• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unofficial Guide - Comments

I think if you mix it with the Official guide, take most of what is said in it with a grain of salt, you can digest it without too much heartburn. I do find most of it very cynical though.

I the daily plans are the most useful thing in the book. I do not agree with a lot of the reviews of resorts and dining.

I agree with Skiwee they always seem to promote the method of "cheating the Disney system".

I will stick with these forums and when I need an detailed plan I will go with TourguideMike.

I bought my first UOG in 2003. The first time I read it, I was shocked that someone was giving BAD reviews about my Dream vacation stop. So I dropped it and didn't pick it up for 2 years. Now that I read it, and after I have been 5 more times since then, I have to admit...I have changed my opinion! I'm looking forward to buying the 2005 edition. I think I wanted sugar coating when I first bought it....now tell me the truth!!!

Thanks for letting me share my opinion!

Chris

I love the UG, and one of my very favorite things about it was exemplified in Len Testa's reply to this thread: humor! These people are very funny. Not many books make me laugh out loud, but this one does.

As for being critical of WDW, well, you don't have to share the UG's criticisms of particular things to find the book valuable. Many many DIS threads (about thievery, bad meals, bad resort stays, broken or defunct rides, crowds, park hours too long or short, rude CMs, line -cutters, shall I go on???) are on the negative sidee, but I don't let them dictate my own view.

Anyway, the OP has a right to like or not like any particular book. There's no right or wrong when it comes to these kinds of personal preferences. Next time, you can make other choices, and be happier with them.

Well, who knew? Len with a tattoo!!!! :earsboy: Very cool.

But I have a question for Terry and the other poster who said the UG 'cheats'. Could you give me an example? I can't think of what or where you mean. Yes, they give some shortcuts but, my word...with all that traipsing all over the park, back and forth, how can it be cheating? Or am I missing something? Just curious.

I'm another fan of the Unofficial guide, and I have recommended it to many folks over the years. Everyone I've recommended it to has found it to be a valuable planning tool for their trips.

The reason why I like it is they tell it like it is. They don't sugar coat it. It gives you a lot of useful information that helps you make the most of your time and money. Yes, they are tough on the food, but let's face it, the food at Disney isn't always that good. It's over priced, and less than stellar.

I have had the pleasure of meeting both Bob Shelinger and Len Testa, and both of them are very passionate about Disney, and their products. I spent a bit of time talking to each of them individual on a Drink Around the World at Epcot in December 2003, and they joined me and other DISers for an evening at Jellyrolls that evening (I even dragged Len into the conga line). They make frequent trips to the World to make sure that they are providing the most accurate and up to date information in the guide.

And, of course, I agree that the DIS is a valuable tool as well. Where else can you get pretty much instantaneous responses to anay question you have. We have a great group of people here.

Karen

I just have to board the UG Love Train, too...

When we decided to make our first trip to DW, the very first "planning" thing I did was to buy the UG...and boy, am I glad I did! The information in that book was invaluable, and I loved the humorous way it was presented.

These boards are wonderful, they are up-to-the-second accurate, and I will never leave them, but the UG will always be my first love! :lovestruc

Becky

Another fan of the UG here - the level of detail is boggling, and the humor adds to it in a way that keeps me buying each version every year. Even as a first-time trip planner I appreciated the realism of the UG, finding Birnbaum's nauseatingly (and seemingly falsely) upbeat - I mean, no vacation can be *that* perfect. I'd much rather be prepared for the worst and pleasantly surprised than the opposite.

A comment RE: the All-Stars - I happen to adore ASMu and don't love its disparagement in the UG, but I've also seen similar - if not stronger - negativity about the Value resorts here at the DIS and among acquaintances as well. If anything, the UG does reflect that (apparently sizeable) portion of the population who simply do not like them. I simply choose to disagree. :)

henrylovespooh said:
I

For lodging, we are staying at ASMo this time because we're going at peak time and we wanted to save money that could be used better elsewhere. The Guide's write-up on the Value Resorts starts with: "If you're planning to save for a Disney vacation, save enough for a bigger room." Well, not everyone can.

I wanted to put the quote from UG regarding the All-Stars in context. "If you are planning to save for years for your grand Disney vacation, save enough money for a bigger room"

I think the writers are referring to those who plan to visit one time and will be (obviously) saving for years. I don't think they were making any statements about people who have small budgets.

Please tell me how UG condones "cheating"?

Len, that is the SAME tatoo I want to get!! I am sooo jealous....

J.C.&ALI'SMOM said:
I'm bumping for an answer to my question.
I think they are referring to the Chuck Bubba Relay where both parents wait in line separately to get the kids 2 turns on a ride with only one waiting period?

Hi, Just wanted to mention to check into your local library for WDW resource books. You may be suprised what you will find. I just borrowed a Birnbaum for kids guide from 2003. A little old but still helpful. I like the passport book. Lisa

I have read my copy that I bought last October so many times it is the most worn out book I have. I love it!

We're planning our first family trip to WDW in a few weeks. Our planning began with the UG almost 8 months ago. These boards have great detailed info, but the UG gave a comprehensive starting point. I'm the type of person that wants to hear about all potentially not so great aspects of WDW. We knew we were going to be spending a lot of money on this and we also knew that we were going to during a VERY busy time. The UG prepared us for being realistic in our expectations and forced us to plan our trip in a way that we will still really enjoy it despite the crowd.

I can perhaps see why WDW veterans who have their own opinions on the accomodations, restaurants and attraction may not find much use for it. But, for newbies like us, it gave a great starting point for our planning and really got us thinking about our trip in a way that other guides would not. For example, I don't think any of the other guides would have got us really thinking about exactly what it would be like to tour the parks with our kids. UG has a detailed guide on the character meals and the ratio of characters to diners. The UG gives you enough detail that you can plan out which parks you would visit on which day on a multi-day stay. The data on estimated travel times by various modes from resorts to parks and resort to resort. Again, all of this was invaluable for a trip like ours which is happening during one of the three busiest weeks at WDW all year. It would have taken us months to figure all of that stuff out as Newbies just by reading posts on the DIS boards!

Jumpin' in late, but I lurve the UG too! I started reading it way before I found the DIS (all I had was RAD [see Internet, history of]) and it was the only even-handed reference there was. Even now, I read each new addition because I learn new things - yes, even things that I don't learn here - and because it's an amusing and well-written reference.

More than anything else, I trust the folks who put out the UG. I don't always agree with every review - just like with my trusted movie, music, book and TV critics - but I know that they are honest.

Be well.

PS To the OP: all you're going to find around here is folks who are generally pro-Disney; I'm not sure what kind of person would hate Disney but read and post on the DIS....

My kids think I am obsessed because my copy of the UG is in the pocket of the driver's door of my car, so I can always "escape" to WDW while waiting to pick up from hockey, basketball or CCD. I love, love, love it.

Anyone know when to expect the revised version to come out? I checked our bookstore 2 weeks ago and it still had the first 2005 version (the one before the ticket and EMH changes) -

I like UG too and am ready for the latest!

I just bought my very first UG. I am a huge passporter fan.. but tired out waiting for the 2005 books to ship, so I bought a UG. I haven't formed a solid opinion of it yet, but I think I am going to like it. I like the touring guides. I think it is a good compliment to the passporter when it comes to planning our trip.

I also know that I can get 99.99999% of the info that both UG and passporter have in their books right here on the boards, but I know that I like to lay down and read before I go to bed, and there is nothing better than falling asleep with a planning book in hand and dreaming about disney!!!!!!!!!!

lham1531 said:
Anyone know when to expect the revised version to come out? I checked our bookstore 2 weeks ago and it still had the first 2005 version (the one before the ticket and EMH changes) -

I like UG too and am ready for the latest!

I'm wondering too. :sad2: I'm getting impatient!!

I totally agree OP. I do not care for the book one little bit. I use it for toilet paper for the dog. (Okay, I really don't have a dog :teeth: )

I have no issues with the unbias opinions, but I do like to get the opinions from people that actually enjoy their visit to WDW. That is why I come to these boards. Not haters of WDW, but people who tell their experiences.
*Just a side note, I do not purchase the Offical Guide because it is laced with pixie-dust from Disney, therefore it is completely bias. Again, the reason I come to these boards.

The individuals who work for UG and write their opinons may as well be writing, "I hate Disney World, what a sucky job I have, I cannot believe I have to go to WDW again just to get this stupid book out." :crazy: Sorry Len, you may have Mickey tatooed on your ankle, but you have cynicism tatooed on every page of the book.*In the book they make comments that they have been accused of being "cynical" but swear they are not - if a lot of people are getting that from the book, there must be a reason for it.

In defense of the guide, I do not see where they are condoning cheating or anything of the sort. The only thing I see is the writers provding short-cuts to make your trip easier. I think that is unfair to accuse them of providing documentation on how to cheat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter