US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

Well, I did it...changed my Orlando flights to Vegas. My daughter and I will rent a car and do a road trip, hiking and avoiding people. I don't think I'll be comfortable in a crowd for quite some time yet and even though crowds are "low" these days, there will still be way way more people there than I've seen since this all started. We'll give it a few years and go back when covid is (hopefully) in the rear view mirror and the new Universal park opens. Until then, I think we'll stick to road trips and hiking. In the meantime, I'll be reading trip reports and getting a grasp on how this genie system will work. BTW....still feeling great after my third dose. Bill Gates continues to chirp away day and night (doesn't the man have a job or some hobbies?) but it seems the microchip has lodged somewhere near my feet so he isnt quite as loud anymore. I can finally get some sleep. Happy travels to everyone.
Red Rock Canyon is a place you could stop at just outside Vegas. There are places you can stop and have a picnic with a nice view. We didn't hike so I'm not sure what opportunities are there for that but i do believe there are places you can do that in there. They do have a visitor center too. There's a fee to enter but I don't remember it being too much.

There is a great article on the CBC website today with very promising research being presented for those of us who have an AZ/MRNA mix.

Of note, the researchers say again that they have presented their findings to the US to help make a determination on allowing us in with mixed vaccines. If they follow the science to make their decision we will be fine to enter. But when those decisions will be made is anyone’s guess still. I’m feeling somewhat hopeful yet.

Has anyone seen how we will show proof of Vaccination for travel within Canada? I am in BC so we have the QR code we show to go into restaurants etc. Or will it be the actual vaccination card?
All any of us can do is show whatever verification our own province has provided. We all really need a federally synchronized official proof of vaccination scheme.

There is a great article on the CBC website today with very promising research being presented for those of us who have an AZ/MRNA mix.

Of note, the researchers say again that they have presented their findings to the US to help make a determination on allowing us in with mixed vaccines. If they follow the science to make their decision we will be fine to enter. But when those decisions will be made is anyone’s guess still. I’m feeling somewhat hopeful yet.

link

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cana...s-mixing-matching-covid-19-vaccines-1.6205993

I know this is quibbling and off topic, but I have a question about the "interpretation" of the stats in the article. Not arguing the accuracy of the stats or about vaccines, just questioning the verbage used to interpret the stat. Is it correct?

It says, "That means for every 100 unvaccinated people severely ill in Canadian hospitals, 95 of them could have been prevented by receiving two doses of either the AstraZeneca-Oxford, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, or some combination of the three. "

I thought the stat of 95% actually meant that of every 100 unvaccinated people severely ill in Canadian hospitals, 100 of them had a 95% chance of having been prevented by receiving the two doses.

So, not that out of 100, 5 would still be there. Each person has a 95% chance of a good outcome, not 95 people out of 100 will have a chance.

I know we often think of those stats the way the article stated it, but is it accurate?

I know this is quibbling and off topic, but I have a question about the "interpretation" of the stats in the article. Not arguing the accuracy of the stats or about vaccines, just questioning the verbage used to interpret the stat. Is it correct?

It says, "That means for every 100 unvaccinated people severely ill in Canadian hospitals, 95 of them could have been prevented by receiving two doses of either the AstraZeneca-Oxford, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, or some combination of the three. "

I thought the stat of 95% actually meant that of every 100 unvaccinated people severely ill in Canadian hospitals, 100 of them had a 95% chance of having been prevented by receiving the two doses.

So, not that out of 100, 5 would still be there. Each person has a 95% chance of a good outcome, not 95 people out of 100 will have a chance.

I know we often think of those stats the way the article stated it, but is it accurate?

I look at it like this. If the studied percentage of people that should get the disease is 2% and the efficacy of the vaccine is 95%, then the new percentage of vaccinated people that should get the disease is 0.05 x 0.02 which is 0.001 or 0.1 percent. So instead of 2000 people getting sick in a group of 100,000 people, now only 10 people will. So effectively, it is saving 1990 people from getting sick.

I think their verbiage is correct because they are starting with the people who are already sick which would be the group of 2% or 2000 in my example above. So we would take 95% of that sick group to determine the number that would probably not have gotten sick if they had been vaccinated.

I could be completely off base, but that is how I always interpreted it.

Last edited:
And now my turn to help, si de you seem to like being condescending.

At NO point, based on her summary, was the poster asked for her vaccinations. The MCO folks are required to ask for vaccinations. The end.

Now bugger off if you don’t know how to be polite.

MCO does not need to ask about vaccinations. Canadians do not need to be vaccinated to enter Canda. Vaccination status changes what happens on arrival (testing, quarantine etc.) but does not change whether or not you can get in if you are Canadian. Which the airline new the OP was since she would have shown her passporet at check in.

The end.

So, has there actually been any announcouments (or even rumours) about rules changing for Canadian residents when rules change for European residents (and some others)? I actually tend to think that they’ll leave things the same for Canadians (including, sadly, no land crossings), at least for a little while. Candadian residents and European residents have been treated differently all through the pandemic.

*Non-US citizen residents (US citizens have always been allowed in from either).

So, has there actually been any announcouments (or even rumours) about rules changing for Canadian residents when rules change for European residents (and some others)? I actually tend to think that they’ll leave things the same for Canadians (including, sadly, no land crossings), at least for a little while. Candadian residents and European residents have been treated differently all through the pandemic.

*Non-US citizen residents (US citizens have always been allowed in from either).
No 😭😭😭

This sadly means that this Maman is stuck doing TGiving (Grand-mère actually bought & stashed 2 turkeys in my deep freezer - 1 for turkey soup which I made yesterday and one for turkey dinner tomorrow) 😒

We had just started going to Kalahari in Ohio over TG weekend in 2019 and it was such a relief to eat out and actually relax ☹️

No 😭😭😭

This sadly means that this Maman is stuck doing TGiving (Grand-mère actually bought & stashed 2 turkeys in my deep freezer - 1 for turkey soup which I made yesterday and one for turkey dinner tomorrow) 😒

We had just started going to Kalahari in Ohio over TG weekend in 2019 and it was such a relief to eat out and actually relax ☹

Sadly, I cannot make it home for Thanksgiving either (though that it more about living 4,000 miles away and less about COVID-19). I'm a little hopeful of making it to friends in the US for their Thanksgiving (since I can take a week off then).

I'll try to find the very sad "Thanksgiving dinner" I had my first year living here when a local restaurant offered to have something special on their normal Sunday brunch buffet for Canadians. It was basically steamed turkey breast and blueberry sauce. We were all very sad (though someone had imported President's Choice chocolate chip cookies which helped).

ETA - found it.

Attachments

• 43335345_10161009956100584_3955372383753207808_n.jpg
    43335345_10161009956100584_3955372383753207808_n.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 4

Yes, you can say that (assuming you did the analysis correctly, of course). If each person in the group has a 95% chance of not getting hospitalized, then, on average*, out of 100 people, 95 of them won't get hospitalized.

*Actual number, of course, may be not 95 (I didn't see confidence intervals, so not sure how "noisy" the results are expected to be.

Sadly, I cannot make it home for Thanksgiving either (though that it more about living 4,000 miles away and less about COVID-19). I'm a little hopeful of making it to friends in the US for their Thanksgiving (since I can take a week off then).

I'll try to find the very sad "Thanksgiving dinner" I had my first year living here when a local restaurant offered to have something special on their normal Sunday brunch buffet for Canadians. It was basically steamed turkey breast and blueberry sauce. We were all very sad (though someone had imported President's Choice chocolate chip cookies which helped).

ETA - found it.
Oh that is such a sad little plate 😬 I don’t understand my mother’s TG obsession. She’s forgotten that Belgians don’t do TG 🙄

Oh that is such a sad little plate 😬 I don’t understand my mother’s TG obsession. She’s forgotten that Belgians don’t do TG 🙄

Clearly, neither do the French. But the buffet also had raclette stations, so all was forgiven.

I saw this on Twitter yesterday and well… 🤢
(Yes this is a real thing 😳). Happy TG everyone! We can’t travel freely yet, but at least we’re not eating this for Thanksgiving dinner (hopefully no self respecting Canuck would)!2A220A8B-B2BC-4599-8EA7-326B69DBBCBF.png

I saw this on Twitter yesterday and well… 🤢
(Yes this is a real thing 😳). Happy TG everyone! We can’t travel freely yet, but at least we’re not eating this for Thanksgiving dinner (hopefully no self respecting Canuck would)!

Oh good golly. I thought you were a nice person but you are clearly EVIL!

Several posts have had to be removed from this thread.

PLEASE review the covid discussion policy thread pinned at the top of this forum for over 4 months now. This policy has not been changed and still needs to be followed.

DISboards COVID-19 discussion policy - effective 06/06/2021

Sorry, Doc.

Yes, all of the press coverage regarding the upcoming change for international travelers arriving by air to the US needing to be vaccinated includes Canadians in that change - i.e. it will also apply to Canadian residents.

The US government has indicated they want a standardized set of rules instead of different rules for different countries. I read that as: if your country is on the list that is allowed to travel to the US by air, there is one set of rules re: vaccination, testing, quarantine. And some countries will not yet be allowed to travel by air to the US yet [but as additional countries get added to the "allowed to fly to US" list, they would follow the same rules the others do].

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter