USD Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

I've bumped up a number of the most recent threads about US Credit Cards, Canadian Debit cards and so forth..

You'll see them here in the Canadian Forum on the first screen.. near the top!

Knox

I've bumped up a number of the most recent threads about US Credit Cards, Canadian Debit cards and so forth..

You'll see them here in the Canadian Forum on the first screen.. near the top!

Knox

For a minute there, I thought that I'd stepped into some strange Twilight Zone where all the threads are eerily similar (and all about the US dollar at that!). Thanks for clarifying Knox!

Well, I finally got my BMO MasterCard on Friday. I was a little (a lot) disappointed in the credit limit - $1K. Don't they know how much I like to spend when I'm at Disney :laughing: Reminds me of when I got my very first credit card. Too bad I can't transfer some of my credit from my Canadian A/M card onto this one ... oh well.

Well, I finally got my BMO MasterCard on Friday. I was a little (a lot) disappointed in the credit limit - $1K. Don't they know how much I like to spend when I'm at Disney :laughing: Reminds me of when I got my very first credit card. Too bad I can't transfer some of my credit from my Canadian A/M card onto this one ... oh well.

theres an 800 number on the back of the card. give them a call and they can raise your limit right over the phone.
on the other extreme, when i received mine they had given me a $12,000 limit.:scared1: i mean really. i like to spend but come on!:laughing:

Alternatively, let's say you wanted to spend $2,500. You could pay $1,500 on the card before you go & then that gives you the ability to charge up to $2,500.

At least, I'm assuming it will work the same as the Cdn one. When I got my BMO Cdn Mosaik MC (about 8 years ago) the limit was only $500! I just prepaid on it, and was able to pay for something that was over $500 with no problem at all.

Thanks for the replies tinkone and CindyCan! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens. Is it going to be bad for my credit limit to ask for a credit increase? I've never really asked for one before - with my Canadian MC, it's always been automatically raised every so often.

Thanks for the replies tinkone and CindyCan! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what happens. Is it going to be bad for my credit limit to ask for a credit increase? I've never really asked for one before - with my Canadian MC, it's always been automatically raised every so often.

there should be not problems and it will not be bad for your credit in anyway. they will look at it while you are on the phone and since they have already done the credit check when they got the original ap they will be able to yeh or neh it right away. sometimes they do not know people need it for travel. we have had a large infux of apps because people want to do things over the internet and only want a small limit to minimize an internet fraud.
you'll be ok but let me know how you make out.:flower3:

We've merged these threads into one and 'stuck' it at the top of the forum since this comes up a LOT.. (along with the cell phone and flying out of Buffalo/Detroit stuff..)

LOL ~ I only wanted $500 to pay for my shore excursions and stuff and when I look at my paperwork they gave me $7500!!!! :rotfl: That is a little scary :eek: ~ I'm a single mom and could see me getting carried away at the World of Disney Store!:thumbsup2

Alternatively, let's say you wanted to spend $2,500. You could pay $1,500 on the card before you go & then that gives you the ability to charge up to $2,500.

At least, I'm assuming it will work the same as the Cdn one. When I got my BMO Cdn Mosaik MC (about 8 years ago) the limit was only $500! I just prepaid on it, and was able to pay for something that was over $500 with no problem at all.

Got to watch about paying large amounts on to a credit card when you don't have a balance like it. I was going to do this, but banks look at this as money laundering. Wouldn't try it.

As for using ATM, transaction fees apply like $2.50 per when you are in US.

I have a BMO MC with $10 000, so it depends on your credit history, and they aren't likely to increase it as soon as you get the card. If you mainitain good history from the time you get it, perhaps six months down the line can you ask for an increase.

O.K. this might be a silly question but if you have a US card, how do you pay it in US funds. Do I need a US bank account??

Got to watch about paying large amounts on to a credit card when you don't have a balance like it. I was going to do this, but banks look at this as money laundering. Wouldn't try it.

As for using ATM, transaction fees apply like $2.50 per when you are in US.

I have a BMO MC with $10 000, so it depends on your credit history, and they aren't likely to increase it as soon as you get the card. If you mainitain good history from the time you get it, perhaps six months down the line can you ask for an increase.

i work in a bank and i can tell you that people pay large amounts in advance all the time. we have snow birds who do this because they don't want to be bothered having to make a payment while they are away for 3-6 months and do not know how much they spend.
as for the increase, if you were to call and tell them why you wanted the increase (going on a trip) they may increase it now. that is as stated above, it all depends on your credit.:flower3:

O.K. this might be a silly question but if you have a US card, how do you pay it in US funds. Do I need a US bank account??

you don't have to have a us acct but it is handier. you can purchase the us funds at the time you wish to pay the bill. you still have the advatage of not paying the 2.5 percent premiun.
i say go with a us acct. that way you can buy when its low and have it ready for use when you need it for your vacations:cool2: .

Here's a bit of a crazy question regarding exchanging currency for the best deal, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this...

First, what is the most economical method of exchanging currency:

Straight exchange at your bank/exchange house, etc. - call around for the rate of the day type deal and go there.
Open up a U.S. Dollar account and electronically transfer Canadian dollars into that account - later, withdraw the cash in U.S. funds from that account.

After doing the cheapest of the above options, we have the advantage of living close enough to the border that we drive into the U.S. every once and a while. We are close enough to a Disney Store to go there and purchase Disney Gift Cards.

Apparently, the Disney Gift Card can be used virtually everywhere on property except some of the "carts" - no big deal for us. Also, you can call Disney and use a Gift Card to pay off your vacation package.

So, since we are planning to go, use Magical Express and never leave Disney property while we are there (although I know we'll need a little U.S. Cash), would it make sense for us to go the Gift Card route? It seems to have the added benefit of budgeting how much you will spend - and while I realize that you can't get cash back off the card, I'm sure we could get close enough to make this worthwhile.

we applied online for the US BMO m/c. had it within 10 days. All set for our next US holiday.
Great advice....thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter