Oh, absolutely there are benefits to using credit cards over a Disney Visa Redemption Card. But I was specifically asking why I would use my Disney Visa Redemption Card to purchase a Disney Gift Card, as there is no additional benefit to a Disney Gift Card over a Redemption Card, and in fact, there is one less benefit since a Disney Visa Redemption Card will get you 10% off on certain things on Disney property and a gift card won't. Which is why I usually hold my Redemption Card and wait until I'm on property to use it. Speaking of, any of the restaurants on property which give you 10% off for using a Disney Visa card to pay (there are quite a few) will also give you 10% off if you pay with a Redemption Card. I think the merchandise locations on property that give 10% off if you use your Disney Visa will also give the 10% for the Redemption Card. That one I'm not sure of though. Because I always save my Redemption Card and use it to pay for our table service meals.

Like I said previously though, I was just trying to figure out what benefit there was to using a Redemption Card to buy a DGC, which I had seen several people mention doing. I now understand though, that the benefit is in using a cashback website like RMN because you'll turn your Redemption Card into a DGC plus have cash in your pocket. Granted, if you were planning to use your Redemption Card somewhere on property that would give you a 10% discount, then you really didn't accomplish much. But I guess I'd rather have that 10% as cash in my pocket from using RMN, than as a future discount on property.
Thanks @AmyMac1109 and @beldred I had no idea that you could use the Redemption to get the same 10% off that the Disney Visa provides.

However now that it has pointed out that I can use the redemption card for a gift card at shop disney and earn $$ back through the cash back sites I can then take that cash and rinse and repeat for more gift cards and more cash back :)

Thanks @AmyMac1109 and @beldred I had no idea that you could use the Redemption to get the same 10% off that the Disney Visa provides.

However now that it has pointed out that I can use the redemption card for a gift card at shop disney and earn $$ back through the cash back sites I can then take that cash and rinse and repeat for more gift cards and more cash back :)
Lol, you're welcome! It literally had not occurred to me to use the Redemption Card at Shop Disney for a DGC to get cashback, which is why I asked. But now that it has been pointed out, I'm like, duh! So I used my $250 Redemption Card balance to get $250 in gift cards and have $25 cash back pending at RMN. I'll plan to cash that and the rest of my balance out and use it again at Shop Disney when there is another high cashbback offer. I don't go back to Disney until end of January, so I'm hoping I can rinse/repeat at least once, maybe twice, before I go. If I can do it even once more before my trip, it will be worth more than the 10% discount I would have gotten on property. Worst case, I traded my 10% discount for 10% cash in my pocket, and I consider that a wash.

So happy to see this. I wasn't sure you could use Visa redemption cards for gift cards. Need to use my points before closing one of the cards. Thanks!
Just keep in mind that if you don't have the exact amount you need on the Visa GC, you can only split payment with a Disney Rewards redemption card. It won't let you split payment with another credit card.

Just keep in mind that if you don't have the exact amount you need on the Visa GC, you can only split payment with a Disney Rewards redemption card. It won't let you split payment with another credit card.
I only have a Disney Visa redemption card, no Visa GC. Can payment be split between redemption card and regular credit card?

Lots of recent discussion about using a Disney Visa Redemption Card to purchase a DGC through RMN at shopDisney. Just want to share that I tried it yesterday and received this today. ☹️ So it truly is YMMV.
I'm shocked! Mine went through and I have the cashback pending in my RMN account. Granted, they could always claw it back. But, they haven't yet.

Lots of recent discussion about using a Disney Visa Redemption Card to purchase a DGC through RMN at shopDisney. Just want to share that I tried it yesterday and received this today. ☹️ So it truly is YMMV.
which card did you buy? The 50th anniversary, the mickey card, something else?

which card did you buy? The 50th anniversary, the mickey card, something else?
I don't think I have ordered the mickey cards in a while... I just placed an order for a 50th card since I had 1 chase offer left. I'll place another order tonight with my redemption card for the mickey card to see what happens.

Reactions: Kir

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter