Upgrade fail

Hi all

We were thinking about price bridging some tickets next year to dvc annual passes-the thing that everyone seems to be saying is 'do your homework and know what you should pay' however I'm slightly confused as to how to work it all out can anyone give me some simple examples to help?!

Subtract the NEW gate price of the ticket that you HAVE, from the NEW gate price of the ticket that you WANT.
You pay the difference (plus 6.5% tax on the difference) for the upgrade.

(It doesn't matter what you PAID for the ticket that you HAVE at the discounter. That's what the "price-bridging" takes care of.)

Thanks robo- so because you can't buy a 14 day ticket from the gate-does that mean the ticket can't be bridged ?

Therefore meaning that you can only bridged discounted tickets up to 10 days?!?

Thanks robo- so because you can't buy a 14 day ticket from the gate-does that mean the ticket can't be bridged ?

Therefore meaning that you can only bridged discounted tickets up to 10 days?!?

It does not have anything to do with being at the gate or not.
The "gate price" just means the "current full price that day."

Tickets bought directly from Disney (UK tickets are sold by Disney) are not price-bridged.

You CAN upgrade the UK tickets to APs, but you will pay the difference from what you originally PAID for the UK ticket
and the cost of the new AP. No cost savings over just buying the AP to begin-with.
Your upgraded AP will have a start-date back-dated to the first day that you used the UK ticket at the park gate.

Thanks-so basically no savings to be made-some 3rd party places offer the 14 day for 7 UK ticket so they are not from Disney direct-we just didn't know if it would be worth 'more' than just a direct like for like. So at the moment from what I can gather the park saver 4 day ticket with 3 free days seems to be the biggest saving for a ticket to price bridge?

With the exchange rate being so poor at the moment any savings we can get is better than nothing for our few trips over the next 2 years!!

Thanks-so basically no savings to be made-some 3rd party places offer the 14 day for 7 UK ticket so they are not from Disney direct-we just didn't know if it would be worth 'more' than just a direct like for like. So at the moment from what I can gather the park saver 4 day ticket with 3 free days seems to be the biggest saving for a ticket to price bridge?

With the exchange rate being so poor at the moment any savings we can get is better than nothing for our few trips over the next 2 years!!

It's the "Adult 7 Day Magic Your Way Park Hopper Ticket--3 Days Free."

This may not be directly related but could explain her problem some. We are Florida Resident Platinum Plus Pass Holders. We agreed to take our niece with us on Spring Break. I ordered her a 7 day base ticket directly from Disney's web site. Not being certain her Mom would pay all the money owed I went the cheapest route with the intention of upgrading on arrival. Our plans were to split our days with Water Parks in the morning and Theme parks in the afternoons. Well to my utter surprise the $69.00 water park upgrade posted on the ticket window at Typhoon Lagoon is not correct. To add the 7 days water park option would actually cost me $115.00 plus tax. They explained it was because there had been a price increase and there was no such thing as bridging for tickets bought from Disney. I had to pay the increase first before the upgrade. Moral of the story never buy tickets from Disney unless they are required with a package. Had I bought from a third party they would have gladly bridged the price.

Just a quick question, so I know I'm doing the calculation correctly. I do or do not include the tax I paid for my ph tickets when subtracting them from the ap price?

Just a quick question, so I know I'm doing the calculation correctly. I do or do not include the tax I paid for my ph tickets when subtracting them from the ap price?

The resulting difference price will be the same if you treat all ticket prices the same...
Either ALL include tax for the calculation, or NONE include tax for the calculation.

Current ticket price (including tax)
minus
Wanted ticket price (including tax)
equals
Difference price (INCLUDES tax)

-or-

Current ticket price (w/o tax)
minus
Wanted ticket price (w/o tax)
equals
Difference price (ADD 6.5% tax)

Both calculations will yield the same result.
(Give it a try.)

Ok, I'm confused a bit but learning. I don't have APs or anything.
I purchased 2 day base tickets from the Disney website back before the tiered system (February or March).
We now wish to add hoppers. I called to do it on the phone and told me that only CMs onsite can (yeah, I didn't know lol). She quoted that the price would be about $58 per person.

Is this also considered price bridging if I got the tickets before an increase? And if so, how do I calculate what the phone CM is true?

Edit: I'm reading how to do calculations but it's just not clicking. Math is not a forte of mine.

We are thinking of upgrading our DVC 25th anniversary tickets to APs this December. I would just buy the APs now especially before a likely increase this fall but we do not want platinum APs but Gold APs. What I plan to do is use our base tickets and then on the last day, Dec. 22 upgrade them at DAK to a gold AP. I do not want to pay $400 more for the platinum APs for my family. I was told I should be able to do this but I would not be able to re-enter the park until after the black out dates. Just checking to make sure this is still the case and likely scenario I should expect? Since I will already be inside the park at time of upgrade, where do I go? or do I upgrade them on my way out of the park at the ticket window? Does the ticket window close before the park does?

What I plan to do is use our base tickets and then on the last day, Dec. 22 upgrade them at DAK to a gold AP. I do not want to pay $400 more for the platinum APs for my family. I was told I should be able to do this but I would not be able to re-enter the park until after the black out dates. Just checking to make sure this is still the case and likely scenario I should expect?

1. Since I will already be inside the park at time of upgrade, where do I go? or
2. do I upgrade them on my way out of the park at the ticket window?
3. Does the ticket window close before the park does?

1. You can go to the inside-the-park Guest Relations (at DAK, it is just to the right of the front gates, as you exit,) or...
2. You can, if you like.
3. I'd not wait until after park closing to do the upgrade.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm confused a bit but learning. I don't have APs or anything.
1. I purchased 2 day base tickets from the Disney website back before the tiered system (February or March).
2. We now wish to add hoppers.
3. I called to do it on the phone and told me that only CMs onsite can (yeah, I didn't know lol).
4. She quoted that the price would be about $58 per person.

5. Is this also considered price bridging if I got the tickets before an increase? And if so,
6. how do I calculate what the phone CM is true?

Edit: I'm reading how to do calculations but it's just not clicking. Math is not a forte of mine.

1. Price bridging is NOT done for tickets purchased directly from Disney. (Phone, website, in-person.)
2. You can do that.
3. Yup. In-person at WDW.
4. I don't know what you originally paid, so I don't know what it will cost you now.
5. It would be, if you had bought from another source than Disney. (See #1.)
6. You must pay for the ticket price increase AND the cost of the hopper upgrade.
Subtract the cost of the HOPPER version of your ticket (the day that you upgrade) from the cost that originally
paid for your current ticket.
Pay the difference.

(Yes, you are being "penalized" for buying your tickets directly from Disney.)

So I am getting a lttle confused...

I am planning to upgrade my 6 day PH to a DVC gold annual pass when we go next week. I am on a Free Dining package. I thought that I would have to pay : 133.13 for each upgrade.
Since
DVC gold AP $584.69 minus gate price for 6 day PH 451.66 is 133.13

Now from what I have been reading I did not pay 451.66 since Disney travel purchased it at a lower price and price bridging is not allowed on packages. Or does it depend what CM you get to help you? Not sure what to do and what it will cost?

So I am getting a lttle confused...

I am planning to upgrade my 6 day PH to a DVC gold annual pass when we go next week. I am on a Free Dining package. I thought that I would have to pay : 133.13 for each upgrade.
Since
DVC gold AP $584.69 minus gate price for 6 day PH 451.66 is 133.13

Now from what I have been reading I did not pay 451.66 since Disney travel purchased it at a lower price and

1. price bridging is not allowed on packages.
2. Or does it depend what CM you get to help you?
3. Not sure what to do and what it will cost?

1. Price bridging
IS
allowed on packages.
As has been stated, (and as you just restated) tickets bought as part of a WDW resort package are NOT considered as purchased "directly from Disney."

2. Well, THAT is always the case as to whether you get a knowledgable CM, or not.
3. Follow the many posts above about how to figure upgrades WITH Price Bridging.
(Post #81 and #94 will work.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter