Universal FAQ's

If I buy a 2 day ticket to Universal Studios and decide to go a 3rd and 4th day, can I add days to my tickets while at the park? Do you have to do this before you leave on that 2nd day, or can I do it anytime?

We're going January 12-19th. Is it possible to do both parks in 1 day? There's 4 of us, all adults. (We are probably aiming for going Jan. 13th to US/IOA.)

Are the crowds comparable to what Disney has at the same time or do you think WWoHP will keep things busy?

If I buy a 2 day ticket to Universal Studios and decide to go a 3rd and 4th day, can I add days to my tickets while at the park? Do you have to do this before you leave on that 2nd day, or can I do it anytime?
Any upgrade needs to be before you leave the park on the last day your ticket is valid. Most tickets can be upgraded though.

We're going January 12-19th. Is it possible to do both parks in 1 day? There's 4 of us, all adults. (We are probably aiming for going Jan. 13th to US/IOA.)

Are the crowds comparable to what Disney has at the same time or do you think WWoHP will keep things busy?

It's hard to tell at this point. Typically it isn't busy at that time but the attendance has been unpredictably high since Harry Potter opened.

My apologies if this has already been answered but I haven't found it answered yet. I was wondering if credit cards are accepted at the shops, food stands and restaraunts inside USO and if so what cards are accepted? We will be attending the halloween horror nights and might purchase food and drinks and maybe even shop a tad while we are there and wanted to know if we needed to plan and have extra cash or if we can just use our credit card? Thanks:)

My apologies if this has already been answered but I haven't found it answered yet. I was wondering if credit cards are accepted at the shops, food stands and restaraunts inside USO and if so what cards are accepted? We will be attending the halloween horror nights and might purchase food and drinks and maybe even shop a tad while we are there and wanted to know if we needed to plan and have extra cash or if we can just use our credit card? Thanks:)
Credit cards are accepted practically everywhere except some carts.

Newbie posting but I´ve been reading this wonderful forum for almost 6 months now and I just wanted to say thank you :worship: I have just arrived from my 10 day trip to Orlando and had a wonderful time. All your tips and suggestions just made things soooo much easier.

I´m going to write a trip report with lots of pics (I know you like trip reports :)) as thank you to all of you. At the moment I´m still sorting pics out as I have too many of them :laughing:, so just give me a couple of days to get things started.

Thanks again

Are annual passes only for sale by Universal directly? Is there anywhere to get them cheaper from a dealer?

Good Afternoon,

we are going to be going to IOA/US Feb 10-Feb 13 and have been trying to find what rides are usually down that time of year, can anyone help?

thank you

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

I'm now considering a trip to IOA next year. I know lots about Disney, but virutally nothing about Universal. I'd love to take my kids, one has autism.
Last year at EPCOT I obtained a guest assistance card which allowed us to use the wheelchair entrance for her. It worked out very well for her and for me. But I wonder does IOA offer something similar? I have not come across anything about wheelchair entrances for any attractions at Universal. Does Universal offfer its guests with non physical disablities any special accomodations?
Thanks

I'm not sure if my information is correct. Can anyone offer help.

I'd like to stay at the Royal Pacific. I plan to buy a one day one park ticket.
1) can I buy that ticket months in advance - my trip is for Aug 2011?

2) the child is 9 years old now but will be 10 next year. Can I buy the child's ticket at the child rate now?

3) I'm staying onsite. Do I get any other special perk aside from the express pass program and the free transportation to the park?

thanks! I know loads about Disney but hardly anything about Universal.

I'm not sure if my information is correct. Can anyone offer help.

I'd like to stay at the Royal Pacific. I plan to buy a one day one park ticket.
1) can I buy that ticket months in advance - my trip is for Aug 2011?

2) the child is 9 years old now but will be 10 next year. Can I buy the child's ticket at the child rate now?

3) I'm staying onsite. Do I get any other special perk aside from the express pass program and the free transportation to the park?

thanks! I know loads about Disney but hardly anything about Universal.
1) Yes...you can buy the ticket now...it will still be valid as long as you don't activate it at the gate.

2) If your child will be 10 before your trip, I would go ahead and purchase the adult ticket for her. It's only $8.00 more.

3) Onsite guests receive unlimited Express access, priority seating at restaurants with your room key and early entry into WWoHP...if nothing changes.

Are annual passes only for sale by Universal directly? Is there anywhere to get them cheaper from a dealer?

like to know too.

can you upgrade 7 day tx from a broker for an AP? what is cost of AP? TIAprincess:

Thank you for the information. Guess we'll buy them at AAA and trade in the gift cards for Universal Bucks.:confused3

Wow, I've never been to Universal and this thread is wonderful.

I'm still totally at a loss regarding how long to spend at Universal. Could you please advise?

It's me, my DH, and four kids ages 12, 10, 8 and 5 (6 in December).

We were at WDW for first time ever last year for five days and loved it.

This time, we have four days, and I don't know how to divide it. I've been reading differing opinions, some say 2 days at Universal (for both parks) is enough, and some say 3 days (1 1/2 days each park).

How would you divide the four days up with kids of my age-range?? They love Harry Potter and since we're probably staying off-site I'm wondering if I should add in more time because of the lines.

And if I do 3 days at Universal, where would you suggest for the fourth day? (I'm thinking of Kennedy Space Centre - has anyone been there with kids of my age-range? We've also never done Seaworld, or anything else besides WDW).

Also, we're coming from overseas, which makes the decision so important, as we can't just hop over there on a weekend if we feel we need another dose of parks!

thanks for your help! It's impossible to decide.

You are actually hitting at the perfect time. The 5th will be busy because it's the first day of the Holidays (read more about them here)
But the rest of the week you should be golden as far as crowds. I would definitely recommend a day per park. Arrive before opening, which I believe during that time of year is 9 a.m. If there is a crowd, they'll let you in early. Make an immediate bee line for Potter (take a left at Green eggs and ham to avoid the longer trek around Seuss Landing). You will spend most of the day there between the lines for the attractions and shops. Then spend the rest of the day around the rest of the park. You may need Express later in the afternoon, but that time of year and in the middle of the week? Probably not. I would definitely recommend doing the queue for Forbidden Journey once, riding together probably the first time. After that, hit single riders. Travel as light as possible, not taking much in the way of bags as you'll have to stow them in a locker if you do...the lockers are free for rides they are required on (such as Forbidden Journey) but the line for the lockers get rather long.
Save butterbeer and any eating for after you have ridden FJ as many times as you want. You may experience upset tummys otherwise. The rest of the park just do it as you see it. I would recommend doing Jurassic Park then walking all the way around doing the other attractions until you get back to WWOHP. See it right before closing, all lit up. It's gorgeous.
The key to doing the Studios is to do the rides up front first. That means Rockit (if it's open) then Shrek, then Jimmy Neutron, then Mummy. Twister is usually walk on all day, and rides like Disaster, JAWS, and ET go quick. MIB has a great single riders line, but you will be split up, just like FJ. Turns whatever wait is listed to a walk on.
Around 4 or 5, they will have the Macy's Day parade which will feature Santa, and candy. Best seat is on the corner near Mummy and Twister. They do a tree lighting ceremony every night, and they will open the Christmas Village around 3 p.m.
I would say a day at each, then spend a third day going back between the two parks to do your favorites would be enough. The 4th day, go to Sea World. Great coasters, but the Christmas shows will only be on the weekend. So you may want to do it first, on that Sunday. Save Universal for the rest of the week. The crowds should be fairly light, except in Potter. During that time, expect Disney slow time crowds. 45 minute waits.
Hope this helps.

You are actually hitting at the perfect time. The 5th will be busy because it's the first day of the Holidays (read more about them here)
But the rest of the week you should be golden as far as crowds. I would definitely recommend a day per park. Arrive before opening, which I believe during that time of year is 9 a.m. If there is a crowd, they'll let you in early. Make an immediate bee line for Potter (take a left at Green eggs and ham to avoid the longer trek around Seuss Landing). You will spend most of the day there between the lines for the attractions and shops. Then spend the rest of the day around the rest of the park. You may need Express later in the afternoon, but that time of year and in the middle of the week? Probably not. I would definitely recommend doing the queue for Forbidden Journey once, riding together probably the first time. After that, hit single riders. Travel as light as possible, not taking much in the way of bags as you'll have to stow them in a locker if you do...the lockers are free for rides they are required on (such as Forbidden Journey) but the line for the lockers get rather long.
Save butterbeer and any eating for after you have ridden FJ as many times as you want. You may experience upset tummys otherwise. The rest of the park just do it as you see it. I would recommend doing Jurassic Park then walking all the way around doing the other attractions until you get back to WWOHP. See it right before closing, all lit up. It's gorgeous.
The key to doing the Studios is to do the rides up front first. That means Rockit (if it's open) then Shrek, then Jimmy Neutron, then Mummy. Twister is usually walk on all day, and rides like Disaster, JAWS, and ET go quick. MIB has a great single riders line, but you will be split up, just like FJ. Turns whatever wait is listed to a walk on.
Around 4 or 5, they will have the Macy's Day parade which will feature Santa, and candy. Best seat is on the corner near Mummy and Twister. They do a tree lighting ceremony every night, and they will open the Christmas Village around 3 p.m.
I would say a day at each, then spend a third day going back between the two parks to do your favorites would be enough. The 4th day, go to Sea World. Great coasters, but the Christmas shows will only be on the weekend. So you may want to do it first, on that Sunday. Save Universal for the rest of the week. The crowds should be fairly light, except in Potter. During that time, expect Disney slow time crowds. 45 minute waits.
Hope this helps.

Wow, Yaytez, what fantastic advice, thank you so much.

Would you say Sea World over the Kennedy Space Centre? (My kids and husband love all the space stuff. Also, I'm wondering, in December, wouldn't it be cold for Seaworld since you get wet on a lot of the rides?)

Now, in terms of tickets, what type would you buy, the hoppers for those 3 days? Or two basics and one hopper for the last day - can you even do that?

Last question, and I appreciate your patience...My huge dilemma now is to stay onsite or off. You made me feel better with what you wrote about the crowds, but everyone seems to suggest that the FOTL benefit from the on-site hotels are a must and so wonderful. On the other hand, it's so much more economical for a family of 6 to stay off-site. What do you think?

thanks again, so much.

btw, if the 5th is the beginning of the holidays, wouldn't the rest of the week following be busy too because of those holidays?

Let's go backwards! The 4th is the beginning of the Holiday program. The weekends will be busy, but the truly busy season doesn't begin until the day after Christmas.
I would say buy the hopper tickets for all three days, that way if you run out of stuff to do at one park you can jump over to the other park. Or here's a thought...buy an annual pass. I dont know what the ticket prices are, but sometimes I've heard it's cheaper to buy an annual pass. You get discounts plus it's good for a year, which you can use for next year as long as you come before the expiration date. There's also the power pass that has blackout dates, but those are usually in the summer and the week after Christmas.
I would say Sea World if your family likes rides and Christmas stuff. There are also a ton of great shows.On the 5th they will run the Christmas program which offers shows at night that are different than the shows during the day. As for getting wet, how wet you get depends on you. There is one water ride, and several shows. You can get wet in the shows, but they have designated "splash zones". Don't sit in the splash zones and you wont get wet. Besides, this is Florida. It usually isn't what you would consider "cold". Last year was an exception.
Onsite is more expensive, but you get the FOTL....which you may not need. It's within walking distance from the park, and you get an extra hour of Potter...meaning if the park opens at 9, you get in at 8 just for Potter. I've heard you can do the whole experience in less than an hour if crowds are light, which they should be, and you also have a better chance of seeing things like Olivanders.

If you choose to do offsite, I would recommend going through the Priceline Negotiator (JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES Tkirk). If you PM me I can share a secret or two about that.
Offsite you may get a place that has free breakfast, and it would be cheaper as you wouldn't have to pay for parking on site at the hotel. So lots of ups and downs to offsite vs. onsite.

As for KSC, I dont know...I haven't been in years, but they have added some stuff. I've always heard it's less than a half day experience, unless they were launching the shuttle...which at that point they wont be.

Tamaraten, if your Dh and kids are into the space stuff, I'd say go for that visit to KSC. We had the annual pass last year through this year. The visit to KSC can take from a half day to a full day- depending on your pace (they are only open until 6pm). They have a great tour with 3 stops that's included with admission or you can take the other tours that they offer for an additional cost. Oh, and the shuttle launch experience simulator is pretty good too. Your admission to KSC also includes entrance to the Astronaut Hall of Fame museum which is also another neat place to visit. On shuttle launch days, KSC is closed to the public unless you have a ticket to watch the launch. The next launch is actually tomorrow and the next one is targeted for Feb. so you should be good.

ETA: The launch is set for the end of Nov. If it gets delayed you may have a chance to watch it. The tickets to see as close as possible are sold out. Although, the next closest would be in Titusville. If you all decide to go, get there early and expect 2 hours or more of getting out of that little town. We went last May and it took us forever to get out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter