Updated w/ Disney response. Confirmation email and reciept are jokes! Beware

I gave my opinion earlier without indicating what I do for a living. Lets just say that based on our professional rules in order to do so I would have to draft a 10 page disclaimer prior ;)

Agreed. Inppropriate to offer an opinion on if it has merit so I shyed from going that far but with all the arguments about legality in this situation going back and forth here I wanted to point out she has the option to consult an attorney who practices in this area because it is complex and they can better sort through any potential options.

I think Disney service has gone downhill. I filed a complaint and it took them over 3 weeks to respond and then they told me they would get back to me and they never did.Horrible!

I am just astonished that there are arguments asking why the average disney goer would have to account for thousands of dollars of their vacation money when booking with Disney...What??

Why is it not on the person to verify what they are being charged? I have only planned my disney vacations a couple of times and know exactly what my money is being spent on. If it isn't laid out in front of me...I ask. I know that if I get free dining , I will be paying full price for the room.

Computers mess up. It could have messed up the other way. It could have charged a 9 night package when a 7 night one was booked. Would it have been realized that it is kind of expensive for a 7 night package?

Im not saying the OP knew.. and I understand Disney messed up and quoted her the wrong price. But from what I read..disney did try and resolve some of it by giving her a gift card, extra fp and ice cream?

There were two mistakes here.... Disney's computer glitch and the OP not knowing what she was buying. There has to be some responsibility here.

It's not like you booked for 7, paid that price, and then got a confirmation with 9 days listed... and then said "oh goody, a mistake, now I get 2 free days, woo!"

You booked for 9. You paid the specified price. You got confirmation.
Then their system kicked it back.
That's on them. They should be responsible for giving you what was promised.

What if you couldn't afford the extra 600? What if you'd also already bought plane tickets?

"Computer glitch" is a fat load of doo doo. That's just an excuse.

I wouldn't have given them the extra on the first place, but as you did, you deserve a refund. And likely a perk for all the drama.

Btw anyone condemning you for trying to get something for free is being a gigantic jerk. Js

slzer0 said:
I wouldn't have given them the extra on the first place, but as you did, you deserve a refund. And likely a perk for all the drama.

Best I can tell, the OP has only given Disney a $200 deposit. That's all she would/could be refunded. Disney doesn't owe her $681, or $3,899, because she hasn't paid either of those amounts. Either side can still back out of the arrangement with no penalty; I'm sure there's something on the confirmation or online indicating under what pricing error conditions the merchant can cancel the transaction.

"Computer glitch" is a fat load of doo doo. That's just an excuse.

Well, given that there isn't a sudden rash of incidents like this and that she booked online, to what do you attribute the error?

My Point is ..shouldn't you know what your spending your money on and what it should come out too?

The OP specifically said she shouldn't have to question every detail and that you get a bill and that's it. I don't understand that philosophy.

Why should she get a refund after paying the money for a 9 day trip? From what I understand ..Disney did give her some perks. What was it..a $200 gift card? Which means op still gets a discounted 9 day trip because Disney screwed up.

If OP can't afford the extra $681..then op can stick with the 7 day vacation. I believe OP only put a deposit down?

My Point is ..shouldn't you know what your spending your money on and what it should come out too?

The OP specifically said she shouldn't have to question every detail and that you get a bill and that's it. I don't understand that philosophy.

Why should she get a refund after paying the money for a 9 day trip? From what I understand ..Disney did give her some perks. What was it..a $200 gift card? Which means op still gets a discounted 9 day trip because Disney screwed up.

If OP can't afford the extra $681..then op can stick with the 7 day vacation. I believe OP only put a deposit down?

I think that many people don't know or price things out first and second - when they DO price things out, they expect things what they are given to be correct. Actually - my inlays are exactly this way! They just said to book a trip and tell them how much it costs. I lowered the cost yesterday with a promo opening at POFQ and I am sure they won't even notice when they check out if its the correct amount.

I don't know if this is about affordability. I think it's about principle. Now - all that being said - I do think that the disney offer of credit and FPs is very generous and should be considered a suitable response if 681$ is the difference in price for 2 nights. If infact 681$ does NOT represent the proper price at the promo rate that the OP booked (let's say it was no longer available), that would be a different story!

No, it's not. The discount she got is the dining plan free promotion.

Frankly I'd be triple-checking a package quote giving me air and hotel for minimally more than just the airfare. That's over a 60% discount.

Yes, really. Disney processes several thousand reservations daily. They allegedly made a mistake with one confirmation.

Hey, Kaytieeldr, I don't know from where you are coming up with any of this stuff that is quoted to me, above, but I never posted ANY of this. Apparently there's a glitch here on the DISboards, too.

(And I'll beg to differ with you- yes, she got a discount because she got a free dining plan, but I bet that she also has a discount on the ticket price… Disney discounts tickets when they are rolled into a package- info courtesy of my BIL who used to work for TDTC.)

When I contact a business of any kind and I'm told a price then I expect that price to be honored. I don't care if I buy a car or whatever, I don't expect to be told one price and to be given a quote and then to be told later that my price is wrong.

This was for a package and I could see someone not sitting down and breaking down the different elements of a package. For one thing it's not their responsibility to double check prices, it is the responsibility of whoever is selling. Besides Disney offers pins all the time and those can bring down room rates.

I do agree that this is (hopefully) just a one time glitch and no one should worry that it will happen to them.

I totally understand what you are saying... I think your inlaws trust you enough to make the plans though.. But I bet you knew what you were paying..

Im just saying that people can't always lay blame elsewhere..if someone is just booking blindly and taking Disney's computers word for it..then I think that is part of the problem

I think that many people don't know or price things out first and second - when they DO price things out, they expect things what they are given to be correct. Actually - my inlays are exactly this way! They just said to book a trip and tell them how much it costs. I lowered the cost yesterday with a promo opening at POFQ and I am sure they won't even notice when they check out if its the correct amount.

I don't know if this is about affordability. I think it's about principle. Now - all that being said - I do think that the disney offer of credit and FPs is very generous and should be considered a suitable response if 681$ is the difference in price for 2 nights. If infact 681$ does NOT represent the proper price at the promo rate that the OP booked (let's say it was no longer available), that would be a different story!

Hey, Katieeldr, I don't know from where you are coming up with any of this stuff that is quoted to me, above, but I never posted ANY of this. Apparently there's a glitch here on the DISboards, too.

(And I'll beg to differ with you- yes, she got a discount because she got a free dining plan, but I bet that she also has a discount on the ticket price… Disney discounts tickets when they are rolled into a package- info courtesy of my BIL who used to work for TDTC.)
Oops, you are SO right - about the quoting part ;). I'm going to fix it in a minute.

Best I can tell, the OP has only given Disney a $200 deposit. That's all she would/could be refunded. Disney doesn't owe her $681, or $3,899, because she hasn't paid either of those amounts.

I just looked at my email confirmation, and it says quite clearly: "All prices are in U.S. dollars and are subject to change until package is paid in full."

Businesses are not charged for a one time mistake. After all people forget that computers for a large part only spit out what a human has programmed into them. If the error is brought to the attention of the business and then still isn't corrected, that is when they show an intent to defraud and will be fined.

I side with Disney now, when it has been one poster that has had this problem. If others start posting about having the exact same thing happen, then it becomes time to get out the pitchforks. Not now when it was one glitch.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), businesses are charged for a one time mistake. I know this from personal experience. It can be a fine through the consumer division or state regulations being tested in the court of law or a civil action by a consumer.

I had a similar issue with a WDW package phone quote over 10 years ago. Disney admitted the mistake but refused to honor it. I was frustrated and knew exactly what I had to do to fight it but I let it go. (We bought DVC that trip and don't need to deal with reserving through WDW anymore.) So it does happen but I'm not sure we have any idea how often as I suspect only a very small % will post it here.

I agree with the pp discussing laws being very pro consumer. What if a consumer was quoted an insurance policy for $300 for coverage 1/1/14 to 1/31/14 and the consumer accepted the quote and put down a $20 deposit. An email was received confirming these details with the normal quote disclaimers we see everyday in all industries. The consumer has an accident on 1/2/14 opening them to a $1mill exposure but the insurance company states there was a computer glitch and the original quote was incorrect so we made your policy effective 5 days later to reflect the correctly rated premium of $300. The consumer is left without coverage and personal exposure of $1mill. These are simplistic facts but the law again and again rules breach of contract claims in favor of the consumer as a matter of public polic in most cases. I know insurance law is much more regulated than the hospitality industry but feel this is a good analogy of product quoted vs product received judged on the reasonable person standard. (I know there is a debate whether a "reasonable person"should have known the package price was off by 15- 20%.)

While I believe the OP has a great legal case, Disney does not back down. I personally would take the deal because I don't have the time to fight on principle. It also would not make sense from a cost benefit analysis. Disney knows and counts on this which is why they take the calculated position they do. They are a machine - a machine that I continue to enjoy :) but not quite on the same frequency we once did.

Because of the price. The confirmation that was sent was priced for 7 days. Disney's system showed 7 days. When the OP went to link the reservation to MDE it showed 7 days. Everything points to 7 days except perhaps for the dates on the confirmation. But even if that shows 9 days, if the price shown is for 7 days then the buyer owes the difference. If Disney offers a package priced at $340 per day and the buyer wants 9 days, then the buyer owes 9 x $340. If a mistake is made and the confirmation shows a price calculated based on 7 x $340, then the buyer either accepts the deal for fewer days or pays the difference to bring the deal up to 9 days. Look at it like this. You go to the grocery store and place 4 apples in a clear plastic bag. The price is $0.30 a piece. At checkout the cashier initially thinks that there are only 3 apples in the bag and rings up $0.90. As she places the apples on the bagging belt she notices that there are actually 4 apples. At this point you have a choice. Either remove an apple so that the amount you buy corresponds to the price paid or agree to pay $0.30 more. You don't get to say: "gotcha! You only saw 3 so I get a free apple". Now, if the apples had been mispriced at the point of sale and were offered at 4 for $0.90 and the cashier tried to say that the price was wrong and they were really 4 for $1.20, then you would be within your rights to get the apples at the lower price. Indeed some state laws mandate that result. But here I have seen nothing that suggests that the unit price was wrong. Every system reflected 7 units at $340 per unit. When the confirmation came in and showed a price that was $681 shy, then the OP should have known that only 7 units had been charged and that there was an unpaid apple in the bag.

Look at it another way. You want to buy tickets only. You know that they cost $350 each. You place 4 in your on line shopping cart. At checkout your total shows $700 because of a glitch. When the tickets arrive in the mail there are only 2 in the envelope. You call Disney and they tell you that their system shows that you only bought 2. You tell them that your screenshot shows 4. The CM says that tickets are $350 each and that if you want two more you will have to pay $700 more. Pretty simple. Do you really think that Disney was offering you a contract to buy 4 for $700?

Now flip this so that in the example the computer showed a price of $175 per ticket. You buy 4 thinking that the total should be $700. Under this scenario, I side with the buyer (and so does the law).

To me it all comes down to whether the unit price was misrepresented (in which case the buyer wins) or whether there was a mistake in the number of units the buyer and seller thought was part of the transaction (in which case an adjustment is warranted).

Jimmy, I almost always agree with your posts on this board (I'm more of a lurker, so you wouldn't know!), but in this case I feel like you're missing an important aspect of the situation...that when purchasing a package, you're never given a per-night or per-unit rate of any kind. I just went through the whole process to make sure (up until the very final confirmation screen, anyway), and never once was I shown anything other than a single package price. Other people on this thread have confirmed that package confirmation emails also do not include a per-night breakdown. So even if it was always in Disney's system as a 7-day reservation with a 7-day price, if they never share the per-night rate with the customer, I don't see how the responsibility for knowing that per-night rate can be placed on the customer. Of course it's possible to individually price the components of a free dining package (do a reservation search for room-only to get the true per-night rates; add in the ticket costs, etc.), but that is in no way a straightforward and obvious process, and while many customers will do so in order to unearth the best deal, no one needs to do such research in order to book a package. And really, even if the OP had done that research, it's wouldn't have been unreasonable for her to think that a total price that was 15% less than she expected was anything other than a package discount of some sort or other.

To use your apples analogy: If the only price sign over the apples at the grocery store said "10 Apples for $2.50," and no unit price was posted, you might naturally assume that the unit price was $0.25 per apple. You would have nothing else to go on. Now, maybe you know that apples are usually $0.30, and you assume there's a deal if you buy 10, or maybe you just think they're always $0.25. In either case, you'd be surprised when you got to the checkout and were told they were actually $0.30 per apple, and that you owed an additional $0.50 for your ten apples, right?

I was amazed to learn that I could not purchase a Premiere Passport on the phone through DVC during the special pricing DVC offered this past Spring. Because I was going to use it at Disneyland first, I was told I had to purchase the ticket at Disneyland in person or I could drive to Disney World and go to Guest Services and purchased the reduced price Premiere before the deadline. This would have been a significant savings but I live in Maryland so flying or driving to Florida or California just to purchase tickets wasn't an option. This seemed extremely strange to me but even after calling a few different days to see if I was given another answer, I was not. So, no Premiere Passports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter