So something else is bothering me,
Last year around October I felt lower back pain, the same pain I felt when I was bucked off my horse when I was in junior high many moons ago. In my house shoes are not allowed but I bought Hoka One One to wear just inside. I also started using a rubber matt in the shower to prevent falling down. And this past winter, I bought snow sneakers from LL bean for better control and support.

Yesterday, I went to see my doctor for the results of a bone density test. Turns out I'm in pretty bad shape, my lower spine and both hip bones are super weak. My spine is the worse and she really dove into that and scared the s#!t out of me. She told me One good fall and you could be in serious jeopardy, think long term care in a facility. Verbatim.

She prescribed meds and told me to start taking vitamin D with calcium and exercise with weights but didn't give example of exercises, recommendations or referrals.

I bought Garden of Life Code 50 and Wiser Women's Multi Capsules and Calcium & Vitamin D Bone Health.

Never mind, I called my insurance company and I don't need a referral for a Physical Therapist, I just need to call the right one within network. What a relief!

Though if I'm missing anything else that I haven't covered I'd love to hear your thoughts & suggestions.

So what, do I call my my insurance company and see if I qualify for Physical Therapy or a personal trainer to teach me proper form? What? I don't get it, I don't know where to go from here. I have arthritis in my hands so holding weights will be problematic.
I have done a lot of physical therapy over the last 5 years after a serious fall. I’m not sure where you are located but the facility I use here offers both traditional physical therapy and pool therapy in a warm pool. They have specialized equipment to work with patients with different types of injuries and limitations. They may give you bands to work with at home. I like the pool therapy as I find I’m less sore after a pool session but it still offers good resistance. It was still covered by my insurance. Hope this helps, and you can find some relief for your back pain.

Too lazy to go through the thread, but RMN has an 8% CB at ShopDisney, up to $50 back. Technically it doesn't include gift cards, but I've always, without exception, gotten a payout on cards bought through the RMN link.

I have done a lot of physical therapy over the last 5 years after a serious fall. I’m not sure where you are located but the facility I use here offers both traditional physical therapy and pool therapy in a warm pool. They have specialized equipment to work with patients with different types of injuries and limitations. They may give you bands to work with at home. I like the pool therapy as I find I’m less sore after a pool session but it still offers good resistance. It was still covered by my insurance. Hope this helps, and you can find some relief for your back pain.

I just called the OBGYN to get a referral and the tech suggested I go to dollar tree and pick up bands and leg weights. I explained to her I've never done anything with weights or bands and want proper guidance. She said, we just don't do that. I told her to ask the doctor because she was the one who recommended this form of exercise as part of my treatment.
:confused3 Really?! What is so difficult here?

I've also found them to be generally consistent other than the Black Friday weekend issue that many of us had.

I will say, I usually try to only buy if I also have guaranteed % off from an offer so that, if RMN doesn't track, I'm still not paying full price.
That's exactly what I do! But despite having a gizillion Chase cards in our household, none have a ShopDisney offer rn and none got the BB offer below. Sigh...
Amazon & Credit Card Offers

Best Buy Chase Offer: Get 20% Back at Best Buy, Up To $25 Back
Expires 5/25/23. DOC

I think I need to make a Target run just for this card!

I thought the same thing!!
FYI, just opened it, the card is not plastic, it seems to be cardboard. It is still sturdy, but not shiny like the plastic ones.

On the one hand I hope they start doing that with all the regular mickey cards because I always feel bad throwing out those plastic ones. But with the designs I keep, I do prefer the plastic to get the glossy look.

I just called the OBGYN to get a referral and the tech suggested I go to dollar tree and pick up bands and leg weights. I explained to her I've never done anything with weights or bands and want proper guidance. She said, we just don't do that. I told her to ask the doctor because she was the one who recommended this form of exercise as part of my treatment.
:confused3 Really?! What is so difficult here?

That it's an OB and not a GP. It's not what they do and you probably need a dr to refer you to PT before your ins will pay or at least before the PT takes you.

I say this as someone that tried to use that type of dr for a wellness visit and the dr faught me on it. That's when I started seeing a GP for everything included all that female stuff. It's just easier and it's all done at once. And because it's general medicine they will deal with stuff like this. You'll need to find and go to another dr for this.

That it's an OB and not a GP. It's not what they do and you probably need a dr to refer you to PT before your ins will pay or at least before the PT takes you.

I say this as someone that tried to use that type of dr for a wellness visit and the dr faught me on it. That's when I started seeing a GP for everything included all that female stuff. It's just easier and it's all done at once. And because it's general medicine they will deal with stuff like this. You'll need to find and go to another dr for this.

Got it. I can see that happening however, my OBGYN is an MD. She's the one who requested a bone density test and recommended exercise with weights. She should be able to make a referral but I will call my GP on Monday to get the referral. The place I want to go to is requiring it, otherwise it's OOP.

Thank you.

I have made changes in the house and with my routine, please if you think of anything I'd greatly appreciate it:
  • Don't walk the dogs at night - uneven surfaces.
  • Wear supportive sneakers in the house & outdoors
  • Use rubber matt while in shower & tub
  • DH & DS, carry anything up or down stairs
  • Use a nightlight in bedroom
  • Use handrails

I went through my cc offers as well as DH, though we have nice offers for things we don't need, unfortunately no Best Buy, Office Depot nor did we qualify for any bonuses (Chase or Amazon). :(

I have made changes in the house and with my routine, please if you think of anything I'd greatly appreciate it:
  • Don't walk the dogs at night - uneven surfaces.
  • Wear supportive sneakers in the house & outdoors
  • Use rubber matt while in shower & tub
  • DH & DS, carry anything up or down stairs
  • Use a nightlight in bedroom
  • Use handrails

With summer coming you may want to consider some sandals that have straps. I have high arches so I always have some sort of shoe on, plus are floors are always cold. My feet wouldn't be happy in socks and sneakers all summer 🙂

But I live in vionic sandals all summer. I wouldn't suggest the flip flops but I also love their strap sandals and just bought 2 new pair. I have walked all over WDW, DC and DLR in them without issue. I do use a blister block for the strap areas and do have moleskin on some of the straps but I find those easily solutions. Also because I don't wear the strap ones much outside of vacations so a tolerance never gets built up.

With summer coming you may want to consider some sandals that have straps. I have high arches so I always have some sort of shoe on, plus are floors are always cold. My feet wouldn't be happy in socks and sneakers all summer 🙂

But I live in vionic sandals all summer. I wouldn't suggest the flip flops but I also love their strap sandals and just bought 2 new pair. I have walked all over WDW, DC and DLR in them without issue. I do use a blister block for the strap areas and do have moleskin on some of the straps but I find those easily solutions. Also because I don't wear the strap ones much outside of vacations so a tolerance never gets built up.

Thank you afan! I'll definitely look into vionic sandals, I love their walking sneakers.

So something else is bothering me,
Last year around October I felt lower back pain, the same pain I felt when I was bucked off my horse when I was in junior high many moons ago. In my house shoes are not allowed but I bought Hoka One One to wear just inside. I also started using a rubber matt in the shower to prevent falling down. And this past winter, I bought snow sneakers from LL bean for better control and support.

Yesterday, I went to see my doctor for the results of a bone density test. Turns out I'm in pretty bad shape, my lower spine and both hip bones are super weak. My spine is the worse and she really dove into that and scared the s#!t out of me. She told me One good fall and you could be in serious jeopardy, think long term care in a facility. Verbatim.

She prescribed meds and told me to start taking vitamin D with calcium and exercise with weights but didn't give example of exercises, recommendations or referrals.

I bought Garden of Life Code 50 and Wiser Women's Multi Capsules and Calcium & Vitamin D Bone Health.

Never mind, I called my insurance company and I don't need a referral for a Physical Therapist, I just need to call the right one within network. What a relief!

Though if I'm missing anything else that I haven't covered I'd love to hear your thoughts & suggestions.

So what, do I call my my insurance company and see if I qualify for Physical Therapy or a personal trainer to teach me proper form? What? I don't get it, I don't know where to go from here. I have arthritis in my hands so holding weights will be problematic.
Sorry to hear all of this! I don't have any suggestions to offer really, but as someone with a severe permanent back injury from a car accident almost 8 years ago, I can certainly sympathize with the back pain. I had years of physical therapy and exercises that didn't do much for the pain. I finally dropped $5k on a new mattress just so I could sleep at night. And I have accepted that I have to wear good, sturdy shoes with lots of support. So now I spend a bunch on shoes and sandals, which are replaced about every 4-6 months or so, that I wear all of the time. I am never barefoot. We also have a no shoes in the house rule. So I have house sandals that I put on as soon as I get home.

I like Hoka, but am also a big fan of most Brooks GTS (Adrenaline and Glycerin are my favorites) and Asics Gel Kayano and GT-1000/2000. Just to give you a few more options.

Harris Teeter also has 4x fuel points on EVERYTHING today (need to “clip” the e-coupon). I have no idea what crazy math they are using, but I bought a $500 gift card and $42.56 in groceries and wound up with 3126 fuel points (should have been about 2170)!
I also went to Harris Teeter today and purchased groceries and gift cards and my fuel points are more than they should be. Unfortunately I will need to go back tomorrow because some items did not ring up for the correct sale price.

Sorry to hear all of this! I don't have any suggestions to offer really, but as someone with a severe permanent back injury from a car accident almost 8 years ago, I can certainly sympathize with the back pain. I had years of physical therapy and exercises that didn't do much for the pain. I finally dropped $5k on a new mattress just so I could sleep at night. And I have accepted that I have to wear good, sturdy shoes with lots of support. So now I spend a bunch on shoes and sandals, which are replaced about every 4-6 months or so, that I wear all of the time. I am never barefoot. We also have a no shoes in the house rule. So I have house sandals that I put on as soon as I get home.

I like Hoka, but am also a big fan of most Brooks GTS (Adrenaline and Glycerin are my favorites) and Asics Gel Kayano and GT-1000/2000. Just to give you a few more options.
Aww thanks buddy! Yes, love Hoka & Asics Gel. I have to get new shoes so I'll be looking into the ones you listed as well as sandals afan mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter