Upgrading 11 year old ticket?

locodemickey

DIS Veteran
I tried posting to the Theme Park sticky on upgrades but it wouldn’t let me, so I’m hoping someone here can help me. I have a 10 day park hopper (that must be used in a 14 day period). The cast member that I talked to over the phone said that the value was somewhere over $200 from 2008. I would like to upgrade to a Gold AP. If I use it for one day and then upgrade it, is it worth the current value of a 10 day park hopper? If I can only get $200 out of this ticket, I would rather use it as a 10 day park hopper (for someone in my family that doesn’t stay as long as we do in the summers) than upgrading it to an annual pass. TIA

I tried posting to the Theme Park sticky on upgrades but it wouldn’t let me, so I’m hoping someone here can help me. I have a 10 day park hopper (that must be used in a 14 day period). The cast member that I talked to over the phone said that the value was somewhere over $200 from 2008. I would like to upgrade to a Gold AP. If I use it for one day and then upgrade it, is it worth the current value of a 10 day park hopper? If I can only get $200 out of this ticket, I would rather use it as a 10 day park hopper (for someone in my family that doesn’t stay as long as we do in the summers) than upgrading it to an annual pass. TIA
Where was the ticket purchased?

There are a lot of "ifs" here. First, it can only be upgraded if it is an unused ticket. Tickets can only be upgraded for 14 days from first use. Second, if it was purchased 11 years ago it might be a no expiration ticket. I would check on that "must be used in 14 days". If it is a no-expiration it is worth its weight in gold and I would save it for future trips. Third, if it is an unused ticket, there is no need to use it before you upgrade. Using it makes absolutely no difference. Make sure they upgrade the ticket first to gate price, then upgrade to the gold pass.

It is still sealed in plastic from, I think, Undercover Tourist since that is the only place I can remember buying from 3rd party. I know it is valid since a cast member at the ticket info phone number confirmed. Are you saying that I would get current value for a 10 day park hopper? That would be beyond amazing!

I recently upgraded over the phone a 5 day ticket (no park hopper) that I bought in 2015 or 16 to an AP. I was able to get $310 (I think).

I had read here
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/pricing-bridging-annual-pass-ticket-upgrade/
that tickets purchased pre- February 2018 ticket increase, should be worth hate price just before that increase.

I think if you google 2017 February Disney ticket price, you should be able to get a good idea of what your ticket should be worth. If they don’t offer you that (or close to that), I would call back later, and hope to get someone different on the phone.

ETA: Here are 2017 ticket prices:
https://touringplans.com/blog/2017/02/12/walt-disney-world-ticket-pricing-breakdown/
I didn’t get quite what was on this page, but it was close enough that I thought it was reasonable.

Thanks for the information! Do I need to look back to 2017 because it’s the last time they had this same ticket? Is this the value I should get? https://touringplans.com/blog/2017/02/12/walt-disney-world-ticket-pricing-breakdown/ $515?

This would be the page to get the info from: https://web.archive.org/web/20160715112900/http://allears.net/pl/ticketchart.htm

It appears the the amount includes tax so figure the price of the AP less $499.49. You do not need to use the ticket prior to upgrading but do go in knowing what you expect to be paying.

The Feb 2017 date is when they began adding expiration dates to the tickets. The older 3rd party tickets were "frozen" at the 2016 prices.

If you don't like the answer you get on the phone, and have the ability to wait until you arrive, it's probably best to go to Guest Relations to get the most complete answer. I think they can be more creative. For example, I had an old 3 day park hopper (paper with 1 day left) from 1984 and Guest Relations in EPCOT was able to convert it to a 1-day park hopper that I was able to give to my DD (who wasn't even born in 1984). Even though used tickets are not transferable, their logic was that since the ticket was so old the rules back then wouldn't really consider giving a leftover day to a family member as being a real transfer. I had to do it this way because the first advice was to just have my DD use the ticket in it's original form. Problems with that 1) would the tapstile attendant really know what the paper ticket was?, 2) my DD would be too young to really have a partially used 1984 ticket, 3) we wanted a ticket that could be linked to her mde.

The guest relations inside on the left at EPCOT is good. At MK if you are already in the park, it's best to go to the one behind/next to Sleepy Hollow. It's not nearly as busy as the front.

I'm wondering what they would do with a physical ticket purchased in 1999 that originally was a 10 day park hopper with 5 days of pleasure island and 2 days of water parks included? There's no park days left, but at least 3 pleasure island and both water park admissions are still on there. This ticket has no expiration date, and isn't recognized as a valid ticket in MDE because it's so old. I guess they could allow me to use the water park admissions pretty easily, but how would they handle admission to something they closed more than a decade ago?

I'm wondering what they would do with a physical ticket purchased in 1999 that originally was a 10 day park hopper with 5 days of pleasure island and 2 days of water parks included? There's no park days left, but at least 3 pleasure island and both water park admissions are still on there. This ticket has no expiration date, and isn't recognized as a valid ticket in MDE because it's so old. I guess they could allow me to use the water park admissions pretty easily, but how would they handle admission to something they closed more than a decade ago?
I've had tickets like this. Your water park days and pleasure island days get upgraded to a Park Hopper but all that would remain are Plus Options (mini-golf, water parks, etc). Hopefully that makes sense. They also have to be assigned to an individual they told me once I did the conversion but they would never expire (well they set some arbitrarily late expiration date). I think the pleasure island stuff I had to ask to be moved over to a generic plus option.

What they have done is when something closed then the entitlements were generally moved to something else. As mentioned Pleasure Island entitlements would get shifted to the Plus that would allow water parks and the walking golf course. I think they may have added an allowance for mini golf too? It used to allow for Disney Quest but when that shut down that changed. It's been a shifting category over the years.

You do not need to use the ticket prior to upgrading but do go in knowing what you expect to be paying.
Can't stress this enough!! DHS Guest Relations was going to charge me $319 to upgrade a 6 day PH (2012) to Gold AP. When I questioned the price difference, he told me that you only get what you paid for the pass, and that they no longer bridge passes.
So the next day we went to Epcot where GR bridged the pass, and I paid only the difference of $116.
Also be careful if you have old passes that you are unsure of - if the pass shows zero days left & you thought otherwise, hold onto the pass & have it checked again another day. I had written on the back of some old passes the amount of days remaining, yet when one GR typed in the numbers, she found zero days remaining. Thankfully, my daughter suggested we keep the passes (the CM had tossed them in the trash), because another GR found days remaining on them.

[
Also be careful if you have old passes that you are unsure of - if the pass shows zero days left & you thought otherwise, hold onto the pass & have it checked again another day. I had written on the back of some old passes the amount of days remaining, yet when one GR typed in the numbers, she found zero days remaining. Thankfully, my daughter suggested we keep the passes (the CM had tossed them in the trash), because another GR found days remaining on them.[/QUOTE]

I find this really disturbing. How can this even happen??

We have old 10 day non expiring passes from 2006 with only 5 extra fun days left I went to customer service and ask if I could upgrade to a gold pass I was told no credit would be given for that ticket, I could still use the fun days but no upgrade was that not correct?

We have old 10 day non expiring passes from 2006 with only 5 extra fun days left I went to customer service and ask if I could upgrade to a gold pass I was told no credit would be given for that ticket, I could still use the fun days but no upgrade was that not correct?
No that is correct you have to upgrade a ticket that has been used in the first 14 days after usage. So offering you the fun days as the only option was the correct answer.

Even tho it was a non expiring ticket
Ah okay I mis-read the non-expiring ticket part. What happens here is your AP expiration date is set to 1 year from the first date of usage for sure anyways. So if they did upgrade you would be immediately expired.

Also did you use any of the Fun days? If you used a fun day (or what is the plus option now) the ticket you upgrade to must include them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter