Upcoming cruise but tragic news. What would you do?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Several people mentioned trip insurance. Did your parents have trip insurance for the cruise? If so - most policies will cover the single supplement if one person in the cabin can't sail for a covered reason. Your dad would pay the single supplement - which is the base fare for the 2nd passenger, minus the taxes. When the cruise ends, he would file a claim with the insurance company to be reimbursed for the extra expense.

If your parents didn't have trip insurance, then your dad would pay what he expected to pay, but without the taxes for the 2nd passenger.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss OP.
Whatever you all decide, it will be the right decision for your entire family.
My own suggestion is to go, make new family memories while cherishing the ones of past.

In Jan 29, 2017, we had a back to back cruise planned. But I knew my Dad may die before we went (He was in hospice with end stages of bone cancer. I asked my mom what I should do and she told me to keep the cruise. We had insurance and could cancel it so it wasn’t about the money. My Dad ended up dying Jan 11, 2017. Of course I was heartbroken, but my Dad was always the one that says, life goes on. So we went on the cruise. In the end, it was very cathartic for me. After all the sadness and all the funeral planning, the vacation was a nice break from the heart ache. I say go. November is a long ways away. You will feel considerably better by then. I am sorry for you loss. Losing a parent is never easy. Don’t forget to toast to the memory of your dear mother at dinner with champagne.

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Losing your mom is one of the hardest things to go through and the pain is deep. I lost my mom unexpectedly in February of this year. It’s been tough. We had a vacation planned 4 months later. It actually was over my moms bday. While I cried that morning, it was so nice to be somewhere else and have fun things to do. We toasted her at dinner and talked about her. I was so glad we did that together as a family. If I’ve learned anything with all this it’s that life is too short. We need to make those memories. The vacations with my mom and my family are some of my best.

Hugs to you as you guys make this decision.

First and foremost, I pray that you find comfort and peace with the wonderful memories you shared with your mom. Second, my mother has been gravely ill a few times in her life. If we had a trip planned at the time, she's always made an effort to stress to me that she wouldn't want me to cancel, if something happened to her. Once, she even told me that if she were to pass away before our upcoming trip, to let my sister go in my mom's (already paid) place.
You are right: it will be hard regardless of when you go again. Maybe a trip to celebrate her memory will bring your family peace and a chance to enjoy each other again (and making new happy memories will give your father a reason to smile). Best wishes!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. We went through an unexpected death in our family last Christmas so I can imagine how difficult this must be for you all. I'm not sure of the set up in your room but is there any chance your Dad could just move into your room, sleep on the sofa bed, and have your son sleep in the top bunk? Personally I think you should go since I'm sure your mother wouldn't want you missing something like that on her account. She probably would have wanted you to go and have so much fun.

Hi everyone,
I have been off the boards for a couple weeks but everyone's comments are so touching and I appreciate all of you so much. We have decided to go on the cruise. We made our final payment last week and booked activities on Friday. While I am happy we are going and we are all looking forward to it, it is so bittersweet. Even booking activities without her was very difficult as we always did it together. This cruise we had decided we wanted to try for a cabana since we're on CC for 2 stops. Unfortunately, only being a Silver member, I knew it would be a long shot and of course they are currently all booked, but I have vowed to check everyday and get on the wait list once on board. Hoping for a miracle!
Again, thank you all for the kind words, suggestions and support! Things are definitely get harder each day so it's nice to hear some comforting words here. I will post here after our trip too for anyone interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter