Upcoming first ever DVC stay, would love some suggestions and ideas.

Uncle_Sneeps

Earning My Ears
So we pulled the trigger and bought into Animal Kingdom directly from Disney last January, and are waiting patiently for December to come around so that we can take our first ever trip to Disney World as DVC members. We haven't been to Disney since our honeymoon in 2006, so its all very exciting. This first trip is going to be a full 2 weeks, but subsequent visits will be much shorter by comparison because were moving across the country next year to live in the Orlando area.. YAY!

In the meantime, I'd like to ask people ... is there anything (Activity, reservation, tour etc.) that you would consider an absolute "MUST DO" to celebrate your first stay as a DVC member? So far we've got Brunch at the Top reserved, were going to Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party, and plan on booking a Epcot Processional dining package.. is there anything else that someone would suggest that we shouldnt miss? All suggestions appreciated!

We loved the frozen dessert party at Epcot. But for free things I would visit the top of the would lounge for fireworks. Visit the Epcot lounge (nothing special but a place to sit, relax and get a cold drink. Check out Disney springs, maybe book a lunch there at homecoming (super good there). Maybe try mini-golf.

Check out member perks -- it will provide you with a list of discounts offered to members. It might give you some ideas on things to do.

You might want to check out the Wanyama Safari/dinner at Jiko. It's a bit expensive, but loads of fun. Plus the food was excellent.

Unfortunately being diabetic, unless we want our first stay to be our last, we should probably stay away from the dessert parties :)
Thanks for the lounge idea though will check it out.

1. Take the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness. It's a lovely "drive" around the resort where you can see all manner of holiday decorations. Many of the RVers and campers put out quite elaborate, themed decorations.
2. And that decorating theme leads to my second suggestion: resort hop to see the decorations at the various locations. In particular, I would make it a point to see AKL, VGF, and especially WL--the decorations and trees at these (and other resorts) will truly put you in the holiday mood. Personally, and I admittedly am biased, I would make WL the last resort to visit as it invokes the holiday tradition like no other resort can.

You might want to check out the Wanyama Safari/dinner at Jiko. It's a bit expensive, but loads of fun. Plus the food was excellent.

a) I agree, I really enjoyed the Wanyama Safari.

b) Always listen to Deb & Bill, because they are always right. (I have no idea who they are, but their advice is excellent.)

Oh wow. Two weeks. When dd was younger, we would do 10 days, and it was so luxurious.

One fun thing is finding your favorite restaurants. Try somewhere new each night. We still love Le Cellier, Yak & Yeti, 50s Prime Time, Crystal Palace, Coral Reef. Last year, we did a week for the first time in a long time. Even though Disney added alcohol to the DDP the same year dd turned 21, I decided against the DDP and was SO glad I did. That way, we were able to do more appetizers and less entrees and desserts (usually none) for TS meals. We found some new favorite places, such as Restaurant Marrakesh. A good side benefit to paying OOP was losing the CS meals. We found a beer and a small plate at a lounge was better than most CS meals. (We've never liked the CS dessers, and don't do soft drinks, so the DDP for CS was never worth it for us.) If you're at Kidani, Sanaa is awesome in many ways. I could make a meal out of appetizers at the bar, so no ADR needed. And they now have an early quick service breakfast, which was awesome. Oh, yeah, speaking of breakfast - Boma! (Since you bought direct, don't forget your DVC card for the discounts.)

Can you tell I love vacation because I don't have to worry about acquiring or preparing or cleaning up after meals?

I love AKV; I'm a big Kidani fan. I feel so relaxed there. I've always wanted to do the Waynama Safari, and have heard it's great. The halls are long, but its just cool. My dd went to Tanzania for one of her college courses, and she says that it really is a lot like some of the places that they stayed there, so how cool is that?

I'll amend as I find other things to recommend as a DVC member, other than the Top of the World Lounge for fireworks. But there are so many new things at Disney, just enjoy. Check out Pandora during the day and at night. Watch Avatar before you go, if you haven't. TSL is just adorable. As always, just relax and enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
<snip>
I love AKV; I'm a big Kidani fan. I feel so relaxed there. I've always wanted to do the Waynama Safari, and have heard it's great. The halls are long, but its just cool. My dd went to Tanzania for one of her college courses, and she says that it really is a lot like some of the places that they stayed there, so how cool is that?

</Snip>

I have heard from some very reliable sources over the years that the place in Tanzania was actually used as a partial model for AKL and Kidani. I had never seen a comment, direct or indirect; from someone that had been to the place in Tanzania. Interesting indeed.

I have heard from some very reliable sources over the years that the place in Tanzania was actually used as a partial model for AKL and Kidani. I had never seen a comment, direct or indirect; from someone that had been to the place in Tanzania. Interesting indeed.

I don't know that she was at the one they modeled off of, but she did say that the few that she stayed at were very similar. I expected her to scoff and say "it's not like the real thing!" but instead, she said that it was pretty true to what she encountered. That's cool.

I'm not sure about "must do's", but it is always fun to find something different or start a tradition. Do you have kids, or going as a couple?

I like the idea mentioned above about taking a picture in the same spot every year, that's great to look at them over the years. We have a bunch of things we like to do:
1. Rent bikes at Wilderness Lodge and ride them over to Fort Wilderness and spend some time there, pretty cool little place. But, I've heard the construction has closed that area, but renting bikes is always fun
2. Explore the Resorts- go to other resorts, walk around and get a feel for the different places, now that you are members, you might find resorts you really want to try
3. Non-Park Activities - rent bikes, boats, tours, I know I am being general, but not knowing what your family enjoys, that would be a decision for you. As much as we love the parks, Disney offers so many other things, we love to golf while we are there.

Take some time and read up on all the things to do, you'll find plenty!

I'm not sure about "must do's", but it is always fun to find something different or start a tradition. Do you have kids, or going as a couple?

I like the idea mentioned above about taking a picture in the same spot every year, that's great to look at them over the years. We have a bunch of things we like to do:
1. Rent bikes at Wilderness Lodge and ride them over to Fort Wilderness and spend some time there, pretty cool little place. But, I've heard the construction has closed that area, but renting bikes is always fun
2. Explore the Resorts- go to other resorts, walk around and get a feel for the different places, now that you are members, you might find resorts you really want to try
3. Non-Park Activities - rent bikes, boats, tours, I know I am being general, but not knowing what your family enjoys, that would be a decision for you. As much as we love the parks, Disney offers so many other things, we love to golf while we are there.

Take some time and read up on all the things to do, you'll find plenty!
Good suggestions, but the bike rental at WL is currently closed since there is no place to ride them. No path to FW = no need to rent bikes. Should only be another 2.5 to 3 years. . .sigh.

take in your resort, it is an AWESOME place......besides it is your "home"/ take it all in!

Robin & Angel "D"

So we pulled the trigger and bought into Animal Kingdom directly from Disney last January, and are waiting patiently for December to come around so that we can take our first ever trip to Disney World as DVC members. We haven't been to Disney since our honeymoon in 2006, so its all very exciting. This first trip is going to be a full 2 weeks, but subsequent visits will be much shorter by comparison because were moving across the country next year to live in the Orlando area.. YAY!

In the meantime, I'd like to ask people ... is there anything (Activity, reservation, tour etc.) that you would consider an absolute "MUST DO" to celebrate your first stay as a DVC member? So far we've got Brunch at the Top reserved, were going to Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party, and plan on booking a Epcot Processional dining package.. is there anything else that someone would suggest that we shouldnt miss? All suggestions appreciated!
That brunch is def a must do (we did it in March and OMG....so good). Maybe dinner at Tiffins too. The Xmas party...meh (we like the Halloween party better but you should still do it though a MK fireworks dessert party would maybe be better). The Candelight Processional is nice. Maybe a visit to the Top of the World Lounge. And the DVC member lounge at Epcot. Other lounges to visit: Trader Sams, Abracadabar, Tiffins Lounge if you don't want to do dinner at Tiffins restaurant. Staying at AKV...maybe do twilight dinner at Sanaa. We just did that and it was sooooo good. And loved seeing all the animals. Boma for breakfast is THE best breakfast on property.

There have been many great suggestions here. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but... My advice would be to relax and enjoy, don’t worry about missing anything. I often see people going through the parks stressed and over tired trying to do everything because this is their one trip to Disney. One thing I learned early on and am extremely grateful for is the fact that I know I will be back. We try to do the things we enjoy but if I miss something it’s no big deal because I know I will be back. DVC has allowed me to relax and enjoy the things we do without the worry of missing something. We have been members since 2007( I know I’m a baby compared to some of you) and we always enjoy our trips because we are never stressed trying to do everything and it seems we always discover something new that we had not done before. Good luck and enjoy I believe this has been one of the best purchases we have ever made.

Might have one. Consider buying a TIW Card? You are clearly going to the CalGrill Brunch.... hence, your desire for higher end dining is showing :).

Depending on where you wish to eat? Even your initial 2 week vacation MAY make a TIW card worth your while....

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/

I am sitting in the DVC lounge at Epcot as I write this. It is my first time here and it is awesome! Free drinks from the Coke freestyle machines, coffee, tea, computer monitors, etc.
definitely check it out!

Might have one. Consider buying a TIW Card? You are clearly going to the CalGrill Brunch.... hence, your desire for higher end dining is showing :).

Depending on where you wish to eat? Even your initial 2 week vacation MAY make a TIW card worth your while....

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/tables-in-wonderland/

I agree that you should look into the TIW card, we get one every year and we feel it has saved us a lot of money overall.

As others have said you should resort hop to see the pretty Christmas decorations, GF and WL are both very special and you can ride the monorail and boats to get to the resorts (fun thing to do). Last Dec the train setup at YC was very nice, Beach Club had a carousel made out of gingerbread and BW had a replica of the BW area made out of gingerbread, all were very enjoyable to see.

We like to take the boat from Disney Springs and visit other resorts like Port Orleans and OKW. I like to ride the boats and you get to see parts of WDW that you wouldn't normally see using other means of transportation.

One of our favorite "watering holes" is the bar/restaurant (I believe it is part of the Rainforest) that is located outside and behind the Rainforest at Disney Springs. You can sit there and people watch, enjoy the amphibious cars that run on the lake while enjoying a cocktail in the afternoon sun. Very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

I'm sure whatever you do you will have a great trip. Enjoy!pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter