• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using one-time use points at 7 months

🍀TwinsMom

Mouseketeer
So I am planning a 2-bedroom at our home resort, Riviera, for early December of 2022. If the borrowing restrictions aren't lifted, I'm going to need the OTUPs to get the full week I want. I'm looking to tack on a standard view night on either a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to extend the trip a full week. Which day stands the best chance of being available at 7 months you think?

Should I book Friday-Thursday, and add the Friday to the back end at 7 months?

Saturday-Friday, and hope for the Saturday at 7 months to open up?

Sunday-Saturday, hope for the Sunday at 7 months?

One part of me says that the weekend books up first. The other part of me says that I used to book 2 bedrooms places Sun-Thurs more often to save points. December is probably going to be hard to get at 7 months.

I guess that's not much help at all, sorry. :o

Early December will most likely be sold out by the 7 month mark. I don’t have any history as far as Riv to go on but historically early December is sold out in all categories before the 7 month mark other than a stray day here or there. If I were you I would try to seek out a transfer from another member so you can book at the 11 month mark…. Many people will be walking rooms for early December unfortunately and I would suggest you have the points ready to book then.

So I am planning a 2-bedroom at our home resort, Riviera, for early December of 2022. If the borrowing restrictions aren't lifted, I'm going to need the OTUPs to get the full week I want. I'm looking to tack on a standard view night on either a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to extend the trip a full week. Which day stands the best chance of being available at 7 months you think?

Should I book Friday-Thursday, and add the Friday to the back end at 7 months?

Saturday-Friday, and hope for the Saturday at 7 months to open up?

Sunday-Saturday, hope for the Sunday at 7 months?
First off, I would book a dedicated 2BR because the studio side of a lockoff is going to go fast...probably before 7 months.

Then, I would choose to book the most popular nights. Those would be Sun. - Thurs. nights. If you can afford more points, then add Saturday at the beginning and hope that Friday night stays open. The lower point nights will likely book first.

Early Dec is when it will likely be difficult to get an extra night at 7-months out, particularly for anything standard view at Riviera. Dec 1 through 7 is typically the highest DVC demand week of the year (makes Easter look like the slowest of off-seasons), and the second week is third highest. Be aware that getting a standard view 2BR at Riviera for time in those weeks, even at 11-months out, is not a guarantee, as they have some risk of disappearing quickly after 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out.

Chances of getting an extra day at 7-months out will likely be low (e.g., all standard views, including dedicated 2BRs, were shown as filled for Dec 1 through 7 at just before 8 a.m. on May 1 at 7-months out for 2021), and particularly since you have to buy OTUP's to reserve it, which require calling MS to purchase and get the day, and thus cannot be done before 9 a.m. eastern at 7-months out, but as far as days of the week go, Fri and Sat often last longer than other nights of the week, while Sun can often be the least probable night to get.

Last edited:
First off, I would book a dedicated 2BR because the studio side of a lockoff is going to go fast...probably before 7 months.

Then, I would choose to book the most popular nights. Those would be Sun. - Thurs. nights. If you can afford more points, then add Saturday at the beginning and hope that Friday night stays open. The lower point nights will likely book first.
I definitely would be doing a dedicated 2-bedroom.

I was thinking Sun-Thursday would be best days to snag in the equation. Maybe we should fly in the night before and just stay at the airport and drive in fresh from MCO. Hmm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter