Universal versus Disney, Disney wins for us

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
We did a short trip to Universal. I haven't been there in almost 16 years. We stood at Cabana Bay and loved the resort. The theming was awesome and they capture every detail there! I felt like I stepped back in time! It was so clean!!! I also loved how they had characters in the lobby. The buses were great! We never waited more than a few minutes for one to come and the ride was quick. I liked how security was before City Walk and it was very quick and efficient. The park was great again as far as theming but it just wasn't for us. My daughters and I don't like those 3D simulator rides or roller coasters. We get motion sickness and they aren't that brave for roller coasters. I miss the old Jaws ride and the subway ride etc. Rides like Disney has that everyone can go on. It seemed like every ride there had the motion warning. So in that respect we missed Disney. My kids loved the Harry Potter section! We spent most of our time there. So I felt Universal blew Disney away with the theming of the resort (Disney is lacking in that lately the rooms have become blah), the buses were much more frequent, bus rides were so much shorter, security was much faster, not having to decide where to eat 6 months ahead time (walking in with no wait). The only real flaw with Universal was that I didn't think their signs were great. I wasn't sure where to go for buses, how to get to the parks/City walk once dropped off and things just weren't labeled as well. I was able to figure it out but I just felt it wasn't as well labeled and staffed in that respect. I would have liked stores to be listed in their map, online etc. I also wasn't sure where to go to see characters etc. I can see Universal being great for older kids and boys ( I have 2 girls) and people that like the motion stuff. Sadly it just wasn't for us ride wise. I would love to try another of their resorts though!

Glad you had a wonderful trip!:) Nice to hear such a great review about CBBR and it's fantastic theme! While our family LOVES Universal, I agree that Disney does have more rides that appeal to people of all ages- and Universal is heavy on 3D simulators. The relaxing nature of a Universal vacation and the wonderful hotels and stellar staff has us staying at a Universal hotel even when we visit the Disney parks!

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip!:thumbsup2

Appreciate you sharing with us.

It is always confusing the first time you do a new theme park.
Whenever you return in the future, you'll be familiar with the set up and do fine at the parks and city walk.

People that stay at Cbay always marvel on how much they enjoy it.

Hi glad you shared your trip. I am glad that you had some nice experiences. We love Universal I do have older teens that I take and are pretty flexible. I can understand the motion sickness. I am a big fan of Cabana bay. I have stayed there 3 times and always have a good time. Glad you enjoyed the resort. Universal has great resorts and that's great you want to try another.

minnie, did you eat at the Cbay hotel?
Was there anything really different in their menu that was not at the parks?

Hope if you did eat there, that it was marvelous!

I have horrible motion sickness -- but got a prescription for the patch you wear behind your ear and now motion simulators don't bother me a bit. Maybe next time you can look into that. I could even do Forbidden Journey with no problem. Had a problem the first time I rode it without the patch.

Reactions: shh
will 2nd that for anyone reading who deals with motion sickness. NOTHING helped my DH - not bonine, bands, ginger or anything else - until the patch. Now, not only can he go boating and snorkeling - which we enjoy being so close to the keys - but he can do the HP rides and most other ones without feeling bad afterwards. (He still doesn't love coasters and skips those, but it's much better than it was when he couldn't go on anything.) I call it our miracle drug! :lovestruc

minnie, did you eat at the Cbay hotel?
Was there anything really different in their menu that was not at the parks?

Hope if you did eat there, that it was marvelous!
Yes we went to Starbucks and the Bayliner diner. They had several windows similar to Disney's resorts. There were different things a big variety. Also some great pre packed things both cold and dry, like cheese, fruit etc. I didn't go for breakfast because my one daughter has allergies so it was easier to feed her in the room. My other daughter and husband went down and they said there was a big selection for breakfast as well. Their only issue was it was 6:59am with people waiting and the woman is looking at her watch waiting to open at 7:00am. When you are trying to make it to the park at by 8:00 that was a little frustrating.

I know this is older but one thing I found helpful was the app vs paper map. The app had everything listed and you could sort by lots of categories (family rides, thrill rides, water rides, shops, restaurants...) and it has a walking feature that will navigate you to where you want to go. :)

Interesting..my daughter has a hatd time with 3d motion simulators, even just regular 3d movies make her sick which ia one reason why we always go to disney. We love the "magic" of disney as well...I am often moved to tears at the magic kingdom. Lol. Do you get that magical feeling at universal?

Interesting..my daughter has a hatd time with 3d motion simulators, even just regular 3d movies make her sick which ia one reason why we always go to disney. We love the "magic" of disney as well...I am often moved to tears at the magic kingdom. Lol. Do you get that magical feeling at universal?
No I didn't get that magical feeling there either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter