US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

298a256e12c9be33c7bd6f940f093689

You're missing the point. They want to celebrate regardless of what the critics say. They have continued to do so since G1 of the tournament. Their behavior hasn't changed. So, no, they don't care what you or the critics have to say. If they had stopped celebrating, then that would have showed they cared.

Considering they aren't aware either of us exist, nor do they make a habit of reading this message board, they don't care what you have to say either.

I'm not missing anything. I'm viewing things as they actually are. And I'm not going to be made to apologize for it by people wanting to view our team through rose colored glasses. I expect the same behavior be it man, woman, my team, the rivals of my team, whoever. Remember all the Lance Armstrong fans on this very board that refused to believe he did anything wrong until he admitted it despite all the things that were coming out and piling up against him and despite the fact he failed several tests? Some of them still said he was railroaded after he admitted it to Oprah. I'm pretty sure I could find a Lance doesn't care what his critics think post or two. Doesn't matter. In the end, his critics were right.

Last edited:
Considering they aren't aware either of us exist, nor do they make a habit of reading this message board, they don't care what you have to say either.

I'm not missing anything. I'm viewing things as they actually are. And I'm not going to be made to apologize for it by people wanting to view our team through rose colored glasses. I expect the same behavior be it man, woman, my team, the rivals of my team, whoever. Remember all the Lance Armstrong fans on this very board that refused to believe he did anything wrong until he admitted it despite all the things that were coming out and piling up against him and despite the fact he failed several tests? Some of them still said he was railroaded after he admitted it to Oprah. I'm pretty sure I could find a Lance doesn't care what his critics think post or two. Doesn't matter. In the end, his critics were right.
So wait, you're comparing celebrating goals to taking illegal performance enhancing drugs?

Lance Armstrong? Why not mention OJ Simpson's critics too? They were also right.

So where are people watching this other than at home? For the quarters and semis I primarily watched at bars, including one while I was traveling (watched some on my phone) and another at a restaurant where I had lunch. The former had a good set of people really interested, including chants of USA and the latter had a server was at least wearing a USA men's jersey.

Several places in San Francisco are showing it on big screens, including at the San Francisco Civic Center. Avaya Stadium where the San Jose Earthquakes play showed every match of the WWC with free entry and parking. I believe they make money on concessions. Closer to my home, the (University of California) Berkeley Art Museum is showing it on their big outdoor screen. Not sure what relation they have to the game, but I'm thinking of going to that one because it's closer to home.

Outdoor-Screening_World-Cup_2018-07.jpg

So where are people watching this other than at home? For the quarters and semis I primarily watched at bars, including one while I was traveling (watched some on my phone) and another at a restaurant where I had lunch. The former had a good set of people really interested, including chants of USA and the latter had a server was at least wearing a USA men's jersey.

Several places in San Francisco are showing it on big screens, including at the San Francisco Civic Center. Avaya Stadium where the San Jose Earthquakes play showed every match of the WWC with free entry and parking. I believe they make money on concessions. Closer to my home, the (University of California) Berkeley Art Museum is showing it on their big outdoor screen. Not sure what relation they have to the game, but I'm thinking of going to that one because it's closer to home.

Outdoor-Screening_World-Cup_2018-07.jpg

Alex Morgan attended UC Berkeley

Alex Morgan attended UC Berkeley
I was aware of that. I was at Haas Pavilion for a game when I saw a picture of her on the wall of scholarship athletes. She was dying her hair back then. I was thinking, who's this blonde girl? That might have been back around 2007 or 2008.

However, the campus art museum showing sporting events on a big screen is something a bit different than if it were shown at the campus arena or stadium. They've apparently shown assorted things there including the 2016 World Cuo.

I was aware of that. I was at Haas Pavilion for a game when I saw a picture of her on the wall of scholarship athletes. She was dying her hair back then. I was thinking, who's this blonde girl? That might have been back around 2007 or 2008.

However, the campus art museum showing sporting events on a big screen is something a bit different than if it were shown at the campus arena or stadium. They've apparently shown assorted things there including the 2016 World Cuo.
Good museums regularly offer new and inventive ways to connect with their community.
I think it is a great idea!

Good museums regularly offer new and inventive ways to connect with their community.

Especially when an alum is a star player. Not sure why this was confusing to bcla.

Libraries also now offer more than books. Yoga class, tai chi, sci fi meet and greets, etc.

They show all sorts of things there including political debates and big speeches. I think they need to close off the street to do that, but it's kind of a side street.

The old brutalist art museum is still standing, but that was in more of a location that students used. The new building was intentionally designed with a screen that faces the street.
Especially when an alum is a star player. Not sure why this was confusing to bcla.

Libraries also now offer more than books. Yoga class, tai chi, sci fi meet and greets, etc.
I really don’t think it has much to do with Alex Morgan. They’ve shown many other events on this screen, but I was surprised that they’d be showing sports of any kind. They’ve shown other soccer games before.

I’m at the site now. Good crowd although it’s a bit cold. They’ve closed off half of the street on this block and had tow away signs on parking meters.

I really don’t think it has much to do with Alex Morgan. They’ve shown many other events on this screen, but I was surprised that they’d be showing sports of any kind. They’ve shown other soccer games before.
OK, I'll bite... you know they've showed other soccer matches before, but you're surprised they show sports?

OK, I'll bite... you know they've showed other soccer matches before, but you're surprised they show sports?
I was kind of surprised they showed sports at all. But what was getting at was that Alex Morgan’s place on the USNT roster has nothing to do with whether they showed it at UC Berkeley’s art museum.

I was kind of surprised they showed sports at all. But what was getting at was that Alex Morgan’s place on the USNT roster has nothing to do with whether they showed it at UC Berkeley’s art museum.
While possible, unless you know someone at the museum who told you that, you don't know it. And again, if they've shown other soccer matches, why were you surprised they showed WWC?

While possible, unless you know someone at the museum who told you that, you don't know it. And again, if they've shown other soccer matches, why were you surprised they showed WWC?
I said that I was surprised that they would show any sports at an art museum.

I said that I was surprised that they would show any sports at an art museum.
There will always be the usual opportunity to stop by and tour the museum and galleries. And if that is all a visitor wishes to do that is fine.

It sounds like your demographic may not be the target audience for special events and new ways to access and enjoy museums.

I see value in museums making creative connections to current events. How wonderful they screened the WWC to be enjoyed by all who came.

There will always be the usual opportunity to stop by and tour the museum and galleries. And if that is all a visitor wishes to do that is fine.

It sounds like your demographic may not be the target audience for special events and new ways to access and enjoy museums.

I see value in museums making creative connections to current events. How wonderful they screened the WWC to be enjoyed by all who came.
I think it might have more to do with trying to be relevant to the public in general. There was controversy over this museum being built on this site and the possible use of eminent domain. The addition of the outdoor video screen for free public events might have been something done to help with that controversy.

And there's actually an article on this. I noticed a photographer going around taking photos and even asking some people for the names to be placed in photo captions.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...r-stage-as-Berkeley-crowd-cheers-14077595.php
gallery_xlarge.jpg

The photo is kind of odd too. I took a few photos that included the screen, and they have this weird look like it's a low-res video game.

I think it might have more to do with trying to be relevant to the public in general. There was controversy over this museum being built on this site and the possible use of eminent domain. The addition of the outdoor video screen for free public events might have been something done to help with that controversy.

And there's actually an article on this. I noticed a photographer going around taking photos and even asking some people for the names to be placed in photo captions.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...r-stage-as-Berkeley-crowd-cheers-14077595.php
gallery_xlarge.jpg

The photo is kind of odd too. I took a few photos that included the screen, and they have this weird look like it's a low-res video game.

The article is just reporting on spectators gathered in one place to watch the game, as they do in bars and pubs. Doesn't explain why this venue is a peculiar place to gather for the World Cup game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter