cancelled, and I'm pretty sure the third (in Sept.) will as well. But I believe it was the artists, not the venue, that cancelled so I'm not sure things will be any different in states that have/will be fully reopened.

Our state's daily average of cases is 250. I know a 40 year old with covid fighting for her life on a vent right now. She had recently gotten the J&J vaccine before testing positive. It's not as over as some think.

My sister just tested positive on Monday. We have no idea where she got it, as she's only been going in to work 2 days a week and aside from that only to the grocery store. All fully masked, they're distancing at work so she didn't have anything qualifying as "close contact" by the CDC definition. We live together, so now I'm also in quarantine. I just got my first vaccine dose on Monday. Monday was also the first day she was eligible to sign up for the vaccine in our state (I got mine in the state I work in, which opened earlier).

My sister just tested positive on Monday. We have no idea where she got it, as she's only been going in to work 2 days a week and aside from that only to the grocery store. All fully masked, they're distancing at work so she didn't have anything qualifying as "close contact" by the CDC definition. We live together, so now I'm also in quarantine. I just got my first vaccine dose on Monday. Monday was also the first day she was eligible to sign up for the vaccine in our state (I got mine in the state I work in, which opened earlier).
How’s her health now?

I have some happy news, seems that my vaccination was a success & I made antibodies. For most people this is expected but no-one was really sure what my body would do with the Pfizer. Also while it did cause some mini few hour flares for a bit during the process I am now a 1.5 weeks post and it didn't cause a real flare. If anything the shot seems to have triggered some sort of healing and I'm grateful for it, even if it's temporary :). The world is opening up around me and I'm hoping I can join soon (with pre-cautions that suit me, of course)

In Ohio just yesterday, reopening metrics were changed from number of cases to number of vaccinated.

Kentucky changed to number of vaccinated last week. Once we hit 2.5 million Kentuckians with their first dose, the state will pretty much open up. We're at a little over 1.6 million. But it's hard getting that final 900,000 people vaccinated. After weeks of over 100,000 vaccinated, we only had 85,000 vaccinated last week. And we're at a pace to have fewer vaccinated this week.

Thanks @Jonfw2 for creating this thread after the last one was locked. Please keep the debates off this thread!!

Connecticut has been one of the better states (IMO) in the country with the entire handling of Covid especially given our proximity to NYC - strict with restrictions and masks but allowing much to continue to happen with rules and modifications. We have also been one of the best with vaccine distribution since we early on ditched all of the phases based on situations and switched to strictly age based phases. We opened up to the entire state to 16+ on April 1. I am 52, healthy with no medical conditions and work remotely and I have already gotten both my Pfizer shots.

Based on how we are trending with vaccinations, our governor is removing most restrictions by May 1 and all remaining restrictions by May 19 including restrictions on event sizes and other gatherings and opening bars which have been closed since the original lockdown. There will be recommendations shared by the health department but it will be up to the businesses and event organizers to determine what safety measures make sense. The only thing not going away is the mask mandate which people here would have probably kept masking anyway whether the mandate was removed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter