Unofficial Guide is out

BTW, some local libraries (like mine) have Hoopla Digital Services. If you have a library card and your library offers Hoopla Digital Services, you can download the 2019 Unofficial Guide to Disney World FOR FREE!!

I find the Hoopla versions more difficult to read, the formatting on the tables get messed up, and the pictures don’t come through.

I used to love reading the UG, I'd buy it every year and read it just for fun but that was mostly pre-internet. I don't need it any longer but I do subscribe to TP (really don't need that either) but I appreciate Len's work. I think the UG was sort of a first of its kind book when they began doing it. In the early days the only real competition was the Birnbaum guide, but that was Disney sanctioned and basically read like a press release.

For someone looking for a hard copy guide, I'd def. recommend the UG.:earsboy:

How does the Unofficial Guide differ than Birnbaums as far as content?
Hugely. UG has nothing fun for kids at all -- all text, as you saw. UG has personal anecdotes from readers who have written in, opinions from the authors and their researchers, touring tips, and more. Birnbaum's has a brief summary of each ride, maybe a generic tip here or there about best use of FP or best time to ride, something like that, and that's really it. Birnbaum's can be read in an hour. UG is helpful enough that I take notes while I read it (not for WDW anymore, because I don't need to, but I recently bought both books for our first DL trip that I'm planning. Birnbaum's was fine, but didn't tell me anything I couldn't learn from a quick google. I could also learn the UG tips from google, but it would take longer to find if I didn't have the Disboards, for example. It gave me tips that I didn't know I needed).

I love the Kindle version of the books. It's always there on my phone while in the parks. I can make notes and highlight things. I love the honesty, realism, and humor in the UG. It's the only travel guide that I have read that made me laugh out loud. My husband didn't understand until he read some of it. Some people think the books are negative; I just think they are realistic and don't sugar coat it. I also really like the behind-the-scenes info and the technical info of how the parks and rides operate. I think having both the guide and the online subscription are good. They are really kind of different beasts, especially if you are using the customized plans from the website.

Hugely. UG has nothing fun for kids at all -- all text, as you saw. UG has personal anecdotes from readers who have written in, opinions from the authors and their researchers, touring tips, and more. Birnbaum's has a brief summary of each ride, maybe a generic tip here or there about best use of FP or best time to ride, something like that, and that's really it. Birnbaum's can be read in an hour. UG is helpful enough that I take notes while I read it (not for WDW anymore, because I don't need to, but I recently bought both books for our first DL trip that I'm planning. Birnbaum's was fine, but didn't tell me anything I couldn't learn from a quick google. I could also learn the UG tips from google, but it would take longer to find if I didn't have the Disboards, for example. It gave me tips that I didn't know I needed).

AHHHHHH! Thank you so much for this. That helps my decision so much. I'll let the kids read the library Birnbaums but then we will buy the UG to take with us for my own research.

You're all very kind. Thank you.

FWIW, we're updating the Kindle version on roughly a monthly basis (the timing depends on how many updates are needed). If you've got an e-book reader, that's the format I'd suggest. We're still posting corrections to the website, of course, but the ebook is all in one place.

I love love having a reference BOOK even though I can find almost everything online. There’s something so much more user-friendly about the set-up of a print guide. And I agree ebook versions are not the same. UG are my favorite. Debating whether to hold out for the with kids version or get both! Problem is, we haven’t told the kids yet so I’ll need to hide the book!!!

I’ve had several UGs over the years. I appreciate the candid and sometimes irreverent writing style :)

IMO I think every Disney traveler should read it through at least once.

I’ve also enjoyed the UG kids version.

I own five UGs, first one dating back to 1991! Have always enjoyed them. Noticed one big boo boo in the 2019 though. It states that FP booking starts at midnight EST, not as we all know is at 7:00EST.

I own five UGs, first one dating back to 1991! Have always enjoyed them. Noticed one big boo boo in the 2019 though. It states that FP booking starts at midnight EST, not as we all know is at 7:00EST.
Len has been informed of the FP timing error.

And you have me beat - I purchased my first UG in ‘95 to prepare for what was to be our “one and only” 11-day trip to WDW. :D

Okay, can someone tell me if I'm crazy? I had seen the release date for the 2019 UG was Tuesday and was going to download the Kindle version. I went to Amazon on Tuesday and starting that day up to now, I cannot even access a page for the 2019 UG. I Google it but when I click on it it goes to the 2018 UG. Are others able to access it? Even if the Kindle version isn't available yet, I can't figure out why I can no longer see the Amazon page at all.

Okay, can someone tell me if I'm crazy? I had seen the release date for the 2019 UG was Tuesday and was going to download the Kindle version. I went to Amazon on Tuesday and starting that day up to now, I cannot even access a page for the 2019 UG. I Google it but when I click on it it goes to the 2018 UG. Are others able to access it? Even if the Kindle version isn't available yet, I can't figure out why I can no longer see the Amazon page at all.
Len (@lentesta) posted a few posts above regarding the Kindle version. You can PM him and he’ll respond or he may stop by here again. :-)

I just ordered from Amazon. I love still having a book to refer to. It does say that it won’t arrive until September 4-19th though.

Question for the wise ones, my first trip is next May and curious if I should get the regular version of this book or the kids? Is there a big difference between the two? If it helps, I'm not telling my kids (8,7,3) until about 2weeks before.

Question for the wise ones, my first trip is next May and curious if I should get the regular version of this book or the kids? Is there a big difference between the two? If it helps, I'm not telling my kids (8,7,3) until about 2weeks before.
It depends on how much of your trip you’ve already decided upon. If you pretty much have narrowed down when you’re going (sounds like you have) and generally where you’d like to stay, then the “with kids” version will help narrow down your plans in terms of what the kids may find appealing/frightening, etc. The bigger, general book includes more details of the when to go, where to stay, general travel info like getting cheapest airfare and also some info for other types of travelers (singles, older, etc.). Some of this is in the “with kids” book too, just more abridged.

For my first trip after a long hiatus, I read both. It was repetitive but I found both to be helpful in different ways.

Dunno if it is just me, but I was having trouble finding the kindle version of 2019.
i managed to stumble onto the page via a roundabout way.
Here is the ASIN if anyone else is having trouble:

B07FTQ5HRC

Enter this in on the amazon website and it should find the product page.

I have the UG Color Comapnion and I love it! Unofficial info combined with great pictures, it’s great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter