Unpopular Opinions- Wish Edition

For all if you who dislike the Wish, what would your ideal ship look like?
So, I haven't gone back through all 11 pages of the thread, but it started out as just aspects of the ship that didn't excite you. Saying that Frozen is overdone and the existing menu is disappointing is not the same as disliking the Wish. How can anyone dislike something that doesn't actually exist yet?

In answer to your other question, I still think that DCL needs more to offer for teens and tweens. While we don't know all the details of all the areas, I am not seeing lots of action type things for those older kids to do. As my own child gets older, I would like there to be more offerings for her. I also think there are too many screens in the clubs and it sounds like the Wish will be adding even more screen time all around the ship.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I think the ship looks great, especially the adult areas. The Cinderella piano bar and the Tiana lounge are perfect examples of things that I think Disney really does well. It's slightly themed with little touches of the background and not overly done.
Remember that, when this thread was started, none of that had been announced. At the time, all we had seen was the pool deck and Start Wars lounge. I also think the additional lounges sound great and the outdoor area of Senses is intriguing to me.

The reason I asked what would be an ideal ship is because so many have shown disapproval of pools, adult area, restaurants, entertainment areas, layout of the ship. And the actual ship hasn’t been “seen” yet. Only artist renderings. The Wonder and Magic are similar, the Fantasy and Dream are similar and people complain about them. I can see where the Wish has corrected some of the complaint areas and added new experiences and people still express unhappiness. I was curious as to what people DO want without repeating the experiences of the other ships.

I still think that DCL needs more to offer for teens and tweens. While we don't know all the details of all the areas, I am not seeing lots of action type things for those older kids to do.
It's ironic, our family had the exact opposite reaction to the Wish info. My daughter is starting to age out of the "princess" stuff, but she is more excited than I am to go on the Wish. For all the complaining people have done about a Marvel themed restaurant, my teenager can't wait to go!

The reason I asked what would be an ideal ship is because so many have shown disapproval of pools, adult area, restaurants, entertainment areas, layout of the ship. And the actual ship hasn’t been “seen” yet. Only artist renderings. The Wonder and Magic are similar, the Fantasy and Dream are similar and people complain about them. I can see where the Wish has corrected some of the complaint areas and added new experiences and people still express unhappiness. I was curious as to what people DO want without repeating the experiences of the other ships.

I am one of those talking about the adult area. My concern was that the only area that they showed us, that is on the upper decks, is very small and all in the sun. But I am reserving my judgement until we can see the whole ship. I would like to think that with how busy the adult area can get, that they would have an extended area, and not just that small area by the bar. My main concern is having shade on the loungers. That is the only thing that I am concerned with. I love Marvel and am looking forward to the new restaurant themes.

I hope at least one of the next two ships goes back to the Art Deco/Art Noveau style of the current ships. The “Magic Kingdom” at sea just doesn’t appeal to me ….
They already have 4 ships in that style. This is a new style. Same old thing can get boring

They already have 4 ships in that style. This is a new style. Same old thing can get boring

Considering it a style that’s been around for decades I don’t know if I would call it boring, but rather timeless.

I like a cruise ship themed like a cruise ship, not a collection of unrelated ideas. Joe Rhode is doing a great commentary on that over on IG.

I don't think my opinions are unpopular after reading a good bit of this thread:
  • Adult pool area looks too small--I love to lounge around the pool all day at least one day on my cruise. On the same level and close to the pool.
  • Themed restaurants with shows and such--the restaurants are already so loud and chaotic without this other stuff added in. Yes, my boys would have liked a Marvel themed restaurant when they were a little younger, but mealtime with them was already hard enough when they were younger. I would have liked to have seen more casual options available in the evening hours (other than burgers and pizza on deck).
  • I really dislike Frozen--this might be unpopular. It's not a good story. Elsa is not a good "hero." Enough with the Frozen already.
We're going on it in September 2022, and I am excited to see something new, but I'm not counting on it beating out my favorite, the Wonder.

We are always in the champagne bar on the Fantasy. It is full before second seating every night when they have piano or violin music.

I loved the champagne bar on the Fantasy and most of my cruises we had it to ourselves. I always felt bad it was so empty. Our last cruise in Sept. 2019 it was pretty busy. Sort of nice to have people to chat with and watch :)

Gotta say, I have friends on the Dream now doing livestreams and such and it is reminding me how much I LOVE the Dream - like 99.9% of it.

Based on what we have seen, the Wish is sitting at like 60% (basically the dining rooms and I’m the odd Duck who likes the adult pool area).

Going to do some serious thinking over the weekend.

I dont think Rapunzel has earned the right to adorn the back of the ship. I think this honor should go to an OG character.

I dont think Rapunzel has earned the right to adorn the back of the ship. I think this honor should go to an OG character.

Truly an unpopular opinion! :)

I think she is perfect given the princess-y tone of the ship (which she of course is contributing to) and her love of painting...

Tangled isn’t my favorite (though it’s definitely one of the best since the 90’s renaissance) but I like Rapunzel’s role on the Wish. It’s pretty cute to have her putting the finishing touches on the stern’s artwork!

For all if you who dislike the Wish, what would your ideal ship look like? It can’t look the same as the other Disney ships. It needs to be different.

Honestly after looking at various ships the last week (we thought about moving our Sept sailing elsewhere) there are a number of things.

First just from Disney on the Dream/Fantasy I liked that the adult pool bar (hub bub) was towards the middle and completely separate from the sun deck and satellite falls area.

You see other ships with more activities on board as well like laser tag, bumper cars, arcades, ect. We will see what more Disney will bring out if anything from that area.

You see other ships with a ship within a ship idea where the suite level is self contained with really nice pool areas, extra nice restaurant that rivals the other top places on board (example Palo level dinner but in the suite dining room).

You see ships with indoor solarium pools which should replace the Wonder going to Alaska. These indoor pools vary but could be open to all, adult only, or suite only.

You see ships with much more water play areas like bigger nicer slides and such. Example why couldn't Disney put in a giant drop slide along with the aqua mouse?

You see ships with better connected room types. Example on Celebrity Edge class ships (smaller than wish) they actually have suite rooms that are connected to an inside stateroom option. This is perfect for families with kids without needing to go all the way to a 1br/2br suite.

You see ships with more advanced tech. Where you can control everything from you phone, control blinds, control air.

You see ships with more varied room types. Where you can have a whirlpool tub looking out on your verandah, where you have quasi Oceanview/Verandah rooms where the top part of the window opens and you can create a verandah or you can keep it closed and expand the living area in the room.

So you will say which of these? Thats the point each has a specific need they fill. I am not sure I understand what the Wish is trying to do other than just be a cruise ship with Disney IP on it. I don't feel it fills the "adult" niche and comes up short of other "suite" niche options that other lines have. So you have the "kids" niche but is it going to be better than previous ships?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter