US air versus American???

antkim

<font color=teal>"Easy to love"<br><font color=dee
Any preference and why? I am going to book one of them for our upcoming trip to Aruba(10th anniversary!) and they are both right arounf the same fare and same flight times.....so which one is preferred?

Kim

I prefer USAirways but I don't think you can go wrong with either one. 95% of my travel is on US.

great...I think that is who I am going to go through. My SIL travels tons for works and definately prefers US over AA. Now, the fare they are offering is pretty high but I expected that considering it's a non stop to Aruba. What happens if they offer a discounted fare between now and Dec.? Will they give me the better rate? Give me credit towards another flight?

Thanks!

Kim

I prefer AA. They've consistently treated me better in recent years.

Definately AA. They have more leg room. It's only an inch or two but it makes a big difference. Because of that most of their planes have newer interiors.

Oh no....now I'm torn! LOL If AA has more leg room that might be better. Dh is tall and on a 4 1/2 hour flight that can be tough! I even considered First Class for a brief moment...then I saw the price! :scared1:

Kim

AA is returning its planes back. They no longer have the extra room unless you find a plane that hasn't been changed.

And AA's plan is to have all of the seats added back to the planes by June 2005. I'm not sure if they're on schedule, but as Safetymom indicated, I wouldn't choose AA just hoping you'll get extra leg room.

Just to give you the other side of the equation....

I only fly AA if there are NO other options LOL! (I will pay more to avoid them... they burned one too many bridges with me!)

A question like this is loaded. No airline is perfect and I have horror stories on just about all of them.

Air travel has become a comoodity business... not much difference between AA, Delta, USAir etc... expect your luck of the draw.

Well, I still have not booked but I think I am going with US! No one has said anything specific against US here....but you have expressed disappointment in AA....as has my sister.

Anyone have any idea if it is better to book now for a Dec. flight to Aruba or wait? I am thinking in this case I better book early!

Kim

Antkim - I would say book now for Aruba. I don't know what fares you've found (or where you are flying from) but it's always expensive. My family goes every year (for about 15 years now). For their January trips, they usually have their tickets by June at the latest. And sadly, the fares from NY are around $850, typically.

So my advice would be to book earlier rather than later. I'm not a fortune teller :confused3 but I doubt that fares will dip that much lower if you wait.

Where are you staying? I just LOVE Aruba and I'm so excited for you!! :Pinkbounc If you are a newbie there and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. If I don't know the answers, I'm sure my family will :)

P.S. I've flown both AA and USair and I have no preference. A flight is a flight to me :teeth:

Isn't US airways on the verge of bankruptcy fo rthe past 2 years? They were the airline with so many problems at Xmas, right? If it is I would put that into the equation. If they go belly up yes you get your money back but I'am sure the fares will be thru the roof. Just IMHO.

DisOrBust said:
Isn't US airways on the verge of bankruptcy fo rthe past 2 years? They were the airline with so many problems at Xmas, right? If it is I would put that into the equation. If they go belly up yes you get your money back but I'am sure the fares will be thru the roof. Just IMHO.

Yes, USAir has been under bankruptcy protection for a while now. They just this week announced a merger with America West, which will bring them out of bankruptcy protection.

I agree with CarolA, air travel is a commodity now. There really isn't much difference in the product offered (especially amongst the "legacy" carriers -- Delta, American, Continental, US Air, United, Northwest, etc.) You'll have good experiences on all of them, and you'll have bad experiences on all of them (most likely).

CarolA said:
I only fly AA if there are NO other options LOL!
I only fly if there are no other options. There is no such thing, IMHO, as a high quality airline service -- they're all pretty comparably low quality, and we just have to pick the least bad.

A question like this is loaded. No airline is perfect and I have horror stories on just about all of them.
Me too. <shudder>

gw_lit said:
Yes, USAir has been under bankruptcy protection for a while now. They just this week announced a merger with America West, which will bring them out of bankruptcy protection.
Well, which they hope will bring them out of bankruptcy protection. Surely, their future looks brighter today than last month, but they are not yet out of the woods.

I'm so confused! LOL Maybe I should just stick with AA due to the bankruptcy
thing? AHHHH!!! This is a lot of money to be playing around with!

Kim

They may not be out of the woods yet but other airlines are having the same problems. I wouldn't worry about USAirways at this time.

bicker said:
I only fly if there are no other options. There is no such thing, IMHO, as a high quality airline service -- they're all pretty comparably low quality, and we just have to pick the least bad.

Me too. <shudder>

Please keep in mind that my concern over AA has nothing to do with safety or anything. (I just got cussed out once by a gate agent who lied to me and didn't like it when I went and got her boss LOL! I am willing to forgive a lot, but AA went through a period in Nashville where RUDE was thier middle name... when I complained I was told... "we are worried about our jobs" Now... let me see.... being rude to customers and driving them to another airline will keep you employed??? :confused3 LOL! SW is now the dominate carrier in Nashville... wonder if there is a connnection.)

bicker said:
Well, which they hope will bring them out of bankruptcy protection. Surely, their future looks brighter today than last month, but they are not yet out of the woods.

It WILL bring USAir out of bankruptcy protection, since America West is buying USAir in the merger. The real question is, will the new merged company be able to stay out of bankruptcy?

As far tickets, I wouldn't worry about losing your money with USAir even though they are currently under bankruptcy protection. None of the major airlines are in real great shape financially.

I'd just buy with which ever company you feel comfortable with... maybe look out which has more flights per day from your location to Aruba, that way if you have bad weather, and flights are delayed or cancelled you have more chances to get to Aruba or get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter