Vaccine, Covid, and reopening updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Jonfw2 for creating this thread after the last one was locked. Please keep the debates off this thread!!

Connecticut has been one of the better states (IMO) in the country with the entire handling of Covid especially given our proximity to NYC - strict with restrictions and masks but allowing much to continue to happen with rules and modifications. We have also been one of the best with vaccine distribution since we early on ditched all of the phases based on situations and switched to strictly age based phases. We opened up to the entire state to 16+ on April 1. I am 52, healthy with no medical conditions and work remotely and I have already gotten both my Pfizer shots.

Based on how we are trending with vaccinations, our governor is removing most restrictions by May 1 and all remaining restrictions by May 19 including restrictions on event sizes and other gatherings and opening bars which have been closed since the original lockdown. There will be recommendations shared by the health department but it will be up to the businesses and event organizers to determine what safety measures make sense. The only thing not going away is the mask mandate which people here would have probably kept masking anyway whether the mandate was removed or not.

My pleasure. The only amazing thing is that I didn't cause the debates that got the other one shut down!!!

In Ohio just yesterday, reopening metrics were changed from number of cases to number of vaccinated.
This is interesting because it could backfire and you could end up punishing those who are vaccinated if not enough people get the vaccine.

This is interesting because it could backfire and you could end up punishing those who are vaccinated if not enough people get the vaccine.
I can see the downside, but would much rather go this route than going the California route of needed vaccine passports for concerts, etc. I'd go further and say they should have tied the latest stimulus payments to getting vaccinated.

In NV, apparently, the whole state will drop requirements June 1, pending vaccine numbers.
In VA, the governor is signaling that many, if not all. requirements will drop by late May, pending vaccine numbers.

And I suspect that's where the carrot and stick comes in.

This is true but what happens if you never reach that goal. The poster from Kentucky said that they are already running into issues trying to reach that number. I am not for punishing people who have gotten the vaccine by not opening things up because others refuse to get it. IMO this is a slippery slope. I know that a poster said they don't want vaccine passports but I prefer that since I have my vaccine and I can then use my passport to participate in activities.

I'd go further and say they should have tied the latest stimulus payments to getting vaccinated.
Not everyone in my state was eligible when that was passed. I wasn't eligible when it was passed, neither was my husband. Also that would be incredibly cruel to people who have access issues to getting the vaccine, cannot get appointments, etc out of their control.

It's totally fine for a company to give a financial incentive. An awful (and forgive me not trying to be disrespectful) thing to tie an economic stimulus from the Federal government to a medical aspect such as a vaccine. Not to mention how to get one if you aren't medically cleared for it. And that's not even getting into who has largely been able to get the vaccine which has mostly been whites who have been vaccinated more on average than non-whites.

It's just not related here (an economic stimulus and vaccine hesitancy because those are not one in the same individuals) and is a way to unfairly tighten who can get it without actually solving the issue you're trying to solve (which is vaccine hesitancy).

This is true but what happens if you never reach that goal. The poster from Kentucky said that they are already running into issues trying to reach that number. I am not for punishing people who have gotten the vaccine by not opening things up because others refuse to get it. IMO this is a slippery slope. I know that a poster said they don't want vaccine passports but I prefer that since I have my vaccine and I can then use my passport to participate in activities.

Simple: you open things up only to the vaccinated and tough shoot to those who aren't.

My sister just tested positive on Monday. We have no idea where she got it, as she's only been going in to work 2 days a week and aside from that only to the grocery store. All fully masked, they're distancing at work so she didn't have anything qualifying as "close contact" by the CDC definition. We live together, so now I'm also in quarantine. I just got my first vaccine dose on Monday. Monday was also the first day she was eligible to sign up for the vaccine in our state (I got mine in the state I work in, which opened earlier).
Covid, like everything else in life, doesn't score 100% on the Karma test. Some people that did all the right things will still get it.

I just read that vaccine administration was down 10% last few days, compared to the same days last week. That is not a good sign. I really hope we aren't approaching that wall that they have warned about.

Clearly the J&J pause has had an effect on willingness of people to get vaccinated.

Indiana is kind of a mixed bag.

On the one hand, scheduling a vaccine appointment is relatively easy, in my opinion. The website is directly through the Indiana gov website and is much easier to navigate (imo) than some of our surrounding states. It doesn't direct you to a third party website, which then directs you to another third party website, etc. In fact, I've had friends from Illinois and Michigan come to Indiana for their vaccines because it was just so much easier to manage. I'm honestly shocked that the system has been so easy to use.

On the other hand, our 7 day averages for vaccine distribution are terrible in my opinion. It's a combination of it being a 'red' state and terrible outreach, I think. Some people don't want it, other people don't know how to get it, and even more just haven't made the effort, I think. Not entirely sure.

We don't have an official mask mandate anymore, but most businesses and buildings still require one.

Cases have been rising, but not TOO terribly, I don't think.

I do agree with you here. It's like there's no contingency if the number isn't reached. It will be perfect if it works out but what if it doesn't? Is the state prepared to sit indefinitely where it's at? Because once you decide to open without that number having been reached or if you adjust the number downward (to make it easier) you've lost your leverage and/or credibility.

I think it's more realistic to approach it like restrictions may need to come and go more frequently the less an area has vaccinated which isn't the same as saying the restrictions won't go away unless a certain percentage of the population of a state is vaccinated. The restrictions are there for a reason and it would at least be theorized that spread/cases/potentially hospitalizations/potentially deaths are at an increased risk of occurring the less a population is protected.

My state is seeing a few thousand new cases daily.

In my specific county, our positivity rate has been hovering between 5-6% for a few weeks now with hospital bed usage around 90% (although both hospitals in my city were at capacity a few days ago).

I don’t remember what the metrics are for a full reopening but I don’t think we are close to meeting them.

Vaccine reception has been generally good here and it’s easy to find and sign up for appointments. I got my first dose of Moderna 22 days ago...6 more days until dose 2!

Some people don't want it, other people don't know how to get it, and even more just haven't made the effort, I think. Not entirely sure.
On one of the other threads I mentioned my county was considering closing down the mass vaccination site they have. They have now decided to just lessen how much they rely solely on that and instead rely on "smaller clinics and targeted conversations with people who may be vaccine hesitant." as well as "We are going to be working with churches, going to be working with other organizations in the community and ensuring that those who need to be vaccinated are vaccinated. We are asking schools, junior colleges, colleges" which some schools and colleges have already started this including one of the big public school districts in my area who said parents appreciated that their kids could get vaccinated on school grounds so they didn't have to worry about taking off work and other obstacles.

They said what they do now, in the future, etc depends on how the public acts.

I think we're going to see a lot of places now shift to more small highly localized (even much more local like a particular neighborhood as opposed to zip code or city) to be more targeted whether that's access issues, vaccine hesitancy or issues with who they trust to go to like some people really do prefer their doctor and don't want some big mega site to get it from. I sure hope it helps though!

Vermont -- our re-opening plan is also tied to % vaccinated. Ages 16+ just became eligible to sign-up earlier this week, but it could be a couple of weeks before most of those actually have their 1st appointment. I believe we're currently at ~55% with at least 1 dose and ~38% fully vaccinated.

On one of the other threads I mentioned my county was considering closing down the mass vaccination site they have. They have now decided to just lessen how much they rely solely on that and instead rely on "smaller clinics and targeted conversations with people who may be vaccine hesitant." as well as "We are going to be working with churches, going to be working with other organizations in the community and ensuring that those who need to be vaccinated are vaccinated. We are asking schools, junior colleges, colleges" which some schools and colleges have already started this including one of the big public school districts in my area who said parents appreciated that their kids could get vaccinated on school grounds so they didn't have to worry about taking off work and other obstacles.

They said what they do now, in the future, etc depends on how the public acts.

I think we're going to see a lot of places now shift to more small highly localized (even much more local like a particular neighborhood as opposed to zip code or city) to be more targeted whether that's access issues, vaccine hesitancy or issues with who they trust to go to like some people really do prefer their doctor and don't want some big mega site to get it from. I sure hope it helps though!
Very similar here. I live in a county with a mass site, but when they opened it they also mentioned having "mobile clinics" ran out of them. Sort of like pop-up sites within the community. They're really trying to get into the community. I live in a very heavily populated black/latino community and they're having a very hard time with it, I believe. I think a lot of it is under/un-insured people who think it will cost them money, people concerned with immigration status, people who don't have vehicles, etc. I know the mass clinic is also offering a bussing service. I think they are trying, but they need to do more. It's the communities hardest hit by COVID that are struggling getting vaccine access, it seems. It's a tough situation.

For reference, the mass site I'm referring to is Gary, IN. I don't live in Gary, but live in a surrounding town. It's where I got my first shot.

I heard a lot of areas in NY want to try and do some door to door outreach too. I think that would be beneficial.

Pennsylvania opened restaurants from 50% to 75% capacity on April 4th.

All Pennsylvanians are eligible for the vaccine as of April ... 19th? I think? Most teachers were eligible specifically for J&J several weeks ago.

I don't recall any news since then regarding a return to normalcy.

44.7% of the population of PA has had at least one dose of a vaccine. 27.4% are fully vaccinated. So, we should see that 44.7% as fully vaccinated by May 20th.

Last edited:
Michigan looks to be turning a corner. Statewide cases have been below the 7-day rolling average for 4 consecutive days, and in my county, which was among the hardest hit in this wave, they're down by almost half compared to a week ago. Which is still high but nothing like the couple of weeks we had where fully 1% of the population was dx'd with covid each week. We've still got a ways to go before it all shakes out and we know what the final numbers are - deaths peaked in the fall 18 days after cases peaked, and we're only 5-6 days past what looks like the probable peak of this wave. But right now, it looks like the fatality rate during this surge is about 1/3 of what it was in our fall peak, probably because most of the people with the worst odds were vaccinated by the time cases started rising. So that's the good news.

The bad is that we do seem to be hitting a wall on vaccination with 40% of the population having had at least one dose. The county can't fill available appointments and has had to scramble to use up doses at the end of the day when they've held walk-in events. It looks like the 16-17 group is going to be tough to reach. Even parents who are vaccinated themselves are expressing reluctance to have their kids vaccinated before there's a longer base of information about the vaccine. A couple of high schools in my area shared "get vaccinated" posts on social media only to end up deleting them under a barrage of parent and community complaints.

Same here in AZ. Supply of vaccines are exceeding demand. I think by the end of next month everyone who wanted one will have gotten one. I don’t see how much further we can go with reopening at these vaccination levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter