Unpopular Opinions- Wish Edition

TestingH2O

DIS Veteran
I’ve seen the concern about the adult pool, but surely I’m not the only one who has some other things they aren’t thrilled about with the new ship news.

For me, I groaned when I saw the Frozen restaurant. I think the show will probably be great, but the current Frozen menu on the Wonder is tied for my least favorite. If they recycle that, I’m going to be very disappointed.

Anyone else not excited about something everyone else seems really hyped about? Unpopular opinions only, so no commenting about how expensive we all know this will be.

In the interest of full disclosure, I still would love to give DCL all my money so I could stay in one of those Little Mermaid rooms over the bridge.

I’m not sure that this is a dislike, but I was kinda surprised by the lack of a third elevator bank in the deck plans. Sure it appears there are 8 elevators in each section but anyone else remember after deck parties? On the flip side it does not appear that the elevator will open in the middle of the buffet restaurant anymore either...

For context: We have sailed 20 times with DCL, so I am clearly not the usual cruiser. We go for the service and the quality not all the shows. Dining, wine/cocktails and relaxation are most important to us.

Need more information on adult lounges before I comment, but based on what’s left in the blue spaces with no labels, it looks small. The Star Wars Lounge is going to be packed all the time and it looks too small. They put kids areas directly adjacent to the adult restaurants which seems like a terrible idea. I was hoping for a third adult only restaurant. I would prefer not so much “show” with main dining, but on a short haul cruise, I understand why they did it.

1/2 of our sailings have been in concierge and it’s lovely with personalized service and getting to know folks in the lounge. With the massive expansion of the concierge area I think it will be a very different experience. And how in the world will they prioritize who gets a cabana on Castaway Cay? It’s already difficult. With the delay of Lighthouse Point, cabana availability is likely to be an issue until it opens.

This ship is going to be great for kids and families. And since it’s for short haul sailings, I don’t think most first time cruisers or those who spend a lot of family time will even notice the absence of adult spaces. My hope is that the next Triton class ship will be for longer itineraries and will be slightly reimagined with adult experiences more in mind.

Not excited about the Marvel dining room. It does not strike me as a classy, relaxing dining experience, but rather loud and chaotic and missing the Disney “magic” in an effort to include superheroes.

The fact that we didn’t see the actual dining area adds to this sterile feeling, I think. (I thought the same thing - but they only show the lobby). We always schedule Palo and Remy on Crush and Pirate nights as we want to avoid the loud and boisterous - but kids love it, so I totally understand why it’s there. We LOVE animation night - I had hoped to see something more like that on this ship.

I’ve seen the concern about the adult pool, but surely I’m not the only one who has some other things they aren’t thrilled about with the new ship news.

For me, I groaned when I saw the Frozen restaurant. I think the show will probably be great, but the current Frozen menu on the Wonder is tied for my least favorite. If they recycle that, I’m going to be very disappointed.

Anyone else not excited about something everyone else seems really hyped about? Unpopular opinions only, so no commenting about how expensive we all know this will be.

In the interest of full disclosure, I still would love to give DCL all my money so I could stay in one of those Little Mermaid rooms over the bridge.

-The « Beauty & The Beast« restaurant and bar look like they could be ... any restaurant and bar. Honestly, I was expecting something that looks like Be Our Guest... Which isn’t the case at all.

-A marvel restaurant... I just don’t see it and whatever it will be, I’m not confident I would like it.

But what is probably my most unpopular opinion:

-The lobby looks like a Princess cruise ship lobby but with a Cinderella statue and a blue carpet instead of marble. Very cute but not THAT special?

p.s.: Overall, I think I like the Dream and the Fantasy more?

EDIT: I have to agree with my husband... From the look of it, it looks like this ship focus even more on kids than the old ones. The offer for adults just seem smaller and smaller.

I’m not sure that this is a dislike, but I was kinda surprised by the lack of a third elevator bank in the deck plans. Sure it appears there are 8 elevators in each section but anyone else remember after deck parties? On the flip side it does not appear that the elevator will open in the middle of the buffet restaurant anymore either...
I wonder about this too. How much of a choke point will this be?

My hope is that the next Triton class ship will be for longer itineraries and will be slightly reimagined with adult experiences more in mind.
I agree that larger concierge sections will impact the intimacy of the experience. How nice is it that the spaces have ocean views now though? I do think that was an improvement over the Dream class.

As for the next ship, I also will be very interested to see what teams they make after seeing people actually use the Wish. They obviously made changes to the Fantasy after the Dream, so I assume they plan to iterate here too.

Not excited about the Marvel dining room. It does not strike me as a classy, relaxing dining experience, but rather loud and chaotic and missing the Disney “magic” in an effort to include superheroes.
Overall, I'm excited about the ship, but the Marvel dining room did not excite me or my daughter. She will be 18 when the ship is launched, and she asked me if we could book Palo for the night we are in the Marvel dining room. Of course there may be some logistical issues since we don't find out our dining rotation until we check in, but I told her if we couldn't make it work to be at Palo then there are other options.

I did not like the atrium stage concept or the fact that it looks like they are still planning to use the pool deck area for shows like sail away/pirate night. Was hoping they'd move away from cramming everyone into the atrium or pool deck standing-room-only with kids on shoulders to watch shows. Would have preferred if they had an open air stadium seating style stage for that kind of entertainment so people can actually sit to watch the shows.

Also, the "standard" concierge rooms don't look very nice (that 2-level one looks amazing, but never going to pay for that.) I actually prefer the non-concierge verandah room design to the verandah rooms in concierge.

I'm not a big Frozen fan and have no interest in Marvel. I also am not a big fan of the dining show concept, as I'd rather just eat in peace. So the Frozen and Avengers themed dining rooms don't appeal to me at all. One thing I loved about the first four ships was that the "Disney" aspect was subtle. While it was obvious you were on a Disney ship it wasn't just in your face all the time. I don't think there is anything subtle about the Wish. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Disney geek. I love the parks and we are DVC owners, but when I cruise I just want to relax. I don't need to hear Elsa sing Let it Go for the millionth time or have superheroes interrupt my dinner.

I'm still holding out hope that some of the undefined spaces will end up appealing to adults, but for right now this ship seems to be aimed squarely at families with young kids, and that's perfectly fine. I'm sure it will be a huge hit with their target market. I just don't see our family (all adults) clambering to get onboard.

Last edited:
Also, the "standard" concierge rooms don't look very nice (that 2-level one looks amazing, but never going to pay for that.)
At least they moved away from the pull out sofa that they have on the Dream class. But I agree. In general, the concierge verandah rooms are not that special. You choose them because of concierge services not the room itself.

Do not like the Marvel restaurant. No interest to me or my teenage daughter. And as she won't be old enough to go to Palo, not sure what we'll do that night - maybe the casual restaurant or room service!

I am not a fan of how much they have dedicated to Concierge. I can't afford concierge and compared to the Fantasy/Dream (in terms of ship size) there is now less space for the rest of us. Is Deck 14 above concierge also going to be dedicated to only those guests? Looks like the the space is at the expense of the kids club, edge and vibe as well as Adult Cove area. I will sail once for the experience but as my kids get older I'll stick to Fantasy/Dream as their space for kids 12+ exceeds what it looks like on Wish.

It does seem like they’ve given up the nautical feel and moved more heavily into IP.
That's a trend that we have seen more at Disney, with at WDW all the Disney characters at Art of Animation versus just a few at Pop Century.
In my corner of the world we see it in Disneyland Paris where our Studio Tram Tour gets a Cars overhaul and last week they announced the refurbishment of our Disneyland Hotel (Think Grand Floridian style) with Disney princess decor in the rooms.
It is probably what the majority of the guests want.

I wonder how much Covid changed the plans. A lot of the choices like a Frozen restaurant and Marvel etc. feel like 'What are we sure will bring in money' and dusting off Aladdin 'where can we save money'. More concierge space (probably didn't change much, but throwing it in anyway) = expensive rooms = more money.
It feels all like safe choices and creative poverty.

It does seem like they’ve given up the nautical feel and moved more heavily into IP.

I said this same thing to my husband. I’m actually fine with it though because this is one of the reasons my family and I choose Disney over another cruise line. RCL and others don’t have the depth of IP that Disney does. It’s special and different and unique...we are super excited to try the Wish and compare it to the others. We’ve been on 9 previous cruises, and have been on all four ships. Each ship has things I adore and other things I’m not really a fan of.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter