Can you use Amazon gift cards to purchase Visa gift cards?

I have received free Amazon gift cards through various outlets (Medscape surveys, Amazon Shopper Rewards panel, Fetch rewards, etc) and I want to apply my "free" money towards my Disney vacations. In the past, I've used it for grocery delivery via AmazonFresh, but for our upcoming trip, it is only 3 of us and we are only eating 3 breakfasts in our room. My estimated grocery order is going to be about $75 and that's if we really splurge. Right now, I have about $225 in Amazon gift cards so my current plan is to use the funds to purchase Uber or Lyft e-cards and use those funds as needed. I already have $50 in Uber credits (from e-Rewards) and my friend has $50 in Uber credits too so I am not sure how much more we will need.

I already have plenty of Disney gift cards funds for this trip, but for future trips, I am looking for ways to convert my "free" Amazon funds into Disney-specific funds. If I can buy Visa gift cards with the Amazon gift cards, then that is something I would definitely consider as an option for accumulating more "free" Disney money because I would simply use them to purchase Disney gift cards.
No, Amazon gift cards can not be used for Visa or MasterCard gift cards. From the terms and conditions:

"Your Amazon.com Balance cannot be used to purchase other Gift Cards, prepaid open loop cards, or certain third-party gift cards."

Prepaid open loop cards are visa and mastercard gift cards.

If you want to buy another gift card with an Amazon gift card, you would be limited to the 3rd party gift cards Amazon sells or you could purchase a happy treats gift card and purchase a Disney gift card at Gamestop. You probably would not be able to purchase a Visa gift card with the happy treats gift card at Gamestop, since the Visa gift card is going to have a fee so it will come out to $53.95 and you will only have $50 on the happy treats gift card. (Unless you can find a cashier to do a split transaction, but I wouldn't count on that).

Update: Martin's, Stop & Shop and Giant have been added

1694706197570.png

GIANT, Martin’s, Stop & Shop and Giant
  • Buy $500 Vanilla Visa Gift Card & Earn $25.00 in gas points ($1.00 X 25 gallons)
    • Activation fee $6.95
OR

Last edited:

Staples

1694708858167.png
  • Buy $200 Visa Gift Cards with no purchase fee
    • Limit 8 per customer per day
    • Weekly ad
    • Offer valid 9/17/23 – 9/23/23.
Credit Cards & More
  • Staples US Bank Offer:
    • Spend $1,000 or more in combined purchases and earn a $50 statement credit, OR
    • Spend $400 or more in combined purchases and earn a $25 statement credit.
    • Expires 10/31/23. Post #18861
  • Pay with a Chase Ink Cash or Ink Plus card to earn 5x Ultimate Rewards.
  • Discover 5% Q3 2023: Digital Wallet/Apple Pay
  • Alternative Payment Method with VV for DGC
  • Staples doesn't allow PayPal on gift cards purchases

So, here's a question. I booked a flight on Southwest with gift cards this morning. Then I found a flight on a different airline for $500 less per person. If I cancel the southwest one now, will the funds be put back on the gift cards? Should I wait for a day or two and I'm assuming get Southwest credit? I've never done it, just read about it. Could I use the credit for anyone or is it tied to the person who was on the reservation? So which option is better? Canceling now or in a day or so? Thanks for everyone's help.

So, here's a question. I booked a flight on Southwest with gift cards this morning. Then I found a flight on a different airline for $500 less per person. If I cancel the southwest one now, will the funds be put back on the gift cards? Should I wait for a day or two and I'm assuming get Southwest credit? I've never done it, just read about it. Could I use the credit for anyone or is it tied to the person who was on the reservation? So which option is better? Canceling now or in a day or so? Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm thinking you may have better luck posting your question on the Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here... thread.

I think your best option is to cancel right now within the 24-hour window. The Dept. of Transportation mandates all carriers to provide a full refund if the reservation is canceled within 24 hours. The refund should go back to your gift card and you can use for any future flights.

I think your best option is to cancel right now within the 24-hour window. The Dept. of Transportation mandates all carriers to provide a full refund if the reservation is canceled within 24 hours. The refund should go back to your gift card and you can use for any future flights.

That was a quick response! You peeps still amaze me :grouphug:

5% 4th Quarter Chase Freedom will be paypal, wholesale clubs, and select charities

Thanks for posting! I've added it on Post #3 Amazon & Credit Card Offers

Chase Freedom Q4 2023 Quarterly Categories: PayPal, Wholesale Clubs, Select Charities
Post #18942 :thumbsup2 @larry47591

Topic: Wholesale Clubs

BJ's Payment Methods:
Cash, Checks, MasterCard, Visa, BJ's Gift Card, American Express, MasterPass, Discover, PayPal, Apple Pay and debit cards if they carry the Visa or MasterCard logos. Direct link

Costco Payment Methods:
U.S. Costco warehouse locations accept:
  • All Visa Cards
  • The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
  • Most PIN-based Debit/ATM Cards
  • Costco Shop Cards*
  • Cash
  • Personal checks from current Costco Members
  • Business checks from current Costco Business Members
  • Traveler's checks
  • EBT cards
  • Mobile Payment (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay)
U.S. Costco Gas Stations:
Costco.com:
Please note: a U.S. or Canadian billing address is required for deliveries within the United States. Delivery options outside the U.S. can be found here.

*Costco Shop Cards can be purchased at any U.S. Costco location or on Costco.com.
  • Costco Shop Card (gift card) can be purchased in-club and Online with membership.
    • Online Denominations: $25, $50, $100, $250 and $500
    • Includes: Physical & eGifts. Physical gc are shipped free.
  • Costco gas codes as gasoline
  • Chase Freedom Visa: Buy Costco cash card in-club to earn 5%
  • Chase Freedom Mastercard: To earn 5%, buy a digital card online and use it to get an equivalent physical card in-club.
Sam’s Club Payment Methods: Accepts all major credit cards drawn from U.S. based accounts, excluding territories and/or municipalities. International credit cards are not accepted in club or online. Direct link

1694714234031.png

If I'm missing anything, please post. I'm not a BJ's member and I'm still new to Sam's Club.

Last edited:
In terms of Costco Shop Cards sold in-club, I bought a $25 CSC about two months ago, there was a homeless guy with a dog not wanting or asking for anything, anyway, I don't recall being told I could only buy $100 or $250.

I use the $200 Prepaid Visa/Mastercard gift cards that I get at Staples with my ink card to buy Costco cash cards and use those at the Costco gas station. (I have to do that because I don't have membership so I have to buy the cash cards on my sisters account.)

The biggest pain is if you only have a few dollars on the cash card you have to split your fill up into 2 transactions if you want to use a second cash card. And to make it more annoying, they used to sell the cash cards in the $200 denomination but for some reason they got rid of that so now there is only $100 or $250 so now I have to buy 2 $100 cash cards.

I absolutely believe what @bbsearchlight posted but I wonder if this is YMMV as I haven't purchased since.

In terms of Costco Shop Cards sold in-club, I bought a $25 CSC about two months ago, there was a homeless guy with a dog not wanting or asking for anything, anyway, I don't recall being told I could only buy $100 or $250.

I absolutely believe what @bbsearchlight posted but I wonder if this is YMMV as I haven't purchased since.
Yes, I meant to say online they used to have a $200 option for the physical cash card but they got rid of it. I buy the physical cards online and have them shipped to my house with free shipping.

Thanks for posting! I've added it on Post #3 Amazon & Credit Card Offers

Chase Freedom Q4 2023 Quarterly Categories: PayPal, Wholesale Clubs, Select Charities
Post #18942 :thumbsup2 @larry47591

Topic: Wholesale Clubs

BJ's Payment Methods:
Cash, Checks, MasterCard, Visa, BJ's Gift Card, American Express, MasterPass, Discover, PayPal, Apple Pay and debit cards if they carry the Visa or MasterCard logos. Direct link

Costco Payment Methods:
U.S. Costco warehouse locations accept:
  • All Visa Cards
  • The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi
  • Most PIN-based Debit/ATM Cards
  • Costco Shop Cards*
  • Cash
  • Personal checks from current Costco Members
  • Business checks from current Costco Business Members
  • Traveler's checks
  • EBT cards
  • Mobile Payment (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay)
U.S. Costco Gas Stations:
Costco.com:
Please note: a U.S. or Canadian billing address is required for deliveries within the United States. Delivery options outside the U.S. can be found here.

*Costco Shop Cards can be purchased at any U.S. Costco location or on Costco.com.
  • Costco Shop Card (gift card) can be purchased in-club and Online with membership.
    • Online Denominations: $25, $50, $100, $250 and $500
    • Includes: Physical & eGifts.
  • Costco gas codes as gasoline
  • Chase Freedom Visa: Buy Costco cash card in-club to earn 5%
  • Chase Freedom Mastercard: To earn 5%, buy a digital card online and use it to get an equivalent physical card in-club.
Sam’s Club Payment Methods: Accepts all major credit cards drawn from U.S. based accounts, excluding territories and/or municipalities. International credit cards are not accepted in club or online. Direct link

View attachment 793935

If I'm missing anything, please post. I'm not a BJ's member and I'm still new to Sam's Club.

For the Costco shop card, you can also earn 5% with the Chase Freedom Mastercard by ordering a physical card online and having it shipped directly to your house for free.

Yes, I meant to say online they used to have a $200 option for the physical cash card but they got rid of it. I buy the physical cards online and have them shipped to my house with free shipping.

Perfect, thank you. Do you see anything I might be missing with the post above? I'm trying to get out as much information before the 4th Quarter starts.

No, Amazon gift cards can not be used for Visa or MasterCard gift cards. From the terms and conditions:

"Your Amazon.com Balance cannot be used to purchase other Gift Cards, prepaid open loop cards, or certain third-party gift cards."

Prepaid open loop cards are visa and mastercard gift cards.

If you want to buy another gift card with an Amazon gift card, you would be limited to the 3rd party gift cards Amazon sells or you could purchase a happy treats gift card and purchase a Disney gift card at Gamestop. You probably would not be able to purchase a Visa gift card with the happy treats gift card at Gamestop, since the Visa gift card is going to have a fee so it will come out to $53.95 and you will only have $50 on the happy treats gift card. (Unless you can find a cashier to do a split transaction, but I wouldn't count on that).
Thanks for the heads up. Can the Amazon cards be used towards Uber/Lyft cards? If not, I still have the option to redeem some of my points for Uber directly, but since I never use Uber outside of my annual vacation, I don’t want to have too much.

Thanks for the heads up. Can the Amazon cards be used towards Uber/Lyft cards? If not, I still have the option to redeem some of my points for Uber directly, but since I never use Uber outside of my annual vacation, I don’t want to have too much.

Yes, Amazon gift cards can be used to purchase pretty much any 3rd party gift card that Amazon sells except for Amazon gift cards, and Visa/Mastercard gift cards.

Update: Martin's, Stop & Shop and Giant have been added

View attachment 793912

GIANT, Martin’s, Stop & Shop and Giant
  • Buy $500 Vanilla Visa Gift Card & Earn $25.00 in gas points ($1.00 X 25 gallons)
    • Activation fee $6.95
OR

This is excellent news, as Stop and Shop used to have these offers on Visa/Mastercard gift cards every 2 or 3 weeks and then they suddenly stopped 2 years ago, so it is great to have this back.

Stop & Shop has the option to either use the 1,000 points for $1 off gas (only up to 20 gallons) OR you can use them for $10 in free groceries. I find in NJ that the Shell stations where you can use the gas points are generally 40 to 45 cents more than the gas at Costco so you immediately lose almost half your savings. And I personally have a small car, so to me $10m in grocery savings ends up being worth more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter